Frustration/Renting a home - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just need a spot to vent publicly in hopes I will receive some sage advice.

How on earth do people who have only one working adult in the family, afford to rent a home?! I have been looking around, nearly obsessively, for a couple of days and even the homes in the shady areas (which we would not move to) cost a thousand dollars huh.gif PLUS utilities!!! I am heartsick. I so want a house and a yard for me and my family. We live in an upstairs apartment and we have two pugs which makes it extremely difficult to take them potty when DH isn't home; and when baby comes in July it will be impossible in the winter. Okay, not IMPOSSIBLE, but sometimes quite dangerous in Minnesota winters. 

If you rent a home on one income, how do you do it? 

Prayers welcome and desired. Thanks everyone. 

help.gif

#2 of 63 Old 02-02-2013, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Sigh...we live in a 700 sq ft home in the ghetto. :/ But the boys and the dog have a yard...

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#3 of 63 Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM

In my area, there are houses divided into two units, each with half a yard (one gets the front, the other the back). You don't get the whole house, but either the upstairs or the downstairs. They are wanted by many, and disppear quickly when they are available! So, it's an apartment with access to a yard. The floorplan may be odd. Usually they are advertised on craigslist.
#4 of 63 Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM

It probably has a lot to do with the area you are living in, too. Right now, DF is the only one working (that started mid-December, when I had to quit my job), we rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with yard, garden area, and 2 car garage, and it's $600/month + utilities, which each (water/electricity and gas) run around $100/month each, so total of $800. (I'm not trying to rub it it, just showing differences of cost/area.) Just rent/utilities is over 1/2 of his income, so we're oftentimes tight on money, but we live right next door to my mom, which the kids love, and it's small town, close to a couple of cities, but far enough not to have to worry about the drama of living in the city. (We live in Indiana, if that helps.)

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#5 of 63 Old 02-02-2013, 03:43 PM

It's really frustrating.  We live in a small 2bd/1ba in a decent neighborhood and we pay $1780.  And that is a good price for around here.  That's because we live in San Diego.  DH has a good job, but he doesn't make any more money here than he would in any other city.  I have had to take on a part time job (2, actually).

#6 of 63 Old 02-02-2013, 07:08 PM

We rent a mid-sized 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bathroom townhouse for $850/month. I'd prefer a single-family home or at least something with a decent sized yard, but this is what we can afford on dh's income.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#7 of 63 Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ya look for small townhouse and they might be more affordable.  $1000 hardly rent a 2 bedroom apartment here.  We used to rent a 1 bedroom apartment for $875 and that was 12 years ago.  Single family houses start from $2000.  Your area's rent doesn't sound too bad.

BTW don't forget to look for apartments on the main floor.  Many of them have a yard or patio that they can use for their own.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#8 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 AM

We rent half of a 2-family duplex in Atlanta. It's 2 bed/1bath, less than 800 sq ft. It is 850/month and includes water/sewer/trash. Electric has been running around 65/month, gas is averaging 100/month right now. There is a brief period in the spring and fall that we don't need heat or AC, and our electric/gas bills are soooo cheap. I think we'll stay here another year, but after that we will need to find something bigger. We will probably not be able to stay in this area because anything bigger will have more expensive rent to go with it, and I haven't seen anything cheaper than 1200/month in this area for what we'll need down the line.

From what I've been noticing, rents continue to increase. It is frustrating because it seems as though it would be cheaper to buy, but we can't right now, too many strikes against us in that department.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#9 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

$1000 hardly rent a 2 bedroom apartment here.  We used to rent a 1 bedroom apartment for $875 and that was 12 years ago.  Single family houses start from $2000.

This. I'm in a totally different area but similar prices to the above. COL is fairly high here, and salaries are on the low side (plus lots of unemployment/underemployment). We are homeowners but will likely lose our home soon thanks to the economy & some personal issues. The problem, if we can't afford our mortgage, I don't see how we'll be able to rent in our price range either. Most likely we'll have to find a tiny 1-bed apartment in the worst part of the city (dangerous) with no yard and no parking. I'm already getting rid of half our possessions in anticipation.

