Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Frugality & Finances (http://www.mothering.com/forum/312-frugality-finances/)
-   -   ~ February No-Spend Challenge ~ Come save with us, Valentines! (http://www.mothering.com/forum/312-frugality-finances/1373492-february-no-spend-challenge-come-save-us-valentines.html)

Crunchy*VT*Mom 01-30-2013 10:22 AM

This is a support thread to help you not spend your money.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be February 1st. Now is a good time to start.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here and record your spending.

We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

c. How you plan to get there

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

SweetSilver 01-30-2013 10:42 AM

stillheart.gifOh, thank you thank you thank you..... I promise promise promise not to spend any money this month!

a. Who you are  Homeschooling mom of two girls, 6 and 8.  I am sel-employed as an ocasional housekeeper.  DH is a gardener and landscaper, also self-employed.  We live in a rural area (nearest town 3miles away is pop 650), and 30 miles from a small urban area.  We moved to our new house on our property of 15 years, and we have renters in our house in "town".  We have chickens and, thankfully this year, a garden coming.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) Winter is our down-season financially.  Expenses exceed income for Jan through March--and April if we are unlucky.  And December if we are really unlucky.  May through October is our time to save.  So, for now we need to hang steady.  I want to have enough income to keep the girls in gymnastics once a week, and riding lessons every other week, and to keep our sky-high grocery bill organic.

c. How you plan to get there  Keep our grocery bill down, if not to our target goal, then well below $1000.  Spending on anything extra has to wait.  We are in the middle of applying for a refinance on our rental, which could ease our monthly expenses by about $175, or at least create a better cushion for expenses related to that house, or give us some extra money to pay down the principle a bit.  We are not trying to make money on the house, but keep it up with hopes to sell it down the road.

We are done with birthdays and celebrations for a while, so our spending is focussed on what we need.  There will be some expenses related to establishing a garden, building a couple of chicken tractors (and a small flock of chickens and ducks to put them in) and I desperately need underwear orngtongue.gif so I will get those, but will make do with everything else.

We expect a good tax return this year.  

stillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif I (Heart) Savings!!!stillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif

alittlesandy 01-30-2013 10:53 AM

I'm so excited that the February threads are starting up! I'm planning to join this one, the getting out of debt thread, and the pantry challenge. I'm ready to stop spending!

My name is Sandy, I'm 41, and I have two kids, DS who is 4 and DD who is 9 months. I am a full-time university professor and the breadwinner of the family. DH is a stay-at-home dad. This semester is going to be both challenging and rewarding as I'm sabbatical leave from January until June (when I will be teaching summer school).

My financial goals consist of getting out of debt, building an emergency fund, and saving up to buy a house. Because we are in our 40s with 2 kids, and because I am a working professional, we are under tremendous pressure to buy a house. It's amazing to me how deeply offended people are by our lifestyle. For a long time this stressed me out, since there is absolutely no way we can afford a mortgage (we live in a high COL area). Finally, DH and I discussed and decided that this is just not the right time for us to buy, and we want to be out of debt, have a 3-6 month emergency fund, and have a 20% down payment.

Reading DR really helped me clarify and justify my goals, especially my refusal to accept "help" from DH's parents, who really don't understand what we mean when we say we can't afford a mortgage. They want to co-sign or help with a down payment, but what we cannot afford is the monthly payment on a mortgage, which will be MUCH higher than our rent (where we live we can expect to pay 1,200-1,500 a month on a mortgage payment on a very small house, our rent is a lot less than that). Not only that, I do NOT want to be beholden to people, because no matter what anyone says, giving that someone that much money ties you to them and it's a burden. I've seen friends and relatives go through this. We are happy campers renting and are going to stay this way for several more years until we reach our other financial goals.

We also want to be free to someday ditch everything and live in an RV or go live cheaply overseas.

SO, I plan to accomplish these goals by doing a "no spend" year and following the steps in DR's book TMMO. Have been deeply inspired by reading DR's books, reading Not Buying, as well as other blogs, etc.

I've blabbed enough for now so I'll come back later and post our plan for not spending in February.

