~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1405 Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Rant Alert! My arm is infected, spent the evening at the urgent care.... I'm an adult, I don't need a lecture. I'm a bit looney at times - I just need my arm fixed. I know its infected, don't treat me like im a psycho - cuz i'm not. I didn't even want to come here tonight, but my shrink convinced me to- and what I was afraid of is happening, People are treating me like dirt. I cut, get over it. Fix my freaking arm. Ya i went somewhere else for stitches 2 wks ago), right now just deal with the infection. Write me an rx and send me on my flipping way. Some people should NOT work in the medical field. Rant over

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 1405 Old 07-13-2013, 10:34 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Rant Alert! My arm is infected, spent the evening at the urgent care.... I'm an adult, I don't need a lecture. I'm a bit looney at times - I just need my arm fixed. I know its infected, don't treat me like im a psycho - cuz i'm not. I didn't even want to come here tonight, but my shrink convinced me to- and what I was afraid of is happening, People are treating me like dirt. I cut, get over it. Fix my freaking arm. Ya i went somewhere else for stitches 2 wks ago), right now just deal with the infection. Write me an rx and send me on my flipping way. Some people should NOT work in the medical field. Rant over

So sorry that happened to you.  I hope your arm heals quickly. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#483 of 1405 Old 07-13-2013, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Makes ya almost wanna go in with a note from your psych like you are a 5 year old huh?  At least they care, which is better than if they didn't I suppose.  It's like every time I go to the ER with a kid who's hurt and they give me the third degree over how it happened.  I know I didn't hurt my kid.  They don't though.  So I put up with it and don't complain because there ARE people that hurt their kids and then take them to the ER to be fixed up.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#484 of 1405 Old 07-13-2013, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Zebra, I'm so sorry that happened to you.  How awful all the way around.  Please take care of yourself.

Had a long talk with the hubs.  Things aren't perfect, I'm still upset obviously, but a lot of good came out of the initial conversation at least.  I'm on guard still and I'm hoping for our future.

Taking the kids to the park then coming home for popcorn and one of our yard sale movies we haven't gotten to yet.  Woop!

#485 of 1405 Old 07-13-2013, 07:49 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

To answer a couple folks' questions:

My "sister"  was my foster sister when we were kids; she was never legally adopted. I have 3 more sisters with this same relationship. We call each other sister, and have a true sister bond. But we are not technically related. She has dual (actually triple) citizenship - US, British, and Polish - due to her birth parents' nationalities. But even if we were "real" relatives, the aunt/niece relationship is not close enough by British law to sponsor DD. Yes, DD can come as a tourist or visitor. That is no problem. But if my sister doesn't have a live-in carer, officially, she will lose her apartment. It will take about 6-8 weeks for DD to get a passport. In that time, my Mom and I can come up with the plane fare.

The only way I can see around this mess is to leave her son or daughter as the official carer, on paper.  Not for the money, but to justify the 2 bedroom apartment. I don't know if either of them would be willing to do this - I imagine it is a legal risk. And a risk for my sister as well. If we somehow got "caught", it might seriously screw up her eligibility for services, and she is very much dependent. She works part-time from home; she has been a website-designer for many years, but she is losing her ability to type as her skin hardens and she loses dexterity in her fingers. She already is typing with her knuckles. I am planning to call her tomorrow morning to talk with her about all this. Another stupid money issue: my only phone is my work cell phone. My agency is fine with me using it for my personal phone (perk of working for an amazingly understanding non-profit!), but I can't make overseas calls, of course. Had to borrow a friend's phone for the occasion. Yuck!

Zebra - I totally get what you are saying about the condescending, patronizing attitude of some hospital staff. I know they may mean well, their hearts may be in the right place, but, shit, it wouldn't hurt for them to act with a little respect!

