~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1405 Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post

I would call and beg them to keep you on the payment plan. We have done that and it has worked.

hug Praying it does for you too.

I tried, but no luck. I did manage to get them to extend the deadline to April 2nd though. Hoping I can come up with either the funds or some help with the bill by then. 

Quote:

Went to the food shelf yesterday and the kids acted like it was Christmas. Great to see them so excited. Heart breaking for me to think it was over food. greensad.gif

I am getting over myself though and doing whatever it takes to make this a less stressful time for my family.

I am looking for help with planning healthy and frugal meals using what we have on hand and minimal grocery store add ins.

Any ideas of the best place to get that help?

Sending prayers and hug to everyone here.

Another recommendation for allrecipies. Or post up here and maybe we will have some ideas. 

I'm just so thankful I finally have my medicaid, so I can get my prescriptions rewritten and filled. I'm having trouble with my asthma {probably from the lack of a/c}, and have to figure out something better than my current inhaler. 

Tomorrow I get to start calling places for help with the electric bill, and see who will do what on it. Tried having a yard sale yesterday and only made $82, which is already gone for getting our grass cut, the alley cleaned out before the city starts fining me on it, the garage sale permit and a trip to the store with a friend for things I can't get home on the bus. I have no idea where income for next month is coming from right now :( I did post a need on 2hands.org - thanks Honor Noble for the recommendation. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#182 of 1405 Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

frugalmama, maybe you could apply for liveops. They're a virtual call center and you take calls for infomercials. They don't require any prior experience, you have full control over your schedule and as long as they're having enough traffic you can just log in when you have a spare few minutes (also the option to schedule time where you'll definitely get calls). It's pretty easy to qualify, the only downside is that you have to pay your own background check which is $50. I've gone through everything, just waiting for my phone to get here so that I can start taking calls. 

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFdelayedvax.gifcrochetsmilie.gif               luxlove.gif Happily married 06/2013 love.gif       bouncy.gif DD1 (S) 04/2012  waterbirth.jpg

candle.gif missed mc 04/2013 at 9 weeks candle.gif              stork-suprise.gif Due 09/2014 belly.gif

#183 of 1405 Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

*sigh*  I'm broke.  Again.  2 shut off notices this month that I'm not sure will be taken care of.  I have to go for a biopsy today at the gyno that I'm hopeful is nothing.  My youngest is having trouble with her asthma and on oral steroids again.  And of course I get two notices for field trips for my older two that I have to pay for.  It just all seems to happen at once.  And to cap it all off, my car is making some messed up noises that are freaking me out.  I just had work done on it a year ago but I can't afford it this year and I really need it to not break down.  It's a 2003 toyota and it's paid off and has just over $100K miles but it's mine and it runs so far.  irked.gif  I guess I'm just kinda in that place where you are burnt out and frustrated with constantly struggling and having it not be enough.  I suppose the one thing to be grateful for is that my neighbor asked me to watch her sick kid today before my biopsy so it's a little bit of cash to pay for those field trips.  But it's my damn birthday on Friday.  I just wish I was in a mood to celebrate and enjoy it.  

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#184 of 1405 Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymonkey View Post

frugalmama, maybe you could apply for liveops. They're a virtual call center and you take calls for infomercials. They don't require any prior experience, you have full control over your schedule and as long as they're having enough traffic you can just log in when you have a spare few minutes (also the option to schedule time where you'll definitely get calls). It's pretty easy to qualify, the only downside is that you have to pay your own background check which is $50. I've gone through everything, just waiting for my phone to get here so that I can start taking calls. 

Do you have to have a land line to do this? What other requirements do they have?

JustMama: Hugs!! Happy birthday early! Try to do something special for you no matter how small it is. Even a nice bubble bath.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#185 of 1405 Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM

I may have to check out live ops too!

