~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ - Page 25 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#721 of 1405 Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post

A store is having triple coupons this week!  I'm not super close to them but they are near the costco we go to, so woot for nearly free butter!!  I have three butter coupons for fifty cents each, and a pound of butter is maybe 2.50 so I'll be able to get three pounds of butter for three bucks!!  I don't really coupon but I save the few coupons I receive here and there, and challenge butter always has coupons inside their boxes.  I'm also picking up inexpensive chicken breast and a ham while I'm there. 

Oh wow triple coupons! How exciting! Only one store in my area doubles but i just don't mess with it anymore, I shop mostly at aldi and target and a couple other local groceries for their loss leaders. Spent 21.29 at aldi's. Did really well and got a few unexpected items. Dinner tonight is barbeque  crock pot chicken and baked potatoes. Chicken is about done so I need to get the potatoes in the oven. 

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#722 of 1405 Old 08-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Baby bird, did you know you can also do baked potatoes in a crock pot?  Of course, thats only useful if you have two crockpots but it's good for super hot days.  Just prepare like you would for the oven and pop them in the crockpot instead, either four hours on high or eight on low.  Sweet potatoes come out delicious this way. 

I have THREE crockpots, lol...well, one is a roaster the previous tenant left behind that I use for all kinds of meat dishes, one is a typical crockpot, and one is a baby crockpot I use for things like applesauce and reheating leftovers (no microwave).  I got the baby crockpot for a dollar and was originally going to try out making my own soap with it, but then I ended up using it for kitchen needs instead. 

I have never done triple coupons either, and I don't actively coupon but I occasionally get flyers and save the ones we may use.  We go through a lot of butter around here so when we need butter between costco trips I usually get challenge (I almost always have a coupon but also because I know they will give me a coupon every purchase).  It's the cheapest in my area most of the time. 

Hubby was a handyman and fixed our showerhead.  I need him to unclog the vacuum too, lol.  We'll probably have just a touch of banana bread for tomorrow, but I'm thinking of making some blueberry muffins for breakfast.  Leftovers for lunch and shepards pie for dinner, maybe I'll make the kids kale chips for a snack.  They love "veggie chis" and its so simple and healthy.

#723 of 1405 Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 PM

oh wow i didn't know that about making baked potatoes in a crockpot and I do have 2 crockpots! I one that is kind of small maybe 3 quarts and i have had it forever and use it most the time. I also bought a big one 6 quart back in the spring because i was planning to use it for DD's bday party for pasta. I will have to try crockpot baked potatoes soon!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#724 of 1405 Old 08-22-2013, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmomma05 View Post

Thank you Zebra!  I hope you get to feeling better. hugs.

Justamama- I seen before you mentioned you use to live in NC were you guys at FT Bragg? I am about 30 mins from there. Our kids didn't get teacher notes this year either we didnt find out until back to school night. Went and got food Monday when FS came in so that goodness for that. Been so sleepy lately and baby is napping so might go nap too. Hope everyone is doing okay.

Averysmomma, we were technically at Pope AFB before it changed to Pope Field with the BRAC closures and went to the Army.  A friend of mine just PCS'ed there and lives on my old street and she's an Army wife.  But my middle daughter was born at Womack on Fort Bragg.  We also lived out in Cameron for a little bit.  Is it 87 that runs from base out towards Sanford?  There's a little plaza with a Food Lion on the righthand side and we took that exit to get to our house.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post

Baby bird, did you know you can also do baked potatoes in a crock pot?  Of course, thats only useful if you have two crockpots but it's good for super hot days.  Just prepare like you would for the oven and pop them in the crockpot instead, either four hours on high or eight on low.  Sweet potatoes come out delicious this way. 

I have THREE crockpots, lol...well, one is a roaster the previous tenant left behind that I use for all kinds of meat dishes, one is a typical crockpot, and one is a baby crockpot I use for things like applesauce and reheating leftovers (no microwave).  I got the baby crockpot for a dollar and was originally going to try out making my own soap with it, but then I ended up using it for kitchen needs instead. 

