~ February No-Spend Challenge ~ Come save with us, Valentines! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 224 Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2/10

smile.gif Groceries $18.98, $18 to file taxes

I mended one of my skirts today.

I filed my taxes and the good news is that we are actually getting a refund.

I was able to work a lot today and my mom babysat for free love.gif

#122 of 224 Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

February 11

fever.gif  Unfortunately, dh being down with a bad cold ensures a no-spend today.  Tomorrow is grocery day.  I've been able to keep grocery days to Tuesdays and Fridays.  It can't possibly be that way every week, but I think it's nice to keep out of the stores as much as we can.  

thumb.gif thumb.gifthumb.gif=  Doin' just fine

happytears.gif happytears.gif=  Spoiled no-spend, but necessary

irked.gif = Unnecessary spending due to poor planning

jammin.gif jammin.gifjammin.gifjammin.gifjammin.gif= No spend

Grocery target= $740

Remaining=$489

I can't have this be a perfect no-spend month.  I need these things:

Underwear

Girl Scout dues

4-H publications

Valentine's Day stuff

Gymnastics tuition

Materials for chicken tractors

Camping reservation

Printer ink?  Maybe I can make it until March.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#123 of 224 Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Gah! Had to take away my preemptive thumb.gif *sigh*

Key: 

No unplanned/unbudgeted spending: thumb.gif

Unbudgeted spending: irked.gif

Ate at home all day: yummy.gif

Did something mindfully frugal: orngbiggrin.gif

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 5/15

2/1: irked.gif Bought lunch for kids at co-op because I didn't leave enough time to pack stuff *sigh*

2/2: irked.gif Bought snacks and drinks for kids at art class because I didn't leave enough time to pack stuff *sigh*

2/3: thumb.gif yummy.gif Only bought a few groceries and necessary garden supplies (grow light bulbs, seed starting supplies, spring is coming, woohoo!). Funds for both came out of the appropriate budget categories.

2/4: thumb.gif yummy.gif orngbiggrin.gif

2/5: irked.gif orngbiggrin.gif Overspent at Whole Foods, though most of it was from stocking up to catch a really good sale and case discount. 

2/6: thumb.gif yummy.gif

2/7: thumb.gif yummy.gif Spent the day at home after the sleet and freezing rain canceled our day and evening plans. I did go to the grocery store to buy ingredients for a knock-off of Panera's broccoli cheddar soup (OMW, so good!) and apple crisp, but that's in our grocery budget.

2/8: thumb.gif yummy.gif Spent the day at home, keeping warm and reading while the kids played out in the snow with friends most of the day.

2/9: irked.gif $15 for our share of a group take-out dinner at a friend's house (but I already had the veggies and brownie mix on hand to make up a veggie tray and dessert, which is a big deal for me!). 

2/10: irked.gif Bought bagels for a sledding party, then Moe's for dinner. 

2/11: irked.gif yummy.gif Bought a Kindle book for DD7 to read for co-op this week (thought we owned it but we don't), and bought a $2 piece of hardware to make my wireless headphones work properly again (I hope!). 

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#124 of 224 Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM

Azure pick up today. Got raw milk cheese, sweet brown rice, some herbs, carrots, celery, and canned chicken. Came in $3 under my coop budget so I'm pretty pleased. Tried to be frugal and snake my bathroom drain. Didn't work. Might have to bite the bullet and get our drain situation taken care of once and for all. At least it's something we can put off...a little. Made some GF scones for breakfast that were well received. Started knitting dd a wool vest for next winters wardrobe.

Being accountable helps keep me good!

7. PT conferences today. *I* didn't spend anything unbudgeted, buy my husband bought DS a book at the book fair $10 and then treats at the store $8 and then the babysitter $10. I paid for our sparkle stories subscription $15 and preschool $85...all in the budget. Made a double batch GF waffles to freeze for DH breakfasts and sewed on some curtains today.
8. DH got an oil change $46...budgeted. Cloth diapered DD today and did more curtain sewing. Curtains all done!
9. DH spent $18 for hiking shoes for boys. Unbudgeted. Cut both boys hair today...saved $30+tip.
10. Paid tithes and offerings. Budgeted.
11. Azure standard pick up $164--budgeted. DH Mt. Dew for the week $5.50--budgeted (yeah,that's right...he supposedly can't live without it.
13. Get fondue stuff for vday

