~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  14  ... Last
Frugality & Finances > ~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 05:33 AM 02-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post

I feel badly coming here and venting because others here have it worse than myself. We have been on every kind of assistance jn the past and barely keeping ahead. Now the only aid we may be getting is state discounted insurance for our children, and we will be oaying a premium. I know that we are truly blessed in so many ways, but right now Im feeling down. I seriously need some dental care. I have a wisdom tooth that has sprung a massive cavity and my inner cheek is sore and slightly swelling. We hve dental insurance but its not great. We do have some extra money right now, but I was so happy to start an emergency gund and throw a little at iur car payments. Now we will probably not be able to pay extra in the car at all. And needing this care nmeans hubby will need to stay home to take me to the dentist, help me if I need pain meds, etc. He has vacation time but itnputs the nail in the coffin for him accepting a new job offer. He was probably going to decline it for other reasons but I feel at fault. I am someone that feels like I've failed when I get sick, I'm worried that the dentist will judge me for my ucky teeth, etc.

My dd is only 4 but since I have chosen to homeschool I am feeling bad she doesn't have any curriculum or a lot of learning aids. I haven't gotten a printer yet but we will be getting that soon at least, and a hand me down pc to link educational games on. I have a small tablet so its hard to guide small, busy hands on.

We are giving up cable. My choicem but I will miss it. I feel like a brat for missing it, and for getting a roky even though its liads cheaper.

Again, sirry this is such a whine. I just love all the support on this thread.

*Hug* Health issues happen to everyone. 

As for the homeschooling - you could put a request in to The Book Samaritan for materials for her. That's what we do a lot. Or get them through PaperbackSwap or at thrift shops. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
You were able to get her diagnosed with OCD?  She's 5?  That's really intriguing to me because I am also diagnosed OCD and my youngest daughter is 5 and displays a lot of the characteristics as well.  Makes me think someday she'll be diagnosed as well.  I displayed symptoms in early childhood as well but no one got me diagnosed until adulthood(though my parents told me they noticed the need for mental health services around puberty).  So it's surprising to me that your daughter has been diagnosed so early.  Kudos to you for being on the ball with that.  I know that the severity of my mental illness wouldn't have been like this had I been diagnosed and put on meds and in therapy so many years ago.  It spiraled out of control after my divorce.  I'm happy to say that I'm on the road to recovery now and taking it seriously though.

disappointed.gif So my washer bit the big one.  

I really need to update my signature - she is 6.5 now. We have a presumptive diagnosis, but they don't want to put anything on paper until she is older and we can better tell what is the ASD and what is actually OCD. She has been showing symptoms of the OCD since she was about 18 months old. Thankfully unless she gets stressed it's pretty mild and doesn't require medication. Sorry about your washer ~ we are babying ours as I'm pretty sure it's going downhill fast. Somehow in the move it got out of alignment really badly and had to be put back, and it's never been the same since. 

I'm up at the crack of dawn because I can't sleep - I just have the feeling something is going to go bad. I've been listing stuff online to try to raise funds to pay the electric bill, and at 7:45am I have to try calling a city agency to get help with the electric and water bills. Hopefully today they will answer, as I've been calling them since Tuesday with no luck. If not then I've got to start the long list of places to get a little paid on the bill - seems everywhere here only pays $25 or so of your bill, and that only when you have a disconnect notice. Not a lot of help when it's $613 and $145 respectively, and it costs you $5 on the bus just to get there and back. I thought we were going to be okay on the bills when we moved, but then they stuck us with a new $200 deposit on the electric and $100 on the water even though I've been a customer for nearly 10 years. And nobody will help with deposits here unless you are homeless moving into an apartment.

Gratefuls:

~DD. She has been so good through all this stress lately, even giving up the little things like going to McDonalds to help save money. 

~FS - seriously it's a huge load of stress off to not have to worry about buying food. 

~My bathtub. I had planned on taking the tub out here at my new house, but yesterday while giving dd a bath I realized it was big enough for ME to take one too. I had a nice long sit and soak last night until the water was cold :) I am rethinking taking out the tub. 