I have never done triple coupons either, and I don't actively coupon but I occasionally get flyers and save the ones we may use.  We go through a lot of butter around here so when we need butter between costco trips I usually get challenge (I almost always have a coupon but also because I know they will give me a coupon every purchase).  It's the cheapest in my area most of the time. 

Hubby was a handyman and fixed our showerhead.  I need him to unclog the vacuum too, lol.  We'll probably have just a touch of banana bread for tomorrow, but I'm thinking of making some blueberry muffins for breakfast.  Leftovers for lunch and shepards pie for dinner, maybe I'll make the kids kale chips for a snack.  They love "veggie chis" and its so simple and healthy.

Baked potatoes in the crockpot???  GENIUS!  I'm making the kids meatballs and sauce in the crockpot today for lunch and to freeze for lunches for school today.  I did my interview for that job and the lady loved me even though I thought I jacked that up HARD.  I thought for SURE that she was gonna hate me but my neighbor came over last night and said that she loved me and we were good to go for starting either this weekend or next week, as soon as my background check comes in clear.  I'm relying on my mom for childcare for the first few days but I've got to figure out something real once I know what my hours will be.  

I have to get up and moving and clean up.  I have the baby all day and I need to put the meatballs in the crockpot and vacuum before she gets here.  Mom said she was miserable the last two days because she's just not sleeping during the day at all anymore.  She's 3 months old.  She should be sleeping a TON.  She literally sleeps 10-30minutes twice a day and that's it now.  She's a tough baby.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#725 of 1405 Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 AM

Oh my, have you learned any tips for soothing her?  Maybe wearing her or putting her in a swing?  Could there be a reason she's not sleeping well, like she's still hungry, etc.?  I sympathize on hard babies, and isn't this the mommy's first on top of that?  If so, I'm sure that makes it hard on her and then harder for her to give you tips, thus making it hard on you.  I'm glad that you got the job, hopefully that will be that start you've always wanted. 

Of to run errands and grocery shop.  My kids woke me up earlier than usual but at least they were playing together happily.  Sleep, who needs that?  Well, this mama, lol, but hopefully I'll get a cat nap on the couch this evening.

#726 of 1405 Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM

She's one of those babies that only sleeps when she's moving or nursing.  She won't take a binky though.  And mom can't get her to sleep either.  She'll pass out on you when you feed her but if you even breathe wrong, she's awake screaming.  She will fall asleep in a stroller or carseat.  I've gotten her down with the sling but she doesn't love it.  

Okay and the national guard is doing marksmanship drills and every time I get her down, they start firing again and wake her up. irked.gif  I even tried putting on the calmest Pandora station I have and no dice.  *sigh*  Hopefully the rain will let up soon and we can go for a walk.

#727 of 1405 Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Decided to go to yarn club tomorrow afternoon. I really need to surround myself with poeple. I can feel my brain sliding off reality and back into darkness. Yarn club is wonderful, the ladies are wonderful and get this - poeple are NICE! Today we are headed to the library this afternoon. Maybe to crochet or maybe for art. But i need to get out of this condo. Found out my parents are coming for sure next friday and that is totally adding to my stress and anxiety. I want to cry and cry and continue to cry. I'm 39 yrs old and have no say in anything with them. And my kid is beyond p!ssed.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#728 of 1405 Old 08-22-2013, 02:56 PM

Hope you can have a good time and relax a bit, Zebra.  It sounds like you have a rough relationship with your family and that makes everything so much harder.

Sounds rough for everyong, Justmama.  I remember those inconsolable baby days.  At least you know you get to hand her off and get paid when life gets too frazzlng, right?  Heh. 

Had some mushy blueberries from last weeks sale so I'm making blueberry banana baked oatmeal and later tonight I'll make a second bath of blueberry muffins, with a bit of tweaking.  Had a nice grocery run.  Aldi had bread on sale so I stocked up on seven loaves of whole wheat bread for 50 cents a piece!  Was able to walk out with that, honey, sugar, milk, eggs, sweet potatoes, two bunches of bananas, grapes, and cheese sticks for twenty six dollars.  Not a shabby haul.  I think we can actually get the things on our list this week, pluck ahead a tad bit, and pay down debts even further.   I also got a free mini first aid kit.  Not a big thing, but useful for the car and we can always use extra bandaids because my children think every pretend boo boo needs one, lol. 

