Ideas for make ahead, highly nutritious, cheap breakfasts... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Breakfast is the worst meal for me, it is so tempting to go spend $5 on donuts when faced with cooking at 6 am.

I already make triple batches of steel cut oats and store in quart sized jars in the fridge.
I can make muffins/pancakes and freeze them.

Any other good ideas?

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#2 of 28 Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mini cheese/egg/meat/veggie whatever soufflés that you bake in muffin tins then freeze!

I hear you big time on the cheap breakfast out! When I have to get out the door early it's sooo tempting to swing through the drive through.
#3 of 28 Old 01-26-2013, 02:04 PM

I used to eat lactation bars for breakfast, too. Very filling and nutritious whether you're lactating or not.
#4 of 28 Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM

I've been making these and you can sub in different things to make them cheaper.  They are super yummy and my kids love them!  http://www.theyummylife.com/Oatmeal_Smoothies

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#5 of 28 Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lots of cultures eat the same breakfast as their other meals.  I usually eat leftovers for breakfast.  It's cheap, easy and you don't need to cook it.  Just make bigger batches of food the night before.  I just had a chicken leg, some beans and slice of sourdough bread with butter for breakfast today.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#6 of 28 Old 01-26-2013, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I'm an EXPERT at this.  I feed 7 children every single morning before getting them dressed, hair done, and out the door to the bus stops and one driven to school.  It's a LOT of work feeding 7 hungry school-age kids on a budget without wanting to slit your wrists.  

http://www.anotherlunch.com/2010/05/recipe-chocolate-chip-granola-bites.html

I leave the chocolate chips in but cut the brown sugar by half and add flax seed.  I suppose you could add things like sunflower seeds, roughly chopped almonds, shredded coconut, dried fruits and omit chocolate chips for a breakfast granola bar.  But these are our base recipe for granola bars for lunches and snacks.  They are a GREAT breakfast on the go when I'm too tired to do much.  I keep homemade yogurt in jelly jars(the mason jar ones) in my fridge already preportioned and grab one of those, a spoon, a granola bar, and my coffee and I'm out the door.  I never remember to eat until I'm halfway to wherever I'm going so if I don't make it a point to have stuff already portioned out to just grab, I won't eat at all.  Oh and I DO use silicone muffin liners.  I like it WAY better than putting them in the muffin tin to cook becaus ethe silicone liner keeps them soft and chewy like storebought.  I found mine at goodwill and the dollar store but I'm sure you could find a more pricey version at a cooking store or on amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Supply-2373-8-Inch-Silicone/dp/B001ET7B9Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1359258761&sr=8-4&keywords=silicone+muffin+liners

Oh and a friend came over tonight just after I had finished making our granola bars for the week's lunches and she wanted to try one.  She ended up eating that one, then another, and begging for take a third home.  winky.gif  And she's a very mainstream, standard american diet picky eater.  These are GOOOOOOOOOOD.

Also,  try these: http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007/03/and-end-to-my-quest-flour-tortillas.html or storebought if that's not really your thing and stuff them with breakfast-y type stuff.  Make a breakfast burrito and freeze a whole bunch.  You can stuff them with eggs, meat of your choice if you desire, salsa, cheese, beans, etc.  Whatever you want.  Make big batches and freeze individually in saran wrap to nuke in the microwave at work or just take out of the fridge and let it thaw for eating later on when you have a moment.  

I don't have a fancy recipe but recently I ran out of most normal foods in the house and scrounged in the cupboards and freezer and came up with a package of ham(nitrate free organic gotten free from my local natural foods store on it's expiration date and so I froze it to use later), a few handfuls of shredded frozen cheddar, and a box of corn muffin mix.  Whipped it up, chucked in the ham and cheese, baked until golden, and served with applesauce.  The kids were ecstatic.  They polished off every crumb and a week later asked me when we would be having ham and cheese muffins again.  luxlove.gif  If you aren't me and don't have an army to feed in the mornings, I bet these would freeze well and be a great little change-up to your typical muffin routine.  Muffins are just so easy to eat while cruising down the highway to work.  Perfect commuter work.