Happyhats - I know what you are saying about lying being the biggest issue. Trust is the very foundation of a relationship. If he couldn't trust you enough to be honest, and if now you don't know how much you can trust him, it creates huge questions. Is there any chance you could get some couples counseling? This doesn't need to be a deal breaker, but without some intervention, it could get to that stage.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#486 of 1405 Old 07-13-2013, 07:49 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

To answer a couple folks' questions:

My "sister"  was my foster sister when we were kids; she was never legally adopted. I have 3 more sisters with this same relationship. We call each other sister, and have a true sister bond. But we are not technically related. She has dual (actually triple) citizenship - US, British, and Polish - due to her birth parents' nationalities. But even if we were "real" relatives, the aunt/niece relationship is not close enough by British law to sponsor DD. Yes, DD can come as a tourist or visitor. That is no problem. But if my sister doesn't have a live-in carer, officially, she will lose her apartment. It will take about 6-8 weeks for DD to get a passport. In that time, my Mom and I can come up with the plane fare.

The only way I can see around this mess is to leave her son or daughter as the official carer, on paper.  Not for the money, but to justify the 2 bedroom apartment. I don't know if either of them would be willing to do this - I imagine it is a legal risk. And a risk for my sister as well. If we somehow got "caught", it might seriously screw up her eligibility for services, and she is very much dependent. She works part-time from home; she has been a website-designer for many years, but she is losing her ability to type as her skin hardens and she loses dexterity in her fingers. She already is typing with her knuckles. I am planning to call her tomorrow morning to talk with her about all this. Another stupid money issue: my only phone is my work cell phone. My agency is fine with me using it for my personal phone (perk of working for an amazingly understanding non-profit!), but I can't make overseas calls, of course. Had to borrow a friend's phone for the occasion. Yuck!

Zebra - I totally get what you are saying about the condescending, patronizing attitude of some hospital staff. I know they may mean well, their hearts may be in the right place, but, shit, it wouldn't hurt for them to act with a little respect!

Happyhats - I know what you are saying about lying being the biggest issue. Trust is the very foundation of a relationship. If he couldn't trust you enough to be honest, and if now you don't know how much you can trust him, it creates huge questions. Is there any chance you could get some couples counseling? This doesn't need to be a deal breaker, but without some intervention, it could get to that stage.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#487 of 1405 Old 07-14-2013, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

had a lot of cheap/free fun this week with the kids and I am beat!

tuesday me and the xdh took the kids to the amusement park which we got memberships for

wednesday was a free puppet show via the library by one of the best puppetry companies in the area, the kids LOVED it!

thursday: Free family fun nights at the historical farmstead

Friday we went shopping =) I got some good deals at the kmart that is closing, put some things away for gifts

saturday: swimming at a church friends pool!

I need to figure out our mini vacation soon, DS starts school in 1 month and I start a few days later!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#488 of 1405 Old 07-14-2013, 03:12 PM

Hi all. I am not new here, and not new to being low income. :)

My husband started a commission based only job and its been a rough few months.

I am going to read and note any tips etc.

This month we were unable to pay some bills. :(

We have a trip in August to visit my family in Europe, they paid for the trip for us. I don't know what I would've done without their help so we can see our family.

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#489 of 1405 Old 07-15-2013, 04:25 PM

Just another financial struggler here- like some of you I chose to stay home (and homeschool) although it meant poverty.

My husband and I didn't anticipate the extent of poverty we've experienced, but we've made it through to this point somehow. I've actually had quite a few jobs over the years, but no career.

One thing that bugs me is people who assume they are somehow better or more intelligent than me because they have a profession.

Now my kids are grown, just one teen left. Sometimes I wonder if staying home was worth it because of all the stress our finances have caused for the whole family. But yes, it was worth it.

I am currently employed as a driver of an eighteen-wheeler. I don't recommend that for a job, LOL!  I am trying to come up with a more eco-friendly  income.

Those of you enduring health insurance and bill-paying issues, I can relate.

#490 of 1405 Old 07-15-2013, 05:35 PM

welcome, ladies!