Anyway, it's expensive because owning a home is expensive and rent has to at least help the landlord break even (and preferably come out a bit ahead, especially with all the labor landlords usually put into it!) It's much easier for landlords to pay their mortgage when they're able to charge rent to multiple families instead of just one. If only one family is renting the place, that family essentially has to pay full costs of home ownership. If the mortgage is $1400/month, real estate taxes $200, insurance $100, repair/maintenance costs $100, they need to charge at least $1800 just to break even, and the landlord can't afford to pay your utilities, which are often much more costly than for a small apartment.

The only person I know who is able to rent a house on one income is family with the landlord, plus they do work in exchange for a lower rent. And the mom has worked part-time most of the time too so it's not even truly one income. Everyone else I know on one income is renting apartments (usually small ones). greensad.gif I hate the way things are these days... so sorry you are having trouble finding a place! Like the others said, look for townhouses or duplexes, they might be slightly more affordable and still give you a lot of what you're looking for.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#10 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

Sigh...we live in a 700 sq ft home in the ghetto. :/ But the boys and the dog have a yard...

What does a 700 sq foot home look like? By that I mean, is it super tiny or an okay size home? I just don't know how to visualize it... Yeah I wish we could move to the ghetto and be okay, but I have PTSD so I just wouldn't be able to handle it. Maybe in the future, who knows..

The homes in my neighborhood are easily 2k-3k to rent, plus utilities. Our utilities/etc in an apt are $200-$300. I just cancelled the internet (jaw.gif) so that will save us $90 and in the fall/spring it should be down to $90 for electric. 

We are certainly looking for a duplex but those seem to run about the same... but I am keeping my eyes peeled, at least until the internet goes away later this month then I will hit the library sporadically.

Thanks ladies!!

#11 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 AM

In my area duplexes are the better option over apts. I pay 895 for a 3bd 2 bath duplex, i live on spousal and child support alone.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#12 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post

In my area duplexes are the better option over apts. I pay 895 for a 3bd 2 bath duplex, i live on spousal and child support alone.

I am so happy you can stay home with your children! Yay!

#13 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Yikes! Where I live renting is really cheap. I own a huge home way under $600 a month. But we also bought a fixer upper and have been working on it for the last 8 years......and trust me most days I wish we would just rent! We also live on one income.....sorry I really wasn't much helo duck.gif

#14 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am a single mom with one income. I rent a 4 bedroom house in a fairly shaky area for $1200/mo. I was looking to downsize, but found that 3 bedroom apartments in my area start at $1000! Not worth the move to me, and I can do better to rent out the extra room. Utilities are really high though, and an apartment would probably be better.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#15 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I'm just commiserating.  I've been looking for a better place for YEARS.  YEARS.  No joke.  I'm a single parent to three with a very low income(below the poverty level by quite a bit) and we spend about 65% of our monthly income on rent.  We rent an 800sqft 2 bedroom half of a duplex in a "rough neighborhood" as it's been described by a few people recently.  BUT it's got a good-sized fenced-in backyard(front yard is unusable due to an aggressive dog across the street that has cornered us on our porch before) and I have dug up parts of it for a garden in the summers and we have swings hanging from our tree and there's even a very small bonus room in the basement that's finished for an extra "bedroom."  But it's just under $1000 a month.  greensad.gif  And that's cheap in my area.  Like I said, I've been looking for about 6 years for something better but it just hasn't come along.  Renting is all I've ever known but man it's pricey.  And you are always at the mercy of your landlords and neighbors(in my case living in a duplex).  I hate my neighbors right now so it's pretty miserable since we share the deck/yard.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#16 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarciaFamily View Post

What does a 700 sq foot home look like? By that I mean, is it super tiny or an okay size home? I just don't know how to visualize it... Yeah I wish we could move to the ghetto and be okay, but I have PTSD so I just wouldn't be able to handle it. Maybe in the future, who knows..

The homes in my neighborhood are easily 2k-3k to rent, plus utilities. Our utilities/etc in an apt are $200-$300. I just cancelled the internet (jaw.gif) so that will save us $90 and in the fall/spring it should be down to $90 for electric. 