Super grateful exdh is helping me sell my van and got a trade in for me I will be getting by weeks end! A year newer much better mpg and 30k less miles, at this poimt I will only be paying sales tax. He literally is saving me about 5-6k and I am getting a much nicer car at the price I can afford.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#186 of 1405 Old 03-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Hugs, justmama. Yes, celebrate in some small way. Use those food stamps to buy a small cake or something, pick up some trashy mags from the library, indulge in a warm bath.

Yardsaling was decent. I got a pillow pet for a dollar, and its going to either my son or nephew. I got a practically brand new game for my older nephew and a second one for my sil family for the holidays ( im planning on doing a bssket with a board game , snacks, and maybe an inexpensive movie for a family fun day). I also got a van goh book for dh, for our anniversary or his bday, and a planetarium for dd that I need to chsck out. For me I got a new cardifan and small cr8ckpot I want to use for soapmaking soon. I just have to wzit until I cN stock up on large containers of olive oil and coconut oil, and of course buy lye.
#187 of 1405 Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

Do you have to have a land line to do this? What other requirements do they have?

The requirements are pretty basic, can't have filed for bankruptcy and pass the background check is pretty much it as long as they're hiring. You have to have a landline and connec to the internet with a cord while working. You have a while to get that set up. 

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFdelayedvax.gifcrochetsmilie.gif               luxlove.gif Happily married 06/2013 love.gif       bouncy.gif DD1 (S) 04/2012  waterbirth.jpg

candle.gif missed mc 04/2013 at 9 weeks candle.gif              stork-suprise.gif Due 09/2014 belly.gif

#188 of 1405 Old 03-25-2013, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Went to the food shelf yesterday and the kids acted like it was Christmas. Great to see them so excited. Heart breaking for me to think it was over food. greensad.gif

I am getting over myself though and doing whatever it takes to make this a less stressful time for my family.

I am looking for help with planning healthy and frugal meals using what we have on hand and minimal grocery store add ins.

Any ideas of the best place to get that help?

Sending prayers and hug to everyone here.

There's a couple threads for cheap eats here. Aside from that, I'd be happy to share some of my inexpensive meals. We try to keep our food at about 50 cents a serving, but lately we've been meat-heavy. Get a beg of flour, a bag of beans and a chicken, and you'll eat for a week!

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#189 of 1405 Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just don't even know what to do anymore. I have no job because I have no car. I have no car because I have no money to fix the one I have. I have no money because I can't get work. Its just so frustrating. I've tried everything to get any job I can. I'm thinking of becoming a house keeper but I don't even know where to start? The only way me and my LO have food is because of our FS and a roof is because of DF's mom. I've been so upset lately because I feel so hopeless. DF isn't doing anything to help and I can't make him. If him and I fight he threatens to kick me and DS out. This is the best place financially for DS to be, but I'm not getting any help for anything else.
I just don't even know what to do.

- - - -
#190 of 1405 Old 03-26-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:

The requirements are pretty basic, can't have filed for bankruptcy and pass the background check is pretty much it as long as they're hiring. You have to have a landline and connec to the internet with a cord while working. You have a while to get that set up. 

Well damn that counts me out. I can't believe in this economy they are still looking at bankruptcy or credit reports for jobs. Oh well! Hopefully it works out for everyone else.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#191 of 1405 Old 03-27-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyxxmcfly View Post

I just don't even know what to do anymore. I have no job because I have no car. I have no car because I have no money to fix the one I have. I have no money because I can't get work. Its just so frustrating. I've tried everything to get any job I can. I'm thinking of becoming a house keeper but I don't even know where to start? The only way me and my LO have food is because of our FS and a roof is because of DF's mom. I've been so upset lately because I feel so hopeless. DF isn't doing anything to help and I can't make him. If him and I fight he threatens to kick me and DS out. This is the best place financially for DS to be, but I'm not getting any help for anything else.
I just don't even know what to do.