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

#125 of 224 Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 PM

2/1: no spend biggrinbounce.gif

2/2: budgeted spending thumb.gif $123 Costco, $50 grocery store, $23 Target 

2/3: no spend biggrinbounce.gif

2/4: no spend biggrinbounce.gif

2/5: no spend biggrinbounce.gif

2/6: budgeted spending thumb.gif $3 pitched in to share french fries with friends

2/7: no spend biggrinbounce.gif

2/8: no spend biggrinbounce.gif

2/9: budgeted spending thumb.gif $50 ink cartridges for printer (ouch!), $56 grocery store 

2/10: no spend biggrinbounce.gif

2/11: budgeted spending thumb.gif $18 haircut for DD (couldn't take the rat's nest every day anymore!), $7 ibuprofen (needed for my knee--it's killing me to be taking this so much, but it's necessary for me to keep working)

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#126 of 224 Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 PM

2/11 smile.gif budgeted spending

Groceries $71.19, Drugstore $42 (medication), amazon $27 (garden tool, washing soda, disposable gloves for my son's school)

frugal things today:

I got a free tube of toothpaste at Rite aid (after rewards and a coupon).

I made chocolate bread pudding from a loaf of homemade gluten free bread that no one liked.  It was actually really good!  Also, my son can't eat egg yolks so I used just the whites in the bread pudding and saved the yolks to make lemon curd soon.

#127 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Another no-spend day here -- schoolwork this morning, play time and then a walk to the playground to see friends.  

love.gif  No spend

thumb.gif  Budgeted spend

irked.gif   Unbudgeted Spend

jog.gif Exercised

February 1 -- love.gif

February 2 -- thumb.gif  groceries and birthday present

February 3 -- thumb.gif more groceries, irked.gif shower curtain and bathroom scale jog.gif

February 4 -- love.gif jog.gif

February 5 -- love.gif

February 6 -- thumb.gif field trip to science center jog.gif

February 7 -- love.gif jog.gif

February 8 --  thumb.gif  gas and groceries

February 9 -- love.gif

February 10 -- thumb.gif piece of pipe to finish sink repair

February 11 -- love.gif gave dh a haircut

February 12 -- love.gif jog.gif

February 13

February 14

February 15 -- $30 night out

My goals:

Save 20% of Feb 1st  paycheck -- 15%, heating bill was over-budget

Save 20% of Feb 15th paycheck

Save entire tax return -- done!

Make every dollar matter

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#128 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 06:36 AM

thumb.gif  No spending     winky.gif  Budgeted spending    joy.gifDid something to save $ or make extra $       hang.gif  Hung clothes on the line

stillheart.gif  February  stillheart.gif

01  winky.gif  Paid all bills in bill box, should cover the next 2 weeks!  (I got paid today!  I'm every other week, DH is every week)  Need some groceries, going to try to hold off until tomorrow.

02  winky.gif  Bought groceries $141.  Spent a little more than I wanted to but it should last us a while.  Washed throw rugs & hung out to dry hang.gif

03  thumb.gif  I made a batch of hummus from the chick peas I froze last week.  We ate the whole batch with veggies.  Then I made a huge pot of chicken stock which I'm freezing for future use.  Then I made a huge pot of venison stock, which I turned into minestrone soup for tomorrow night.  I also made a batch of chocolate syrup since we were out & dd2 like chocolate milk 1 C water, 1 C cocoa powder, 2 C sugar.  Mix water & cocoa powder, until combined, add sugar.  Boil for 3 minutes.  Cool, store in fridge.  Make sure your pot is big enough so it doesn't boil over like mine did!!!  I don't want to step foot into the store again for at least another week, so I'm so glad that I remembered that I used to exclusively make my own chocolate syrup years ago so I dug out the recipe. 

04  thumb.gif

05 winky.gif  The only spending planned for today is paying admission to get into DD's game tonight.  I didn't make it to the game because of work.  Dh paid to get in & he also picked up a loaf of sourdough from Panera to go with the soup $3.18!   Went in to work early, because I have so much to get done.  joy.gif

06  thumb.gif  As tempted as I am to go buy apples today I'm holding off (we have 2 left in the house), but we have other fruit!  Did taxes, our refund is on the wayjoy.gif

07   winky.gif  Paid to do my taxes online using H&R Block, paid we we owe State taxes...