~Our local thrift shop. We get nearly everything non-food from there, and it is a huge blessing. I even have been finding dd's pullups there {she can wear the medical ones} which has been a huge help to the budget. 

happyhats's Avatar happyhats 05:55 PM 02-25-2013
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I feel better today, both emotionally and my tooth. I did some cooking and cleaning today, picked up the house, and lookedup the manual forba gread machine I picked up at goodwill. Im hoping to do some yoga with the kiddoes later!

As far as my dd I was beating myself up because I wanted to buy curriculum this year with tax returns but I couldn't really afford to. We do dry erase workbooks, watch educational shows, and do flash cards as there is interest. We occasionally do starfall on the tablet, but my 2yr old ds also wants to join in, and the two of them fighting over a small screen is chaos. The hand me down pc is coming from my sister because she's getting a laptop. At that point I plan on also getting aprinter and we will be set for a while.

I hope you had luck getting help today, frugalmama. Sending so many vibes to everyone here.

My gratefuls-
Nice handmedowns from my sister for me, and my sil for the children
My hubby is being awesome
My hubby is getting a raise, and his current job sat down with him and worked out his grievances because they want him to stay!
The kids health insurance is almost worked out, and we will either have to pay nothing or very little!
ILoveMyBabyBird's Avatar ILoveMyBabyBird 08:38 AM 02-26-2013
Ugh teeth mine are in need of work. I am paying 38 a month for insurance but since I am not in pain I am putting that off. I need 2 crowns for sure, my temp filling is turning colors but it is my back tooth. It will be the first thing I do once my cc is paid off.
happyhats's Avatar happyhats 12:38 PM 02-26-2013
Yeah, Im sure I need a fair bit of dental work. The wisdom tooth will go, I think my other molar has a deep cavity now, and I have a tooth that broke off a year ago but still has roots attached. I don't know what all I can afford quite yet. On the plus side, I have been paying much more attention to my nutritionand taking vitamins which has helped my overall health. Im not as achey or fatigued, my gums have improved (I'm also using all natural toothpaste again) m I don't have infections with my lost tooth anymore-I was homeless when I got my first absess, talk about a hopeless feeling. I'm currently taking mag, coq10, d3, and a muktivitamin. Of course I'm not taking the highest grades or anything, Im new to supplements and Im here. Our diet is constantly improving as well, though I don't think I will ever be perfect. I suppose that is something that frustrates me-my hubby is making better money than before but after taxes, bill, food, and having to huy a car we still have about the same tight budget. I still can't move to a nicer appt.or eat all organic or buy fclo for the family. Forget educational vacations or curriculum, etc either. We are doing better but we still struggle but since we are doing better on paper I tend to blame myself if that majes sense.
zebra15's Avatar zebra15 05:12 PM 02-26-2013

I'm sick today.  Been sick since Sunday.  Thankful for state insurance.  So far I've been to urgent care )got 3 Rx) and today to my PCP ( 3 more Rx)   DX,  migraine with sinus infection.  Yes a migraine since SUNDAY.  I feel like my head is going to explode.  Seeing colors, dizzy and everything.  It hurts to take a shower, the water hurts.  Air hurts.  OMG... I've had migranes before but never ever like this.  2 hrs after the matrix I feel so much better.  

Of course I've missed 2 days of work and since its also a sinus infection that means no work tomorrow.  but at least the state insurance pays for medical right now.  I can not imagine having OOP or co-pays on all this.

My eye has finally stopped throbbing.

hugs to everyone

happyhats's Avatar happyhats 07:03 PM 02-26-2013
Hugs, zebra. Im so glad you are able to receive care. I need to fill out some crazy forms for dc state aid. Then hopefully they will be insured once more.

Hubby got a raise, but now that the student loans are due he will only really bring an extra 40 a month home. Thats only one of his two loans too, bummer. He also needed to pay supposed late payments so they wouldn't default, so that came out of savings.

On the plus side my teeth are no longer aching and Im looking at all natural solutions. The dentist is still probably in my future, but it feels good to be able to take control of something, right?

Im off to make bread with the kids and attempt some yoga.
mamarhu's Avatar mamarhu 09:07 PM 02-26-2013

Oh, Zebra, I hope you feel better real soon!