I don't know if you have a waffle-maker but I love mine.  I begged for YEARS for one and finally got one for christmas last year.  I make a triple batch of  these: http://www.holycowvegan.net/2007/11/no-egg-o-waffles.html and serve with butter and syrup the first morning and freeze the rest for individual use later.  On a rushed morning, take out the waffle when you pour yourself some coffee, smear with peanut butter and throw on a plate.  Go shower and get ready and your waffle should be thawed and delicious when you are done.  Instead of a piece of toast, that's our go-to when running out the door to the bus stop and someone hasn't eaten.  Throw on a handful of dried fruit or put a small container of dried fruit in your purse and it should hold you for hours.  I don't like most storebought waffles for lack of nutritional value and HUGE cost but I'm sure you could find a great recipe online if you don't need a vegan choice like I posted above.

For this one, I don't have a recipe typed out but I found it on pinterest recently and forgot to bookmark.  Egg and cheese sandwiches.  Crack one egg for each sandwich you want to make.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Drop each into a muffin tin and bake at 350 until set and cooked through(they will start to JUST brown at the edges that contact the pan).  While cooking them, lay out either mini bagels or english muffins or toast on a baking sheet for each sandwich.  When toasted, add a slice of cheese of your preference to each.  Add the cooked egg "muffin" to each sandwich and enjoy.  Again, they freeze nicely wrapped individually and either nuke in the microwave quickly or you can just take from the freezer the night before to thaw in the fridge or just take out that morning to thaw in the car on the way to work.

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/  These are sinfully amazing.  I make a double batch and freeze.  They aren't kid-breakfast material but they'd go along nicely for a morning snack or with a yogurt or something.  I have an underweight kid that I'm trying to fatten up and I send her iwth things like this to school to leave in her locker in case she needs to pop something in her mouth quickly between classes.  I omit the chocolate chips and use sunflower seeds or chopped almonds instead.  I figure she needs extra fat, protein, and calories, not extra sugar.  Make them smaller than a quarter in diameter to just pop in your mouth while driving.  No mess, easily finger foods.

Hope some of this helps.  I try to keep breakfast as the one meal where I don't have to sit there in front of the stove cooking.  I like easy to prepare ahead of time stuff or things that go in the crockpot overnight.  With 7 children to care for in the mornings(starting at 5:30am), who has the time to make eggs and toast and fruit or french toast or whatever?  I need something that takes 5 minutes of prep or less and can be eaten while walking to the bus stop.  I like food that doesn't require packing up with ice packs, utensils, or heating up.  This list has worked for me for a while in addition to our various muffins, french toast casseroles, steel cut oats overnight in the crockpot, etc.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#7 of 28 Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Basically breakfasts at my house are oatmeal, homemade granola with milk, fruit (often a banana), and a glass of milk.  Don't really buy cereal anymore.  Brown rice with traditional oatmeal toppings such as butter and a bit of sugar or even maple syrup or cinnamon is pretty good too, especially if you have leftovers.  Toast with home canned jam is also good, or a whole wheat roll (sometimes purchased in the day old bin) with an egg and cheese is also good and quick.  I buy bread rather than making it: ezekial cinnamon raisin bread is fantastic but not exactly cheap even at trader joes.  But it has more protein and fiber than box cereals and less salt.  Otherwise I buy sprouted grain breads at Trader joes.  A piece of whole wheat bread toasted with almond or peanut butter is also really good.  I second the suggestion to make waffles ahead and freeze them.  They are very cheap to make, and if you cool them on a cooling rack before you freeze them, you can pull out one or two and throw them in a toaster oven. 

#8 of 28 Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Eggs are high in protein and relatively cheap.  My kids like them scrambled, boiled, fried, etc.  Scrambled or hard-boiled eggs can be made the night before and kept in the fridge.  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#9 of 28 Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM

Those are great ideas from JustMama.  I second the breakfast burritos.  I also like to stuff tortillas with spinach, egg and feta.  I'm intrigued by the ham/cheese/corn muffin too.

