~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ - Page 41 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View Post

For anyone who may need it, the ScaryMommy website (which I just learned about today because of a great blog post called "Those People") will be offering Thanksgiving dinner help to those who need it. The application is temporarily closed due to backlog, but will reopen, worth keeping an eye on. No post requirements or anything, just apply.

Thank you! I tried to apply but it says application closed until they can match everyone up that is waiting. I have it book marked and hopefully can apply.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:

For anyone who may need it, the ScaryMommy website (which I just learned about today because of a great blog post called "Those People") will be offering Thanksgiving dinner help to those who need it. The application is temporarily closed due to backlog, but will reopen, worth keeping an eye on. No post requirements or anything, just apply.

Double post.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
Old 10-28-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Today stinks.... made a bank deposit and the funds are on 'hold' until next tuesday... spoke to the call center and felt like they were talking down to me..  come on now people.. im making deposits because I NEED TO PAY BILLS... not so you can hold my money...  yes they are 'large' checks... my mother send money from her frigging trust accounts... no my mohter isnt going to electronically transfer funds... my mother is 70 years old.. she likes to write checks...  they are  'holding' like 75% of my money...  i need to cry...

I paid the electric bill and put gas in my car... everything else has to wait another week. 

Anger, sadness, i dont even know anymore... ugha

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry Zebra, that's pretty rotten of them to hold the money so long :(

I loved that "those people" blog post!  I posted it on facebook today.  I hate the assumption that all low income people don't know how to eat healthy or use gourmet foods.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

Old 10-28-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmomma05 View Post

Thank you! I tried to apply but it says application closed until they can match everyone up that is waiting. I have it book marked and hopefully can apply.

Same here. I bookmarked it and hope I remember to regularly check it. It seems like an awesome project. Glad I could (hopefully) be of some assistance to you. :)

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthyMamaofDaisy View Post

I'm sorry Zebra, that's pretty rotten of them to hold the money so long :(

I loved that "those people" blog post!  I posted it on facebook today.  I hate the assumption that all low income people don't know how to eat healthy or use gourmet foods.

I loved it too. Something that's been irking me lately, mostly because I read comments on blogs and news sites (even though I know they'll infuriate me) is the idea that we are not "deserving poor" (as in we MUST be abusing the system) because we might dress nicely, or have a nice cell phone, or buy the occasional snack food on Food Stamps, or whatever other random judgment. I've even seen one person recently say people on welfare aren't deserving if they have a tv or a car.

So many wrong things with these statements. Like some people have nice things and then encounter a circumstance that places them in poverty and they keep their things, or they're gifts, or bought secondhand/found for free, etc. Sometimes the only "luxury" you can give your child is the occasional tub of ice cream bought on a food stamp card. And while yes, a car can be more expensive than public transit or walking; some people can't physically walk that far or don't have access to public transport, or drive a clunker, etc. And one of the biggest annoyances is that because people are overweight, they clearly don't deserve food stamps. (Not that every overweight person is poor, or ever poor person is overweight) But, obesity is highest in poverty groups because it is much cheaper to buy processed foods that are very fattening or unhealthy; NOT necessarily because people eat too much.

I'm just so tired of being judged because I'm poor, and not seeming "poor enough" for people. We, (in more instances than just class status) should be focusing on a person's character and not making assumptions about people whose situations we don't know. I usually respond with a message similar to what I just typed; and on the rare occasion I actually get a response saying "You know what, I never thought of it that way. Thanks for letting me see it a different way." And that makes my day.

Anyone else feel this way sometimes?

Sorry, rant over.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:23 AM

Just thought I'd let you know, the Thanksgiving application is accepting submissions again.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 AM

I wish I had seen this thread earlier :) I would say we are pretty low income...1300/month with a family of 4 and 2 dogs. God really provides for us though. We get a lot of hand me downs, and if we really need something it all just has a way of working itself into our budget. I personally like living this way. I like being thankful for everything and staying dependent on God. I honestly don't think we could make it without breastfeeding and cloth diapering lol. I can't imagine having to pay for diapers for two!!!

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 10-29-2013, 11:48 AM

got my application in earlier. Thanks again Iknew. Things are going okay here we are going to do some trick or treat stuff in a bit.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 PM

