Use your local Library - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My best frugal tip is to use your local Library...It's a one stop shop full of savings!

1. Story time! Is fun, free, educational entertainment for you and your little ones.

2. Check out books for you and your little ones. The selection is huge and if you can't find what you want you can always request it. You can also search and request from home via the Internet to save time!

3. Check out music. Great selection in kids CDs so you don't have to listen to the same songs over and over!

4. Check out movies and educational films for you and your little ones! I checked out a breastfeeding DVD the last week, great info if you can't make it to a breastfeeding support group.

5. Skip the gym and the expense that comes with it and check out workout DVDs. You can do this in your living room to save time and money!

6. Check out books on tape. Great for traveling! 

7. Look into your local branch, often they provide other services and resources for families!

#2 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

You forgot about the fun of shopping in the discard pile.  I've found lots of great books that I wanted my own copy of for really, really cheap.

#3 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We really just use the story times and borrow lots of books but I couldn't agree with you more. The library is AWESOME!

We get lots of books for cheap at the monthly book sale as well. 

mama to three little ladies
#4 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I can never do any of that. :( My kids are insane apparently. As soon as we walk in they are running up and down the aisles, being loud and not listening. Sigh.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#5 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

I can never do any of that. :( My kids are insane apparently. As soon as we walk in they are running up and down the aisles, being loud and not listening. Sigh.

I've gone through long stretches where I used the online catalogue to place lots of holds, then I only had to pop into the library long enough to grab the holds that were waiting for me, and could leave, or I could get DH to pick up the holds on his way home from work.

#6 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

I've gone through long stretches where I used the online catalogue to place lots of holds, then I only had to pop into the library long enough to grab the holds that were waiting for me, and could leave, or I could get DH to pick up the holds on his way home from work.

Hmmm, that's a thought...

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#7 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 AM

If you have an ereader...Use the Overdrive App (on Nook or ipad, amd probsbly Kindle, but not sure) to check out books. They are on your device for 3 weeks then return automatically, unless you return them sooner. No late fees, no leaving the house. We love this feature and use it daily.
#8 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 AM

I love our local library! There is even a branch near us that has storytimes on Saturday mornings for WOHMs.

The only potential budget busters are late fees (I've gotten burned with this a couple times, but I don't feel too bad since I see them as "donations" to the library) and damaged items (I took out one book that my daughter trashed. We only borrow board books, with no "pop-ups" or extra pieces, now...)

#9 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Adding to the list: When my kids were small, the library had a dedicated phone line you could call and hear stories. I don't know if it's still available, now that you can download audiobooks to your computer, tablet etc. and listen to them. At the time, it was a wonderful distraction that would give me a short breather during the day. 

Oh, and another way I saved money with the library - I would often go there when I had an hour or so to kill while the kids were in an extracurricular activity. It kept me from spending cash on coffee and pastries, so it helped me avoid unnecessary calories too, since that was my other usual activity when I was waiting for them. 

Our public library system is one of my favourite things about my city. It's awesome. I confess, though, that I have a lot of overdue fines right now, so it hasn't been absolutely free. In my defense, my local branch was undergoing renovations and I never seemed to make it to the next nearest branch to drop off books. I consider my fines to be a donation to the cause so I never feel bad about them. I figure it's still way less expensive than buying books.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

Our library offers children's programming that allows a fair amount of activity for children. I recall my kids participating in a robot-building workshop, exploring Shakespeare by re-enacting sword-play scenes and comic hide-and-seek in the "forest", and making puppets, to name a few. They also attended traditional storytimes and author visits too. Hopefully, your library offers similar programs. Looking at your signature, your children may be still a little young for some of the organized activities, but maybe not for too much longer. Hang in there. Rachelsmama's suggestion to use the hold system is a terrific idea too. 

I also just wanted to say a word of appreciation about the amazing librarians we have. They are dedicated, knowledgeable and caring. They have been a wonderful resource my children and me. 

#10 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 AM

One of our local libraries has museum passes that you can check out. They have a family pass for the children's museum, the natural history museum, the zoo, the botanical garden and others so you can go to these places for free! You can't reserve these so you just get lucky if they happen to be in when you go but it is a wonderful thing and has given our family an opportunity to do things that we might not get to do otherwise.

I have to add a disclaimer that I was a librarian before I became a stay at home mom and hope to go back when my kids are older, but I love libraries so much. I really encourage everyone to take advantage of what your nearby library has to offer. We go every week.

The newest thing that our library offers is magazines that I can dowload onto my Kindle. I can sit in the pickup line at school and read free magazines. There are hundreds of them. All totally free!

And Overdrive totally works on the Kindle so you can download ebooks and they return automatically on this device as well.

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page