hug2.gif  Hey.  Welcome.  Sorry you have to be here with us.  That situation would make me ragey.  I say this with all gentleness but are you positive this is the man you want as your lifelong companion?  I'm sure he has other redeeming qualities but you can really tell a lot about a person's character when the poo hits the fan and the chips are down, ya know?  We all need a partner in this life, someone who has our back.  Doesn't sound like he has yours.  Just because it might be the best thing financially for your son doesn't mean it's the best thing for him all around.  You sound like you are spinning your wheels and not getting anywhere.  Did you try advertising your cleaning services through craigslist or through word of mouth with DF's mom?  Are you guys at all friendly?  Maybe should could put your name out there to her friends for cleaning?  The older generation usually has a hard time cleaning their homes when the homes become too big for them and maybe a few of her friends need someone to come every few weeks for a deep cleaning or something like that.  You'd be surprised how quickly you can get your name out there.  Also, check bulletin boards at whole foods or other networking type areas for advertisements for cleaning.  

#192 of 1405 Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Those are really good ideas that I didn't think of. I'm a bit younger so is MIL and my parents also. I'd say everyone in the circles we know are almost all under 50 or even really 45. I'll start seeing how to get myself out there more.

I shouldn't say DF doesn't help, I just mean financially he doesn't help. He's getting quite a chunk of money on his birthday so somethings should ease up then, hopefully. He helps with the stay at home stuff when he can, and he tries to help with DS but DS has a ton of attachment on me right now.

But you're right, I'm just really worn out and sick of spinning my wheels but not getting anywhere.

- - - -
#193 of 1405 Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 PM

*hugs*  I understand.  Being poor is really hard work.  It's emotionally draining.

#194 of 1405 Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM

Still here, still broke. Fingers crossed a check comes on the 3rd, so I can immediately go pay the electric bill before they cut it off. It's supposed to be paid by the 2nd. I've called all over town and nobody has funds for utility bill assistance except for the one city place that we can't go back to for 6 months. Thinking of just paying what I have on the bill, even though it's way less than what is owed. I have like $200 and the bill is $544. Maybe paying some would keep them from cutting it off? IDK. Never been this late before. 

Still trying to come up with income sources. Thinking about becoming a Barefoot Books Ambassador, if I can scrape together the $139 for the kit I would need. I think I could sell enough books to at least pay some of the bills, and maybe all of them if I try really hard. Plus we'd get free books too, which would be nice for gifts for dd. I figure I could do a monthly sale type email thing among the local homeschoolers, and maybe a booth at the local conventions, and bring in customers that way. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#195 of 1405 Old 03-30-2013, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I hate the first paycheck of the month. This one we got our bills for having electric and water on two houses for a month and we are short almost $500. Haven't decided exactly what to do yet.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#196 of 1405 Old 03-31-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Went to DES last week, managed to sit there for THREE hours and finally get seen by a case worker.  Was immediately approved for the next 6 months of FS and Medical.  (yep instant poverty).  I've been subbing again, it barely pays the bills and I hate calling my parents for money.  Therapy seems to be helping this time-I officially switched counselors.  Being gluten free is starting to stress me out again.

Basically nothing has changed.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#197 of 1405 Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM

Hi, I'm not sure I really belong in this thread, but I lurk. I just wanted to reply to zebra - what is it about being gluten-free that is stressing you out currently? My husband is gluten-free so if there is something I could help with, please let me know. You've probably found a lot of good resources already but there are some good blogs I visit if you want specific links. 

#198 of 1405 Old 03-31-2013, 05:23 PM

mamaofprincesses, this thread is for anyone who wants to be here.  As long as your posts are supportive, you belong here.  Poverty or not.  Low income or LOWER THAN YOU'D LIKE income.  :) That's a pretty broad range.

Gratefuls:

-Easter was lovely.  We managed a quiet home morning, one side of the family in the afternoon, and a quick stop by the other side of the family in the evening.  Kids were great.  They had a blast playing with their cousins in the afternoon and my asthmatic only needed 2 breathing treatments today so it was a huge success.  I was a little concerned checking the pollen counts this morning before we left but she managed okay.