I have all the passwords now, I have talked heavily with dh, and I think we are on the right path.  But emotionally I"m just depleted.  I was sick last week, my son is being even more high needs than usual, and I keep seeing the pantry staples dwiddle.  I'm feeling pretty down on myself.   A few more days and we will be able to restock the food, another month and we can pay the credit card off, we'll have the 401k paid off by the end of the year.  I know all that logically, but my mind is just racing with what I should cook, what we will eat for this meal and that meal, how to save and how to make more money, etc.  I just need to make my mind quiet down today and reboot. 

#491 of 1405 Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Well I was thinking about silver linings today and...STBX gets to take the credit card debt so I don't have to stress about it anymore!

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#492 of 1405 Old 07-15-2013, 07:13 PM

that's a defenite plus, micah.  I'm in a similar position if we were ever to divorce, pretty much all the debt is his.  Thankfully we aren't in that position though. 

We saw a rainbow.  And apple chamomile tea is pretty darn tasty iced.  So today hasn't been all bad.  

#493 of 1405 Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM

I wish I could reply to everyone, but I just don't have the energy tonight. I have been reading and thinking of you all. 

This has been a horrible week here - no FS, pc problems from it simply getting too old {my laptop is about 8 years old}, people backing out on CL sales {including the person I had lined up to buy the central a/c system I have for sale, which I was counting on selling}, mystery sickness, my cycle hitting, my sewing machine malfunctioning {it needs a tuneup which costs $70}, and then to top it off woke up to a sopping wet mess in the laundry room - apparently one of the pipes cracked right at the foundation. We tried putting plumber's putty on it to seal it - no luck. It decreased a little, and it's more directed outside than inside now, but still leaking. SO I ended up spending the last money I had on a water shut off tool so I can turn it on & off at the meter. I've got at least 3 or 4 loads of sopping wet laundry to do tomorrow, plus probably another load from mopping while I do the laundry. There is a city program that will fix it for free BUT last time I had to call that city office it took nearly 2 weeks to get an appointment, plus then another week for the actual appointment. 

I have some stuff to ship, and once it's received I can get paid enough to cover part of the bills, but I just can't seem to hold onto cash long enough to get it shipped :( 

And this is a total vent, but it's Ramadan {the holidays for Muslims} and I feel horrible because I can't fast because of my health, I can't go to any of the events because they are all too late at night to get home on the bus, I have nothing for Eid gifts, no money to buy then with and can't sew any with my machine broken, and I'm just feeling very disconnected this year. I have all these great plans for making it really special for my dd since this is her first Ramadan & Eid, but nothing is working and I just feel like curling up in a ball and crying. 

Gratefuls, because I need to have a remembrance that there is a light at the end of this tunnel:

~ Got a phone call today - have a phone interview for FS tomorrow afternoon! They might be on the card as early as tomorrow night. 

~ A Friend, who not only gave us $30 of groceries, but her husband came over after work tonight, found the leak, and tried to fix it as best he could. And only charged $30 for the service call when it took far longer than an hour. 

~ Our bountiful basket which was full of yummy produce we actually eat this week!

~ The lovely cooler & rainy weather we've had today, which is supposed to last much of the week!

~ Pintrest, which is helping us to get ready for the kitten DD wants to adopt from the shelter. By the next monthly sale on kittens at the animal shelter, I will have made at no cost a cat bed, turned an entertainment center into a cat tower, and made lots of cat toys. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#494 of 1405 Old 07-16-2013, 06:36 AM

So much suffering and struggling here in this thread this month.

Welcome to our new members.  Welcome.gif

Gratefuls:

-can't get away for a real camp adventure iwth me babysitting every morning at 6am so we camped out in my parents' backyard and roasted dinner and marshmallows on their firepit.  Had a great time sleeping in a borrowed tent but had indoor plumbing and refrigeration which was really nice.  Our last campsite was a dry site that we hiked a mile out to so this was a refreshing change.  

-heading to the beach today because it's going to be over 100 today.

-My freezer is absolutely STUFFED with fruits and veggies and homemade muffins and such.  Makes me feel rich and prepared for leaner times.

