Is there such a thing as being too tight? **UPDATED** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had a conversation with a family member tonight and I haven't been able to put it to rest in my mind. The conversation began with me mentioning that I told DH we would not be getting an air conditioner unit installed, until I could save up the cash for it.

When she (the family member) asked me why, I laid our debts out in front of her and explained that I felt overwhelmed and wanted to pay them off as quickly as possible. I simply did not want to add any more debts to our pile at this stage. She smiled at me and said 'yes, but this debt isn't a want anymore, it's a need'.

Usually, I don't think twice when told by most people what they qualify a need or want as.. but I did this time for one reason - This particular person that I was having a conversation with is super frugal and has been for decades. I've never known her to spend carelessly in any department and I believe she has a strong sense of need versus want. She is probably the most frugal person I will ever know. And it made me think. And I wondered.. "could I really just have become such a tightass that I can't even see what's necessary in life anymore?"

So I'm asking for opinions.. Tell me what you honestly think (I won't be offended).

Here are the details:

-The air conditioning unit will cost us 4,500.

-We live in an area that hits 100-113 farenheit on some summer days with very high humidity. Our house has poor (read: no) insulation and I have four little ones (including an infant) at home.

-Summer officially ends in 4 weeks, but as we don't have typical seasons, it may not mean very much in the end.

-I suffer from heat induced migraines but have just been 'putting up' and making do with keeping cold rags on my head, splashing water on my face regularly and literally sitting in front of the fan all day.

What are your thoughts? Would you have continued to wait it out if you were living in those conditions for 3 long months (and in that financial situation)? Did I really do my family a disservice here? I thought keeping my family free of debt was 'serving them well', but now I'm not so sure I made the right choice... All input is appreciated.

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#2 of 33 Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wouldn't have gone without it, personally. But why is it so expensive? Is it central air?

I guess I might have considered something less costly as a stopgap measure for a summer or two, like one or two window Acs, maybe even used for less cost. In my experience, those are a few hundred rather than a few thousand, plus increased electric, but not thousands worth. That way a few rooms could be cooled and you spend most of the time in those rooms in the summer. 

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#3 of 33 Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If you still have a lot of high temps even when "summer" is over, then yeah, I'd get the AC.  (You may also want to save up for insulation.)  Is your non-mortgage debt all credit cards, or does it include a car?  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#4 of 33 Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input smile.gif

The air con is not central air, but two small-medium sized units (one for the front of the house and one for the back to adequately cover all rooms) + installation fee (mandatory, not allowed to install your own air con). We need two units due to the odd shape of our home. I thought about getting one unit now and one later, but with two we get a discount of $1500 for the units alone + paying one installation fee instead of two.

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#5 of 33 Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I guess I could go either way on this one. Besides your migraines does anybody else in your family seem to be suffering from the heat? I don't think 3 months is very long to have to save up if you feel like you could personally handle it. I would agree with a PP and maybe get a window style AC if it wold make any difference in the short term situation.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#6 of 33 Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 PM

I don't really get why it's so expensive. Are there no window units where you live? Here you can get a window unit for under $100 and you basically just stick it in the window and plug it in so I don't know what "installation" would entail. If there's something like that available, I'd go with that, and with only 800sqft you could get away with just ~2 units to cool the house, or 1 unit to have a cool room to escape to.

Ex: http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FRA052XT7-000-BTU-Window-Conditioner/dp/B003F4TH6G/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1359321575&sr=1-17&keywords=air+conditioner

It sounds like some form of A/C would be a need for you. I cannot imagine spending $4500 on A/C (PLUS the increase in electrical costs from it!) but I also can't imagine dealing with 113F weather and feeling sick constantly (I would too, with those temps!)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 33 Old 01-27-2013, 03:16 PM

I might look for a temporary fix for the time being...or maybe if your summer is almost over AC prices will go down and make it worth while to invest now for next season?

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#8 of 33 Old 01-27-2013, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm torn, I know most people would say buy a new one on credit. For me, I'd make us suffer until we could afford it. ;)

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#9 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 AM

You didn't say which country you're in.  That might affect what choices are available.  And the $ amount is not USD, right?  Here a portable A/C cost a few hundred dollars and can easily cover a few hundred sqft.  Although they are pretty loud, but then window A/C are pretty loud, too.  For that kind of temp I think cooling IS a need, but I'd look for some cheaper options first.  Get a few different quotes at least and compare.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#10 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

I don't really get why it's so expensive. Are there no window units where you live? Here you can get a window unit for under $100 and you basically just stick it in the window and plug it in so I don't know what "installation" would entail. If there's something like that available, I'd go with that, and with only 800sqft you could get away with just ~2 units to cool the house, or 1 unit to have a cool room to escape to.