I also just want to say that I've been devouring the threads in this forum and I'm so thankful for such a great community to turn to for ideas and support. smile.gif

petersac 01-30-2013 11:38 AM

a. Who you are - I'm a 33 year old mom to an almost 13-month old (will be on Friday), a wife, and a lawyer. 

b. Where you are going (your financial goals):  Both my husband and I work full time, so lack of income isn't our biggest problem. We paid off a significant amount of debt at the end of last year and I'm determined not to fall back into our spendthrift ways...and to keep making progress on the remaining debt we do have.

c. How you plan to get there:  Budget, budget, budget!  I know what our monthly expenses are almost to the penny and I know that I can make our grocery budgets, etc. work.  It's the laziness that gets me.  We might have leftovers in the fridge or plenty of things to make a good dinner with, but I worked "so hard" and I'm tired that ordering pizza or getting takeout just seems better.  Which it isn't - either for our health or our wallets!

I looked at the January thread and this looks like the accountability I need!

FillingMyQuiver 01-30-2013 11:53 AM

a.  I'm Jenn, homeschooling SAHM to 5 kiddos, due any day with our 6th.

b.  We're on track to being debt free.  We've been s-l-o-w-l-y progressing on it, it seems as though each time we take 2 steps forward, we also need to take 3 steps back irked.gif But we're pressing on.  I would LOVE to have our CC debt paid off by the end of the year, but I'm not sure if that goal is too lofty or not.

c.  We're still working on controlling our spending shy.gif.  Our plan for the month:

~ STAY OUT OF STORES!!  This is our biggest $$ suck.  Our family can NOT go into a store for just 1 thing, we end up spending at least $100!!  We've been doing really well keeping this under control and we're going to continue to work on staying out of stores.

~  Cooking at home as much as possible.  We'll have a newborn any day now, it's going to be overwhelming, but I need to keep the food budget as low as possible.  DH and I need to sit down and re-evaluate our food budget.  Costs are going up,. our kids are getting bigger, and I think I've been in denial about how much we *really* need.

~  STICK TO THE BUDGET!!  My 4 oldest children have dentist appointments this month and I have my first eye appointment in almost 15 years kewl.gif  I'll file our taxes in about a week, but the whole return is going to pay our midwife and birth assistant.  We don't need anything for the new baby since we've held onto almost everything from our other kids, I will probably need a couple new nursing bras.

My only goal for February is to strive for 20 No Spend Days.  I'm not focusing on crafting this month, just enjoying newborn snuggles.  I will *try* to get some seeds sown for the garden, but I'm not going to make myself any promises.

CookiePie 01-30-2013 12:20 PM

Hello I'm Maria, Mama to two girls 15yo & 9yo.  DH & I have paid off the last of our CC dept last month!  You don't know how happy that makes us!  It has been a struggle!  I finally found a stable job in addition to my seasonal job, which is making a huge difference for us!  DH just stated contributing to his company matched 4O1K after stopping for a couple years (because his company stopped contributing).  I've started a savings account in order to fund a Roth IRA for myself and anticipate fully funding it by April 15, so that it will be for 2012.  I have never been great at saving until now!  I've been super conscious of our spending and getting our grocery budget down.  Every week when I write in our income deposits I transfer funds to the savings account.  Once the IRA is set we will payoff DH's car loan, & continue to save for Roth's for both of us for 2013...AND start throwing more money at the mortgage.  We are doing this in steps. 

Step 1: We used the DR method of snowballing debt mixed in a little Suzie Orman and paid of highest interest cards first. Check

Step 2: Start Funding DH's 4O1K again Check

Step 3: Save $5,000 for Roth IRA by April 15 2013 in order to have it count for 2012 In Process

Step 3: Payoff DH's car loan a current payoff amt is $2457.  We will most likely continue to just pay the minimum until Roth is funded. Then snowball that amount.

Step 4: (A)  Set aside $211.54/ week to max out Roth IRA's for both of us for 2013  Will do so once DH's car is paid off!

(B)  Pay off my car loan in 18 months!