-got 4 quarts of pickles canned this past weekend, all "chemical-free" but not certified organic.

-visited with my aunt and terminally ill uncle and my young cousin this weekend which is always fun.  I'm so glad that my girls are getting to know him now before he's too incoherent to know THEM.  They were great helpers feeding him bites of food at the cookout and racing him down the street in his wheelchair.  lol.gif  We jumped off the dock at the beach down the street and I realized that somehow when I wasn't paying attention, my older girls learned to swim.  headscratch.gif  How does that happen?  

-I got a big bag of canned goods and pasta and such that I dropped off for the food pantry yesterday.  I used to do it monthly, even if it was only a few small things and I got out of it when times got tough and the kids were eating school lunch daily and we were struggling.  I'd like to get back into helping the less fortunate than myself.  It felt good.

Chin up ladies.  We've been through tough times before.  We'll continue to make it through.  I have faith in every single one of you.hug2.gif  Life could always be worse.  There are blessings everywhere if you just have a mind to look  

#495 of 1405 Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Job starts monday.  Hour commute each way, and I will be making less than when I sub.  Hopefully its very temporary and the district has subbing jobs posted a couple weeks after school starts cuz I need money, I dont need to loose money.  sheezez.

Grateful for bountiful basket I ordered for saturday pickup.  Partially stocked fridge and freezer for the rest of the week. Hit a yarn sale at joann's and used coupons so have yarn for a couple projects I want to do. (hopefully enough to hold me over til the next mega coupon sale).

Going to the science center today. DS is going exploring and I'm going to find a bench and crochet.  Older kids are great!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#496 of 1405 Old 07-16-2013, 12:29 PM

Small vent:  I am so frustrated with a mom friend down the street from us.  She is constantly asking me to come over and bring the girls.  Like, nearly every day.  It's fun to have play dates and get together and have adult conversation but every time I invite her out to do something, she has an excuse.  She has a car.  I'm asking her to do free stuff, mostly in town so it's under 10minutes driving distance.  I have asked her to do free things iwth us that require a 25 minute drive and she declined a few times(by way of excuses)  so I just assumed that she couldn't afford gas and that she was too embarrassed to say anything.  Even the free stuff that's literally a 5-10minute drive(the BEACH!) she has declined by way of excuses.  I'm getting really frustrated.  It's nice to get together and have the kids play but I would love to take them all out to do something.  I understand if she's overwhelmed by a toddler and a VERY ADHD school aged child but I think I've shown myself to be helpful there when we walk to the bus stop during the school year and I have a 13 year old who's also very capable of helping.  I just don't get it.  irked.gif

#497 of 1405 Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 PM

justmama-agoraphobic, maybe?

Hubby borrowed a movie from a co worker, my mom is giving me her old dvd player sometime this week, and we had yummy smoothies.  Oh, and hubby gets paid tomorrow so we can start grocery shopping Thursday.  My sister's birthday is on Sun, we are having a small party and get together on Saturday night.  I already have the gift, which cost me a whole 2.50 thanks to yardsaling.  I may get her a couple scratch off tickets if I can.  All in all, things aren't going too shabby.  I'm off to make a last batch of muffins, and cut up some cantaloupe, but I'm seeing the finish line.  Yay!

#498 of 1405 Old 07-16-2013, 06:35 PM

So in lieu of my divorce and health issues I asked on FB if one can get medicaid with preexisting conditions. One of my "friends" says "Oh yes, let's live even more off the government."

Ouch. I literally have chest pain now.

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#499 of 1405 Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

So in lieu of my divorce and health issues I asked on FB if one can get medicaid with preexisting conditions. One of my "friends" says "Oh yes, let's live even more off the government."

Oh Micah - that was terrible of her. I have some  "friends" like that on FB too unfortunately. And yes, you can get medicaid with preexisting conditions. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#500 of 1405 Old 07-16-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Oh Micah - that was terrible of her. I have some  "friends" like that on FB too unfortunately. And yes, you can get medicaid with preexisting conditions. 