Ex: http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FRA052XT7-000-BTU-Window-Conditioner/dp/B003F4TH6G/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1359321575&sr=1-17&keywords=air+conditioner

It sounds like some form of A/C would be a need for you. I cannot imagine spending $4500 on A/C (PLUS the increase in electrical costs from it!) but I also can't imagine dealing with 113F weather and feeling sick constantly (I would too, with those temps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

You didn't say which country you're in.  That might affect what choices are available.  And the $ amount is not USD, right?  Here a portable A/C cost a few hundred dollars and can easily cover a few hundred sqft.  Although they are pretty loud, but then window A/C are pretty loud, too.  For that kind of temp I think cooling IS a need, but I'd look for some cheaper options first.  Get a few different quotes at least and compare.

Crunchy_mommy and Poddi, I'm in Australia - Land of everything-costs-a-whole-bloody-lot lol.gif Yes, the portable/window air con is around $500AUD here for a cheap unit. Since our dollar is on par with the USD, it's the equivalent of spending $500USD. We actually have one.. We stopped using it because it did jack all, except give us a much higher electricity bill. The most it would lower the temp in our open plan but not very large area, was 4-5 degrees lower than outside (we measured) and the amount of electricity it used for that privilege, was phenomenal. Despite the fact that it was meant to cover 500sq ft, there was no way in heck that it was. It could keep one small bedroom comfortable and that's about it. I tried to restrict the 5 of us to staying in a cool bedroom all day, but it didn't quite work out (especially when the babe had to nap and the toddler wanted to jump around and scream). So I gave up and turned it off. A powerful fan did a better job at keeping the sweat at bay and coupled with cold washcloths, it wasn't too shabby on a 110 day. You're right, they are pretty loud Poddi.. ours was like having a truck running in the lounge room. I'm going to list it for sale soon. Some people seem to like them so it will probably sell.

The two units we are looking at installing are far more energy efficient (full 5 star rating), it's just the upfront cost that is hideous. We're going to ask around for some more quotes. The installation fee is non negotiable though.. If the air con is not installed professionally, we void our warranty. I'm sure it will be a worthwile investment in the end, I'm just not too gung ho about going into debt for it right now. 

I'm still not sure about when we will make the purchase though.. Dh asked me again and the most I could do was shrug. 2whistle.gif

#11 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

First off, let me offer hug2.gif because migraines suck.  And no one deserves to have to deal with them.  I'd try to avoid them any way I could.  But if it meant putting myself into debt, that wouldn't be smething I would even consider.  I actually don't even own a credit card but I wouldn't consider getting one to be able to spend outside my means.  I think we work within our budget, save for larger purchases, and buy when we have the money in hand.  I don't really understand credit.  It makes no sense to me to buy something on credit to have the instant gratification when you can wait a little bit and NOT have to pay interest.  I DO understand when it's an absolute necessity that you cannot afford and it would otherwise negatively impact your life such as a car repair or a medical bill that you have no way to push off any further or such.  You seem to know what sets off your migraines so I'll assume you visited your doctor and got diagnosed and have discussed the pro's and con's of meds, alternative treatments/therapies, and other options available to you.  You've decided that you aren't capable of spending the hottest days at the library or at the local pool/lake/whatever and that you truly NEED this for your home.  <-----that would be my process of thought if I were afflicted.  And in that case, i think I would continue to save up my money as long as humanly possible to afford this air conditioner/installation even if it meant another summer of suffering.  If my condition became absolutely debilitating, I would then speak with my partner seriously about the need for change.  But if I was able to function I would really try to avoid credit cards.

Good luck.  It sucks not to have A/C.  It sucks not to be able to afford the things that will make your life more livable.  

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#12 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Exactly! I thought if I can pull through and still deal, then surely the rest of us can? I think I have a case of the parental guilts. The air conditioner won't be on CC.. It will be on 0% interest (for 36 months) finance but I just hate the thought of owing more money.. when we could save and pay for it outright. The guy leaves upon finishing installation and we pay. Presto! It's ours. Soooo easy. I mean, the mere thought of the current debts are causing enough stress for me. I thought I had my mind made up, but conversations like the one yesterday always throw me in for a loop.. Back at square one. We will have enough saved by next summer fingers, toes and eyelashes crossed. I have a little bit of money in our EF that I could put towards the air conditioner but it's our EF! This is not an emergency (at least in my mind)!