08   thumb.gif

09   thumb.gif The storm kept me from going to work, but we didn't spend any money!  Shoveled 2 feet of SNOW!!!  We need to budget a snow blower, ours crapped out!

10   winky.gif   Went to Aldi spent $37, mostly produce!  Feb grocery spending so far... $178!  Cooked tonight's dinner & prepped dinner for tomorrow! Made a batch of hummus from frozen chick peas, had some for lunch, will have more for lunches all week.  Meal planned for the rest of this week  joy.gif

11  thumb.gif  No spend!  Brought veggies & hummus to work.   Kids had no school, DD texted me at work pics of a brand new snow blower that someone dropped off by our back door.  She didn't see who left it...WTH?  I knew it was my Dad!  He surprised us & bought a top of the line snow blower!!!! OMG this is so amazing!  Now we don't have to save up!  I feel like we just won the lottery! joy.gif

27partytime.gif My B-day

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#129 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 06:41 AM

Key

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted Spending

irked.gif  Unbudgeted/ Unnecessary Spending

1.  thumb.gif  Starting off the month right!!  WooHoo!!  Still waiting on the new bean belly.gif

2.  thumb.gif  $100 on groceries for Super Bowl and easy food for DH to make when baby comes.  Still here, no baby.

3.  thumb.gif  SNOW!!! cold.gif  Not going anywhere today except for DH dropping our trash/ recycling at the collection site.  Started cooking DH's food requests for the game later.  Want to get 2 loaves of bread going a little later for tomorrow.  DH and I will be working in our utility room to set up more shelving and move my canning supplies/ food storage down there.

4.  irked.gif  $$ spent at Target and fast food lunch

5.  baby.gif  DD4 was born this morning joy.gif  42wks exactly!!

6.  thumb.gif

7.  irked.gif  Fast food lunch.

8.  irked.gif  Take out pizza for dinner.

9.  thumb.gif

10. thumb.gif

11. thumb.gif

12. thumb.gif  Giving myself a pre-emptive No Spend Day since we're not going anywhere and I have a plan for lunch and dinner.

February's Goals

9/ 20 No Spend Days

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#130 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

DD texted me at work pics of a brand new snow blower that someone dropped off by our back door.  She didn't see who left it...WTH?  I knew it was my Dad!  He surprised us & bought a top of the line snow blower!!!! OMG this is so amazing!  Now we don't have to save up!  I feel like we just won the lottery! joy.gif

Wonderful!

#131 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

11  thumb.gif  No spend!  Brought veggies & hummus to work.   Kids had no school, DD texted me at work pics of a brand new snow blower that someone dropped off by our back door.  She didn't see who left it...WTH?  I knew it was my Dad!  He surprised us & bought a top of the line snow blower!!!! OMG this is so amazing!  Now we don't have to save up!  I feel like we just won the lottery! joy.gif

That's so Awesome! have to love surprise like that! We need one bad but are doing the save up thing for next year... our driveway is a sheet of ice now anyways :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post

5.  baby.gif  DD4 was born this morning joy.gif  42wks exactly!!

I must have missed this! Congrats! 

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#132 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delightedbutterfly View Post

The month of LOVE! I already know I'm going to have a huge hiccup as our bank is updating their online system over our long weekend (Feb8-12). It's right after the husband gets paid so I'm going to have to be super prepared and this scares me lol we do everything online and I only transfer a small amount at a time! <----- Transferred money this morning... hoping to make it through ;) I know we will as both DH and I transferred more than either of us can spend in a month but it's really shocking to see how much I rely on the the online banking system! <---- we made it, and the system is back up so I can go back to obsessively using it!

Also both the kids need dentist appointments,

and the dog needs to go to the Vet.