Thank you..he's a misogynist who is never wrong. His wife is my BFF IRL though. Sigh. 

#501 of 1405 Old 07-17-2013, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

What a horrible horrible thing to say to someone who is staring at a scary diagnosis and needing treatment she can't afford!  That "friend" would be catching the boot from me pretty fast.  Then again, on FB, I have literally like 60 friends and I clean house regularly.  I only friend people that I know and talk to regularly.  These are the only people I feel comfortable sharing pictures of my kids with ya know?  I also only put my married name on there because I don't want people from high school to find me.  If they don't know my current married name that I've been using since 2004, it's a safe bet we aren't BFF's yo!  winky.gif

happyhats, maybe.   I know she has some anxiety issues but I wasn't aware they were that bad.  Having dealt with panic disorder with agoraphobia, I do understand how overwhelming life can seem outside your comfort zone.  

Good luck with your scratch tickets.  If you become a bazillionare, remember the little guys!lol.gif  

Can I just say, I really do love checking in here and seeing what everyone is up to.  I do it every morning with my coffee before the kids i watch come over.  And then we make breakfast and check on the garden.  It's a nice way to start my day.

#502 of 1405 Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM

with friends like that who needs an enemy?  I would defenitely unfriend him, and if your bff can't handle her hubby not being on your facebook I doubt her friendship as well.  I would rip my dh a new one and apologize profusely on his behalf if my hubby ever said anything like that. 

Hubby gets paid tonight!  Decent sales are at the store!  Seriously that's what I have to be happy about, lol. 

justmama likes this.
#503 of 1405 Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 PM

So finally scoured all the ads and got my grocery shopping done.  I think I need to write a small price book for some stuff.  Prices just keep jumping and changing I can't keep track of them in my head.  Tomorrow we are headed to Aldi (love that store for its produce and a few other staples), then sometime this weekend we have to make a trip to the city for Costco and another large chain.   In unfortunate news, I'm going to have to drop my egg lady.  She has upped her prices, which is understandable, but now she is about the same price as costco and its harder for me to meet up with her.  I might try to catch her sometimes but I think its back to store bought for us.  She went from 3 dz for 5 dollars to 3 dozen for 9 dollars (dropped the 3 for 5 deal and upped her price to three dollars a dz).  Oh well, I should check out our local health food store, they had local eggs and gave discounts for returning the cartons.  Just have to remember to make the trip over there. 

Justmama, how are you doing in this heat?  I saw on the news that there is a big heat wave in your area and I remembered you said you didn't have air.  Are  you keeping cool?  Good thoughts coming your way.  As for us, I've been keeping the kids inside until later in the evening most days, they just get too hot and grumpy if they go out in the worst of it. 

Smeared some olive oil on my hair to condition it before I hop into the shower.  Glued one of my tiles back down on my table.  Made smoothies with bananas that are almost overripe.  Just some money saving things going on here.  Will probably make the muffins I never got to tonight so we have something to grab and go on our way to the grocery store.  If it isn't too disgusting we may even try a quick trip to the park first. 

#504 of 1405 Old 07-17-2013, 03:18 PM

micahmae, that was nasty for your fb friend to say...I hate that people can be like that.

Xdh and I had a  convo about the 'what if' I don't get a teaching job, or don't get one right away. He pretty much said he would just keep giving me money until DD goes to school, so I can pay my bills. Not what I am wanting, but doing the lovely math and him knowing a 10$/hr a job for me and him making over 100K and me losing my spousal support when dd is 3 1/2, he would be paying most if not all the child care, which would be roughly be 1000$ a month (the lowest estimate) (he gives me about 1400 a month in spousal support right now) . He basically said he much rather give that money to me than pay to put the kids in daycare. Of course I would love to get a teaching job and that is still the GOAL,  I have to play my cards very wisely and plan about half a dozen scenerios, he was always supportive of me SAHMing so that is good news. 

My phone is on its last leg, I am no longer under contract (sprint) as of this month and thinking of going to straight talk, xdh said he might have a friend that can get me on a friends and family plan, so he is going to check into that and if not I will be moving to straight talk and will be saving 45$ a month.