We are certainly looking for a duplex but those seem to run about the same... but I am keeping my eyes peeled, at least until the internet goes away later this month then I will hit the library sporadically.

Thanks ladies!!

Do you live in a few high cost of living area?  My utilities(I consider gas/electric/oil/water) are in the winter months about $150 at most.  But we have gas heat and plastic our windows and heat only to 60 and wear sweatshirts/sweaters inside.  We have no cable and internet is a necessity for my oldest daughter's schooling needs unfortunately and using the library with littler ones right now instead just isn't feasible.  So I make the choice to have the basic internet package.  We keep electric as low as possible and I think it's averaging $35 a month(running no dryer).  We also have no A/C unit for the summer.  We have shared water in my duplex so there's not much I can do about that if my neighbors waste but I try to keep our water needs low except in the summer when I'm watering a garden(no lawn watering).  But there's NO.WAY. our utilities would even get close to $200-300 a month.  

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#17 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 12:36 PM

Wow! I'm so sorry to hear that rent is so high! A little surprised, kind of, but I figure some of you live in fairly popular areas, and obviously some very high COL areas. It really sucks, and I hate to hear how hard it is for y'all to find places. greensad.gif

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#18 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post

Wow! I'm so sorry to hear that rent is so high! A little surprised, kind of, but I figure some of you live in fairly popular areas, and obviously some very high COL areas. It really sucks, and I hate to hear how hard it is for y'all to find places. greensad.gif

Where we live now is certainly desired, yeah, so we are REALLY blessed to be in this apartment for the cost. But I was looking really anywhere really in the greater metro area, just to see and it all seems similar, which seems really odd to me! Maybe it's just the craigslist postings... We have thought about going out in the sticks (something I desire greatly) but there are just NO jobs and DH just might pull a Shining on us winky.gif... and we couldn't afford to drive a ton... Plus our minivan has a good amount over 200,000 miles on it. 

DH is also mexican in race (he was born/grew up in small town midwest), and small town life, the farther west and in some cases north in MN we go (which would be cheaper), seems to be pretty hostile to him. So strange and sad and maddening, but that is how it is. 

All of your voices have helped! Thanks!

#19 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 01:08 PM

We've done a number of exchange situations (caretaking, remodeling ect).  

Recently we found a house outside of Sioux Falls we can manage.  We only use half of it....

Anyone wanna share it? 

#20 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 01:13 PM

My neighbors are desperately trying to find a stand alone 2B house for 1400 + utilities. They've been looking awhile because that is very low for our area. Townhouses/duplexes start at more then that. We currently rent a small 3B row house (so long and skinny) for 2200 + all utilities. No real yard because the lots are so close together, we used to have to walk the dog in the street to pee after going down 2 flights of stairs in the snow and ice. We really wanted a 4B because we are a family of 6, and this house is a little tight but 4B houses are virtually impossible to find, they rarely ever come up. When this one came up, I snatched it knowing we would never find anything better. It is a dead end street so we use the street as our yard most of the time. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#21 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 PM

It sounds like the yard is more important to you than the square footage or the layout?  If so, can you look for a place that has a "den" or "dining room" that can be converted into another bedroom? (Depending on the child welfare laws in your area, you may need to give your child(ren) the actual bedroom with a closet, door that closes, and a window, and then you and DH would sleep in the den/dining room/whatever.) 

We currently live upstairs from my mom (she's in a wheelchair, and we help take care of her in exchange for a break on the rent.)  But I know that arrangement can't last forever, so I've been researching apartments in our area.  Two bedrooms for under $1200 are pretty much impossible to find -- but once we started looking at 1BRs with dining rooms, a lot more possibilities opened up! 

Gently, I'd also like to hear what some of you are defining as "dangerous", "ghetto", "shaky", etc...  I lived in one neighborhood in NYC that got the "You live THERE?!?!" reaction all the time - but I was right across from a hospital emergency room, and a Dunkin Donuts orngbiggrin.gif, so there were CONSTANT police cars parked near my building.  I couldn't have felt safer! 