On the subject of teeth, I had thought I would finally get to the dentist (it's been 15 years! The last time I went, I had YoungSon, now 16, sleeping on my chest and nursing while my tooth was pulled. Single mother stories...) Anyway, I now have dental insurance, pays 70%, and I made an appointment for March 11th. Thought I would pay for my part of this with my tax refund. But alas. The student loan folks finally caught up with me. No refund for this girl, not this year, not forever if something doesn't change. Like winning the lottery :). Dd also needs glasses (no insurance), and I thought I would repair or maybe even replace my car. Nope.

I wouldn't mind paying off my student loans - I do feel responsible and don't deny my obligation. But even with the coveted college degree, I make way less than the poverty level. I just can't do it. It sure is discouraging, to be playing the game by all the rules, and still not making it. For many years, I lived way off the grid. I mean totally outside the mainstream. For a while, I didn't even have a social security number or legal, registered name! Long story. But, about 15  years ago, I decided to buy into the "system" - and I am really not making it. I had a mild sort of existential crisis the other day, and I am not 100% certain that I am not just about ready to give up. I feel an obligation to my Mom, 94 years old, and my 2 youngest Dumplings, 16 & 17, but I am not convinced that this is the best way to support them. I imagine I will hold on for a few more years, mainly because Mom is getting less and less portable. But I am seriously ready to bow out. Thanks, but no thanks. I decline to participate. No idea what I would do instead - I have lived on a sailboat in the Caribbean, in a couple different developing countries, on a farm in Southern France, on a commune in Northern California, in rural Georgia, on an island in the Puget Sound, followed the craft fair circuit, I don't remember what all else. I have worked in bookstores, had home businesses making Hawaiian print baby clothes and cloth diapers, done tattooing, raising and selling baby parrots, been a therapeutic level foster parent, made custom leather clothing for rock bands and Hells Angels, and worked as an advocate for children in the mental health system. I don't want to try to repeat any of those experiences. I have no idea what I will do next, but I  think I may be very close to starting over. Yet again.

It seems truly unfair that our economy isn't set up that a typical, full-time job doesn't bring in enough to support a family.

zebra15's Avatar zebra15 10:28 PM 02-26-2013

Rhu- I understand where you are coming from.  I so want to 'back' to school again. I feel a pull towards an MFA.  For me its close enough to a counseling degree in some aspects but its NOT a therapy degree.  Writing and expressing is its own form of therapy but OMG, more loans?  I can't even pay the ones I have from my ill-fated teaching degree.  However the MFA and my teaching certificate might allow me to teach at some point.  LOL (and I don't want to teach kids).  

I'm going to be 39 years old. I can't afford health insurance, I can't afford to buy groceries with out the gov't dime,  I think I'm sick all the time from the added stress.  And for pete's sake I need to heal my inner self so I can get out of therapy.

I'm sorry to be so cranky I have a migraine that is going on day 4??  I'm still seeing colors and spots.  Like a horrible acid trip right now.  I feel like I belong in the Er but I've been there so much this year I just dont' want to go back either.  I want someone to take care of me.

happyhats's Avatar happyhats 01:13 AM 02-27-2013
Aww, zebra, I wish I was there for you. I hope things look up soon.

Rhu, you are speaking my language! Take me with you!

I have such distrust for the medical establishment because its so costly and hard to get the help you need when you need it. Im worried about judgement but on the other hand its like, if you really want to help me your first concern shouldn't be how I will pay. Logically I know its not so cut and dry, but I'm pmsing and just feeling extra angry about everyones problems on here, lol.
justmama's Avatar justmama 11:34 AM 02-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

Oh, Zebra, I hope you feel better real soon!

On the subject of teeth, I had thought I would finally get to the dentist (it's been 15 years! The last time I went, I had YoungSon, now 16, sleeping on my chest and nursing while my tooth was pulled. Single mother stories...) Anyway, I now have dental insurance, pays 70%, and I made an appointment for March 11th. Thought I would pay for my part of this with my tax refund. But alas. The student loan folks finally caught up with me. No refund for this girl, not this year, not forever if something doesn't change. Like winning the lottery :). Dd also needs glasses (no insurance), and I thought I would repair or maybe even replace my car. Nope.