Plus I'm going on a 2 day vacation "home" to my dad's retirement party,

oh and it's my birthday this month and Vday. <---- Dh spent money over his allowance but I'm not counting his stuff... I guess its a Vday present for me or maybe a birthday present as well... I don't know. But we usually ask about purchases over $50-100 and this was higher. So I'm just trying to let it go...

thumb.gif = No Spend  smile.gif = Groceries/Gas/Ok spending  duck.gif= Unnecessary spending  jog.gif = Exercised  yummy.gif = Ate all meals at home eat.gif = Made something new for dinner  twins.gif = Spending on Kids treehugger.gif = Did something Frugal

February

8: smile.gif $36.87 & $ 14.11 yummy.gif

9: smile.gif $29.32 & $173 yummy.gif

10: smile.gif $ 14.53 treehugger.gif a friend cut DH and DD2's hair. She did it for free in trade for a birthday cake I made her daughter in Dec 

11: duck.gif$12.53 & $46.48

12:

13:

14: stillheart.gifblowkiss.gifstillheart.gif

Week Two Feb 8-14 2013 <--- My totals could still change from the weekend as the online banking is still catching up on their posting...

$253.30/$200 week Grocery

$0/$?? week Gas/Car

$14.53/$?? week Stuff

$59/$?? week EatingOut

$0/$?? week Kids

$23/$50 month Dog

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#133 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 03:34 PM

No Spend thumb.gif
Budgeted Spend smile.gif

Unbudgeted Spend duh.gif

Meals At Home All Day eat.gif

Something Frugal For The Day treehugger.gif

Sewed For 30 Minutes Or More sewmachine.gif

Made/Found Money rainbow1284.gif

February 1: smile.gif - Paid $130 phone bill and DH $15 bank credit card billproxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*rainbow1284.gif - Got $40 refund check treehugger.gif - Made reusable Swiffer WetJet pad and no heater use(warm day}

February 2: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fthumb.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Stayed home all day! proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- reused salsa jar, no heater use(warm day) and made bread sticks from scratch

February 3: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsmile.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- $45.62 for gas proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Play date with grandparents and aunties, no heater, made spinach cheese bread this morning! I also got to pick up my serger and the rest of my fabric and patterns to start sewing again!

February 4: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fduh.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Husband used his credit card and spent $20 on his stupid video game. proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsewmachine.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Made toddler skirts for my shop proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Reused spray bottle and made natural orange cleaner!

February 5: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fduh.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- McDonald's for DH lunch $9.59 proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Frainbow1284.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Made $11.50 for being a mystery shopper for BestMark and made $20 for selling junk

February 6: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fthumb.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsewmachine.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Cut out boy and girl undies patterns

February 7: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsmile.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Bought household supplies $29.69 but went over budget irked.gif, Bought pet supplies $6.40 and Bought tax software $35.70 and got a $10 gift card proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Frainbow1284.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Made $11.50 for being a mystery shopper for BestMark

February 8: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsmile.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Paid car payment proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsewmachine.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Didn't really sew but cut out more patterns proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Used redbox code to get a free rental

February 9: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsmile.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Paid $25 Walmart credit card bill proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*

February 10: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fduh.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Had to pay for my hyenacart store it's only $5 but forgot to put it in this months budget and spent $4.59 on 1 box of Duraflame logs(we need them for fireplace) proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Frainbow1284.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Made $11.50 for being a mystery shopper for Bestmark

February 11: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsmile.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Dinner at Olive Garden for V-Day, $34.24 proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Sensory Playdate and used fireplace

February 12: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsmile.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Paid Rent $500 and Electricity $113(

proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fdizzy.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*it was twice the amount it was last month, must use fireplace instead of heater!!!), Gas $52.25 proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Playdate at the mall

My February Goals:

No Spend/Budgeted Days = 9/20
Sewing Days = 3/20
Frugal Days = 7/15
Meals At Home Days = 9/25

Gas = $97.87/$120

Stephanie, 25, Single parent to DS (7/10). I
Part Time Cake Decorator & Full-time Student

BS1: Completed 5/3/14
BS2: Credit Card Debt: Completed 5/18/14, Phone Acct: 6/20/14, Personal Loan: $4069.97
#134 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Holy moly, what a sweet gift! Such a dad thing to do love.gif

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#135 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 05:23 PM

What a spectacular fail of a day. We went out to run errands today and ended up spending like crazy as a result. Some of the things have been needed for awhile and I've just been putting off shopping for them, like bras for DD10 (dizzy.gif); jeans for me (I was down to one pair and discovered yesterday that there was a big hole inside one of the thighs); a new shower curtain (the mold won't wash off the old one anymore); and the new black loafers I've been searching for for months now. Of course, the $9 in library fines, the $13 at Panera, the new laundry hamper for DD7, and the multitude of new, shiny binders for schoolwork were probably not quite necessary. (At least I'll get 100% back in store rewards on the binders in a few weeks.) 