#10 of 28 Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

I've been making these and you can sub in different things to make them cheaper.  They are super yummy and my kids love them!  http://www.theyummylife.com/Oatmeal_Smoothies

Oh those look yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

Lots of cultures eat the same breakfast as their other meals.  I usually eat leftovers for breakfast.  It's cheap, easy and you don't need to cook it.  Just make bigger batches of food the night before.  I just had a chicken leg, some beans and slice of sourdough bread with butter for breakfast today.

That's a good idea too, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

I'm an EXPERT at this.  I feed 7 children every single morning before getting them dressed, hair done, and out the door to the bus stops and one driven to school.  It's a LOT of work feeding 7 hungry school-age kids on a budget without wanting to slit your wrists.  

http://www.anotherlunch.com/2010/05/recipe-chocolate-chip-granola-bites.html

I leave the chocolate chips in but cut the brown sugar by half and add flax seed.  I suppose you could add things like sunflower seeds, roughly chopped almonds, shredded coconut, dried fruits and omit chocolate chips for a breakfast granola bar.  But these are our base recipe for granola bars for lunches and snacks.  They are a GREAT breakfast on the go when I'm too tired to do much.  I keep homemade yogurt in jelly jars(the mason jar ones) in my fridge already preportioned and grab one of those, a spoon, a granola bar, and my coffee and I'm out the door.  I never remember to eat until I'm halfway to wherever I'm going so if I don't make it a point to have stuff already portioned out to just grab, I won't eat at all.  Oh and I DO use silicone muffin liners.  I like it WAY better than putting them in the muffin tin to cook becaus ethe silicone liner keeps them soft and chewy like storebought.  I found mine at goodwill and the dollar store but I'm sure you could find a more pricey version at a cooking store or on amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Supply-2373-8-Inch-Silicone/dp/B001ET7B9Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1359258761&sr=8-4&keywords=silicone+muffin+liners

Oh and a friend came over tonight just after I had finished making our granola bars for the week's lunches and she wanted to try one.  She ended up eating that one, then another, and begging for take a third home.  winky.gif  And she's a very mainstream, standard american diet picky eater.  These are GOOOOOOOOOOD.

Also,  try these: http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007/03/and-end-to-my-quest-flour-tortillas.html or storebought if that's not really your thing and stuff them with breakfast-y type stuff.  Make a breakfast burrito and freeze a whole bunch.  You can stuff them with eggs, meat of your choice if you desire, salsa, cheese, beans, etc.  Whatever you want.  Make big batches and freeze individually in saran wrap to nuke in the microwave at work or just take out of the fridge and let it thaw for eating later on when you have a moment.  

I don't have a fancy recipe but recently I ran out of most normal foods in the house and scrounged in the cupboards and freezer and came up with a package of ham(nitrate free organic gotten free from my local natural foods store on it's expiration date and so I froze it to use later), a few handfuls of shredded frozen cheddar, and a box of corn muffin mix.  Whipped it up, chucked in the ham and cheese, baked until golden, and served with applesauce.  The kids were ecstatic.  They polished off every crumb and a week later asked me when we would be having ham and cheese muffins again.  luxlove.gif  If you aren't me and don't have an army to feed in the mornings, I bet these would freeze well and be a great little change-up to your typical muffin routine.  Muffins are just so easy to eat while cruising down the highway to work.  Perfect commuter work.

I don't know if you have a waffle-maker but I love mine.  I begged for YEARS for one and finally got one for christmas last year.  I make a triple batch of  these: http://www.holycowvegan.net/2007/11/no-egg-o-waffles.html and serve with butter and syrup the first morning and freeze the rest for individual use later.  On a rushed morning, take out the waffle when you pour yourself some coffee, smear with peanut butter and throw on a plate.  Go shower and get ready and your waffle should be thawed and delicious when you are done.  Instead of a piece of toast, that's our go-to when running out the door to the bus stop and someone hasn't eaten.  Throw on a handful of dried fruit or put a small container of dried fruit in your purse and it should hold you for hours.  I don't like most storebought waffles for lack of nutritional value and HUGE cost but I'm sure you could find a great recipe online if you don't need a vegan choice like I posted above.

