Winter Meal Planning and Pantry Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone want to join me in meal planning and striving to minimize purchases for the next few weeks (or months!)?

I want to save money and I want to plan my meals primarily from what I have in the freezer and pantry.  I purchase weekly milk and eggs, and will need some produce.  

Tomorrow I will be shopping at the 'good' grocery store for the first time in a while.  I am trying to make a thoughtful list this afternoon - mainly coffee and mineral water (really the only drinks we buy - we mostly drink filtered tap water).  I want to stop by the local produce stand as well - I know they have a few things available still.

Meal plan so far:

Sun 1/6  Pork chops (freezer), leek fritters, applesauce (pantry), buttery kale (garden) - also making chicken stock today

Mon 1/7 creamed chicken over biscuits (leftover roasted chicken from Sat, carrots from garden)

Tues 1/8 

Wed 1/9

I'm working on this week's plan so I will come back and update when I finish.  I usually just plan dinners and do a few days at a time so I know what to soak or thaw!  I'm also trying to make more homemade snacks so I can reduce those purchases for the girls.  I am fine with cheese and apples, but they also like crackers and muffins and things like that.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#2 of 4 Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm game.  I have a stockpiled freezer that I need to get through, too.  I mean, I stocked it FOR THIS REASON!  LOL!  And I need to reduce our meat intake so I need to plan more bean meals.

We can't do grains or starches in the morning so if anyone has any recipes that use beans or other non-egg proteins (even if they're not traditionally "breakfast" stuff), game on.  We pretty much eat eggs daily although sometimes we do some goat's milk yogurt.

My plan:

Monday: yogurt/eggs for breakfast,  carrots & guacamole for snack, leftover chicken w/roasted potatoes and green beans for lunch, miso soup and spinach salad for dinner.

Tuesday: yogurt/eggs for breakfast,  carrots & guacamole for snack again, meatloaf with corn from freezer, baked acorn squash, and maybe some canned spaghetti squash with pesto, dinner would be a concoction of chicken broth, quinoa, beans and some zucchini & yellow squash from the freezer.

Wednesday: yogurt/eggs for breakfast, probably the last day we'll be stocked with carrots & guac for snacks, baked salmon with some kind of quinoa concoction using freezer veggies, carrot-cilantro soup with spinach salad for dinner.

Thursday:  yogurt/eggs for breakfast, clueless on snacks but could probably make nut butter balls with dates and coconut meat, likely tamale-bean pie from freezer for lunch with some corn muffins, dinner... hmmm...

At that point I need to get some vegetables in the house and find recipes for pureed pumpkin (from freezer), and zucchini and yellow squash (from freezer).

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 4 Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I suck at meal planning so I'm not even going to really attempt that but I need to get creative with breakfasts at the very least right now.  I am currently feeding 7 children ages 12 and under every weekday morning before school and just my 3 on the weekends.  That adds up fast!  I will come back and update when I have more time but I'm reserving my spot in this thread.  I'm looking to find recipes for the 20cups of pumpkin puree I made this year in the crockpot after Halloween that are in my freezer right now and I want to get through some of the crazy stuffed freezer stockpile of veggies from this past summer's garden.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#4 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What I need is for someone to come to my house, look through my pantry, and make meal plans for me.  confused.gif

I get into ruts and feel awfully uncreative at times.  I've also got a lot of stuff that I don't want us to eat anymore, but I also don't want to throw food away, so I get stumped.  Still... I need to do this.  I want to eat down our freezer so I can defrost it and to eat down our pantry so I can restock it with good stuff.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page