Grateful my kids think cheese sticks are a treat and that they can double for our snack at Grants Farm.  That and some homemade muffins will get us through until we go to Costco for our buck fifty hot dogs, lol.  I'm hoping we can sneak in our sippy cups with ice water as well.

#729 of 1405 Old 08-22-2013, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Life pretty much sucks today and will suck for awhile unless I can find a great fulltime job with benifits..went back to work Monday...It has been nice being with Adults again...But they cut my hours...I am so frustrated...I CAN"T live on 25 hrs a week and pay my rent too... greensad.gif  I have been looking for something else but there isn't any fulltime positions around here at all....I just don't know how I can cut my budget anymore with what I have...I didn't renew my cellphone and am making due with one of those cheap assistance phones you can get when you are low income..That will save me $30 a month..But now that I am driving to work again the gas prices keep going up and I have drive 17 miles to work one way....

Then today I went to pick my little girl up and my mom informs me she gave my child Cheese Crackers and she did just fine..L's legs and arms and wrists are a mess..Itchy hivey red inflamed mess.It was just finally healing after the last time...Now the girls skin in red,itchy and inflamed again...She is allergic to Dairy and Gluten and I can't get it thru my families heads....Normally I wouldn't leave her with them but with there being 2 wks between me going back to work and her school starting I didn't have a choice even though I brought all her own food and snacks...

L's birthday is in a couple weeks..She wants a scooter...A Disney one to be exact...They are only $20 at Walmart but I can't even afford that right now...I haven't even got her shoes and backpack for school yet... I will figure something out....I am going to see if my sister wants to barter for a trade or something in that area for the $$..She wants it so bad she can't hardly stand it..She never gets toys much...Pretty much birthday and Christmas so I really want to get it for her... On a good note..food card got filled yesterday so her cake is covered and we aren't eating Eggs and Potatoes for dinner tonight for the 7th day in a row.....

Gratefuls for today..

We are both healthy(except for poor L's skin being Hivey and oozing)..

We have enough to eat and our own apartment...

Several weeks ago I bought a L.L Bean pink jacket at GoodWill for $1 for L...Last week was very cool in the am's and I pulled it out of the closet and she loves it..It looks brandnew :)

I hope everyone else is having a good week and enjoying the last days of summer Peace.gif

#730 of 1405 Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 PM

I'm very sorry about your little one, Mylie.  I can understand why that would really upset you.  I think I would take a pic of them and show them to your mom.  Have you looked around consignment shops.  All things Disney resell quite a bit.  If you find a scooter that isn't disney but could get her a disney helmet, etc, to go with it, do you think that would work out for her?  I hope that you can get her the present of her dreams.  I know it's heartbreaking when we can't get things our children really want, and its simply because we don't have the money for it.  Been there.

I'm getting a bit more enthused about homeschooling/unschooling projects.  Trying to gear up for fall when we will be indoors more and I'll be doing a lot more of the "entertaining"-may as well be enriching and educational, right?  I want to do some day of the dead projects this year.  I find the holiday very beautiful and intriguing, but I've never really celebrated.  Its also a part of hubby's culture, although only his grandma really celebrated.  I found some free crafts online and I found an interactive article on the smithsonian website I want to check out. I'd like to buy a childrens book as well but the smithsonian thing may just have to suffice.  I also hope to buy a membership to enchanted homeschooling mom.  She has a lot of great things on her site, and I think it's worth the one time fee, but ya know, need to have the extra funds to do it.  I'm hoping in the next couple weeks we can use some of the grocery shop money to refill our ink cartridges since we've been able to get some good deals lately.  Since I'll be refilling them at costco I'll just take it out of that money and it will hopefully work out.

Any more low income homeschooling moms gearing up?  Or moms in general trying to gear up for fall and winter when there will be lots more time indoors?

