~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ - Page 43 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1261 of 1405 Old 11-06-2013, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Justmama- Hugs to you. Three jobs would wear anybody out and yes it is so hard to find alternate care for little ones last minute. My neighbor is helping me out tomorrow and I'm so thankful. (When did parent teacher conferences begin taking the whole day, causing kids to have no school?

I'm super thankful for tons of things in my life right now....mostly little things but still very important :)

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#1262 of 1405 Old 11-07-2013, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Feeling like everyone wants a piece of me this time of yr. I am doing so much better than before and Im happy to be in a position to give back but feeling guilty about not wanting to give everything I have away. No sainthood for happyhats.
#1263 of 1405 Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We keep making changes in our budget to cut back and some other bs comes up. We have no tv except netflix no smartphones, cheapest cars possible low house payment and still can barely make it. So frustrated. We make just enough to get zero help and not enough to live without it. Sigh. I'm having a rough day as you can see.
#1264 of 1405 Old 11-08-2013, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post

We keep making changes in our budget to cut back and some other bs comes up. We have no tv except netflix no smartphones, cheapest cars possible low house payment and still can barely make it. So frustrated. We make just enough to get zero help and not enough to live without it. Sigh. I'm having a rough day as you can see.

I hope your day gets better!! :Hug

Things are good around here. We are finally catching back up and hopefully can start paying our IRS bill. Van needs tires, both cars need oil changes, floor still needs finishing. Money, money. Oh well I am warm and healthy. Been trying to find some long johns cheap or footed blanket sleepers for my older girls since I have been keeping the heat low the house is getting a bit chilly. Anyone have a idea where I can find some cheap? Walmart and target want $14 for them and ebay they were just as high.

Buying cars on craigslist- We have had this go both ways. My husband bought a truck for 2k that caught fire a week later and we got my van on there too. The guy that owned my van was the only owner, had all service records and it was AMAZING shape on the inside. It is a 2000 and has high highway miles but still drives great and we paid a little under 2k for it.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#1265 of 1405 Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 AM

Thanks averysmomma. I need to be thankful too. We have food shelter heat and each other!! Also my dh has been able to pick up extra hours. He gets 84 every two weeks but will get an extra 12 in the next couple.
#1266 of 1405 Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Check kohls for Pj's.  They run sales it seems every weekend and I think this is a 'kohls cash' weekend as well.  Bonus is you can order online and get the same price as instore and  stay home!

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1451652/carters-dotted-snowgirl-microfleece-footed-pajamas-toddler.jsp?crosssell=true

Fleece is $11 right now

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#1267 of 1405 Old 11-09-2013, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Check kohls for Pj's.  They run sales it seems every weekend and I think this is a 'kohls cash' weekend as well.  Bonus is you can order online and get the same price as instore and  stay home!

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1451652/carters-dotted-snowgirl-microfleece-footed-pajamas-toddler.jsp?crosssell=true

Fleece is $11 right now

Thank yoU! I will check that out. Just checked and good price for the ones for my son! The girls are in big kid sizes so the price was like $16 but I am sure I can find a coupon and see that they are doing the cash. Plus maybe can get some swagbucks through Shop and earn.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#1268 of 1405 Old 11-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Finally got some good news! Sold the central a/c we've been trying to sell for months and just in time to pay taxes on the house. Was able to pay the net bill & get net back! Plus I won a $500 gift certificate to petsupplies.com - going to stock up on cat food & cat litter for the kitten.

*Hugs* to everyone. Will try to read & do personals when I get a chance tonight.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#1269 of 1405 Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 PM

That's wonderful frugalmama
#1270 of 1405 Old 11-10-2013, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
frugalmama, that's awesome! huge win!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#1271 of 1405 Old 11-10-2013, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I just wanted to pop in and say "holiday helper"!! I hope those of you that apply get accepted. And if you haven't applied (and want to) apply soon.

I know many of you from posts around the forum and you are some of my favorite people here. You have so much love for your families and are so creative in pulling the most amazing things together to provide for them. Love to you all.
#1272 of 1405 Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post

I just wanted to pop in and say "holiday helper"!! I hope those of you that apply get accepted. And if you haven't applied (and want to) apply soon.

I know many of you from posts around the forum and you are some of my favorite people here. You have so much love for your families and are so creative in pulling the most amazing things together to provide for them. Love to you all.

I am not sure if I even qualify for HH since I am not sure if I have been active as they want since April. We lost internet back then so I am not so sure. I signed up anyways so we shall see soon.

#1273 of 1405 Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmomma05 View Post

I am not sure if I even qualify for HH since I am not sure if I have been active as they want since April. We lost internet back then so I am not so sure. I signed up anyways so we shall see soon.

Same here. I have the post count, but I've only been "active" since August because I went a very long time without internet access.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#1274 of 1405 Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I've been trying to find a blog or article about living with kids on very little (<20000). Apparently it's only possible if you are a single male college student w/out kids. :/ Anyway, any of you blog??

