Best Frugal Tips Contest Sponsored by Bummis - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2013, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Use white vinegar instead of fabric softener for your laundry.  It's cheaper and also keeps your machine clean.  No gumming up your machine from fabric softener residue.  Which will save you from costly machine repairs.  It will also save your clothes from wearing out faster as well. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 PM

Shared on my page and liked both.

I shared on my wall, and I am just getting into making my own baby food, I am also raising chickens to provide healthy organic food for my family for cheap along with gardening. I am super into fugal mothering and always looking for money savers and a Bummies diaper kit would help me out very much. In the community that I live in if I win there will be lots of other babies that will also wear them after we are done  And maybe my second child down the road in my life! What goes around comes back around when it comes to baby clothes in Oregon!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:19 PM

I made my own cloth wipes. Cloth wipes were selling for $12 for a dozen. I got a couple of yards for $2 each from the fabric store and made 96 wipes! All for less then what a dozen would have cost. I now think I have too many wipes (not possible actually). For the solution I use heavily diluted aloe vera juice. I posted a picture on Facebook I was so proud.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 PM

Buy most frequently used food and consumables in bulk.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM

We make our own takeout! Japanese food out for a family of five and growing is over 50-$89 for us. All this was less than $20 and we had leftovers for another dinner!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 PM

Liked and shared smile.gif Elizabeth McDowell via Facebook
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 PM

HpbZoQI1
pic.twitter.com/HpbZoQI http://pic.twitter.com/HpbZoQI
We bed share <3 I don't know if you have priced cribs/cots/bassinets recently but that stuff
gets expensive! We all sleep cozy in our "nest" all our little birdies end up in the nest each night . Not only does it save money but nothing is more precious than the closeness and memories you get by snuggling all your babies .
Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 PM

I used to love using 'special occasions' and 'holidays' as excuses to spend money I didn't have. Now I live by the "let others shine" motto.  If I am not the best dressed at the party, I enjoy the people around me who went all out for the delight of my own eyes. If I don't wrap up presents that are state of the art at Christmas, I have fun dolling out the gracious compliments to those who did. My ego (and my bank account) will thank me later when I don't try to recreate a magazine cover when I am cooking for a pot luck-hang out. I will be the one with the veggie platter, wearing my sister's fabulous hand me downs, and beaming from ear to ear because I love the people in my life without having to buy their affection.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 AM

liked and shared. 

one frugal thing we do is to make our own cleaning solution. 

put orange or lemon peels in a jar (save in freezer until you have enough to fill your jar) and cover with white vinegar. 

let set for 3 or 4 weeks, shaking up occasionally.

strain liquid and put into sprayer container, add water to double liquid. voila.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 AM

one of the frugal things we do around the house is to grow scallions and chives in the window though the winter. i am planning on starting an indoor herb garden too.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM

Cloth diapering is definately the most frugal thing we do.  We do use disposibles occasionally but only about 1 pack per month instead of 1 or more a week.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM

I second a lot of what the other mommas are saying here: cloth diapers, breastfeeding, making your own baby food, planting a garden. I do buy as much seasonal/sale produce as possible and if I cant get around to canning it, I freeze it.

We try to hit up at least one U-pick farm a month during the growing the season. Great way to get outdoors, connect munchkin with the food process, and fill the freezer and pantry. Plus, if you bring a picnic, it is a great family outing!

I would add keeping chickens to the list, but like any pet, they require a bit of start-up funds, maintenance and the cooperation or understanding of your neighbors and therefore aren't for everyone. Our chickens, however, have kept us from having to purchase lawn care machinery because they eat the grass and bugs and we can use the eggs to barter for the neighbor's mower when the front lawn needs a trim.

Might I also suggest, for people who live in warmer climates, hanging your diapers on the line and forgoing the dryer altogether? works wonders in the Texas summer sun!

treehugger.gif, familybed1.gif wife of a pilot, mother to a girl (3-1-10), adog2.gif, acat.gif, and 4 chicken3.gif

Union Stagehanddust.gif Dreaming of returning to the PacNW ASAP!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM

Likes and shared!!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM

We have a grape vine so I make my own grape jelly!!  My kids love peanut butter and jelly and making my own saves us a ton of money with four kids in school!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM

Liked and shared! My frugal tip is to do once a month cooking. All your meals for the month cooked in one day. Most of it goes in the freezer. The book Once a Month Cooking is awesome.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM

Liked and shared on Face Book! Thanks for the chance to win.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM

Shared on FB.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 PM

A frugal tip for wipes is all those swaddling blankets you aren't going to use after the first couple of months. Cut them into 6 squares, a quick sew along the cut edges and you have tons of cloth wipes for cheap.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 PM

We also line dry our cloth diapers even though we live in an apartment. We strung paracord across our window and use Whitmor clip and drip hangers to dry our diapers. 

Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 PM

Grow your own food! Having a garden can be as easy and simple as a window box herb garden or an entire lawn transformation (which would also save you from having to mow the lawn!) we have a garden every year and not only is it the best way to know where your food is coming from, but children love to be outside and learn about the plants as well. If the child helps to raise the plants and is around the vegetables, they learn how delicious they are fresh and eating healthy is so much easier!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 PM

My best frugal tip is to make a menu list, make a grocery list based off of that and stick to it while shopping.  I usually save $200-300 per month doing this.  It also cuts spending money on eating out because things are planned already and the money is already spent on REAL food.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 PM

What a fun contest! Liked and shared on Facebook! :)

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 PM

My favorite frugal tip is mindfulness.

When you are mindful of what you truly need to feel happy, secure, calm and content, you realize that you don’t need as much as you think you do.

Mindfulness is making bread, enjoying the process, and savoring every bite.

Mindfulness is taking a walk outside.

Mindfulness is listening to someone speak and really hearing what they have to say.

Mindfulness is repairing an item before throwing it away, or finding a creative solution to your problems, or looking for fun, free ways to enjoy life as a family.

Mindfulness is remembering that often times if it's good for the environment it's good for the pocketbook.

Mindfulness is about abundance rather than deprivation and about the beauty of just enough, rather than too much.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 PM

Frugal Tip #1 - Buy Vintage!  Why purchase cheaply made, expensive furniture that will be out of style and NEED replacing (due to quality) in five years, when you can seek out super-cool vintage items at your local 2nd hand store!  Buy used - it's the best form of recycling out there :)  

Here's a picture of some of my recycled items.  Chair - free, Telefunken $100, clock $60 (all teak and been around longer than I have, so should be good for a few more decades).

AppleMark

Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 PM

Frugal Tip #2 - Definitely breastfeeding and clothing diapering my first two kids.  I can only imagine the amount of $$ saved after 5 years total in cloth diapers.  Unfortunately my newborn diapers are shot and will be needing a new set for baby #3.

Sorry, no picture of kiddos in the cloth (6 years ago - those pictures have been stored away).

Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 PM

Frugal Tip #3 - Enjoying what we have!  Just because it's old, doesn't mean that you need to replace it.  

A couple years ago we moved into a great old house and had big dreams for it - everything had to go, RENOVATE!  Over time though, we've grown to love our 80's oak and rooster tiles, they are comfortable and make it home.  There is nothing wrong with our home, it is just dated - but if we were to invest thousands, in ten years it'll just be dated again.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:22 PM

Frugal Tip:
Keep your home clean and organized! I know this sounds silly but it's so easy to run to the store and buy more stuff if you don't know where it is or have to replace stuff because its dirty or broken. Plus when you organize, you often rediscover things you forgot you had.

Kate~ Mama to two.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 PM

I like both pages and shared on Facebook - great contest!

My first frugal tip is actually a big money saver - buy used vehicles with cash and drive them as long as possible. The lack of car payment is financially advantageous, and keeping a car for a long time is also good for the environment. We have only owned 5 vehicles in our family (we've been together 20 years), and are still driving two of them. Two were donated to charity when it was no longer feasible to keep them, and one fell victim to our first teen driver :-) 

I once read that "new car smell" is one of the most expensive smells you can buy!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 PM

Second frugal tip - don't waste food.

This sounds simple but statistics show that the average American family discards $2,275 in food annually.

We have started making a conscious effort to only buy what we need, and to cook smaller portions (because kids always complain about leftovers).

Also, because we keep chickens, all of the scraps and even spoiled things are fed to the hens - they aren't picky, they eat bugs!

They will even eat things that we previously did not consider edible, like the grease left after cooking ground beef.

We also grind up their egg shells and feed them back as a calcium supplement.

Here is a photo of my girl helping with the hens :-)

Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 PM

Frugal tip #3 :-)

Save money on vacations/travel by thinking outside the box!

We love to vacation, but like many families need to be mindful of our budget.

Over the past few years we have started to investigate alternatives to hotels.

We still use them, but have also found great deals on condos, houses, etc online, typically saving up to half the price of hotels. Staying someplace with a kitchen also allows us to eat most of our meals in, saving a bundle in restaurant costs. We still eat out on vacation, but only a couple of times.

Hostels are also a fantastic resource for vacationing with families - the rooms are typically spare, but usually there are cooking facilities, and we have enjoyed the added benefit of exposing the kids to people from many walks of life and cultures.

In 2008 my teenager was able to watch the US presidential debate with teens and young adults from all over the world while we were hostelling in Boston.

Our last trip took us to California, where we stayed at a lighthouse and I was able to practice my (rudimentary) French.

Here I am with our youngest posing at our last hostel spot - we stayed there with 4 of our kids and my daughter's best friend - we had a view of the ocean from our bunk beds!

Tags
Frugality , Finances
User Tag List