#731 of 1405 Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 AM

happyhats don't forget to get your free ticket to the museum through the smithsonian magazine webstite the free day is sept 28th and you and 1 guest can get into participating museums FREE! We have took part in it the past couple years and it is nice to do things for free when you are trying to watch your spending. 

mylie sorry about your dd, hope her rash heals quickly!

I feel like I am drowning in stuff! I keep telling myself to get rid of things, and have listed items on a fb swap page but no one is interested. I have some nice baby equipment but i have tried selling it on CL, at a yardsale about 1 year ago and now the swap page and still nodda. I am weighing the options of trying to have a yardsale or just donate it or find someone to take it off my hands. I would love to make money off it but how long am I suppose to let it clutter up my garage? I am thinking of cleaning out the garage and turning half of it into a playroom for dd. her toys are everywhere in the house and I am tired of it. It stays about the temp of the house unless I open up the garage door which i rarely do, and is a little dark but I want a defined play area! I can't park my car in there anyway so might as well better utilize the space and clear up my living room from most the toys. The landlord left quite a bit of stuff in there so half of the clutter i can't do much about, but i do like the old couch in there which would be good for sitting on and studying while dd plays in her future garage playroom =)

#732 of 1405 Old 08-23-2013, 02:14 PM

thanks for the heads up about the smithsonian ticket.  I'll look online for it.  I wonder if there is a museum near me participating.  The history and science museum here are already free, except for a few exhibitions and extras.

So I'm a bit bummed because again money is tighter than I thought.  Why does this always happen?  And ontop of that hubby's uncles is coming to visit unexpectedly.  This is actually quite nice, but I get a feeling that we will yet again be responsible for a big meal for hubby and his whole family.  That will take away a huge chunk of the "extra" food we were going to have, thus freeing up some grocery money and starting us ahead.  I'm probably going to have to have dh get a big stern with my sil about bringing more than bread and noodles, lol.

Edit-I think I'm going to prepare a casserole or a soup with a nice, homemade bread or some rolls. Filling, cheaper than a fancy meal, and I can do most of the prep work on Saturday after shopping. 

#733 of 1405 Old 08-24-2013, 05:29 AM

Mmmmmm, happyhats, save me a bowl.  I'm on my way.  By the way, mini first aid kit?  NECESSARY for the car.  I don't know if it's just that my kids are super active and a little accident-prone or if it's just that we DO a lot of active things like hiking and such as a family but I'm always pulling out my first aid kit.  It's actually a bag with the typical first aid supplies like bandaids and alcohol wipes and gauze pads and medical tape and such with add-ons like benedryl tabs(holy necessary with my allergic kids!!!), deodorant, tylenol, a lighter, floss, toothbrush/paste, purell, etc.  I cannot tell you how many times it's saved my ass.  And I always keep 3 dumdum lollipops in there because darn it, a bad booboo needs a lollipop.  Sheepish.gif

Mylie, could you get a doctor's note about the allergies to give to your mom or any other family member who watches her?  It seems completely unreasonable to be told that a child has an allergy and to expose them to that allergen.  My in-laws smoked around my asthmatic kids with VERY little precaution even though I had asked them not to time and again.  One Christmas they found out what happens.  They smoked in the car on the way to my house to pick up the girls and then brought me Christmas dresses for them which had been in the car in a bag while they were smoking.  I knew I should have said something and refused the dresses but I had nothing else to put on them and they were heading to church minutes from when they arrived.  So I dressed the kids and hoped for a Christmas miracle.  Nope.  They came back early because my youngest was wheezing.  She was on the nebulizer all night and well into the morning hours opening her presents.  All my Christmas pictures that year show a dinosaur mask on her face.  greensad.gif  That should NOT happen.  It can be life-threatening and to be honest, it's just damn scary for the kid.  You have my sympathies 100% with this one.  No mercy.  You are her advocate.  Get mean if you have to.

Did you find the money for the scooter?  What about finding any scooter you can afford and putting Princess stickers on it?  Craigslist is kinda scary to me but a lot of people do really well finding good deals there.  My neighbor just got a beautiful wooden swingset for free on craigslist.