AllyFolsum, I've never heard it put quite like that before. I think that's well said. :)

mama to sara faith -- 9.2007 and june claire -- 4.2010 (born at 27 weeks)
four angels watching over us -- 4.2003, 3.2004, 2.2009, 9.2009
Old 10-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Well, its looking like mother hubbards cupboard since grocery shop is halloween. And dd and I have a cold. I think I will take advantage of the dreary weather and watch halloween movies all night. I have been doing some rearranging, purging and organizing too. Im feeling a bit of a money crunch. Hubby didnt wirk overtime for two weeks in a row, which meant four hundred less this month than usual. And Thanksgiving is coming, and Im not even going to count on my sil to chip in for dinner at their house. That way if she does I will be easantly suprised, lol. I got some tea bags today Im adding to hubbys christnas stuffing so theres that. Niw that we got a dollar tree in town Im going to squirrel away twenty bucks or so ti finish stockings for everyone.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Our grocery shop will be Halloween as well.  I did grab a bit yesterday, but I need to do a proper stock up on Thursday.  I think dinner tonight is going to be leftovers, or maybe breakfast for dinner- omelets and cheddar corn fritters maybe? Something easy that will use up a little of the leftover ham in a way the kids will enjoy  it.  I can even stick in some frozen spinach and a bell pepper on its way out that way.  I actually enjoy the 'use up the stuff before grocery day' days, they force me to be creative.   

Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Still here. Plugging away. Being thankful my bills are paid and plenty of food.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM

I'm going to join in.I did a big grocery shop 5 weeks ago and we're eating the last of that. I'll be shopping again Friday. Tonight I made baked ham & Swiss sandwiches (with a dijon onion sauce) and Cheetos. Had to get them out of the cabinet!

mama to sara faith -- 9.2007 and june claire -- 4.2010 (born at 27 weeks)
four angels watching over us -- 4.2003, 3.2004, 2.2009, 9.2009
Old 10-29-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just thought I'd let you know, the Thanksgiving application is accepting submissions again.

Closed tonight... ugh

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Good news here - My work sponsors a "Fitness Challenge" each year that I have blown off. I just glanced at it, saw it was mostly about exercise and dietary changes, and forgot about it. I guess they are trying to motivate employees to be healthy. But today, for some reason I actually read the flyer (boring staff meeting), and saw that I qualified for almost every category. You don't really need to be making changes, so I get credit for things like: cook healthy meals from scratch at least once a week, get dental exam, mammogram, colonoscopy, don't drink soda pop, I forget what all else. I was completely honest, and get credit for what I already do. Anyway, if I read the complicated instructions right, I will be getting a $200 gift card for Amazon! If it happens in time, I call this Xmas! Ho-ho-ho!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

thatgirliknew, thank you for the heads up.  I got my application in.  I'm not holding my breath but it would be lovely if it DID happen for us.  We've never done Thanksgiving before, just my kids and I.  They usually go with their dad on Thanksgivingn to his family's house since I can't afford a big dinner anyway.  It would be great to be able to reclaim that holiday with them this year and be "normal" like everyone else I know with Turkey Day plans.

Rhu, that program sounds AWESOME!!!  I hope you do get the Ama*on card.  :wink

Welcome AllyFolsom to the thread.  I like your way of looking at things.  Seems like you have a great head on your shoulders and that your faith is a huge boost for you.

happyhats, I hope you and Scarlet feel better.  Having a cold stinks.  I'm just starting to REALLY get over mine and it's been almost a week now.  SO congested.

Gratefuls:

-I'm really liking this woolens and hats and mittens weather here right now.  It wont' be nice when I see the heating bill but for now I'm enjoying seeing my kids in their mama-knits.

-free lunch program is REALLY helping us lately.  SO grateful for that.

-My back is a LOT better and it's only when I'm on my feet for hours at work that it starts becoming a problem.  Being in constant pain sucks so I'm calling lack of pain a wonderful thing.

-the scarymommy site and people and application process.  Even if we don't get sponsored for Thanksgiving, just being able to have the opportunity gives me a little thrill of hope.  What a wonderful gift these people are giving!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 10-30-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

thatgirliknew, thank you for the heads up.  I got my application in.  I'm not holding my breath but it would be lovely if it DID happen for us.  We've never done Thanksgiving before, just my kids and I.  They usually go with their dad on Thanksgivingn to his family's house since I can't afford a big dinner anyway.  It would be great to be able to reclaim that holiday with them this year and be "normal" like everyone else I know with Turkey Day plans.

Rhu, that program sounds AWESOME!!!  I hope you do get the Ama*on card.  :wink

Welcome AllyFolsom to the thread.  I like your way of looking at things.  Seems like you have a great head on your shoulders and that your faith is a huge boost for you.

happyhats, I hope you and Scarlet feel better.  Having a cold stinks.  I'm just starting to REALLY get over mine and it's been almost a week now.  SO congested.

Gratefuls:

-I've lost some weight that I've been angry at for about 6 months now.  Unfortunately it's med-induced anorexia(that's such a bad term.  It seems to make light of a very serious condition.  But that's what it's called.) but it's still that "last 10lbs" that never seems to come off.  Well, it's off folks and justmama is back in her skinny pants.

-I'm really liking this woolens and hats and mittens weather here right now.  It wont' be nice when I see the heating bill but for now I'm enjoying seeing my kids in their mama-knits.