I wouldn't mind paying off my student loans - I do feel responsible and don't deny my obligation. But even with the coveted college degree, I make way less than the poverty level. I just can't do it. It sure is discouraging, to be playing the game by all the rules, and still not making it. For many years, I lived way off the grid. I mean totally outside the mainstream. For a while, I didn't even have a social security number or legal, registered name! Long story. But, about 15  years ago, I decided to buy into the "system" - and I am really not making it. I had a mild sort of existential crisis the other day, and I am not 100% certain that I am not just about ready to give up. I feel an obligation to my Mom, 94 years old, and my 2 youngest Dumplings, 16 & 17, but I am not convinced that this is the best way to support them. I imagine I will hold on for a few more years, mainly because Mom is getting less and less portable. But I am seriously ready to bow out. Thanks, but no thanks. I decline to participate. No idea what I would do instead - I have lived on a sailboat in the Caribbean, in a couple different developing countries, on a farm in Southern France, on a commune in Northern California, in rural Georgia, on an island in the Puget Sound, followed the craft fair circuit, I don't remember what all else. I have worked in bookstores, had home businesses making Hawaiian print baby clothes and cloth diapers, done tattooing, raising and selling baby parrots, been a therapeutic level foster parent, made custom leather clothing for rock bands and Hells Angels, and worked as an advocate for children in the mental health system. I don't want to try to repeat any of those experiences. I have no idea what I will do next, but I  think I may be very close to starting over. Yet again.

It seems truly unfair that our economy isn't set up that a typical, full-time job doesn't bring in enough to support a family.

You are officially now on my list of mom-crushes.  love.gif  I have this dream of taking my kids and just travelling the world picking up odd jobs here and there and living off the barest minimum possible and not contributing to the rat race.  I have become so disillusioned by society over the last 10years.  I don't even want to be a part of it anymore.  I know I know, I get by on food stamps and heating assistance and without "society" I'd be screwed.  But honestly, with the ability to travel and set up a shack on the beach somewhere, my money would go a LOT farther than living a "normal" Americanized life.  eyesroll.gif

I'm feeling a bit down lately.  Recently I was driving in the more rural areas of my state with someone and looking at all these teeny little simple homes heating with woodstoves with kids and dogs and chickens roaming around and thinking to myself how much I hated my life living in the ghetto sharing a yard and house with another family and feeling poor.  I hate my house so much. It makes me so down that I can't give my kids room to play in the woods and have a dog and a simple life.  I feel so "dependent."  

happyhats's Avatar happyhats 03:59 PM 02-27-2013
Hugs, justmama. You are one of my fave ladies on the interwebs, dont be so hard on yourself. Is there something in the air lately? Or maybe its this long winter wearing on people. I know Im feeling pretty down on myself as well.

In good news my soap bars arrived. Something I let myself splurge on when we got our refund. But really its not even a splurge when you do cost analysis, its 6 dollars a bar but both soap and shampoo and the whole family uses it. I want to get a second crockpot and try my hand at crockpot soap eventually. I also found a tute for beeswax candles but need a beeswax supplier.
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 05:09 PM 02-27-2013

Zebra - so sorry to hear about your Migraines! Hope it ends soon. 

I totally hear y'all on the wanting to go back to school idea - I didn't get to finish my degree and I wish I could go back. I think I'd end up going for education now though instead of just History, so that I could teach homeschool classes. Seems like here everyone wants you to be a teacher to teach, even in the homeschool coops. 

We finally managed to get an appointment for utility bill assistance, just when I was about to give up on the city programs for help. Not sure how much they'll do yet, but we'll find out on Tuesday. I've been working like crazy trying to make $$$ as I know we'll have to do a copayment, but I have NO idea how much. Hopefully not too much. So far I've been trying to sell things on craigslist and facebook, but haven't had a lot of luck lately. I've got a few bigger items I need to get sold, but haven't had any luck yet. If I could get a few of them sold we'd be all caught up on the bills and even have a little left I think. 