Just got paid yesterday.  It was a LOT of money and yet.....not exciting.  Every single penny of it is going towards this class.  $300 just sitting there.  I already had $300 saved up so now I'm only $100 short and if necessary I can borrow that from my mom who has already offered money to me.  I should find out the decision about my appeal on Monday or Tuesday and then I have to sign up for the test and the class.  I'm missing the test on Tuesday because of this whole mess.  So that should give me enough time waiting for the test to be able to save up the extra $100 and not have to borrow money, which I LOATHE doing.  I'm so impatient.  I just want to get this whole thing on the road already.  

My neighbor dropped by the school yesterday to pick up her packet of info for her daughter and picked up my two packets and my girls have the teachers they wanted this year.  My littlest one has the same teacher my middle one loved so much in Kindergarten.  She's very gentle and kind and I know she'll be great for my shy one.  And my oldest got the Team she wanted this year for school which is also wonderful.  

Figured out a general idea of my hours for work and I'll be able to avoid daycare as long as I can get afterschool programs going for all of them on 2 days.  That's pennies compared to paying for 5 days of afterschool care when I only need 2 and only using 30minutes of that time as opposed to 3 hours.  What a waste.  But so everything is falling into place and I can breathe a little easier.  Fitting in school along with 3 part-time jobs will be tough but it's only for 10 weeks before I can get a single full-time job and maybe a VERY part time job and call it a day.  Be a normal person.  Probably still be broke but.. . . . . . . . 

#734 of 1405 Old 08-24-2013, 11:33 AM

Good news/bad news kind of week here.

The bad news first: my husband's job is screwing him around big time.  When ownership of the resort switched over, he was told there were no worries for 90 days, schedule and pay would stay the same, and might even get better after that if everyone was pulling their weight (he more than does so).  But less than 48 hours later, he was told nevermind, they were getting rid of the night shift (which is him and him alone) completely, and cutting the daytime staff.  Surprise, surprise.  So. of course, he is stressed out completely.  I have to be calm because that's what i do.  He could move to the city a few months early and get started on earning his union card, which would help him a little later, but there is no guarantee it will pay his expenses while he's there (don't even factor the wife and kids in) until spring.

But...

Good news time:

I seem to have a second part-time job.  It's only for two months (after which i have basically no chance of working anywhere for 4+ months, because that's our baseline economy here), but if i come back in the spring, I will get a 0.50 raise, on top of the dollar more per hour than my last job.  Which is kind of a huge deal around here.  I'll almost be making what my husband did.  PLUS i get to work with my mom.  It's a 40 minute drive, but the work won't be soul-crushing.

So...worst-case scenario at this point is only 4-5 months without an income.  Hurray?  Sad part is that i'm REALLY excited about this.  That's two more months i can buy gas and pay bills!

#735 of 1405 Old 08-24-2013, 07:05 PM

omg ladies I just wanted to share this news! My cousin entered a contest a while back and ended up winning a new motorcycle! She says she plans to sell it, she actually became a finalist to win it because was trying to win some concert tickets! The value is 9K and she plans to sell it because she is not the motorcycle driving type! She is only 19 and still lives with her mom and has no car so i imagine she will be getting a car with the profits. They are low income and it is just so amazing! I was so happy for her! Just goes to show good things sometimes do happen to good people! I am religiously entering that contest to pay my rent every day and I announce fb i will be winning it since my family is going through a lucky streak.

#736 of 1405 Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 AM

Happy for your cousin, and it sounds like she has a good plan.  Make sure she knows about whether she has to pay sales tax. 

So my butter coupons didn't work out since the damn store stopped carrying that brand of butter.  BUMMER.  However I was able to do my grocery shopping with a touch of money to spare.  We have corn to shuck and a ham to divide up when we come home tonight.  I think we will only be entertaining my uncle tonight, as my sil has never gotten back to me and uh, without any notice whatsoever I don't plan a meal around you, lol. 