-started to panic that there was no more cat food in the bucket tonight when I fed them and then realized that I was smart enough to buy the giant bag last time I had money so I had half a giant bag left downstairs on the pantry shelves.  Doesn't happen often but sometimes I'm intelligent.

-The pediatrician started mailing out scripts for the controlled stuff(Adderall) now so I didn't have to drive 20minutes one way and burn that gas to pick up my daughter's prescription monthly so that's a nice money-saver.  

-this week I did some sick-care for the neighbor's kid so I was able to make Easter nice this year instead of scrounging pennies for dollar store stuff like last year.  It was still from the dollar store but at least it was a little more impressive than the 3 things they each got last year.  

-it's starting to warm up outside into the 50's nearly every day which means our heating costs are finally lowering and I could NOT be happier!!!!

#199 of 1405 Old 04-02-2013, 08:29 AM

Hello Mamas.  I just found this thread.  Recently we re-applied for FS and to our shock we didn't qualify and they said we make too much money.  I have no idea how because after we pay all our bills we have close to no money left.  DH works at a decent job but doesn't make a lot of money and usually only works 30-35 hours a week.  I am a full time student and occasionally sub but not often.  We found out on Friday and have been in a panic.  We have been going over finances and things are going to be very tight.  DH also has to pay $800+ for taxes (because of freelance work he did)...we are going to have to borrow some money from his Mom, but after this month we will have to figure out how to make this work.  Anyone have any tips on how to really cut food costs?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#200 of 1405 Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom~Mama View Post

Hello Mamas.  I just found this thread.  Recently we re-applied for FS and to our shock we didn't qualify and they said we make too much money.  I have no idea how because after we pay all our bills we have close to no money left.  DH works at a decent job but doesn't make a lot of money and usually only works 30-35 hours a week.  I am a full time student and occasionally sub but not often.  We found out on Friday and have been in a panic.  We have been going over finances and things are going to be very tight.  DH also has to pay $800+ for taxes (because of freelance work he did)...we are going to have to borrow some money from his Mom, but after this month we will have to figure out how to make this work.  Anyone have any tips on how to really cut food costs?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

There are many threads about this but I think one of the biggest things I have found it eating less meat. Our family has been vegetarian for many years but when I look at the price of meat and what we already spend on food. I really don't know how we would afford it. We would be vegetarian out of necessity. The other thing is making as much as you can at home. I don't have the patience or energy to make my own ketchup and things like that but I will buy a big thing of plain yougurt and add jam in over preflavored yougurt any day, healthier and cheaper. Same with oatmeal. Rather thank packets I buy a bulk oats and our own honey, raisins, nuts etc... Planning ahead is hard sometimes but it can really pay off. We don't leave the  house without snacks anymore to avoid any possible eating out temptations and I meal plan for the week. Now if only I could plan before I shop I really be doing good. Instead I tend to shop and then plan the week based on what I bought. The problem is that I often realize that I am missing things for certain recipes I want to make or I've over bought and wasted money. Hope some of this is helpful...

#201 of 1405 Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 PM

I don't know where else to go to share my excitement. We got enrolled and granted SNAP today. Obviously I shared with my fiance, but I feel like shouting from the rooftops, and no one wants to hear that. It's funny because we still have an overload of bills to pay that we can't, but we have food and that makes me over the moon happy.

And not only that, but since we got approved last month and they were just waiting for proof of income before they granted it, we got last month and this months benefits. (Kind of weird because our benefit date is supposed to be the 13th, but whatever.) Our monthly benefit was more than I was expecting and since we have so much I will be able to go to Sams and buy bulk like I want to. And I'll feel 0 guilt for buying a gallon of raw local honey at the farmers market that accepts SNAP. I'm just so happy, best way to start my month =)

maciascl likes this.