Thank you for the hugs smile.gif

#13 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 AM

[quote name="LoveOurBabies" url="-I suffer from heat induced migraines but have just been 'putting up' and making do with keeping cold rags on my head, splashing water on my face regularly and literally sitting in front of the fan all day.

I would buy that A/C so quick. No way would I sit in front of a fan all day. I consider my time and productivity equal to money, so that lost productivity would drive me straight to the A/C. Also, I would not jeopardize my health. If I was getting heat induced migraines, I would take that as a sign that the heat was unhealthy for me.

I take care of myself (and my comfort) first, so that I have to give to my family.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#14 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

I would buy that A/C so quick. No way would I sit in front of a fan all day. I consider my time and productivity equal to money, so that lost productivity would drive me straight to the A/C. Also, I would not jeopardize my health. If I was getting heat induced migraines, I would take that as a sign that the heat was unhealthy for me.

I take care of myself (and my comfort) first, so that I have to give to my family.

I agree with this in hind sight :)  Last summer here was over 100F all the time.  I was due with my last baby and thought that I could survive it too.  All I did was sit in front of a fan or drive around to be in the AC in my Tahoe- which wasn't cheap either.  Finally I could NOT take it a second longer and we put in a window unit (which was cheap) in our bedroom and finally at 43 weeks I was able to relax and go into labor.  The baby and I spent a lot of time in the bedroom where it was cool for the rest of the summer.  We didn't do a thing other than suffer before that stupid AC was installed.  My kids were crabby I felt ready to die and there was no break from the horrid heat.  Girl- I am cheap.  Super cheap.  My cheapness made us all suffer for months!  I am anti-debt- but really you just need to do it!  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#15 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Girl- I am cheap.  Super cheap.  My cheapness made us all suffer for months!  I am anti-debt- but really you just need to do it!  

ROTFLMAO.gif I don't know why but this last line just cracked me up!! I'm sooo cheap too. I swear I'm starting to think it's becoming a sickness of mine. Everyday I've got a new 'how low can you go' challenge. I'm wondering what the final straw will be. I'm now officially the mean mommy who declared war on ice cream for the summer. rolleyes.gif And OMG @ 43 weeks... bow2.gif I was ready to evict this last babe at 2 days overdue.

#16 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your sharing your thoughts and advice.. Even though I haven't responded to every reply, I'm mentally jotting it all down for my big think over (dh is still waiting on a response). All the responses are very appreciated. love.gif

#17 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

[quote name="LoveOurBabies" url="-I suffer from heat induced migraines but have just been 'putting up' and making do with keeping cold rags on my head, splashing water on my face regularly and literally sitting in front of the fan all day.

Im kinda leaning towards this too. Migraines and a possible solution - since you will eventually get the A/C and 0% interest as you mentioned, I think its favourable, a factor to really consider. ...  It reminds me of my dad who had hip pain for 5 years and finally decided to go get a hip replacement and he wondered why he waited so long. Living life with a kind of discomfort / pain that can be fixed and make your life a more enjoyable. What does your DH want?

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#18 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRise View Post

Im kinda leaning towards this too. Migraines and a possible solution - since you will eventually get the A/C and 0% interest as you mentioned, I think its favourable, a factor to really consider. ...  It reminds me of my dad who had hip pain for 5 years and finally decided to go get a hip replacement and he wondered why he waited so long. Living life with a kind of discomfort / pain that can be fixed and make your life a more enjoyable. What does your DH want?

He wants the air con (110%).

I'm glad your dad finally felt better after his hip replacement!! I wonder if I will feel the same.. I keep tossing between it's only till next summer to why the hell am I putting everyone through this? redface.gif

#19 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM

I think that if your dh really wants it, and it isn't going to put your family in a horrible situation to buy it, it's really unfair not to take his feelings into consideration.  I would be super pissed if I was suffering in 110 degree weather with no air conditioning and my dh wouldn't "let" me install it because we didn't have all the cash up front.