Babybird, can you please send me some of your family's luck over this way?  We had a perfectly lovely day in the city, grocery shopping and then doing some window shopping of all the fun fall decor that's out, etc.  And then we find out someone stole our checkbook.  DAMN.  They haven't written any checks, so far, and we had a bank card so we were able to empty our acct of the few dollars we had left once we realized it.  And we ARE lucky that our bank has a call line open today to start the process of freezing our acct and doing whatever they need to do, plus our credit card shows our credit activity if they try to steal our identity.  Hopefully they got a look at how broke we were and just gave up on our checks, lol, but obviously one can't count on that.  I have a feeling they are going to try to hack our acct and wait for hubby's direct deposit since that's a big thing in our area right now, and we knew a lady that happened to, having all her bill money just taken away right as rent was due.  EEK.  Well, ha ha people.   Not going to happen, sticks tounge out!  At least we were paying attention this time!

Off to Grant's Farm today, have some water frozen to let the little ones drink, and some snacks for the car.  And actually have a bit of money for things like a treat and food for billy goats.  YAY!  And while a chunk of our bills will be late this month, if we budget very closely we should be all caught up with things by the end of the month and have a bit of extra money for the craft fair that falls on Hubby's birthday at the end of the month. 

#737 of 1405 Old 08-25-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I AM NOT PREGNANT! Phew so relieving!!!!! Things are going around here. I am working more then I was and I have put in a ton of apps at other jobs for nights/weekends so hopefully something pans out.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#738 of 1405 Old 08-25-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Discovered the joy of my crock pot... why didnt I ever get one of these before.. Got one at Kohls Saturday night $18... made chicken, frozen veggies and broth today... Kid is in heaven... My house is not a billion degrees... OMG... I am so in love...

My next attempt is going to be bread pudding later this week.  I have some frozen GF bread from a failed attempt last week.  I think we can have dessert and breakfast for several days.... OMG I am in love love love...

Also found some great sales at kohls...

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#739 of 1405 Old 08-25-2013, 05:50 PM

ahh, yes, zebra, the crockpot is awesome.  And Avery, I'm glad you're not pregnant  (I mean, because you're glad you're not pregnant...lol...that sentance sounds kinda rude otherwise). 

Today has been pretty nice.  We went to Grants Farm and my mom suprised us by springing for the whole thing.  I am going to make them a treat later this week for dad to bring home when he comes to watch my little ones.  Cake, banana bread, brownies?  Don't know yet. 

Hubby's  uncle is on his way over now and offered to buy pizza and is sharing a few beers with dh (I don't care for beer).  The kids are excited for his little visit.  And though it sounds snarky I am glad for  a house that isn't full of inlaws (I enjoy my uncle in law, but if you've been reading for any time you know other inlaws tend to cause drama to my life). 

Cut up ham for a few dinners, and am planning on making ham and eggs for breakfast tomorrow.  I also plan on making about ten pounds of applesauce over the next couple days to freeze and sub as oil in many of our baked goods (of course we'll also eat some). 

I'm happy we have a couple bucks left over this weekend, and if we are careful we can roll that couple bucks into a bit more money as time goes on so that end of this month we can have a great kick off to spring and end of year holidays.

#740 of 1405 Old 08-25-2013, 11:07 PM

happyhats i will send some positive mojo your way! Hope things get worked out, where was the check book stolen?

I had a pretty good weekend. Didn't cost much either. I did eat out with kids yesterday, which was our biggest expense. We went to the museum with the single parents group on saturday and the kids really liked it. The actual meetup was pretty lax and we all went at our own pace through the museum, but overall a good experience. Today we went to a clothing swap at the spray park with the single parents group. That was a lot fun.. the kids enjoyed it, it was free except gas, we swapped some clothes and i got some adult time in since the kids were playing in the spray park most of the time. All around good weekend here!

#741 of 1405 Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 AM

caffix.gif  Morning!  

Six kids today.  dizzy.gif  I'm just hoping to make it through to the end without drinking heavily.  It's hard to turn down jobs when you are broke ya know?  This class will be paid for this week.  And either today or tomorrow I get my tuition appeals answer.  School starts tomorrow!!!!!!  