#202 of 1405 Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:

I don't know where else to go to share my excitement. We got enrolled and granted SNAP today. Obviously I shared with my fiance, but I feel like shouting from the rooftops, and no one wants to hear that. It's funny because we still have an overload of bills to pay that we can't, but we have food and that makes me over the moon happy.

And not only that, but since we got approved last month and they were just waiting for proof of income before they granted it, we got last month and this months benefits. (Kind of weird because our benefit date is supposed to be the 13th, but whatever.) Our monthly benefit was more than I was expecting and since we have so much I will be able to go to Sams and buy bulk like I want to. And I'll feel 0 guilt for buying a gallon of raw local honey at the farmers market that accepts SNAP. I'm just so happy, best way to start my month =)

That's wonderful news!!!  Having food in the house and not having to panic about food is the best feeling.  Our local farmer's market accepts SNAP too and my girls and I go every week during the summer and buy all of our produce there along with our own garden.  Our favorite baker always saves a baggie of breadsticks for us because he knows how much my girls love them.  And the honey man always expects us to pick up a honey stick per kid.  And the drummers know we'll be there for some music while we snack on honey, bread, and veggies.  It's the highlight of our week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom~Mama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

There are many threads about this but I think one of the biggest things I have found it eating less meat. Our family has been vegetarian for many years but when I look at the price of meat and what we already spend on food. I really don't know how we would afford it. We would be vegetarian out of necessity. The other thing is making as much as you can at home. I don't have the patience or energy to make my own ketchup and things like that but I will buy a big thing of plain yougurt and add jam in over preflavored yougurt any day, healthier and cheaper. Same with oatmeal. Rather thank packets I buy a bulk oats and our own honey, raisins, nuts etc... Planning ahead is hard sometimes but it can really pay off. We don't leave the  house without snacks anymore to avoid any possible eating out temptations and I meal plan for the week. Now if only I could plan before I shop I really be doing good. Instead I tend to shop and then plan the week based on what I bought. The problem is that I often realize that I am missing things for certain recipes I want to make or I've over bought and wasted money. Hope some of this is helpful...

Welcome Freedom~Mama.  You've gotten great tips above ^^^^ but I think I might have one or two more.  For the meat you eat(if you do), try buying whole chickens when they go on sale and cooking them in the crockpot.  It's stupid easy.  I'm veggie but my kids are omni.  I put a whole chicken, lemon juice or a lemon depending on what I have, and some herbs in the crockpot and cook for 8 hours and serve for dinner.  Once dinner is done, the work begins.  I strip the entire thing, portion into baggies, and freeze or refrigerate for later meals like soup and quesadillas, etc. I then use the juices and make chicken stock for soup and coook that down again and freeze in mason jars.  It's an all day process but it's cheap and requires very little hands-on work, and makes stock AND meat for many meals.  Likewise, I make my own veggie broth.  I put all my veggie peelings and scraps(that half-eaten carrot that no one wanted, the last spoonful of corn, those few spinach leaves that got wilty in the fridge, etc and store them in jars and baggies in my freezer.  When I have a crockpot full, I cook them down for stock overnight.  I NEVER buy stock or buillion cubes for soup EVER.  Waste of money.  I make most of my girls' snacks instead of buying.  But I bake smart.  When I make cookies, I make a double batch and wrap half of hte dough in saran wrap and put it in the freezer in a "log" so I have slice and bake cookies whenever I need them.  That way I can make just a few, half a batch, or a whole batch depending on my needs.  Likewise, I make waffles and pancakes in double batches and freeze for easy mornings.  It's all from scratch instead of processed since it's cheaper and healthier that way and it takes maybe an extra 10minutes to make a double batch instead of a single so it's worth it.  We don't eat a whole lot of fancy foods with crazy spices and ingredients.  I'm an okay cook.  I can make simple things.  But I know my limits and super involved prep work isn't for me so most meals are simple and easy like homemade chicken nuggets and spinach salad and another veggie or fruit.  Or tacos and raw veggies on the side(meat tacos for them, tvp and veggie tacos for me).  Stir fry is a great way to use up all the last bits of veggies, as is fried rice and pasta dishes.  Never let any bit go to waste.  Those two mouthfuls of soy milk my daughter didn't finish go in the fridge for use in pancakes or smoothies or whatever.  Yogurt or applesauce can replace oil easily so we always save those, even just in a spoonful or two.  We save fruit in a jar in the freezer(half-eaten bananas, the random strawberry no one ate, etc) for smoothies.  I don't buy small packages of anything.  I buy a big tub of pretzels and portion out for snacks/lunches.  I'll buy oatmeal several pounds at a time from the bulk bins, store in large jars, and portion out for the kids for the morning and do a "make your own oatmeal" day.  Put out all the approved toppings and go at it, sundae style.  :)  I always try to aim for having 2 dishes of leftovers from each dinner.  That gives me something to pack in their lunches or for myself on a busy day.  Also, never underestimate the power of "snack plate."  It's the same concept as giving newly mobile toddlers an ice cube tray readily available always for snacking.  Pull all the raw cut veggies and fruits and dried nuts and seeds from your pantry and put on a tray for snacking instead of a meal.  That small amt of pasta, the one granola bar, the last spoonful of hummus, etc.  It's all fair game for the tray.  Maybe center family game night around a snack plate dinner for a treat.  It FEELS like a treat but it's all healthy foods that you didn't have to cook.  It takes 5 minutes of prep work to chop some veggies and pull everything together.  Snack plate is my go-to when everyone is starving and ragey and wants dinner like YESTERDAY and we just walked in the door and it's essentially stuff you'd just chuck anyway since it's not enough for a full meal.