(C)  Put every extra penny toward mortgage principal

(D)  Use our seasonal 2nd income towards beefing up EF, car replacement funds, Christmas club, and vacation fund (planning a vacation in 2014)

This thread really helped me stay accountable in January!

delightedbutterfly 01-30-2013 12:30 PM

Joining early this month! Woot!

a. Who you are: I'm delightedbutterfly, a SAHM to two beautiful girls and I do a bit of PT after school daycare. We live in North Western Canada where it's COLD and snowy 8+ months of the year. This is a recent change for us as we just moved here. So we've put out a lot of money last year and I'm hoping now that we have a decent base of winter gear and all the moving costs done with that we will be able to save a lot more this year. 

b. Where you are going (your financial goals): This year we'd like to save aggressively. Partly for retirement and partly for a couple vacations we'd like to take before thinking about expanding our family. Our longer term goal is to have a healthy savings account and be able to enjoy life on our terms a bit more. And our long long term goal is to be able to retire comfortably.

c. How you plan to get there: We have pretty much everything we need for a comfortable life. I'd like to focus on saving more and spending less. I know I will still buy the odd extra we don't need but I'd like to continue to remind myself more often that we can do without. Last year I did pretty well at not bringing anything into the house unless I knew exactly where it's "place" was going to be, or walking away from said item until I did know the place and telling myself that if it was meant to be it would still be there when I went back. I'd like to continue this on a more ruthless path as well as do another declutter now that we've moved and we're realizing that some items do not fit the new house.

I'm going to break it down by week and learn my budget/goals as I go as I haven't really budgeted in the past, I've always just "made" everything work somehow.

Last month I learnt that I'm going to spend, I just need to make sure it's spending that will benefit the family and not just my need to shop/get of out of the house. I also learnt that when I'm sick we EatOut too much. And I really need to do larger grocery shopping days!

Ruthiegirl 01-30-2013 12:34 PM

a. Who you are

I am Ruth, mama to 4 kiddos.  

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) 

We are in the process of selling our house and moving cross country in April.  So, it is all about gathering savings right now.  I have a goal to save 20% of each paycheck.  We also had to have a window replaced in January as part of the house sale and I am paying for that in cash with part of February's income.  

We are selling some things.  I am going to Craigslist some furniture this month.  And of course, stick to my budget.  Normally, I am pretty good about sticking to a budget, but with the upcoming move, things have been popping up.  The kids want to visit their favorite places before we go and this has meant we have been scheduling trips to expensive places like the Science Center and our favorite restaurants.  We can do a couple of trips, but certainly not the extensive list the kids have in mind.  

I also need to get the taxes filed.  Normally, we don't get a return, but we had a baby last year and never adjusted our withholdings.  So, that should be a little extra cash.  

delightedbutterfly 01-30-2013 12:37 PM

thumb.gif = No Spend  smile.gif = Groceries/Gas/Ok spending  duck.gif= Unnecessary spending  jog.gif = Exercised  yummy.gif = Ate all meals at home eat.gif = Made something new for dinner  twins.gif = Spending on Kids treehugger.gif = Did something Frugal

February

1: smile.gif $12.07, $83.87, $16.39, $18.72, $32.96 duck.gif $17.29, $16.64 eat.gif <- Made pulled pork poutine, MMMM but Dh didn't like it... treehugger.gif Groomed the dog myself. She still needs more but it's a start!

2: thumb.gif Staying home and not spending, treehugger.gif took Vday pictures of the girls instead of paying someone to do it. They were fun and some turned our really great! Now I'm downloading GIMP which is a free photoshop program instead of paying $$$ for a commercial one. I got a really nice new camera for Christmas and I'm still learning how to use it, so I currently don't NEED to spend big bucks!

3: 3: smile.gif Bought a few groceries $75, mostly snack types for yesterday's "SuperBowl Snack Dinner" but other stuff too jog.gif treehugger.gif Both the exercise and frugal were the same thing. We went to the free skate sunday and the girls and I skated for over an hour. It was my youngest child's first time so lots of extra on me. Felt really good. DH just watched. He can't really skate and doesn't want to hurt himself which he is prone to.  yummy.gif

4: smile.gif $19 & $23 and duck.gif$23.68

5: smile.gif $ 29.98 and treehugger.gif <- DD1 had an eye appointment, and the cost out of pocket was the same amount I won on a gift certificate from their FB page before Christmas! yummy.gif eat.gif