I need to come up with some better regular ideas for income raising, as it's looking more and more like my mom won't be coming home from the nursing home. She is now showing signs of mental issues and schizophrenic behavior, and they called today to ask for permission to put her on 3 drugs for depression and mania. 2 of which I know we can't afford at all if she came home, and her insurance won't cover them at all. 

justmama's Avatar justmama 01:58 PM 02-28-2013
Quote:

Hugs, justmama. You are one of my fave ladies on the interwebs, dont be so hard on yourself. Is there something in the air lately? Or maybe its this long winter wearing on people. I know Im feeling pretty down on myself as well.

In good news my soap bars arrived. Something I let myself splurge on when we got our refund. But really its not even a splurge when you do cost analysis, its 6 dollars a bar but both soap and shampoo and the whole family uses it. I want to get a second crockpot and try my hand at crockpot soap eventually. I also found a tute for beeswax candles but need a beeswax supplier.

love.gif  thank you!  I needed some love today.  Everything has gone wrong since I woke up.  My kids fought me on waking, then they complained about getting dressed.  Then I made french toast because I've been wanting it for TWO WEEKS and I get everybody's done knowing that there was just a mere tablespoon of syrup left and thinking of how good it is when my oldest asks for more.  Great.  I make her piece #4 and 5!  I turn around to make my own finally and she takes the last bit of syrup.  greensad.gif  I was so sad.  So I figure toast will have to do.  I butter it, put it in the pan to heat and she's needing my attention for something else and I burn my toast.  WTF?????  Needless to say there was no breakfast for me today.  It's been a hell of a week.  

happyhats's Avatar happyhats 08:16 PM 02-28-2013
Hugs, mamas. I hope you get the aid you need, frugalmama, and find peace with whatever happens with your mom. Justmama, I hope you get to treat yourself somehow.

As for me, we were a bit behind this month and therefore our tax funds were used to pull us through. And we will be in a deficit this week too for groceries. Meh, so much for throwing money at the car. At least we haven't touched our emergency fund, and this month is over so we can start again. Oh, and I've been feeling pretty anxious and hopeless lately, but at least I know that's mostly hormonal.

I have a shopping list up off health stuff we need but I just hate to go through. My husband's raise is officially in affect and he has over time tomorrow, thankfully.

Im also buying a 99 cent e book about teaching your little one to read.
justmama's Avatar justmama 10:10 AM 03-01-2013

Gratefuls:

-it's the 1st and food stamps hit the card today.

-my lunch: popcorn with nutritional yeast and coconut oil and orange juice.

-tomorrow we are headed to the zoo with my aunt and my 6 year old cousin and my terminally-ill uncle for a visit since it's wheelchair accessible and my home isn't.  I'm SO grateful my kids get to meet him and have a relationship with him because he's an amazing person.  it won't be too much longer now but every visit is so precious and my kids really look forward to them.

-today is SUNNY!!!!  Weeks of grey overcast skies and finally a sunny day and it has lifted my mood so much just to see the sun coming through my window this morning.love.gif  I even started planning my garden for the spring.

zebra15's Avatar zebra15 11:20 AM 03-01-2013

Oh mama's- I've been sick for a week.  I've been to the urgent care on Sunday and my Dr on Tuesday.  I'm not getting better.  Saturday it started with a migraine, Sunday i was treated for the migraine with 2 pain shots and 3 rx.  I found little relief.  I *thought* i had a sinus infection coming on as well.  Well by tuesday I still was having auras' with the headaches and getting any relief for more than a couple hours was useless.  My dr said 'still migraine and sinus infection'  More powerful migraine rx plus abx and nausea meds.  I should've been better w.in 24 hrs.  Now its friday and while my headache is better - no more flashing lights, I still have a massive sinus infection and last night I started puking.  This am my stomach is all messed up.   

I have not been to work in a week. 

I'm already starting the month short $$ and this is spring break month so thats another week w.o pay.

I usually get bronchitis, but this is 10x worse than bronchitis.

My mom was sending me a check to cover March's rent since we moved and I had a ton of expenses with that  but somehow the check isn't here yet and I already sent my check to the landlord.  I'm freaking out my rent is going to bounce.

I''m up for renewal for DES and I don't have the patience to go sit in that office for 6 hours and be made to feel like less than a human in the next 2 weeks.

