Budgeting 101 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

There's been lots of threads on budgeting for everyone's personal situations... Does anyone have any real concrete tips for beginning budgeting?

Specific tips that can help anyone and everyone regardless of their situations? Maybe if we gets lots of good general "how to start budgeting/budgeting 101" tips we can make this a sticky!

I know I get overwhelmed when I look at trying to start budgeting. And this is something that is high on my "2013 Goals: Organize, house and money and get Healthy, financially and physically". But no matter how many times I try and read financial info or budgeting blogs or books (gotta loves Gail and Dave), I get overwhelmed and need things broken down into very small easy to start and understand steps :)

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25********35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#2 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

All I do is use Excel to make a spreadsheet!

Something simple like this:

Pay Rent Phone Water Electric Food Gas Health Kids Fun Insur. Xmas Savings
$1,500 $500 $80 $40 $100 $130 $200 $100 $80 $80 $100 $25 $65
  $1,000 $920 $880 $780 $650 $450 $350 $270 $190 $90 $65 $0

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#3 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think the first step in anyone making a budget it figuring out how much you are currently spending.  For us, that meant three months of obsessively recording every expenditure. 

After you so that, it's much easier to figure what you are spending, what you feel is reasonable and the changes you need to make.  If you look at see you're spending $300/month on eating out it may make you feel sick and cut back, it may make you appreciate how much you enjoy eating out... at least you *know* where your money is going.

#4 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Agreed.  The #1 best way to start a budget is to just track what you are currently making and spending over a 1-3 month period.  Then make a list of your top three finance goals (paying off debt or savings for vacation or an emergency fund, etc..).  Once you know where your money is going you can start to adjust your spending to work towards your financial goals.  We prefer using the envelope method of budgeting because it's easy to see if we have money to spend on something or not.  We use Neobudget.com to track all of our spending and love the front cover where you get a bird's eye view of each category so we know exactly where we need to adjust our spending.

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page