6: smile.gif $15.68 twins.gif $12.87 and duck.gif$21.74

7: smile.gif $13.13 & $15.96 & $40 twins.gif $7 and duck.gif$9.72

8: smile.gif $36.87 & $ 14.11 yummy.gif

9: smile.gif $29.32 & $173 yummy.gif

10: smile.gif $ 14.53 treehugger.gif a friend cut DH and DD2's hair. She did it for free in trade for a birthday cake I made her daughter in Dec 

11: duck.gif$12.53 & $46.48

12:

13:

14: stillheart.gifblowkiss.gifstillheart.gif

15:

16:

17:

18:

19:

20:

21:

22:

23:

24:

25:

26:

27: birthday.gif

28:

Week Two Feb 8-14 2013 <--- My totals could still change from the weekend as the online banking is still catching up on their posting...

$253.30/$200 week Grocery

$0/$?? week Gas/Car

$14.53/$?? week Stuff

$59/$?? week EatingOut

$0/$?? week Kids

$23/$50 month Dog

Week One Feb 1-7 2013 <----- I may have only had one no spend day this week but I spent significantly less this week and felt ok about it!

$116.05/$200 week Grocery

$72.96/$?? week Gas/Car

$182.75/$?? week Stuff

$88.50/$?? week EatingOut

$19.87/$?? week Kids

$23/$50 month Dog

mamabear0314 01-30-2013 12:38 PM

I'll be observing but not participating this month..we're moving so things are going to be crazy and I'm not sure how much money we'll be spending for the move and such. Keeping the budget nice and tight. Good luck ladies!

Sunshyn74 01-30-2013 04:08 PM

a. Who you are: I am Lisa, divorced mama to two girls, age 11 and 6

b. Where you are going (your financial goals): Long term I am hoping to keep my head above water, maintain my debt-free status, fully fund a baby EF, and start a FFEF.

c. How you plan to get there: by being frugal, only spending when necessary, selling items to help supplement my part-time income.

Hiccups this month:
Dog has to go to the vet for regular visit, licensing, and preventative meds (Heartguard and Frontline)
Supplies for both girl's school Valentine parties

February

1: No spend. Snow Day! Staying home. Cooking from the freezer/pantry. Youngest goes to her dad's this evening for the weekend.
2: No spend. Foot of snow fell last night. Watching Netflix with DD. Housework. Relaxing day at home.
3: $126 spent for groceries, household, and dog food ($40 of this was for my parents)
4: No spend. School. Work. Sledding. Daisies. Parent's.
5: $44 planned gas/car. $24 not planned. Snack and drink for DD's K classes (50 kids). Found out yesterday we needed today greensad.gif Skipped dance due to snow-saved gas.
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:
17:
18:
19:
20:
21:
22:
23:
24:
25:
26:
27:
28:

honeybee80 01-30-2013 07:36 PM

a.  Who you are

I'm Ellen, single WOHM to DD (9) and DS (7).  I'm a 2nd grade teacher and split parenting time close to 50/50 with my ex.

b.  Where are you going

I've decided buying a house would be a smart decision for me right now, so I'm trying to save for a down payment so that I can hopefully buy a house this summer when my lease on my apartment is up.

c.  How you plan to get there

Now that I have a REAL goal (all of my previous goals have been vague and wishy-washy), I am hoping to really stick to my budget this month.  $350 for food, $120 for gas, and $150 for miscellaneous purchases.  I tore my ACL skiing last week and have to have surgery in March, so I know there will be expenses for that even though I have insurance.  That is another reason for me to be extra frugal this month.  I want to make sure I'm cooking meals on the weekends so that I'm not tempted to buy dinner out during the week.  Limited mobility due to my injury means additional savings regarding gas and just being out in general, so I'm hoping to actually come in under budget this month! :)

JunebugsMom 01-30-2013 11:12 PM

a. Who you are

Mama of 3 (7, 4, 11mos). DH works full time and I have 2 part-time jobs. One job is very irregular and the other one may be ending soon dizzy.gif

Right now we are just trying to stay afloat and not incur any more debt.  Pay off credit cards when we can.

I finally kept close track of our spending in January so I want to really work on the budget.  Basically no unecessary spending, minimal eating out, and keep the grocery budget as low as possible.