-free lunch program is REALLY helping us lately.  SO grateful for that.

-a fun new person I'm talking to that makes my belly flipflop.  New things are always so fun, aren't they?

-My back is a LOT better and it's only when I'm on my feet for hours at work that it starts becoming a problem.  Being in constant pain sucks so I'm calling lack of pain a wonderful thing.

-the scarymommy site and people and application process.  Even if we don't get sponsored for Thanksgiving, just being able to have the opportunity gives me a little thrill of hope.  What a wonderful gift these people are giving!

I hope you guys do get sponsored! We were sponsored rather quickly which surprised me but I am SO grateful! We have never done a Thanksgiving dinner at home with our family and my kids are THRILLED! Last year we were in a much better spot financially so ate with my sister and sponsored a local family here. My kids demanded I make a few things they love for the holidays so it warms my heart to know we will be able too.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Congrats to all on your positives! And one negative on the scales!
Last year our hyvee did a promotion rightbefore thanksgiving:buy a ham and get afree turkey. Covered turkey day and xmas at once. If you have a hyvee you might watch for it.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Got my application into ScaryMommy Thanksgiving Helper.  Excited to see what happens!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
Anyway, if I read the complicated instructions right, I will be getting a $200 gift card for Amazon! If it happens in time, I call this Xmas! Ho-ho-ho!

Justmama - I am so chagrined I missed the solidarity * - I really mean to maintain that. It is my way of saying I keep up with your posts, and wish you all the best.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Old 10-31-2013, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

FWIW with in 6 hrs of the scarrymommy thanksgiving application I got an email saying we were approved and will be getting the 'sponsor' with in 2 weeks of thanksgiving.  So watch your mailboxes!   I was amazed that approval happens almost immediately!

Old 10-31-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

Justmama - I am so chagrined I missed the solidarity * - I really mean to maintain that. It is my way of saying I keep up with your posts, and wish you all the best.
aww Rhu, I l ove you. A little one here and there is a sweet reminder but don't change your typing habits for me. lol. You are adorable!

I got my email from the scarymommy team. We were approved! when I'm on a computer and can see better I'm going to have to see if there's an address to send a thank you card to. that's such a huge blessing that I'd like to send forward some love.
somehow we made it through the month. rent is getting paid tomorrow. everyone has a costume. and we have food. I'm blown away. lots to be grateful for this month.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 AM

I'm so excited for everyone who has managed to get their applications in! I hope we can all get sponsored. "ScaryMommy Nation has received your application for assistance through the Thanksgiving Project and we are pleased to inform you that your application has been approved. You can expect your gift approximately two weeks before Thanksgiving, so please keep an eye out for it." I received an e-mail saying that, actually before I even received the email saying, "ScaryMommy Nation has received your application for assistance through the Thanksgiving Project." So I guess that means I was chosen?

Old 10-31-2013, 09:36 AM

That's the email I got too.  Congratulations!:Hug  What are you gonna make???

Old 10-31-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

That's the email I got too.  Congratulations!:Hug  What are you gonna make???

Thank you. Now, that's a whole nother ballgame. lol. I have never in my life cooked a Thanksgiving dinner, and I rarely cook meat. What I actually think I'm going to do is let my cousin and her partner come over for Thanksgiving. They are young (18 & 19), not on GREAT terms with their families and just recently moved into their own place. They have very little and she was talking last night about having to use a good chunk of her food stamps on a turkey this month. I was just thinking about doing my first thanksgiving at my home, so I'll probably see if they want to come over for the day and we'll split the cooking. (She can take the bird! :) )

Old 10-31-2013, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A turkey is really just a big chicken.  You cook it the same way; it just takes longer.

I have cooked more Thanksgiving dinners than I care to count, so if you have questions, I'm happy to help.  :)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post

A turkey is really just a big chicken.  You cook it the same way; it just takes longer.

I have cooked more Thanksgiving dinners than I care to count, so if you have questions, I'm happy to help.  :)

I've never cooked a chicken either... :o

Old 10-31-2013, 05:19 PM

Thank you so much for sharing the info for the ScaryMommyNation Thanksgiving project. We were approved this morning. What a blessing. I had never heard about the project before and  so thankful you shared it here with us

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
Old 10-31-2013, 06:12 PM

thatgirliknew, I'm the same.  I've been a vegetarian all of my adult life.  I've NEVER had the money or inclination to cook a turkey.  I think I'll do the very smallest I can find for my omni girls though since they love it and I know it won't go to waste and we'll have the money with our scarymommy nation blessing.  I'm also thinking cranberry sauce, broccoli casserole, fresh homemade rolls, and apple pie along with some raw veggie platters(my kids won't eat cooked veggies so the broccoli casserole is for me).  I'm excited!!!

Tags
Finances , Frugality
User Tag List