Momsteader likes this.

#742 of 1405 Old 08-26-2013, 07:33 AM

We just moved back to the U.S. and hubby's enlistment in the military ended, and we are happy, as it was very much not the lifestyle for us.

Now we're hoping he'll find a job.  At least my income pays for food shopping and our utilities.  I'm really grateful for that.  Also, we don't have a mortgage (we own our house) or car payment so, again, gratitude. 

Since the movers brought our stuff last Tuesday, we decluttered and had a yard sale, so I'm grateful the $22 we made off that will more than pay for the lunch I'm supposed to have with someone today.

Things are tight until hubby gets a job (he interviewed for one on Friday and I hope we know more today), but I try to find things to be grateful for each day.  It's not always easy, but I like starting the week off on a positive note.  :)

Well, lots of work for me this week, so another reason to be grateful!

Wendy
Mumsy to Gavin (10-year-old artsy boy) and Rowan (baby disco queen!)

#743 of 1405 Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Gosh, Justmama, you are a busy woman!  Today I will be busy as well, but it's all domestic stuff like cooking and cleaning. Going to be starting on my applesauce, and making a double batch of banana bread (this batch I will just make with butter since I'm going to give one loaf to my father on Thursday).  Need to mop and clean up bathrooms and all that fun stuff.  Hubby had all the checks officially stopped on Sunday, but now the acct is going to be frozen and another reopened.  And with keeping an eye on our credit activity, it's a minor annoyance but things will be okay. 

Also had one of hubby's deductions taken off his check, aflac.  That's a bit more pocket money now to go towards debts and other needs. 

#744 of 1405 Old 08-26-2013, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi all, hope I can join in. I was an active member here a few years ago (goodness, time flies) but can't remember my old screen name for the life of me, and maybe it's time to move forward anyway. :)

We are a one-income family with four kids.  Our income is in the middle of an upswing after several very tight years, but things are still- snug. We just relocated to a small town with low housing costs, but our house is going to be a work in progress, and we are making do with minimal furniture for a few weeks as we slowly rebuild.  In the end though, it is a good situation. I have some great neighbors with  giant gardens- so for $20 I stocked up on tons of fresh veggies- including fresh garlic, leeks, cabbage, beets, zucchini, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, corn on the cob and several braids of onions hanging on my back porch to dry.  Definitely stretched our grocery budget!

#745 of 1405 Old 08-26-2013, 03:59 PM

Happyhats- I didn't find your sentence rude at all haha. I had to share my excitement even though I believe everything happens for a reason it would have been horrible right now.

Rainbowasylum- Welcome!!! I wish I could find someone around me with a huge garden! We go to the Farmer's Market sometimes but it is expensive. Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Justmama- I regularly have 7 kids ( that includes my 3, other 4 are niece and nephews). I don't envy you at all! LOL

Jinixefox- Welcome! I hope your husband gets a job soon!

So, I have been working so that means I will have at least 1 small check in Sept. Today I got paid $234 for the month of July. Not much but hey it's a job I LOVE and it is something. I have been applying for a night job but not much luck yet.

Insurance company called today about my floor getting messed up from a window leaking and nothing was covered so now we need to come up with the $$ to replace everything. That stresses me out but it is what it is!

Hubby has messed up disk in his back and somehow messed them up again Saturday cleaning a yard with my dad so he had to call out of work last night. He is a temp so I am praying that they forgive him and don't fire him or make a big deal out of it. He applied for 4 more jobs just in case but I really hope they are okay about him being out 1x.

Does anyone ever get paranoid about people being able to view this thread? Sometimes I am like oh well who cares but I feel like lately I wish it was more private so that I could discuss more.

I have no energy lately and am looking natural remedies to try to boost it does anyone have any thoughts? I don't want to much or anything nowadays.