I have started socking away my nursery job money for christmas. I already have about 50$ so and I have already started shopping for xmas =) I always start early except last year, so I am not caught off guard. 

I need to send of my textbooks I was quoted 45$ for the pair, hoping to get that much. Also need to finally get around to listing items to sell I am such a procrastinator about that! I will make it a goal to get it done by next thursday since we will be out of town part of next week.

Another positive, I got a good deal on a vacation for me and the kids off of groupon. With the returned money it will cover all the hotel, sales taxes, event tickets etc. and part of the gas money. Bummed my gma doesn't want to go, we were planning on going to that area to visit her sister. She backed out last night and now I have tickets for 4 since it is a package deal and no one to use them. I will just have to pay for most our food (the package comes with some food vouchers) and any extras/spending money and some of the gas! 3 days/ 2 nights away for me and the kids at a family resort, so excited to get away for  a few days and have a little vacation since we didn't get to go on one last year, (they did go to a resort with their dad at the beginning of the summer). 

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#505 of 1405 Old 07-17-2013, 05:07 PM

Can I just say what a bummer it is to hear people say, " I don't shop big box grocery stores, I only go to the farmers market and coops and buy all local everything"...I would love to have an unlimited grocery budget but I don't.  I also don't have a lot of access to farmer's markets, etc, without going far out of town and then paying 3x more for everything.  And hey, if I could pay 3x more for everything maybe I would spend a day out of town for everything, etc.  But that ain't happening right now.  Maybe people aren't always trying to be judgey but it feels that way, like "I'm crunchier than thou" or something, lol.  Hey, I went from barely being able to boil water to cooking ninety percent of our food from scratch, I think that's pretty great.  I'm adding more organic everyday and we probably do a whole foods diet ninety percent of the time.   Bah.  Rant over. 

gabbyraja, zebra15 and EuroMama like this.
#506 of 1405 Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post

Can I just say what a bummer it is to hear people say, " I don't shop big box grocery stores, I only go to the farmers market and coops and buy all local everything"...I would love to have an unlimited grocery budget but I don't.  I also don't have a lot of access to farmer's markets, etc, without going far out of town and then paying 3x more for everything.  And hey, if I could pay 3x more for everything maybe I would spend a day out of town for everything, etc.  But that ain't happening right now.  Maybe people aren't always trying to be judgey but it feels that way, like "I'm crunchier than thou" or something, lol.  Hey, I went from barely being able to boil water to cooking ninety percent of our food from scratch, I think that's pretty great.  I'm adding more organic everyday and we probably do a whole foods diet ninety percent of the time.   Bah.  Rant over. 

I just had a friend respond to my suggestion to take the kids berry picking at a non-organic farm with a long explanation of how choosing organic is better for everyone, the workers, the environment, the area, etc...then suggested we all drive 30 minutes away and pay more per pound to go to the organic place. 

Which, great, I totally agree organic is better in all ways, except when it was pretty much a huge splurge to take the kids berry picking at all, let alone paying the extra gas to go elsewhere.  Heck, right now I feel lucky to feed them healthy, real food, period.  In my ideal world, I'd be feeding the kids all local organic, etc. but sometimes reality kicks in and it made me feel pretty awful that I had to "defend" myself. 

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#507 of 1405 Old 07-17-2013, 09:18 PM

have you tried online jobs?

#508 of 1405 Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 AM

Thanks happyhats.  We are having an extreme heat wave.  I don't think it's been under 90 degrees for 3 weeks now???  Most days it's 95 degrees with humidity into 80% and the evenings don't cool down past 80.  So that's just way out of the realm of normal for us.  It's absolutely oppressive without a/c.  I haven't baked beyond a single batch of cookies or muffins in probably 2-3 weeks now.  We are subsisting entirely on smoothies, yogurt pops, and salads.  It's supposed to break on Sunday hopefully but I don't know what the following week looks like.  We are just doing a lot of beach time and loading up on the sunblock.