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#1275 of 1405 Old 11-11-2013, 11:23 AM

I will keep on the lookout for you, micah. Off the top of my head there is penniless parenting, though she is in another country. There was a blog called underathousandamonth, but its closed. As for me, tis the season to overspend fa la la la la. But we are okay. My neice is coming over after school to make handprint turkeys with us. Then I hope to make leaves on to write what we are thankful for and watch a short movie about the mayflower voyage.
#1276 of 1405 Old 11-11-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been trying to find a blog or article about living with kids on very little (<20000). Apparently it's only possible if you are a single male college student w/out kids. :/

I live on a little less than $2,000 a month.  It can be done.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#1277 of 1405 Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Yeah I don't anymore but we lived on $1428 per month for 5 years.  Unfortunately I don't blog so I guess that doesn't help you.  :wink

Gratefuls:

-a house with heat.  It's FREEEEEEEEE*ING outside now.  We are expecting our first snowfall tomorrow.

-a nice paycheck this week.  I worked more hours than I typically do last week.

-the money to buy my middle daughter the jacket she needed.  She's in love with it.

-Somehow I'm still pulling the grocery situation out of my butt and haven't had to do a big shopping yet this month.

-got a pretty skein of yarn I uncovered in my knitting basket that I've had for a whilei and forgotten about to make myself a new hat for this winter.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#1278 of 1405 Old 11-11-2013, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

I've been trying to find a blog or article about living with kids on very little (<20000). Apparently it's only possible if you are a single male college student w/out kids. :/ Anyway, any of you blog??

Hmmmm There are a few blogs on $5 meals, budget meal plans, Penny Pinching Mom. I'm not sure of other blogs. I definitely survived being a single Mom with two kids earning less than $16k working overtime. It's possible, but hard. I wish I knew then some of what I know now about price matching, energy assistance programs, etc.

I hate to join in here. Our income should be high enough for us to live ok-still below the federal poverty limit for services, but enough...until you take out required work fees (union, required retirement contributions that the state so far pretty much refuses to pay out, etc.) and taxes. And my ex just stopped paying child support again. Just in time for the holidays again this year. eyesroll.gif Right now I'm trying to sell anything not nailed down. I would get a part time job, but I'm in school, and making any more money will drop our state medicaid for me. So I'm kinda stuck. Is anyone else doing largely homemade holidays? I found some wool fabric in my attic, so I'm going to cut some warm shirts and underclothes for the kids with what I can patch together, and if I find the cash, they have $10 electric blankets at Walmart, so we can drop the heat.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#1279 of 1405 Old 11-11-2013, 02:53 PM

Thanks ladies! I'm feeling pretty grumpy right now. Had to get a credit card for a new laptop because my old one fried and I am doing online classes. Meanwhile my mil (who has been like a friend to me) is *giving* my stbx her new laptop "so he doesn't have to buy one" said with a tone of *the poor guy is going to be so broke*. I mean really? All he has to pay is rent and he's getting a roommate so we're talking less than $500/mo. He will have $2500-3000/mo and only have to take care of himself. Oh poor guy who has to pay child support for his 3 kids who he's never taken care of *ever*. I've been a free live in nanny, maid, cook and accountant for him for 7 years damn it and put my own education on hold. Poor him. *eyeroll*

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#1280 of 1405 Old 11-11-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:

I don't blog {tried but never had time} but we live on way less than $20k a year. Monthly we live on about $300 plus another $367 in SNAP and then medicaid for both of us. We are only able to do that though because the house is paid for - otherwise it would be closer to $1k a month {less if you can get subsidized housing}.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#1281 of 1405 Old 11-12-2013, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post

I've been trying to find a blog or article about living with kids on very little (<20000). Apparently it's only possible if you are a single male college student w/out kids. :/

I live on a little less than $2,000 a month.  It can be done.

Us too we live on about 1600 a month. No blog though.

#1282 of 1405 Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I have a blog, but it's not about living on little....I could make it be about that, though.

What sorts of "articles" would you like to see?

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#1283 of 1405 Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post

I have a blog, but it's not about living on little....I could make it be about that, though.

What sorts of "articles" would you like to see?

Thanks to everyone who's replied, I'm not great at replying since I'm usually on and off for only a few min at a time.

Kathirynne, I'm interested in logistics. Day to day how to make it work type stuff. I don't know for sure yet how much child support I will be getting but while I'm in school that will be the extent of my resources. Probably $1200-$1500/mo. 

#1284 of 1405 Old 11-12-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks to everyone who's replied, I'm not great at replying since I'm usually on and off for only a few min at a time.

Kathirynne, I'm interested in logistics. Day to day how to make it work type stuff. I don't know for sure yet how much child support I will be getting but while I'm in school that will be the extent of my resources. Probably $1200-$1500/mo. 

Do you qualify for food stamps, state medical, financial aid?

IDK what you eat but coupons have saved my butt many times and there are tons of coupon websites. 