So, yeah, bad day, lots of spending. Hopefully the bras and jeans fit when they come, because I'm so tired of shopping for both and not finding what we need!

Key: 

No unplanned/unbudgeted spending: thumb.gif

Unbudgeted spending: irked.gif

Ate at home all day: yummy.gif

Did something mindfully frugal: orngbiggrin.gif

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 5/15

2/1: irked.gif Bought lunch for kids at co-op because I didn't leave enough time to pack stuff *sigh*

2/2: irked.gif Bought snacks and drinks for kids at art class because I didn't leave enough time to pack stuff *sigh*

2/3: thumb.gif yummy.gif Only bought a few groceries and necessary garden supplies (grow light bulbs, seed starting supplies, spring is coming, woohoo!). Funds for both came out of the appropriate budget categories.

2/4: thumb.gif yummy.gif orngbiggrin.gif

2/5: irked.gif orngbiggrin.gif Overspent at Whole Foods, though most of it was from stocking up to catch a really good sale and case discount. 

2/6: thumb.gif yummy.gif

2/7: thumb.gif yummy.gif Spent the day at home after the sleet and freezing rain canceled our day and evening plans. I did go to the grocery store to buy ingredients for a knock-off of Panera's broccoli cheddar soup (OMW, so good!) and apple crisp, but that's in our grocery budget.

2/8: thumb.gif yummy.gif Spent the day at home, keeping warm and reading while the kids played out in the snow with friends most of the day.

2/9: irked.gif $15 for our share of a group take-out dinner at a friend's house (but I already had the veggies and brownie mix on hand to make up a veggie tray and dessert, which is a big deal for me!). 

2/10: irked.gif Bought bagels for a sledding party, then Moe's for dinner. 

2/11: irked.gif yummy.gif Bought a Kindle book for DD7 to read for co-op this week (thought we owned it but we don't), and bought a $2 piece of hardware to make my wireless headphones work properly again (I hope!). 

2/12: irked.gifdizzy.gifduck.gifduh.gif

#136 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 PM

February 12

happytears.gif Today should have been errand today, leaving tomorrow a no-spend, but dd2 was too sick to go to class today, and not well enough for more than one errand.  I did *not* want to drive nearly an hour, do one errand, discover she's too tired and cranky to have come but still need to take dd1 to gym class, then make the long haul home.  So, I promised an extra trip into town tomorrow.  They have allowance they want to spend.  I have some co-op shopping to do.  At least tomorrow we can cut the day short when the going gets tough.  Poor girl, she is getting stir crazy.  She missed a fun 4-H meeting, a riding lesson *and* gym class!  And yesterday, with dh so sick he was unable to entertain her that well.  

Anyway, I was really wanting to rack up the no-spend days this month and avoid extraneous trips into town, but I'm feeling like this time it was practically necessary.

We added $2.50 to the FUNfund, an improvement over last week.  We've decided to also use the money for arts and craft supplies as well as open gyms and swims, etc.  

happytears.gif happytears.gifhappytears.gif=  Spoiled no-spend, but necessary

Grocery target= $740

Remaining=$450

Underwear

Girl Scout dues

4-H publications

Valentine's Day stuff

Camping reservation

Seeds?

#137 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM

2/6: budgeted spending thumb.gif $3 pitched in to share french fries with friends

2/9: budgeted spending thumb.gif $50 ink cartridges for printer (ouch!), $56 grocery store 

2/11: budgeted spending thumb.gif $18 haircut for DD (couldn't take the rat's nest every day anymore!), $7 ibuprofen (needed for my knee--it's killing me to be taking this so much, but it's necessary for me to keep working)

2/12: no spend biggrinbounce.gif

#138 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM

7. PT conferences today. *I* didn't spend anything unbudgeted, buy my husband bought DS a book at the book fair $10 and then treats at the store $8 and then the babysitter $10. I paid for our sparkle stories subscription $15 and preschool $85...all in the budget. Made a double batch GF waffles to freeze for DH breakfasts and sewed on some curtains today.

8. DH got an oil change $46...budgeted. Cloth diapered DD today and did more curtain sewing. Curtains all done!

9. DH spent $18 for hiking shoes for boys. Unbudgeted. Cut both boys hair today...saved $30+tip.

10. Paid tithes and offerings. Budgeted.

11. Azure standard pick up $164--budgeted. DH Mt. Dew for the week $5.50--budgeted (yeah,that's right...he supposedly can't live without it.)