I really do hear you guys on those judgments from others on the choices we make.  It's been said before but I'm gonna say it again.  Unless you have experienced poverty, you have absolutely no idea what it's like.  Everyone has had to make hard choices from time to time with finances I'm sure but the daily grind of poverty and truly not being capable of making ends meet no matter how hard you try is crushing.  It's not about making a choice to accept non-organic strawberries or maybe just not go out to dinner this week.  It's being able to feed your family 3 square meals a day and still pay the electric bill.  There's reasons that big box stores have so many customers and it's not always possible to avoid them even if you want to.  I'll be looking at Wal-Mart very shortly for school supplies for all 3 girls and quite happy to get those deals.  Otherwise, my kids won't have school supplies if I was trying to avoid those big box stores.

Gratefuls:

-Another bag full of sugar snap peas picked from our favorite elementary school free!

-tomorrow is pay day.

-my neighbor came home with the form to register for the CNA class at our local community college.  It's a free class and you just pay $20 for the pre-test next month.  She and I are both planning to take it so she made the trip up there to get a form for me as well.

-unfortunately it's gonna be another scorcher today BUT it's great weather for drying laundry outside.  I plan on catching up on laundry today.

-it's Thursday so my girls will be with daddy for a few hours this evening and I get to go for a run which always relaxes me.

#509 of 1405 Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

I'm just in a funk- and thats an improvement.  my job starts monday and driving 45 miles each way for $10/hr is not on my list of things to do. I keep telling myself we NEED the money, its not about the job, its about the MONEY.  Its five weeks of training, I'm going for the training then I should be good to go as subbing (5 miles max and more per day and less hours).  But I have some utilities that are not waiting and other bills that have to be paid asap.  I know I'm going to clear like $300 a week after taxes and fuel. 2 tanks at $50 a tank plus taxes, I'm exempt from federal but SSI and all that other stuff still comes out.  $300 isn't alot of money for all that driving and time but I have to get these bills paid.

Mentally I'm a hot mess. I can't get control of my brain.  I need more therapy but I dont have money for more than 1x a week.  I actually owe $400 to one T and a whole lot more to another T.  (see why I need this job).

I can't decide if i want to cry or get angry.  The weather changed here, its monsoon season so its humid now and I can't cope.  I seem to get a bit off balance in the summer and then again in the early spring when it gets warm.

Tomorrow we have a field trip to the butterfly museum.  I'm excited and kiddo is excited.  $5 with the homeschool group vs $18.95 for me and 16.95 for kiddo (plus tax of 10%)  ummmm yeah, we are going with the group.  I like butterflies but not $40 worth of butterflies.

Took kid to dr yesterday - thank goodness for state insurance.  He has a sinus infection on top of exasburated (sp) asthma. Left with rx for THREE new meds.  Cost of meds would've been $200 with out insurance.  I am very VERY grateful for state insurance.

**Hoping August is better cuz July s*cked.

#510 of 1405 Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 PM

Hugs, zebra. 

Well, did the bulk of the grocery shopping today.  I still need to do the costco shopping this weekend.  Yay for food in the house again!   Seriously, it was very bare.  I have a love/hate relationship with grocery shopping.  I actually like comparing costs and reading labels, etc, for the most part, and coming up with creative meals.  I hate the fact that I have the knowledge about things like pesticides, gmos, etc, but I don't have the funds to eat exactly how I would like.  And my food budget isn't even as low as some peoples!  Honestly though it would probably be two to three times my budget to eat organic, have things like grassfed beef and pastured eggs and butter,etc. 

The kids are destroying the house right now with a neighbor boy.  He's a little annoying, lol, but they need to get their energy out and I need a break from weeklong fighting, lol. 

A crazy tip I read and thought I would pass on- when  you eat a banana, rub the peel on your face for cleansing properties.  I tried it yesterday and it already seems to be working.  My skin is smoother and my blackheads are starting to clear up.  Who knows?  But hey, it's free, right? 

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page