#203 of 1405 Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM

Will need to write down these tips. Thanks to those who shared. smile.gif

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#204 of 1405 Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 AM

CrunchyMonkey - it feels great to have groceries, doesn't it!

We got our FS for the month on the 1st, and yesterday I did a big shopping run. Lucked into finding seasoned chicken leg quarters for .49/lb so I stocked up! And we got paid this month too, so most of the bills are paid. I still have to pay $50 on the electric, and $30 for the water, but those can slide a month if need be. I'm going to try to sell enough stuff on craigslist to pay them though as I really really don't want to get behind again. I'm hopeful to make enough I can either get some ceiling fans & put them in the rooms, or some box fans. Without a/c the heat is really getting to us here in South Texas. Need to go apply for a weatherization program to see if they will help fix the house up from that POV. 

And Saturday we're having a freebie outing :) One of the local grocery chains does a health family expo every year, with lots of free samples & coupons & stuff for the kids. It's a big event held at a local convention center, but free to get in & normally free to get there on city bus. 

#205 of 1405 Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 PM

frugalmama, that expo sounds awesome!!!

Sometimes being poor is okay.  Yesterday we were given free tickets to Sesame Street Live through my daughter's Head Start class!  Two free tickets valued at $18 per ticket!  I was psyched.  She doesn't really watch sesame street since we don't get but one tv channel and never turn it on anyway but she knows who the characters are and I got her daddy to agree to take her so she'll be excited about a special night with daddy tonight.  

Today we had our second pedi appt this week(ugh!) so while we were close, we went to the children's museum.  We get in free with our medicaid cards.  Packed a picnic lunch and played for a while.  Nice day.  Then I get to spend a nice quiet movie night with my two oldest tonight while daddy takes the little one to Sesame Street.  Some knitting and a movie sounds nice.  Maybe we'll make some popcorn too.  Just the thing for these horrible cramps.irked.gif

#206 of 1405 Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

CrunchyMonkey - it feels great to have groceries, doesn't it!