Learn to love the library, the park, free activites in the community.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#1285 of 1405 Old 11-12-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:

IDK what you eat but coupons have saved my butt many times and there are tons of coupon websites. 

Not until the paperwork is all finalized..i wont get medical so hes graciously allowing me to postpone finalizing until feb when my cervical cancer crap is done with. I will get foodstamps though, which will probably be more than we are currently spending on food..Im applying for hud housing but there is a lonnnng wait list so Im staying with my parents in the meantime..

#1286 of 1405 Old 11-12-2013, 02:49 PM

Planning on making some dough ornaments with the kids tonight. Maybe some biscuits for the freezer too. In other news, yay for random free small appliances from family! My sister got a soda stream via one of her survey sites. But the lights dont work so they are sending her another, and since the lights just indicate the amount of carbonation, Im taking it. Woot. And my sother sister offered us a microwave that was for my neice'S dorm room but she found out she couldnt take it. While I dont miss our microwave hubby does so I know eventually we would have bought one. Im also buying a table top tree for my parents since they want to downsize and they are giving us their full sized fake. We typically do real and may again but this year will be a bit crazy thanksgiving weekend and I really love having the tree up by my bday on the first. Bills are paid and tummies are full so Im grateful.
#1287 of 1405 Old 11-12-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:

I agree - coupons are a huge help. On a good month I can double our FS by buying clearance & using coupons.

Community fairs are good to go to too - normally there is free stuff for the kiddos, local agencies and often free food. Expos are good too - we go to the local diabetes expo & healthy child expo every year. Free snacks {often even enough to make a big lunch}, dd normally gets a new bike helmet plus other goodies, and I get lots of samples. One costs $10 for me to get in, and free for dd, but we get way over that amount in coupons & samples so it's worth it.

Another big help for me is watching the free section on Slickdeals, as well as entering contests. Even if it's only a $5 Subway gift card - hey that is lunch or a snack when we are out. And if you have a CVS nearby, you can also convert SNAP to CVS store bucks called ECB's sometimes. CVS also does a lot of stuff free after ECB's - that goes in with the couponing though. I almost never pay for stuff like shampoo, dental care, soap, etc - I have a ton of stuff I've gotten free and just use from there.

Find out about city programs for kids if you can. Here they do low-cost lessons {dance / music} if you get SNAP, plus you can do summer camp for $25 for 8 weeks all day including meals.

Quote:

Not until the paperwork is all finalized..i wont get medical so hes graciously allowing me to postpone finalizing until feb when my cervical cancer crap is done with. I will get foodstamps though, which will probably be more than we are currently spending on food..Im applying for hud housing but there is a lonnnng wait list so Im staying with my parents in the meantime..

Talk to the housing folks, and if available READ the different programs to get into housing. Sometimes living with family is considered quasi-homeless or at high risk for homeless, and you might go to the top of the list. Here, if you are willing to go to the big city shelter & jump through all the hoops, you can get into housing pretty quickly. I've know a few people who sent their kids to stay with family for a week or so while they stayed at the city shelter to get into housing. I think your area probably is close to the same as I am in the same state as you.

#1288 of 1405 Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Do you have 211 in your area? It is information service for social services and community resources. Just dial 211 on your phone. Although it exists online (211.org I think) I prefer to let them do the searching

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#1289 of 1405 Old 11-13-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:

There was a blog a few years back http://under1000permonth.blogspot.com that she shut down, due to a lot of receiving a lot of criticism I think. She had some good ideas and some ideas that led people to believe she was doing some unsafe things. I guess you could read through and take what you want from it...

Also, I've found

http://thepeacefulmom.com/living-on-less-than-28000-a-year-series/

http://www.theminimalistmom.com/2012/03/frugalmoms/

http://beingfrugalbychoice.blogspot.com

http://www.topmommyblogs.com/pages/frugal_living_savings_mom_blogs.html

It couldn't hurt to check out Zenhabits and mnmlst as well as other minimalism sites, because they often have some tips you could use, even without going minimal.

And, see if you can get your hands on The Tightwad Gazette. Some of the information is outdated (mainly just the prices) but the ideas could still be used. There are three volumes or The Complete Tightwad Gazette, local libraries usually have them. I got mine for free with Swagbuck gift cards.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#1290 of 1405 Old 11-13-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:

As a student, I live off my grants and loans. I know that they count spousal income from the year before, so it wouldn't help until your FASFA for the 2013 tax year, but I'd consider that. The loans can be forgiven fully or partially for certain fields in my state. Usually medical, teaching, and public service.

I also suggest seeing if there are salvage stores in your area. Around here, about 50% of what is at the salvage store is dented or the boxes are torn but the inside bags are still sealed. There is also a surprising number of natural and organic stuff at the salvage stores because they don't sell as well at big-name grocery chains. Just make sure to check dates, but I can easily get $200 of food for $75 or less that is still within the date range just because the packaging is messed up.

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page