Best Frugal Tips Contest Sponsored by Bummis - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#181 of 197 Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess my frugal tip would be the following:

Buy used baby gear (when necessary) on craigslist or through local flea markets/secondhand shops (like Goodwill). You can find a lot of good buys (especially for almost-new clothing when children are growing rather rapidly).

Old infant baby clothes can be recycled by sewing the tops of the bodices to towels and making cute hanging towels to use as dishtowels or the like (they can be hung from anything with a handle).

lilacvioletiris and Kamiro like this.
#182 of 197 Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Lanolin makes free diaper rash cream if you have a tube from early breastfeeding. It works really well and is safe on cloth diapers!
#183 of 197 Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 PM

Free reusable wipes: use washcloths with warm water and only for poopy diapers. Or cut up receiving blankets or old flannel pajamas.
incorrigible likes this.
#184 of 197 Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 PM

Free reusable wipes: use washcloths with warm water and only for poopy diapers. Or cut up receiving blankets or old flannel pajamas.
#185 of 197 Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 PM

You're welcome tinyhousemama! 

I was worried that feeding shells would cause them to eat their own eggs but it hasn't.

We make sure that the shells are cleaned out well when we use the eggs.

Leave them all in an open bowl on the counter.

When we have enough, I grind them in the food processor, but crushing in a bag would work just as well.

Found that some of the hens were being picky and refusing to eat them, so we sprinkle some in their feed once in a while in addition to leaving a bowl out.

#186 of 197 Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 AM

Liked on FB and shared on Pinterest! Yay!

#187 of 197 Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I use reusable napkins, don't use paper plates,hand me downs for kids (I alter the clothes as necessary), If I can make it / grow it at home I do.  Make my own apple sauce ...etc

incorrigible likes this.

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#188 of 197 Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 PM

My best tip is to get pregnant right after a friend or relative has a baby.  Ha!

Seriously, accept lots of hand-me-downs.  Especially for baby gear, like swings and bouncers, which most children only appreciate for a short time, if at all.  Anything that can possibly be outgrown can be handed down in good condition, so let people know what you don't have and keep your ears open.  By postponing purchases as long as possible, we've gotten all sorts of free stuff, from cribs to coats.

#189 of 197 Old 02-05-2013, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My tip is to try to minimize the use of your car if you can. I have been transporting my two children in a bike trailer, on a half wheeler, and in a kid's bike seat when the weather isn't inclement. I get exercise (no more gym membership) and we still get to where we need to go. Gas is so expensive, we save about $60 a week doing this. Plus, the children have fun! DH does it as well.

lilacvioletiris likes this.
#190 of 197 Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Save the ends of your bread, set them on your counter to get "stale" and crush into bread crumbs.   My DH and DS eat sandwiches almost every day, so we get lots of ends!  I haven't bought bread crumbs in months.   

*bonus if you make your own bread!*

Vinegar and baking soda will clean everything in your house.   Don't waste your money buying toxic cleaners for bathrooms, kitchens, floors, windows....etc.   Vinegar is cheap and works well!

incorrigible likes this.

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#191 of 197 Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 PM

The best way I know how to be frugal is to find new uses for the things in our home. We use cloth napkins- which can also be used in place of paper towels. We use cloth diapers - the inserts can be used as menstrual pads, general cleaning cloths, etc. The cloth baby wipes we use can also be used to gently wipe runny noses when one of our little boys is sick. We save all of the end pieces of our loaves of whole wheat bread to make our own bread crumbs. My husband just used scrap wood from his last construction job to make a compost bin and a desk for us. Vegetable and/or meat (chicken/beef/turkey) scraps are always saved to make homemade stocks.Let nothing go to waste! Teach your kids to value what they have and to be creative and resourceful in use- and re-use! - of everything in the home!
incorrigible likes this.
#192 of 197 Old 02-05-2013, 05:32 PM

My frugal tip:  Get rid of your gym membership and hit the trails! Everybody gets fresh air, sunshine, quality family time, and exercise! (even the dogs!) Don't forget your reusable water bottle! 

#193 of 197 Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 PM

Shared and Liked.

My frugal tip would be to never leave home without healthy snacks and drinks. My daughter has been wearing a little backpack since she was 2 years old. Inside is a change of clothes, a toy or two and snacks.  If a little trip outside the home has taken longer then expected. I can avoid buying food that is unhealthy and expensive. It has saved me quite a bit over the years. 

Thank- you!

#194 of 197 Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 PM

My second tip is to hang your launrdy to dry in the sun. The sun helps to keep your whites white and you save on your hydro bill. Plus there is nothing like the smell of line dried sheets.

incorrigible likes this.
#195 of 197 Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Thank you all for the great frugal tips! This contest is now closed to entries. Voting by thumbs up for your favorite posts will be open until midnight Pacific Time February 7th. Winners will be determined thereafter and announced on Monday, February 9th so spread the word and invite people to vote. Good luck!

#196 of 197 Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

It was really difficult for our editorial team to agree on the winners because we had a lot of really great tips and some with fabulous pics too! But taking the votes, participation, pictures, and the posted tips into consideration we finally have winners! The are:

Annie Thibodeau

cbwilke

pbjmama

Congratulations and thank you all for the great tips! thumb.gif

#197 of 197 Old 03-01-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

As one winner has not responded to PM and email she forfeits her prize. 

fmorris28

Congratulations!! Check your Inbox! biggrinbounce.gif

Closed Thread

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page