We got our FS for the month on the 1st, and yesterday I did a big shopping run. Lucked into finding seasoned chicken leg quarters for .49/lb so I stocked up! And we got paid this month too, so most of the bills are paid. I still have to pay $50 on the electric, and $30 for the water, but those can slide a month if need be. I'm going to try to sell enough stuff on craigslist to pay them though as I really really don't want to get behind again. I'm hopeful to make enough I can either get some ceiling fans & put them in the rooms, or some box fans. Without a/c the heat is really getting to us here in South Texas. Need to go apply for a weatherization program to see if they will help fix the house up from that POV. 

And Saturday we're having a freebie outing :) One of the local grocery chains does a health family expo every year, with lots of free samples & coupons & stuff for the kids. It's a big event held at a local convention center, but free to get in & normally free to get there on city bus. 

Hey we're in Texas too! I loved our electric bill for February but I know it's going to suck in a few months. 

justmama-that's cool about the children's museum. I'm checking now to see if anything in my area does something like that. 

#207 of 1405 Old 04-04-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Well, my birthday is next week, but a friend has a b'day this week. My sister sent me a giftcard that I'm never going to use so I'm recycling that as a gift to said friend.  I hate obligatory gifts.  UGH.

I really need my new psychatrist appointment. I thought waiting til 4/16 was no big deal, its only a couple weeks, however I need meds.  I really REALLY need meds.  I need one med in particular.  Sometimes county medical makes it so difficult, the rx needs to be written by plan provider, this is a new change, before anyone could write the rx and they would cover the cost.  I sure hope the new dr doesn't want to start changing all my meds.

I did some resumes today.  Summer is coming and I need some type of income.  Subbing is going to end in about a month.  I need to get my act together.

I have $191 dollars until payday and I need to figure out how much I will be paid next Thursday.  That $191 needs to cover $75 in swim club fees, plus gas for the car $60, $200 electric and $300 internet.phone.cable (this is really behind).  Plus I owe therapy $400.  At least my rent check cleared and the swim check will clear.  I can probably get an extension on the electric and internet.

i need a job, a regular job so I can finally get even, Im not even trying to get ahead, i just want to get even.

Oh and I need to miss a day of subbing cuz kiddo has another foot fungus infection.  He loves swim team but his feet are deadly.  

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#208 of 1405 Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 AM

Zebra- Are you a certified teacher? If so, check into summer programs for the school districts around you. I know my district is always hiring for ESYP programs, camps, and summer schools. They always need aids for the disabled students in these programs. The pay isn't great, but it's consistent. (The aids don't have to be certified). Good luck!

#209 of 1405 Old 04-07-2013, 04:27 PM

jumpers.gif We got our heating assistance award letter.  $440!  I'm so relieved!!! I've been waiting since October to know this!  I hate how long it takes.  Huge weight off my shoulders.

maciascl likes this.

#210 of 1405 Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

jumpers.gif We got our heating assistance award letter.  $440!  I'm so relieved!!! I've been waiting since October to know this!  I hate how long it takes.  Huge weight off my shoulders.

So Glad to hear you got it! Utility assistance is a huge help. 

We went to the expo yesterday and had a blast. Brought home lots of free samples & goodies, even FRUIT! We were able to get lovely strawberries 2 pints free at the expo - something we rarely splurge on as it's hard to find good ones at our local stores. DD had a blast too - she got to get a brand new book free at one of the booths, and to pick up lots of coloring sheets & stuff. I also picked up flyers for 2 more free expos in the next month for us to go to - it's a nice free outing {except for bus fare} and we get freebies. 

I'm working today on raising funds to pay the rest of this months bills - I've been listing books online to sell. Hopefully I can sell enough to pay at least this months bills, and maybe even next months. Figuring I need about $250 to pay this months and next months - if the homeschooling stuff I have sells I should have that easy. Trying to get it before I need it, as it's not looking like Mom will be coming home anytime soon. She was tentatively supposed to come home in a week or two, but she had to go back into the hospital for an infection & heart issues early this morning. So I'm not counting on having her here to help with the bills for May. 

I still need to get some big items sold to pay the taxes on the house....wish my AC system would sell. 

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page