Crunchy*VT*Mom 01-31-2013 05:06 PM

My goal = 15 no-spend days

My progress = 4 no spend days so far

01  thumb.gif

02  $71 Valentine's stuff for the kids

03  thumb.gif

04  thumb.gif

05  $25 dinner out with friends

06  thumb.gif

07  $8 McDonalds

08  $18 McDonalds

sdelgadillo389 01-31-2013 07:26 PM

a. Who you are

Hello! This is my first time doing this! I'm very excited! I'm Stephanie, I'm married and a SAHM to a 2.5 year old boy. DH was laid off in December mecry.gifHe's been trying to find a job since then. He's an iron worker. Been living off unemployment until either one of us can get a job. We live in southern California, which explains why we can't find a job.... worst state for finding employment.

Right now is to find decent paying jobs and pay off all credit cards. Long term goal is to pay off car, start an emergeny fund and a "new" used car fund

It's kind of hard to save especially when DH is a compulsive buyer. duh.gif So one way to stop him is to take away his credit cards and debit card thumb.gif I will not use any of my credit card at all this month. Only use my debit card for necessary purchases. Save every last penny we get. No eatting out except for Valentines Day(Promised DH we could). Being frugal like meal planning, making own cleaning products, plant veggie garden. Also save our tax return money, only use part of it to pay off credit cards.

petersac 02-01-2013 06:25 AM

Well, today's the day we kick this off, I guess!  No "planned" spending for me, but we *might* go get Mexican food for dinner tonight (DH will pay out of his allowance, so I'm not counting it).  But we might not.

We had a bit of a nasty surprise yesterday - we moved DH's 401(k) contribution up quite a bit and I miscalculated the take-home pay (by $300 the wrong direction, ouch).  We should still be able to make it work, but it will be a lean month.  My pantry and freezer are pretty stocked, so grocery shopping should consist of dairy and produce, for the most part.  Both of which I prefer to buy organic (well, dairy is non-negotiable on that front for DS).

Good luck, ladies!

CookiePie 02-01-2013 07:52 AM

This month is going to be very tough!  I just looked through our budget & I can't find a way for us to meet our savings goals for this month.  We were behind by 1 week last month and I was hoping to make up the difference in Feb, but I'm not sure that I can, the girls have several appointments coming up that we had put off for a long time.  At least one will cost us more than we have set in the budget, although I won't know the number until next week after her consult.  We will likely be able to cover it but it will mean less or nothing to savings.  But I'm going to do my best to try to tweak things in such a way that we can hopefully save some!  Since I started our taxes but I'm waiting for one more document, I'm thinking that the tax return could make the difference and we may actually meet our goal!  Can I admit here that I'm kinda obsessed with our finances these days?  I'm trying so hard to not spend, to spend wiser and hold off as long as I can, and most importantly to save!  I get such satisfaction when I get a good deal on groceries and when I stretch things!  Things like making a gallon of homemade yogurt for $3.50.  Whenever I eat it or serve it to the kids I feel such huge gratification.  When I want take out but decide instead to do a home made version of the food that I crave, anytime I figure out a way to save $.  It is kinda strange I know but it is helping me to stay focused.  Anyone else with me on this?  DH is on board, he has never been this into it before!  He used to get so annoyed with me, but I think something clicked and now he gets it.  He knows that we have a budget and there is money allocated to each category & if we go over, than something will have to go from another category, or we can't meet our savings goals.  I think he totally understands that it requires him to be more conscious of spending, not just me.  Now that CC's are paid off he can see that our hard work has served us well and if we can save just as well as we paid things off, we should be in a much better place than we ever imagined!  We are both feeling very empowered by the experience and anxious to watch our savings accumulate, similar I think and just as gratifying as watching our debt shrink!  Now if I can only get the number to work for this month!!!   Goals for the month are to do even better with the meal plan.  Try to purchase only what we need to make meals from what we have on hand.  If I find any amazing deals for the pantry or freezer, then I will consider.  But staying away from non-essentials.  I will focus on stretching what we have, with purchases of produce & dairy.  I'm also vowing to bring my lunch to work with me all month.   

thumb.gif No spending     winky.gif  Budgeted spending    joy.gifDid something to save $ or make extra $       hang.gif  Hung clothes on the line

stillheart.gif  February  stillheart.gif

01  winky.gif  Paid all bills in bill box, should cover the next 2 weeks!  (I got paid today!  I'm every other week, DH is every week)  Need some groceries, going to try to hold off until tomorrow.