#20 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Sometimes I have found that my holding too tightly to the purse strings (because I really want us to live within our means) has brought unnecessary tension between my husband and myself.  I know that my DH is very protective of his family.  If we were in this situation I could see my DH wanting the A/C because he wants to provide protection for his wife, babe-yet-to-come, and little ones already here.  He would hate to know we were at home and suffering through high heat when there is one thing he could do to make things better.  This protective instinct would get even more strong when I was pregnant.  Since he can't carry and nourish the baby, nor breast feed it when it's born, the best he could do for the baby was to make sure I ate well and slept well  . . . . and, if needed, get the A/C in pronto!  I could imagine him grinding his teeth with frustration if I blocked his ability to provide in this instance because of my normal response to debt.  I would also be wounding his pride, because he would perceive that I don't trust he will make sure his income is steady enough to pay a zero interest loan before 36 months.  There is also tension that comes up for us when one person totally blocks a financial conversation by clinging to one answer and not being open to talking about concerns and how they could be addressed.  I often will open up if we can talk budget - like "how are we going to fit payments into our monthly budget and not let this spill over into years of payments?"

Anyway - a little perspective from our own family dynamic.  I don't know if this applies to you and your DH. 

I wouldn't necessarily let my husband's wounded price influence my decision, but the health reasons below would shift A/C into the absolutely needed category.  

Also, on a health note:  I could see 100 being a bit hot - but bearable.  If it's frequently over 103, that is a stressor on your body and on your little ones (both in and out of your belly).  Your energy is needed to be focused on self nourishment so you can care for your little ones and grow a baby at the same time.  That requires a LOT of energy even in the best of circumstances.  Unless you have someone living with you to help out around the house with childcare/cooking/cleaning, I would seriously consider a/c a necessary investment in the wellbeing of your family - so you are not so drained simply by dealing with the heat.

#21 of 33 Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

Exactly! I thought if I can pull through and still deal, then surely the rest of us can? I think I have a case of the parental guilts. The air conditioner won't be on CC.. It will be on 0% interest (for 36 months) finance but I just hate the thought of owing more money.. when we could save and pay for it outright. The guy leaves upon finishing installation and we pay. Presto! It's ours. Soooo easy. I mean, the mere thought of the current debts are causing enough stress for me. I thought I had my mind made up, but conversations like the one yesterday always throw me in for a loop.. Back at square one. We will have enough saved by next summer fingers, toes and eyelashes crossed. I have a little bit of money in our EF that I could put towards the air conditioner but it's our EF! This is not an emergency (at least in my mind)!

OK this changes everything in my mind! 36 months is 3 years... 3 years before you have to worry about interest. If you'd have the money by next summer, and can be very disciplined/dedicated, you'd have the card paid off a good 2 years before the 0% expires, so you won't pay any interest. Plus you have an emergency fund, so if for some reason you can't pay off the cc before the 3 years is up, you could use the EF for that & still avoid paying interest.

I got migraines every day last month (not due to heat!) and once they finally stopped I felt a million times better, more productive, clearer thinking, etc.! You don't realize how badly they're affecting you until they go away! So to me this *is* kind of an emergency. Plus if your DH feels it's a necessity you need to consider his feelings too.

Twice I have bought things on 0% loans. One was a car I *needed* to get to work (no public transportation and my old car was no longer safe to drive). I made sure to have the money in savings, and absolute certainty that I could pay it off before it went up to some crazy 20% interest or something. One I paid off within a month or two, and the other in about 6 months. If you are 100% committed to it, all it really could affect is your credit rating, which for me wasn't really an issue since that was exactly the kind of situation I need credit for in the first place. Basically you're just buying yourself more time. In the 6 months I waited to pay off the second 0% loan above, I kept the money in a savings account that was getting 4.5% interest so I actually came out ahead doing it this way!

I do think no debt is ideal, but when you have options that likely won't cost you anything extra, it just doesn't make sense to continue to suffer day after day for a year or more! If you are using medication or seeing the doc etc. for the migraines it is actually going to cost you MORE in the long run to not get the A/C right away!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#22 of 33 Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 AM

Ya go get the A/C installed.  Make sure you get a good deal. :D  I'm not sure how hot that is until I checked temperature conversion chart (we all use celsius here).  I'd have a heat stroke everyday and I often brag about my heat tolerance (I have a "tropical" build.). 

*BTW can you send some of that heat and sunlight over to us who are freezing? :)

*I think your window unit was not powerful enough to deal with that kind of heat.  It was probably meant to bring temperature like 90 F down to 80 F, which is more typical in temperate regions.  Our portable a/c can do that easily, but we've never had temperature higher than 95 or so.  If you guys have much cooler nights, I'd suggest window fans to bring cool air in. 