In another neighborhood, I had suspicions that a lot of my neighbors were undocumented immigrants - which made me feel pretty safe, as well, since they didn't want any trouble on their block that would have the police asking questions... and the "big men" in that particular community wanted to keep it that way. 

All that being said, I've also looked at apartments in neighborhoods that skeeved me out completely - not b/c of the demographics, but because it was desolate after dark, or there was a lot of street harassment of women, etc etc.  Really, if you (generic you) are considering a rental, I think the best thing to do is to visit the neighborhood BOTH in the daytime and in the nighttime, and to trust your instincts. Does that make sense? 

#22 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

It sounds like the yard is more important to you than the square footage or the layout?  If so, can you look for a place that has a "den" or "dining room" that can be converted into another bedroom? (Depending on the child welfare laws in your area, you may need to give your child(ren) the actual bedroom with a closet, door that closes, and a window, and then you and DH would sleep in the den/dining room/whatever.) 

We currently live upstairs from my mom (she's in a wheelchair, and we help take care of her in exchange for a break on the rent.)  But I know that arrangement can't last forever, so I've been researching apartments in our area.  Two bedrooms for under $1200 are pretty much impossible to find -- but once we started looking at 1BRs with dining rooms, a lot more possibilities opened up! 

Gently, I'd also like to hear what some of you are defining as "dangerous", "ghetto", "shaky", etc...  I lived in one neighborhood in NYC that got the "You live THERE?!?!" reaction all the time - but I was right across from a hospital emergency room, and a Dunkin Donuts orngbiggrin.gif, so there were CONSTANT police cars parked near my building.  I couldn't have felt safer! 

In another neighborhood, I had suspicions that a lot of my neighbors were undocumented immigrants - which made me feel pretty safe, as well, since they didn't want any trouble on their block that would have the police asking questions... and the "big men" in that particular community wanted to keep it that way. 

All that being said, I've also looked at apartments in neighborhoods that skeeved me out completely - not b/c of the demographics, but because it was desolate after dark, or there was a lot of street harassment of women, etc etc.  Really, if you (generic you) are considering a rental, I think the best thing to do is to visit the neighborhood BOTH in the daytime and in the nighttime, and to trust your instincts. Does that make sense? 

For me, that would be the neighborhood we lived in when I was a child; prostitutes on the corners (three or four houses down from ours), every night and drug dealers, needles and other drug paraphernalia all over the sidewalks/streets/yards, that kind of stuff. But that's just my 2cents.gif.  (I was followed once when I was a kid at night taking a loaf of bread down a few houses to a friend's house. Was lucky I didn't get assaulted, or worse. Never went out again after dark by myself, though.)

#23 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:

For me, that would be the neighborhood we lived in when I was a child; prostitutes on the corners (three or four houses down from ours), every night and drug dealers, needles and other drug paraphernalia all over the sidewalks/streets/yards, that kind of stuff. But that's just my 2cents.gif.  (I was followed once when I was a kid at night taking a loaf of bread down a few houses to a friend's house. Was lucky I didn't get assaulted, or worse. Never went out again after dark by myself, though.)

Yeesh, that sounds rough.  I'm sorry you had to go through that. 

I should mention that I haven't lived in an urban area since I got pregnant, so maybe everything I say should be taken with a big grinder of salt (I like the Hawaiian pink kind, myself). orngbiggrin.gif

My experience has been that those people who had the worst time living in "bad" neighborhoods, were those who saw the area as just a source of cheap rent, and didn't make any kind of connections in the community. (I am NOT including bmcneal's family in this - I have never met them and know nothing about them.) 

If the "old-timers" in the neighborhood never see you (generic you) except when you're dashing from your bus stop, parking spot or train station to your front door, keeping your head down and clutching your purse the whole time -- what kind of opinion will they form of you?  And what kind of opinion will they assume you have of them?  

If you shop in the local stores, chat with people on the street (maybe even the sex workers! They might be hardworking moms too), help the elderly widow on your block take out the trash, whatever - after a while, you'll have a network of people who "watch your back" for you.  