I can't seem to get a grip on being Gluten/Dairy free these days.

I am grateful that DS has found a math buddy at the library.  The sweetest older gentleman who is a retired university professor from Univ. Connecticut.  They get along great and the guy can totally help J with his high school/college math. (no charge)

Sorry to be in such a funk today.  I really don't feel well.

happyhats's Avatar happyhats 01:22 AM 03-02-2013
Zebra, hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself.

Went to aldi tonight. Got a few good deals, like fage yogurt clearanced to 45 cents and their brand of kcups for only five bucks. Unfortunately they stopped selling our coconut milk and hubby could only find us 4 decent avacadoes. Hought pretty healthy pizzas for less than six bucks-whole wheat crust, no preservatives, loaded with veggies. Made chicken soup up for tomorrow or sunday. Im really working on perfecting my scratch cooking/meal planning so we can get the budget under control. Webhave temporarily upped to 500 a month, from 400, to get rid of the rest of additives and start making smoothies. Im frying to adopt a few tf principles because I think it could help our health. Sometimes I really wonder if you can be healthy without being financially well off. Ack...
happyhats's Avatar happyhats 01:26 AM 03-02-2013
Oh, got paperwork ready for childrens medicaid, had to look up insurance quotes. I will feel so much better when they are insured again. I would like to introduce dd to the dentist, maybe a vision test. She is 4 and we plan to homeschool so school wont do these exams-When did you take your children to these exams? We aren't having any issues btw.
mamabear0314's Avatar mamabear0314 07:38 AM 03-02-2013
Quote:

Oh, got paperwork ready for childrens medicaid, had to look up insurance quotes. I will feel so much better when they are insured again. I would like to introduce dd to the dentisut, maybe a vision test. She is 4 and we plan to homeschool so school wont do these exams-When did you take your children to these exams? We aren't having any issues btw.

I started taking my kids to the dentist around 1 or 2. I've only taken my oldest to the eye doctor because he showed signs of needing glasses. Took him around 3.

happyhats's Avatar happyhats 12:33 PM 03-02-2013
1 or 2, huh? Now I feel kinda crappy. We did regular well baby checks until about a yeat ago ahd nobody mentioned dental exams. I don't think I eent until k, and my sis only took her youngest at pre k becayse the smile bus was available. Im totally out if the loop. Once insurance goes through I'll start in dental exams, dd first, then call the local eye doctor and see what they suggest.
mamabear0314's Avatar mamabear0314 01:14 PM 03-02-2013
Quote:

1 or 2, huh? Now I feel kinda crappy. We did regular well baby checks until about a yeat ago ahd nobody mentioned dental exams. I don't think I eent until k, and my sis only took her youngest at pre k becayse the smile bus was available. Im totally out if the loop. Once insurance goes through I'll start in dental exams, dd first, then call the local eye doctor and see what they suggest.

I have friends that wait longer, I think it depends on the state of their teeth as well. My oldest had something weird going on with 2 of his teeth which is why we had him checked out early. I started taking my youngest with big brother when he turned about 1 just because we were already going so it seemed like a good idea. If you skip the flouride (I do) it should save on any copays as well. I saved like $30 last time just on that!

justmama's Avatar justmama 11:29 AM 03-03-2013

None of my kids went to the dentist or eye doctor until 4 or 5.  Don't feel bad happyhats.  We have full medical, dental, and vision coverage through the state but I just didn't take them because they didn't need it.  We didn't do well baby exams either.  thumb.gif  I'm the kind of parent that medical professionals usually hate.  

Well, I'm stuck home waiting for one of my kids to come home from a sleepover and I have another kid I'm watching for a few hours and I checked my bank balance and if my landlord cashed my check yesterday or he cashes it today, it's gonna bounce.  duh.gif  I have $100 in my underwear drawer for absolutely emergencies that I can go throw in the bank but a $35 fee is gonna piss me off. It's only gonna bounce by $30 too. WTF?  Obviously I was way off in my math, which hasn't happened in the last 6 years of being poor like this.  God I suck lately.  

Gratefuls:

-we saw the sun again for about 2 hours which was AWESOME!