For this one, I don't have a recipe typed out but I found it on pinterest recently and forgot to bookmark.  Egg and cheese sandwiches.  Crack one egg for each sandwich you want to make.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Drop each into a muffin tin and bake at 350 until set and cooked through(they will start to JUST brown at the edges that contact the pan).  While cooking them, lay out either mini bagels or english muffins or toast on a baking sheet for each sandwich.  When toasted, add a slice of cheese of your preference to each.  Add the cooked egg "muffin" to each sandwich and enjoy.  Again, they freeze nicely wrapped individually and either nuke in the microwave quickly or you can just take from the freezer the night before to thaw in the fridge or just take out that morning to thaw in the car on the way to work.

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/  These are sinfully amazing.  I make a double batch and freeze.  They aren't kid-breakfast material but they'd go along nicely for a morning snack or with a yogurt or something.  I have an underweight kid that I'm trying to fatten up and I send her iwth things like this to school to leave in her locker in case she needs to pop something in her mouth quickly between classes.  I omit the chocolate chips and use sunflower seeds or chopped almonds instead.  I figure she needs extra fat, protein, and calories, not extra sugar.  Make them smaller than a quarter in diameter to just pop in your mouth while driving.  No mess, easily finger foods.

Hope some of this helps.  I try to keep breakfast as the one meal where I don't have to sit there in front of the stove cooking.  I like easy to prepare ahead of time stuff or things that go in the crockpot overnight.  With 7 children to care for in the mornings(starting at 5:30am), who has the time to make eggs and toast and fruit or french toast or whatever?  I need something that takes 5 minutes of prep or less and can be eaten while walking to the bus stop.  I like food that doesn't require packing up with ice packs, utensils, or heating up.  This list has worked for me for a while in addition to our various muffins, french toast casseroles, steel cut oats overnight in the crockpot, etc.

Awesome post, thanks so much I'm making some of those for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post

Basically breakfasts at my house are oatmeal, homemade granola with milk, fruit (often a banana), and a glass of milk.  Don't really buy cereal anymore.  Brown rice with traditional oatmeal toppings such as butter and a bit of sugar or even maple syrup or cinnamon is pretty good too, especially if you have leftovers.  Toast with home canned jam is also good, or a whole wheat roll (sometimes purchased in the day old bin) with an egg and cheese is also good and quick.  I buy bread rather than making it: ezekial cinnamon raisin bread is fantastic but not exactly cheap even at trader joes.  But it has more protein and fiber than box cereals and less salt.  Otherwise I buy sprouted grain breads at Trader joes.  A piece of whole wheat bread toasted with almond or peanut butter is also really good.  I second the suggestion to make waffles ahead and freeze them.  They are very cheap to make, and if you cool them on a cooling rack before you freeze them, you can pull out one or two and throw them in a toaster oven. 

Thanks!

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#11 of 28 Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone I got lots of good ideas!

#12 of 28 Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM

We do a lot of eggs or muffins for breakfast here. They're both pretty cheap and easy to make. 

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#13 of 28 Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 AM

I'll triple something and freeze or plop in the fridge for later.  Earlier this week I made 3 loaves of french toast to cut up into sticks and freeze - and since *I* made them, I could go heavy on the egg.  :D
Muffins and sausage (cook a ton of sausage early in the week, then just quickly reheat morning of), frozen waffles or other muffins (sour cream or yogurt banana chocolate chip, chocolate zucchini, lemon blueberry, lemon poppyseed, whatever).  French toast (sticks).  English muffin toastie things from Pioneer Woman.  Oatmeal.  I've seen overnight crockpot oatmeal recipes.  Smoothies.  Yogurt and crunch (in other houses, it's known as granola).  Homemade McMuffins (I've made them with homemade biscuits or store bought mini-croissants, whatever works).  Toast and bacon.  Toad in a hole (well, that you do day of, no real prepping that beforehand).  I've also made egg muffins (basically whatever egg casserole floats your boat, in paper muffin cups for easy reheating) and hashbrown cups (ours include hashbrowns, eggs, cheese, ham or bacon or whatever, dash of salt - also baked in muffin papers for easy reheating/portioning).  Breakfast cookies - paleo cookie recipes seem to work super well for this purpose - just not on an everyday basis.  Homemade uncrustables - PBJ if you want, but I know some folks use scrambled eggs/cheese and toast those suckers in the morning. 