It also helps, if you can, to join local organizations - which could be a church, a block association, a community garden, whatever.  (In our case, my spouse and I belonged to a religious group that was well-known in the area.  If you ever want to feel completely safe in a Caribbean-American neighborhood, try walking around in head-to-toe white, with a white head covering, and perhaps wearing a rosary or a saint's medal... orngbiggrin.gif)  But obviously, DON'T come into any of these existing orgs as the "new person" who's going to "change everything" with all your great ideas - I'd gently suggest shutting up and listening for the first three meetings, at least.  

If anyone tries these suggestions (or, you already tried them, and they failed spectacularly), I'd definitely like to know!

#24 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Yeesh, that sounds rough.  I'm sorry you had to go through that. 

Meh, it is what it is. We were really poor, and while it wasn't ideal, it was a place to live.

I should mention that I haven't lived in an urban area since I got pregnant, so maybe everything I say should be taken with a big grinder of salt (I like the Hawaiian pink kind, myself). orngbiggrin.gif

My experience has been that those people who had the worst time living in "bad" neighborhoods, were those who saw the area as just a source of cheap rent, and didn't make any kind of connections in the community. (I am NOT including bmcneal's family in this - I have never met them and know nothing about them.)

If the "old-timers" in the neighborhood never see you (generic you) except when you're dashing from your bus stop, parking spot or train station to your front door, keeping your head down and clutching your purse the whole time -- what kind of opinion will they form of you?  And what kind of opinion will they assume you have of them?  

If you shop in the local stores, chat with people on the street (maybe even the sex workers! They might be hardworking moms too), help the elderly widow on your block take out the trash, whatever - after a while, you'll have a network of people who "watch your back" for you.  

It also helps, if you can, to join local organizations - which could be a church, a block association, a community garden, whatever.  (In our case, my spouse and I belonged to a religious group that was well-known in the area.  If you ever want to feel completely safe in a Caribbean-American neighborhood, try walking around in head-to-toe white, with a white head covering, and perhaps wearing a rosary or a saint's medal... orngbiggrin.gif)  But obviously, DON'T come into any of these existing orgs as the "new person" who's going to "change everything" with all your great ideas - I'd gently suggest shutting up and listening for the first three meetings, at least.  

If anyone tries these suggestions (or, you already tried them, and they failed spectacularly), I'd definitely like to know!

These are all really good ideas! We kind of stay to ourselves here, but that's mostly because a lot of our business is conducted outside of "normal" business hours. That being said, we live next to my mom on one side, so we have okay relationship with those neighbors, and DD and DS are friends (I think. I swear, these kids friend and un-friend each other more than all of FaceBook combined...) with the neighbors on the other side, and I/we do talk to them/their mom when we see them.

The neighbors on the other side of my mom, I rarely see the mom, but DD occasionally talks to the little girl that lives there. She's kind of mean (the other girl), so neither DD nor the neighbor girl/kids directly next to us play with her terribly a lot. (She is I think 10, and DD is 7 and DS is 4. She can be bossy and I have literally seen her push/shove/physically contact my children in a not-friendly way, so while I allow them to play with her when I am able to pay closer attention, I don't like for them to play with her too much when I'm not right there, and they kind of have gravitated away from her after those incidents started.) The neighbors on the other side of those neighbors are older, and either because they don't get out much, or because our schedules are so different, I very rarely see them, and if I do, I will exchange small talk, or wave or whatever. I'm pretty happy with my neighbors. :) (Even though I do worry about the one little girl. DF and I have seen her outside playing as late as 11 on school nights, and a lot of times, she says she didn't/doesn't go to school because she didn't/hasn't been to bed yet. DF and I socialized a bit with her mother a few years ago, but when we moved the first time, we lost contact. I would like to ask her if she needs anything, but I worry about making waves/social faux pas. I'm not sure about enough of the situation that I feel comfortable contacting anyone "official" or talking to her mother, really, but I do worry.)