-we got 2 garbage bags full of hand-me-downs from my 6 year old cousin yesterday.  It was so much that I actually have to take some and bring the rest to our preschool and goodwill to spread the wealth because we can't possibly accept it all.

-I was given a blu-ray player a few days ago by someone who bought a nicer, newer one so that's exciting!  I hear it won't make a difference in the picture quality of movies because my tv is so very old and crappy but that's okay.  It's cool to have one because we can borrow blu-ray movies from the library now too.

SO...........my rent check is gonna bounce but I own a blu-ray player and my 5 year old has more clothing than she can possibly wear.  Sweet.  I feel like a statistic.eyesroll.gif

happyhats's Avatar happyhats 04:51 PM 03-03-2013
Had a pretty good day yesterday. Did some grocery shopping in the city, then had a long overdue visit with a friend. They gave us two big grocery bags of groceries, via trader joes they were blessed with and now have too much. With those extras we may be able to postpone grocery shopping a week further. They also scored rewards to a couple free hotel rooms, and asked if we wanted to use them next week. Im not sure. On one hand there sre plenty free things to do in the city but Im afraid there would still be food to buy, which is expensive and unhealthy. I need to see if the rooms have a fridge. But its nice to be invited!

Today Im down with a cold. Good thing for that chicken soup. Cleaning up the house, and making use of a free bottle of childrens mucinex for my phlegmy kids,lol. Another blessing via my sister's samples. Maybe we will rent a redbox movie.
justmama's Avatar justmama 06:26 PM 03-03-2013

Hey happyhats, I meant to respond but I think I got sidetracked with my kids.  You need beeswax?  Did you try http://mountainroseherbs.com/index2.html  I usually get this: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/wax/wax.php#wa_bee_p for my needs for things like chapstick and such but they have 5lb packages too.  I get shea butter and other oils from them for cosmetic purposes too and I've never had a bad customer experience.  But you may find beeswax cheaper locally at a farmer's market this summer so you don't have to pay shipping.  I'm hoping to source my beeswax from our honey guy at the farmer's market.  Mr. Bill is so friendly with my kids and he looks for us every week for our honeystick treat and to teach us little tidbits about the mushrooms in the field.  I'm hoping he will share some beeswax with us for a good price this year.  Hopefully a LOT of it.  lol.  Shipping gets expensive.

zebra15's Avatar zebra15 07:16 PM 03-03-2013

I think I need to find some help.  I've been sick for over a week.  I'm not feeling well on the mental side of things again.  I don't know what i'm going to do.  I have to work. Not working just isn't an option.  I'm not sure if being sick is making this worse or if the stress is making me sick.

sometimes i just hate everything

AngelBee's Avatar AngelBee 09:21 PM 03-03-2013
Really struggling to keep our heads above water.

We are expecting twins in July. I need to get state insurance. We are at the poverty level. But my taxes haven't been done for the last couple of years. greensad.gif

Now my dd3 is sick and needs to go in.

We are out of groceries. We qualify for FS, but are not on them yet.

So much hoop jumping. SO much of my pride to dissect.

Literally just keep piling bills. And now the cupboards are bare.

I need to eat a lot each day. I am not making the calorie count for twins. greensad.gif

Just needed to be somewhere people understood.

My ds13 had a friend over. We offered oatmeal or popcorn as a midnight snack. greensad.gif Popcorn only after we dug long enough to realize we had a little.
AngelBee's Avatar AngelBee 09:21 PM 03-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I think I need to find some help.  I've been sick for over a week.  I'm not feeling well on the mental side of things again.  I don't know what i'm going to do.  I have to work. Not working just isn't an option.  I'm not sure if being sick is making this worse or if the stress is making me sick.

sometimes i just hate everything

grouphug.gif:
LoveOurBabies's Avatar LoveOurBabies 10:33 PM 03-03-2013

KayleeZoo's Avatar KayleeZoo 11:47 AM 03-04-2013

nm

justmama's Avatar justmama 01:13 PM 03-04-2013

AngelBee, I'm so sorry things are such a struggle right now.  It sucks to have to swallow your pride and do what needs to be done to get food and insurance.  I hope the application process for both is uneventful.

Tags: Finances , Frugality
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  14  ... Last

Up