14  stillheart.gif

27partytime.gif My B-day

delightedbutterfly 02-01-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

27partytime.gif My B-day

Ooohhhh! Your birthday is on the 27th too? Another birthday buddy! I swear that Feb 27th is a great day to be born!

Crunchy*VT*Mom 02-01-2013 11:09 AM

Sticking close to home today.  Not going anywhere = great for the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

My goal = 15 no-spend days

My progress = 1 no spend day so far

01  thumb.gif

Ruthiegirl 02-01-2013 11:23 AM

After a craptastic start to my day, I am here to jump back into a new month.  We got a call from our agent this morning telling us that our house deal is dead and gone.  The buyer has pulled out and we are back on the market.  Huge frustrating moment.  I gave myself an hour to feel very blue....and now I am here trying to focus on the month ahead.  

I powered through the taxes and filed those this morning.  It usually takes two weeks to get our refund and that will go entirely to savings.  

I set aside 15% of today's paycheck in savings.  I want to do 20%, but will wait till I get the heating bill.  With all of the snow we have had lately, our bill may be higher than usual and I don't want to be caught short.  If the bill is on budget, I'll transfer the 5% to savings. 

Went through the fridge/panrty and have a list for tomorrow's grocery shopping.  Must stick to the list. 

And I guess I am taking a deep breath and telling myself that it will all be okay.  We have enough right now, our bills are paid, we are warm and safe.  Our house will eventually sell and we will move on.   My beautiful boy turns 5 tomorrow, we have a little party planned, a Superbowl party with friends on Sunday -- truly, we live a wonderful life.  I just need to keep my chin up.  

love.gif  No spend

thumb.gif  Budgeted spend

irked.gif   Unbudgeted Spend

February 1 -- love.gif

February 2

February 3

February 4

February 5

February 6

February 7

February 8

February 9

February 10

My goals:

Save 20% of Feb 1st  paycheck -- 15% so far, holding 5% till heating bill is paid

Save 20% of Feb 15th paycheck

Save entire tax return

Make every dollar matter

petersac 02-01-2013 11:59 AM

Ruthie - I'm so sorry to hear that, but happy birthday to your son!  Do you have a drop-dead date that you have to move by?  Are you moving for a job, etc?

granolamommie 02-01-2013 12:39 PM

Ok- so 

a-Who are you? Danica aka granolamommie.  Mom to 3 kiddos- Bella 10, Arydona 5, Kai 3 - hoping to add one more bio kid this year and foster care/adopt 1-2 more.  Right now I am a kindergarten teacher but hopefully will be subbing and homeschooling my oldest next year.  Maybe even the youngest too.

b- financial goals- to get our credit back in order and to buy a truck cash as well as some other major purchases cash.  So we need to save 5-600 a month right now.  We are also trying to get a farm started so we need to buy some livestock.  

c- how do you plan to get there- we are planning on minimizing our excess spending, and I work full time but am hoping to make it 2 part time jobs that are flexible around dh's schedule. We are moving to a farrm to be able to be more self sufficient but this is all long term.  This month I am planning on making more from scratch meals to keep the grocery budget down.  I am planning on using the things we already have on hand instead of getting more from the grocery store- making my own apple sauce/ dried apples from the 20lbs I bought from AZURE Standards. I am planning on making use of the dried beans we have. I am really excited about this challenge- though I blew it today buying bfast and tea.

1shrug.gif

SweetSilver 02-01-2013 03:54 PM

February 1  irked.gif

Started the month out by completely forgetting my lunch for after open swim ($10) this morning.  Had lunch with dh and the girls at Dairy Queen, but hahahaha!! that cost was figured into the dismal 5 weeks that was mostly January!!!!  So, even the minor grocery stop gets shunted onto another month. mischievous.gif   Still, I get a little Disgruntled Dude-icon for not being more organized.  We cannot do open swim if we keep having to do this every time!