I mostly have to have stuff like this on hand because I am *so* not a morning person.  Not. one. bit.  Yet the kids are up at 8am (I'd be good with 11am).
Oh, one tip for the egg mcmuffin/croissant stuff if you go that route?  Just bake the eggs as a casserole, and use a cookie cutter or knife for your shapes.  So, so, so much easier than trying to use rings on the griddle or perfectly greasing muffin tins.

Another one, when going on a muffin baking spree?  I just don't have 15 muffin tins.  But I have canning rings and big baking sheets.  I pull out my big cookie/baking sheets, plop down as many regular-mouth canning rings as I can on them, put the muffin papers in the rings, and voila.  90 muffins in an afternoon.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#14 of 28 Old 01-29-2013, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Another one, when going on a muffin baking spree?  I just don't have 15 muffin tins.  But I have canning rings and big baking sheets.  I pull out my big cookie/baking sheets, plop down as many regular-mouth canning rings as I can on them, put the muffin papers in the rings, and voila.  90 muffins in an afternoon.

That's an AMAZING tip.  I'm gonna have to try that out!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#15 of 28 Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 AM

I am not a morning person at all either. 

When I'm feeling motivated I make egg, bacon and cheese sandwiches on English muffins.  I wrap each sandwich in wax paper, so they're easy to store and microwave in the morning.

I often will hard boil eggs in the evening, and just keep a carton of hardboiled eggs in the fridge, so they're easy to grab and go in the morning.

Otherwise, breakfast is usually just fruit, cheese, and maybe toast.  We keep things pretty simple around here.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#16 of 28 Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM

I really like the make ahead breakfast sandwiches on english muffins!  My husband would LOVE those for breakfast a work!

mother, wife, lover of life.
#17 of 28 Old 02-03-2013, 06:33 PM

I make double or triple batches of homemade waffles with lots of extra milk powder, wheat germ, blueberries.  I cool them completely then freeze them and they are just as easy as store bought frozen waffles in the morning but so much better and I know what goes into them.  DS loves these, as do DH and myself!  

#18 of 28 Old 02-03-2013, 07:02 PM

We try to avoid sugars and high carb items in the mornings as they tend to throw off our blood sugar all day. 

So, the standard is like once every week or two I premake what we call Omelet Muffins. I chop up a variety of vegetables in a huge bowl. Add a dozen eggs and some pepper. It turns out a little salty even without adding salt, so just pepper. Then I use a single piece of thin cut bacon in each of 2 dozen muffin cups. That forms the outside of the cup. I poor in the egg/veggie mixture. Bake on 350 for about 20 minutes and let cool. Then I put them in the freezer, still in the muffin tins. Once frozen, I put them all into a big freezer bag together. Everyone just nukes themselves one or two for breakfast each morning. There's only 1 slice of bacon and 1/2 an egg per cup...the rest is vegetables. And everyone always loves it, no matter what weird veggies I use. =D

When we sit down together, I also usually serve a little fruit and cream with breakfast. Like once per week, I whip up some cream (really whipped hard so it will stay whipped all week, and it stretches much further). I don't add anything. No sugar, nothing. A spoonful of that in a quarter to a half cup of berries or some other soft fruit chopped small is heaven. And you're only eating like half a tablespoon of cream, at most, because it's mostly air at that point. The fruit has all the sweet and sugar. A favorite is that with chopped bananas and a little unsweetened cocoa powder sprinkled on top. Super quick and easy, and my family feels like they are eating like kings. ;) If the kids served this themselves, though, they'd probably eat so much they'd make themselves sick. lol

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#19 of 28 Old 02-05-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

We try to avoid sugars and high carb items in the mornings as they tend to throw off our blood sugar all day. 