Anyways, I better go clean and do some coupons and finish dinner.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#746 of 1405 Old 08-27-2013, 06:15 AM

My tuition appeal was granted!!!!!  That saved me $1155.00.  joy.gif

AND I put all three girls on their buses this morning.  I promised the little one that I would follow the bus and wave to her as she walked in.  She was brave and held her sister's hand on the bus and then saw me standing in the rain taking pictures and waved with a big smile on her face as she walked in the building.  happytears.gif  So it's just me and the baby today until 2:45.  We are off to run errands for the day.  I bid thee adieu ladies.  Have a wonderful day.

#747 of 1405 Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I screwed up - had the money for the electric bill which has to be paid on time or they take me off the payment plan & the full balance is due but I tried to do another sweater box to ship to make some $$$ for other bills too. Ended up not finding enough sweaters, and now I don't have enough of the bill money left to pay it either. Praying something sells - I have stuff listed on ebay right now, and hopefully today I'll be able to get the part for my desktop PC & fix it so I can get to listing clothes on the local fb sales groups. I'm debating listing the kids clothes in lots on ebay - it's all nicer stuff mostly Children's Place & Gymbo. IDK how selling kids clothing on ebay does though, but I know on our local FB pags I am lucky to get $1 an item. Going to try to send what I've got to the lady who buys sweaters - I need at least 20 sweaters to ship a box. Probably will try to hit a goodwill or two today to see if I can find a few more so I can make a box. If I am going to ship it to get to her & the check back to me in time, I'll have to ship tomorrow.

Hugs & hello to everyone else - I will try to reply when I am not in panic mode & can think.

Gratefuls:

~Our Medicaid plan will send out bus tokens, so getting to & from my appointment today is paid for except for transfers. They sent extra half fare tokens to pay for transfers, but I'll use those to pay for dd's fare instead.

~appointment with a new endo today - praying it goes okay

~The lovely cool mornings we've been having - so nice after such a hot summer.

~I think we found a playground in the next neighborhood over {just a short walk} that I can take dd to play on if it's open to the public.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#748 of 1405 Old 08-27-2013, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Does anyone here live a month ahead in terms of budgeting? My husband is paid twice a month, but has other pay in between each check.  The base salary is stable, but the bonuses and per diem pay can fluctuate.   Right now we are trying to live on the salary alone, setting the extra pay aside to have a little cushion and get ahead enough that we are paying bills out of last month's pay instead of the current month.  Once we get to that point, I might be able to breathe again. This week, his salary will be paid on Friday, but I had to dip into the extra pay when it hit the account yesterday because we were running really low on some basics (and moving totally blew the budget.)  On the upside though, I have baking supplies again, and I purchased a bunch of curtains/linens at a half-off sale at the thrift store, so I feel like the spending was 'worth' it.  

We aren't eligible for any assistance, though we have been previously, and that transition is actually almost harder than receiving assistance as we have less money available in the budget to create wiggle room. 

#749 of 1405 Old 08-27-2013, 03:41 PM

I hear you on the moving from assistance to not, Rainbow, as we were recently there.  It is hard. Hugs to all the mamas.  And look at those kids grown, Justmama!  You seem to be doing so well, keep it up!

I'm slogging through housework today.  My jaw and ear are bothering me.  I think it's sinuses caused by allergies even though the index wasn't as high as usual.  Of course the index is a city sixty miles away so things could be a bit higher here.  Just froze some appleauce and I need to start on pumpkin baked oatmeal for breakfasts.  I also want to spray paint a shelf I have laying around and do a thorough vacuum.  The applesauce isn't a huge savings once everything is said and done, but it is also a bit more vitamins in our muffins and breads (that usually get butter spread ontop of them anyway) and overtime it will probably add up to a big help.  Butter is expensive, yo!  But no way am I going to margarine or fake stuff. 

#750 of 1405 Old 08-27-2013, 07:02 PM

I have a job interview tomorrow at the local grocery store and I am NERVOUS. It helps my husband grew up with the girl interviewing me, and I use to work for the company 11 years ago. I will just be working nights there from 5p-9p and all day on weekends. I work a regular job 8am-430pm mon-friday but it is on call so sometimes off all week. I am not sure how I am going to wing it all but it will work out.

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page