We have a portion of last week's Azure delivery to share with February.  However, I am happy to say that this time the bill is a mere $85.  Grocery target for the next 4 weeks (2/4-3/3) is $740.  That's going to be tough-- that means approximately $164 per week after the Azure bill is figured in.    I keep not making my target but I will not stop trying (don't hold your breath, though)!  

I can't have this be a perfect no-spend month.  I need these things:

Underwear

Materials for chicken tractors

Camping reservation

Seeds and starts for the garden

Gymnastics tuition

4-H publications

Otherwise, I must commit to no more spending.  No birthdays, no nothin' for a while.  I found a decent pair of jeans back in the back of the closet, so I can make due.  I fixed my merino long johns I wear everyday using last year's blown-out pair.  I started hemming another skirt I've had for 3 years but was way too long.... I don't need anything more this month now I have my new undies and I must stick to this.

Posting early for the weekend: no spending planned or needed whatsoever.  

irked.gif = Should have planned better

jammin.gifjammin.gif= No spend

Grocery target= $740

Remaining=$655

sdelgadillo389 02-01-2013 04:31 PM

No Spend thumb.gif
Budgeted Spend smile.gif

Unbudgeted Spend duh.gif

Meals At Home All Day eat.gif

Something Frugal For The Day treehugger.gif

Sewed For 30 Minutes Or More sewmachine.gif

Made/Found Money rainbow1284.gif

February 1: smile.gif - Paid $130 phone bill and DH $15 bank credit card bill rainbow1284.gif - Got $40 refund check treehugger.gif - Made reusable Swiffer WetJet pad and no heater use(warm day)

My February Goals:

No Spend/Budgeted Days = 1/20
Sewing Days = 0/20
Frugal Days = 1/15
Meals At Home Days = 1/25

Gas = $0/$120

FillingMyQuiver 02-01-2013 05:06 PM

Key

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted Spending

irked.gif  Unbudgeted/ Unnecessary Spending

1.  thumb.gif  Starting off the month right!!  WooHoo!!  Still waiting on the new bean belly.gif

February's Goals

1/ 20 No Spend Days

petersac 02-01-2013 06:45 PM

So far, so good.  We did go out for dinner, but DH paid. Love that man.  joy.gif All bills were paid/scheduled yesterday, or they are on auto-draft, so I'm not counting any of that for purposes of this challenge.

1 - thumb.gif

honeybee80 02-01-2013 06:59 PM

2/1:  no spend biggrinbounce.gif

Tomorrow I'm planning to do my monthly Costco trip and regular weekly grocery shopping trip.  I think the challenging thing for me is cooking when I'm tired, so I need to make sure that I make anything I can this weekend for the next week so that I can stick to my meal plan.  I almost decided I needed to spend money on a baby shower gift for a friend, but I'm going to make a small quilt with fabric I already have instead of buying something.  Sewing is definitely one of the more useful crafty things I've taken up that doubles as a thrifty hobby :)

JunebugsMom 02-01-2013 07:48 PM

2/1 smile.gif Groceries $28.50

JunebugsMom 02-01-2013 07:51 PM

I am totally with you on this!  I get so excited when I save a lot on my grocery bill...I have even been known to text DH with the amount I saved ROTFLMAO.gifI am so glad I have this forum where I can share my frugal accomplishments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

I'm trying so hard to not spend, to spend wiser and hold off as long as I can, and most importantly to save!  I get such satisfaction when I get a good deal on groceries and when I stretch things!  Things like making a gallon of homemade yogurt for $3.50.  Whenever I eat it or serve it to the kids I feel such huge gratification.  When I want take out but decide instead to do a home made version of the food that I crave, anytime I figure out a way to save $.  It is kinda strange I know but it is helping me to stay focused.  Anyone else with me on this? 

Ruthiegirl 02-01-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersac View Post

Ruthie - I'm so sorry to hear that, but happy birthday to your son!  Do you have a drop-dead date that you have to move by?  Are you moving for a job, etc?

Thanks petersac.  Yes, we have a move date. Dh starts a new job at the end of April, so we have to leave here in about 7 weeks. It will all be fine, I was just really hoping that we had sealed a deal and could move without stressing about the house and covering rent and the mortgage.  Looks like we will be scraping the penny jar for a few months while we try to do it all.

And I feel better now.  DH and I had a nice talk and we can handle this.