So, the standard is like once every week or two I premake what we call Omelet Muffins. I chop up a variety of vegetables in a huge bowl. Add a dozen eggs and some pepper. It turns out a little salty even without adding salt, so just pepper. Then I use a single piece of thin cut bacon in each of 2 dozen muffin cups. That forms the outside of the cup. I poor in the egg/veggie mixture. Bake on 350 for about 20 minutes and let cool. Then I put them in the freezer, still in the muffin tins. Once frozen, I put them all into a big freezer bag together. Everyone just nukes themselves one or two for breakfast each morning. There's only 1 slice of bacon and 1/2 an egg per cup...the rest is vegetables. And everyone always loves it, no matter what weird veggies I use. =D

This sounds amazing!!  I will have to try it :)

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#20 of 28 Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

That's an AMAZING tip.  I'm gonna have to try that out!

yeahthat.gif

Since The Hubby has Type I diabetes we tend to shy away from carb-laden foods.  I found this Paleo muffin recipe.  That was really good.  I made it cheaper by grinding my own nut flours and using some cheaper seeds (like sunflower) for a portion of the flour.  Whipping the egg white before folding them into the batter really helped to lighten the muffins.  It also baked well in mini-loaf pans.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#21 of 28 Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I used to eat lactation bars for breakfast, too. Very filling and nutritious whether you're lactating or not.
What are those?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#22 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

That sounds SOO yummy! How do you put the bacon in the muffin cup? Do you cut the bacon and layer it to form a crust?

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#23 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 PM

I just take a slice and kind of lay it around the outside, then across the bottom. I'm far too lazy to cut it or do anything special to it. lol It fits a little awkwardly, but when you add the egg mixture, the bacon kind of stretches out to all the edges of the cup. When it's cooked, it all holds together solidly, like a cupcake.

The original recipe that inspired this was the same bacon cup but the filling was a bottom layer of canned or frozen spinach, then a layer of sausage, then an egg cracked on top. The yoke was left unbroken and it was baked until the white was cooked, but the yoke still runny. The bit with the egg sounds good, but we need more veggies in our diets, not more eggs. lol

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#24 of 28 Old 02-21-2013, 02:59 AM

Depends on what your definition of healthy is... but this is what I'm okay with eating:

Spelt bread toast with maple syrup or toffee sauce, cinnamon and sliced banana.

Omelettes or scrambled eggs (IDK the difference) with eggs & milk or eggs & cheese

fruit/nut bars (make them yourself with much less sugar good ones on pininterest oat bars are usually most palatable and also they make good snacks and are a good way to get more nuts/seeds in diet)

Peanut butter and a tiny bit of jam on spelt bread

porridge

yogurt

smoothies (this saves a lot of time/money because you can just buy cheap ripe fruit, smoothie it, freeze it and use it when you need. http://stolenmomentscooking.com/smoothie-cubes/)

#25 of 28 Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oatmeal, cereal, eggs, and firefly gruel are staples at my house.
I have two eggs each morning, microwave poached with Italian seasoning, sheep's cheese and butter. I have a problem with getting super hungry midmorning and the high fat and protein helps.
The oatmeal is rolled oats lightly cooked (we like a bit of crunch left in it) with muscovado sugar or maple syrup and a bit of milk. The kids love it.
We sometimes make up extra big batches of pancakes on the weekends and freeze them for super quick pancakes during the week.

Firefly gruel is wheatberries, barley and rice cooked together (crockpot works well) in about equal amounts. Its good with butter and salt, butter and sweetening, or as a base (like rice or pasta) for other foods.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#26 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 AM

Wow! These are *great* ideas! Thanks for sharing, everyone :)

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#27 of 28 Old 03-09-2013, 06:08 AM

They aren't exactly make-ahead, but green smoothies are the perfect breakfast food for me. They are super fast, nutritious, and portable. My son eats homemade raisin bread toast and fruit for breakfast pretty much every day or oatmeal mixed with applesauce, cinnamon and raisins. Leftover soup is good too. And you can always make pancakes or waffles or muffins or bread on the weekend and keep them in the freezer for quick breakfasts. I make whole wheat raisin bread once a week, and slice it up and then freeze it so it's there for toasting anytime.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#28 of 28 Old 03-09-2013, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

We eat "cold cuts" for breakfast. We eat low-carb.

Cold roast beef or liverwurst or tuna salad, cheese, raw egg yolk or hard boiled egg, mustard, herbs...

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page