12. Got v-day stuff a day early so DH can donate plasma tomorrow (he's saving to take the boys to Arches Nat. Park). Costco $26. Gas $40. Elec. $70 (I have no idea why it's so high in the winter when we use a gas furnace. I'll probably get a kill-a-watt one of these days and figure out what's killing us.). All. Budgeted spending! Kept knitting dd wool vest. Switched out ds wardrobe from 4t to 5t. All hand-me-downs from his brother that we got for free from my sister...most of it with tags still on. It pays to be the 2nd youngest of 7 sometimes.

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

#139 of 224 Old 02-13-2013, 06:11 AM

Thanks for all the support guys!  I know that my Dad is really proud of us for getting the CC debt paid off & I think that was part of him splurging on a snow blower for us.

thumb.gif  No spending     winky.gif  Budgeted spending    greensad.gif Not budgeted/went over budget       joy.gifDid something to save $ or make extra $       hang.gif  Hung clothes on the line

01  winky.gif  Paid all bills in bill box, should cover the next 2 weeks!  (I got paid today!  I'm every other week, DH is every week)  Need some groceries, going to try to hold off until tomorrow.

02  winky.gif  Bought groceries $141.  Spent a little more than I wanted to but it should last us a while.  Washed throw rugs & hung out to dry hang.gif

03  thumb.gif  I made a batch of hummus from the chick peas I froze last week.  We ate the whole batch with veggies.  Then I made a huge pot of chicken stock which I'm freezing for future use.  Then I made a huge pot of venison stock, which I turned into minestrone soup for tomorrow night.  I also made a batch of chocolate syrup since we were out & dd2 like chocolate milk 1 C water, 1 C cocoa powder, 2 C sugar.  Mix water & cocoa powder, until combined, add sugar.  Boil for 3 minutes.  Cool, store in fridge.  Make sure your pot is big enough so it doesn't boil over like mine did!!!  I don't want to step foot into the store again for at least another week, so I'm so glad that I remembered that I used to exclusively make my own chocolate syrup years ago so I dug out the recipe. 

04  thumb.gif

05 winky.gif  The only spending planned for today is paying admission to get into DD's game tonight.  I didn't make it to the game because of work.  Dh paid to get in & he also picked up a loaf of sourdough from Panera to go with the soup $3.18!   Went in to work early, because I have so much to get done.  joy.gif

06  thumb.gif  As tempted as I am to go buy apples today I'm holding off (we have 2 left in the house), but we have other fruit!  Did taxes, our refund is on the wayjoy.gif

07   winky.gif  Paid to do my taxes online using H&R Block, paid we we owe State taxes...

08   thumb.gif

09   thumb.gif The storm kept me from going to work, but we didn't spend any money!  Shoveled 2 feet of SNOW!!!  We need to budget a snow blower, ours crapped out!

10   winky.gif   Went to Aldi spent $37, mostly produce!  Feb grocery spending so far... $178!  Cooked tonight's dinner & prepped dinner for tomorrow! Made a batch of hummus from frozen chick peas, had some for lunch, will have more for lunches all week.  Meal planned for the rest of this week  joy.gif

12  thumb.gif  No spend.  I can't believe how many no spend days we've managed so far this month & not a single sad face!  This weeks paycheck won't be great for me, because of all the snow days.  We made omelettes & home fries for dinner! 

27partytime.gif My B-day

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#140 of 224 Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 AM

Hi - sorry I haven't checked in for a few days.  And apparently I need to check in to keep myself accountable!

I haven't spent anything outside of planned expenses, but I have spent more than I'd like, if that makes any sense.  And not checking in means that I can't really assign days.  Suffice it to say that I'm starting fresh today for the rest of the month.  :)

#141 of 224 Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM

Lost my no-spend yesterday.  I had a kid-free moment last night to run to the store for Valentines and chocolate.  

Today is a no-spend and we will have to shop tomorrow.   We are running low on food -- I can scrape together a frittata for dinner, but that's abut it.  After dinner tonight, we are down to split peas, chick peas and honey in the pantry.  And some onions and a bag of frozen corn.  I found some instant oatmeal in the camping gear that the kids are eating up (and they are supremely happy about it).  