#25 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm talking about rough stuff. Prostitutes, calling the cops on a person being beaten in the street by 5-6 dudes with chains, guns, child/animals/domestic abuse, drugs, hustlers all over ... basically my old neighborhood in MPLS before we moved here, and neighborhoods like that. There were/are certainly people there trying to make it a better place, and I was one of them, but I can't anymore (sadly) and I don't want to really get into why but like I said, I have PTSD and as much as I'd like to ignore it, I can't, especially with DD and another on the way.

Not urban areas, though, like we are looking at W. St. Paul. It isn't nice but it isn't bad either. It's urban and has it's own thugs, but nothing that rivals areas I am thinking about. 

Day and nighttime is a GREAT idea! I sort of know where we need NOT to be but the places I am open to, we should check it out at both times, and in the spring/summer too because winter is here and that is not an accurate portrayal of life during the 3 other seasons. 

2 BR is not really a need, but law around here. We have a 2 br now and we all share one room, but legally we can't rent under 2 BR. 

#26 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It probably has a lot to do with the area you are living in, too. Right now, DF is the only one working (that started mid-December, when I had to quit my job), we rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with yard, garden area, and 2 car garage, and it's $600/month + utilities, which each (water/electricity and gas) run around $100/month each, so total of $800. (I'm not trying to rub it it, just showing differences of cost/area.) Just rent/utilities is over 1/2 of his income, so we're oftentimes tight on money, but we live right next door to my mom, which the kids love, and it's small town, close to a couple of cities, but far enough not to have to worry about the drama of living in the city. (We live in Indiana, if that helps.)

I want to live in Indiana winky.gif

#27 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:

I want to live in Indiana winky.gif

Come on over! The water's fine! (As long as it's summertime. Winters get a bit cold, but if there's enough snow to play in, I don't mind.) orngtongue.gif

To give an idea about other dwellings around here (in case anyone was wondering or cares...) I've rented an upstairs studio apartment for $325/month utilities included (no yard, as it was downtown), and a one bedroom duplex (well, half of a duplex), for $425/month, utilities included (with a fairly large backyard), and the other half of the duplex was 2 bedroom, which was $525/month with utilities included, (with a slightly smaller yard than the other half, but still okay size), all in same city here in Indiana.

I've never lived (as a rent-paying adult) in any other cities here in Indiana.

In east Tennessee, we rented a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom duplex for $600/month, plus utilities. That one was a side-by-side duplex, and it had a *huge* front yard, and even bigger back yard.

granolamommie likes this.

#28 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:

I'm talking about rough stuff. Prostitutes, calling the cops on a person being beaten in the street by 5-6 dudes with chains, guns, child/animals/domestic abuse, drugs, hustlers all over ... basically my old neighborhood in MPLS before we moved here, and neighborhoods like that. There were/are certainly people there trying to make it a better place, and I was one of them, but I can't anymore (sadly) and I don't want to really get into why but like I said, I have PTSD and as much as I'd like to ignore it, I can't, especially with DD and another on the way.

Yeah, you can only do so much!  I'm sorry to hear about the PTSD - I'm a survivor myself so can definitely understand. (hugs if you want them) 

Day and nighttime is a GREAT idea! I sort of know where we need NOT to be but the places I am open to, we should check it out at both times, and in the spring/summer too because winter is here and that is not an accurate portrayal of life during the 3 other seasons. 

That's a good point I overlooked! ...We rented one apt in the fall, and when the following summer came around, we were NOT prepared for the number of people who'd be hanging out on our stoop all day long, nor for the LOUD concerts they held in the nearby park, on weeknights, until 1:30am... 

2 BR is not really a need, but law around here. We have a 2 br now and we all share one room, but legally we can't rent under 2 BR. 

That's crazy!  I understand the law is in place to prevent greedy landlords from renting closet-sized apartments to families, but you know, some people don't NEED a McMansion sized living space... 

#29 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Gently, I'd also like to hear what some of you are defining as "dangerous", "ghetto", "shaky", etc...

The neighborhoods where you hear gunshots out the window every night... yeah, BTDT, not really interested in living there with a child...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#30 of 63 Old 02-03-2013, 04:23 PM

It just depends on where you live. Here a modest 2 bed house can be rented for $400

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page