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#23 of 33 Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 AM

Wow, $4500 is a lot.  But.  I live in a cold climate, I'm cheap, and have never lived/stayed in a house with central a/c (closest we had was a wall unit from the 80's shoved into a hole in the wall of my grandma's living room that we could only run for 18 hours a day during harvest season until it would ice up and freak out). 
At my house, we put up a window a/c in our kitchen window, use a fan to blow the cool air around the house, and at night bust open the windows and shove fans in them to cool down (at night it still gets down to the 50's, occasionally the 60's).  One year when I still desperately needed kids to nap and our bedrooms weren't insulated we had an a/c in their bedroom window, and I rigged up a setup in the upstairs with that, fans, and a blanket hanging from a shower curtain rod in the hallway.  Even if you needed 5 window a/c units, that's still only $1000, if that...  If central a/c isn't the absolute *only* option of course.

And yes, the time lost to migraines (when you could be, well, doing whatever) is certainly not free, especially if you have to catch up at some point.  Kind of like the extreme couponing - is it worth it if it takes up 40 hours a week and you need to hire a babysitter?  Just need to weigh the pros and cons.  :D

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#24 of 33 Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_b View Post

I think that if your dh really wants it, and it isn't going to put your family in a horrible situation to buy it, it's really unfair not to take his feelings into consideration.  I would be super pissed if I was suffering in 110 degree weather with no air conditioning and my dh wouldn't "let" me install it because we didn't have all the cash up front.

me ,too.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#25 of 33 Old 02-02-2013, 12:13 PM

I was in a similar circumstance, although with far lower temperatures.  Being in the heat made my family MISERABLE.  The kids were crabby, my DH was crabby, I was crabby.  We were lethargic and got very little done during the day, other than sniping at each other.  I spent way too much time away from the house in attempt to get out of the heat.  I spent more money on shopping and gas for the car than I needed to.  We went out to dinner and ordered out more frequently because I was too hot and tired to cook.

After a couple of years without A/C, we decided to take advantage of a program through our electric company and take out a very low-interest loan to pay for an A/C unit.  I can't tell you how much it revolutionized my life. I didn't realize how bad it was until after we got the A/C.

To me, it seems like a no-brainer with the 0% financing.  If you're already saving and think that you'll have enough saved to pay for the A/C upfront next year, taking out a 0% loan that you can pay off before the end of the 3 year loan repayment period. will allow you to get the unit faster, without incurring any negative financial consequences.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#26 of 33 Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 AM

It would depend on how much time was spent at home for me to say you absolutely need this.  If you spend most of the hottest part of your days at school/work/library/park/mall/pool/etc then maybe the air conditioning at home isn't really that necessary right away and you can save up. If your family is going to be home a lot during these hot days then I would get it now. It is not a luxury item in those kind of conditions.

I spend most of my day at home and do not do well in very hot temperatures. I would prioritize some air conditioning (or heat in cold months) as a basic need since it affects my mood, sleep, and keeps me from doing other things if I am putting all my energy into cooling off enough to function (or trying to stay warm enough to function in winter). We have window air conditioning units in our bedrooms and living room.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#27 of 33 Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I wanted to change my mind when I heard about the 0% interest financing but then I thought, "hmmmm, would I do it personally???"  Probably not.  I mean, I HAAAAATE debt.  It hangs over your head like a black cloud.  I'm poor.  I can't pay debt.  I HAVE to live within my means because there are no credit cards for me.  I paid of my debt and chopped my cards a couple years ago and haven't taken out another since.  And even if it's 0% interest, I would still panic about a large sum of debt hanging over my head like and anvil waiting to drop.  I would be under so much daily stress until it was paid off that i think it would be almost preferable to deal with the heat instead.  

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#28 of 33 Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update! It's been over 5 months, but we got our air con (yesterday actually). PAID CASH. thumbsup.gif And I'm so glad I waited!!! It felt good to hand over that money knowing that what we just had installed, was actually owned wholly by us now.

Let me just say that while it was so expensive, this air con rocks and was totally worth the cost and wait.. :) Thank you for helping me to think it through ladies.

#29 of 33 Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

We actually ended up going with the largest model instead of one medium and one small and it heats/cools our home to perfection. Cost $3000 instead of $4500.

dalia likes this.

#30 of 33 Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

Just wanted to update! It's been over 5 months, but we got our air con (yesterday actually). PAID CASH. thumbsup.gif And I'm so glad I waited!!! It felt good to hand over that money knowing that what we just had installed, was actually owned wholly by us now.

Let me just say that while it was so expensive, this air con rocks and was totally worth the cost and wait.. :) Thank you for helping me to think it through ladies.

joy.gif

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page