The movers came to give us a quote and all they could say was, "Dude, where's your stuff?  You guys have like....nothing!"  We have enough, but are jettisoning a bunch of worn crap before the move.  The quote they gave us is very low and super manageable.  So, having fewer things is going to be a big money saver again.  Not only do we save by not buying extra things, we save when we don't have to move all those things.  

And since the cost of moving is covered by dh's new job, we will have bit extra to help cover our security deposit on our apartment in our new town.  It is all going so well thankfully.  Now I can focus on the tactical maneuvers needed to move a family of 6 and 2 cats 3000 miles across the country.  

love.gif  No spend

jog.gif Exercised

February 1 -- love.gif

February 3 -- thumb.gif more groceries, irked.gif shower curtain and bathroom scale jog.gif

February 5 -- love.gif

February 9 -- love.gif

February 12 -- thumb.gif  Valentines and chocolate jog.gif

February 13 -- love.gif

Projected:

February 14 -- groceries

My goals:

Make every dollar matter

#142 of 224 Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM

2/12 irked.gif not a very good day.  I ordered cupcakes for DS's upcoming birthday party instead of planning to make them myself.  The good news is that's one less stressful thing for me and I am supporting a local (allergen-free!) bakery that I just love.  $24.  Fast food dinner $8.64.  Well, I guess it could have been a lot worse.

Hopefully today will be a better day, but I must admit that I am *really* sick of cooking from scratch at the moment.  Expecially since the baby is super clingy because of a cold.

Frugal accomplishment--planted some lettuce seeds.

Today's frugal accomplishments so far--added a coupon to my safeway card to save $15 off my next $150 order.  Made v-day cards and gifts for the kids using stuff that we have on hand.  Baked some cupcakes from a mix I got on clearance.

ETA: I almost forgot my very. good. news!!  One part-time job is ending (the one that I hate), but another one (that I really like) is going to have more hours and be a lot more regular.  I am SO HAPPY energy.gif

#143 of 224 Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 PM

Thanks for all the support guys!  I know that my Dad is really proud of us for getting the CC debt paid off & I think that was part of him splurging on a snow blower for us.

thumb.gif  No spending     winky.gif  Budgeted spending    greensad.gif Not budgeted/went over budget       joy.gifDid something to save $ or make extra $       hang.gif  Hung clothes on the line

04  thumb.gif

08   thumb.gif

12  thumb.gif  No spend.  I can't believe how many no spend days we've managed so far this month & not a single sad face!  This weeks paycheck won't be great for me, because of all the snow days.  We made omelettes & home fries for dinner! 

13  winky.gif  Picked up raw milk & oats $10.  Got a couple valentines things at the dollar store $4.25

27partytime.gif My B-day

#144 of 224 Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 PM

February 13

praying.gif We'll see what this week brings as far as groceries go.  Today's purchases were a bit spendy, considering we will need some more fruits and veggies for over the weekend.  We are at about $162 for the week.  I did stock up on nuts and chocolate chips and honey and no-stir organic PB for snacks and goodies, and those should last us for a while.  So, I didn't get a thumb's up, but I might end the week that way.  shrug.gif

We overspent at DQ, and I think that skipping this trip would have been smart.  But they were really gung ho, had money to spend there.  They didn't eat their fries, which means I could have ordered our lunch better.  We did end up leaving with the idea that we should skip this for a while.  DD1 decided she wasn't spending any more of her snack money this week.  Good call, because she'll getting a lot of candy tomorrow!

I am going to return their extra Valentine's gifts.  I thought it was something they really wanted, but we were back at the store for them to spend their allowance, and I casually asked what they thought of it, and neither seemed thrilled.  DD1 had wanted that once, but she wasn't interested, and dd2 had her eyes on something else.  So, since I have enough stuff anyway, I thought I would just return that next week and get $38 credited.

praying.gif = Waiting to see how this day ends up looking

Grocery target= $740

Remaining=$326

Underwear

Girl Scout dues

4-H publications

Valentine's Day stuff

Camping reservation

Seeds?

#145 of 224 Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 PM

No Spend thumb.gif
Budgeted Spend smile.gif

Unbudgeted Spend duh.gif

Meals At Home All Day eat.gif

Something Frugal For The Day treehugger.gif

Sewed For 30 Minutes Or More sewmachine.gif

Made/Found Money rainbow1284.gif

February 1: smile.gif - Paid $130 phone bill and DH $15 bank credit card billproxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*rainbow1284.gif - Got $40 refund check treehugger.gif - Made reusable Swiffer WetJet pad and no heater use(warm day}

February 2: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fthumb.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Stayed home all day! proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- reused salsa jar, no heater use(warm day) and made bread sticks from scratch

February 3: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsmile.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- $45.62 for gas proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Play date with grandparents and aunties, no heater, made spinach cheese bread this morning! I also got to pick up my serger and the rest of my fabric and patterns to start sewing again!

February 4: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fduh.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Husband used his credit card and spent $20 on his stupid video game. proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsewmachine.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Made toddler skirts for my shop proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Reused spray bottle and made natural orange cleaner!

February 5: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fduh.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- McDonald's for DH lunch $9.59 proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Frainbow1284.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Made $11.50 for being a mystery shopper for BestMark and made $20 for selling junk

February 6: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fthumb.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsewmachine.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Cut out boy and girl undies patterns

February 7: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsmile.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Bought household supplies $29.69 but went over budget irked.gif, Bought pet supplies $6.40 and Bought tax software $35.70 and got a $10 gift card proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Frainbow1284.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Made $11.50 for being a mystery shopper for BestMark

February 8: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsmile.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Paid car payment proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsewmachine.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Didn't really sew but cut out more patterns proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Used redbox code to get a free rental

February 9: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsmile.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Paid $25 Walmart credit card bill proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*

February 10: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fduh.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Had to pay for my hyenacart store it's only $5 but forgot to put it in this months budget and spent $4.59 on 1 box of Duraflame logs(we need them for fireplace) proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Frainbow1284.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Made $11.50 for being a mystery shopper for Bestmark

February 11: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsmile.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Dinner at Olive Garden for V-Day, $34.24 proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Sensory Playdate and used fireplace

February 12: proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fsmile.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Paid Rent $500 and Electricity $113(

proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Fdizzy.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*it was twice the amount it was last month, must use fireplace instead of heater!!!), Gas $52.25 proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Playdate at the mall

February 13:duh.gif- Game time for WOW crap.gif something that my husband insists that he NEEDS proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Feat.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.mothering.com%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ftreehugger.gif&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*- Valentines Day Party for skylar

My February Goals:

No Spend/Budgeted Days = 9/20
Sewing Days = 3/20
Frugal Days = 8/15
Meals At Home Days = 10/25

Gas = $97.87/$120

Stephanie, 25, Single parent to DS (7/10). I
Part Time Cake Decorator & Full-time Student

BS1: Completed 5/3/14
BS2: Credit Card Debt: Completed 5/18/14, Phone Acct: 6/20/14, Personal Loan: $4069.97
#146 of 224 Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 PM

2/13 smile.gif $73.37 for gas.

put my frugal accomplishments in my prev post orngbiggrin.gif

#147 of 224 Old 02-13-2013, 08:32 PM

2/12: no spend biggrinbounce.gif

2/13: no spend biggrinbounce.gif

My freezer is now SO full of meals (this is what happens when I stick to my meal plan ;)), I think we're actually set for next week, which means my grocery bill should be pretty cheap this weekend :)

#148 of 224 Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM

February 14

jammin.gif No spend.  Staying home.  I think I have enough groceries to make it until Monday.  That would be fabulous!  We'll see.

praying.gif = Waiting to see how this day ends up looking

jammin.gif jammin.gifjammin.gifjammin.gifjammin.gifjammin.gif= No spend

Grocery target= $740

Remaining=$326

Underwear

Girl Scout dues

4-H publications

Valentine's Day stuff

Camping reservation

Seeds?

#149 of 224 Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This month has been a wash. I will need to try again in April. We are moving and it's getting costly.

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#150 of 224 Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM

love.gif  No spend

jog.gif Exercised

February 1 -- love.gif

February 5 -- love.gif

February 9 -- love.gif

February 12 -- thumb.gif  Valentines and chocolate jog.gif

February 13 -- irked.gif ice cream to make up for a tough day

February 14 -- thumb.gif gas and groceries

Projected:

February 16

February 17

February 18 

February 19

February 20 

My goals:

Make every dollar matter

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page