Anyone use Credo Mobile? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If yes, how do you like the service?

I've been considering switching for a while.  (In December they offered two free phones but we didn't switch.  I want to check it out and be ready to switch if another offer comes up.)

I searched previous threads but they were all several years old.

TIA

eta:  The main thing holding me back is that everyone I know uses Verizon so we have the Verizon-to-Verizon free calls now.

#2 of 11 Old 02-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I have had Credo for years and they really have fantastic customer service.  No issues at all on that and I have had some weird issues pop up.  Also I think they use the SPrint network which for my area is the best.  The Verizon network tended to have more spots with no reception (I live in a kind of rural mountainous area). 

#3 of 11 Old 02-12-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  Its good to know about their customer service.  Is their customer service located in the US?  (I couldn't find that info on their website.)

In our area, Verizon has better coverage...but Credo's looks alright too - good enough for our usage.

eta:

Wow...Their service is good!   I sent an email and received an immediate response.  In case anyone is interested:
We have customer service agents in Shawnee, OK and San Francisco, CA.

#4 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 AM

I currently work as a Tech Support agent for Credo mobile. Our customer service is location in Oklahoma. Our corporate offices are in California and our Tech Support center is currently in Washington St. We are an MVNO of sprint meaning we piggy back off of their network. Check out  sprint.com/coverage to see if you have good area coverage.

#5 of 11 Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 AM

We have used Credo for 2 years with no issues. I like that they adhere more closely to our political views than other carriers. But we are contemplating switching because we really want iPhones. That's really our only complaint. We live in a large metro area but coverage has been fine most places we go (with the exception of our house! But none of our friends get decent reception here either.) 

that said, I don't think we save money over using another carrier. ymmv. 

#6 of 11 Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

We have used Credo for 2 years with no issues. I like that they adhere more closely to our political views than other carriers. But we are contemplating switching because we really want iPhones. That's really our only complaint. We live in a large metro area but coverage has been fine most places we go (with the exception of our house! But none of our friends get decent reception here either.) 

that said, I don't think we save money over using another carrier. ymmv. 

Thanks.

I didn't think we would save money (just didn't know which forum to put this in) but thought it might cost about the same. 

We are considering switching mostly because of their support of political issues we tend to support.  I am not sure if I first heard about them via online petitions (there are so many!) or their advertisements in Mother Jones.  I do not know anyone IRL who uses their services.

Strangely, we are hesitant because we like our old very basic phones and do not really want to switch to smart phones (and do not care for the two basic phones they offer).  We use the phones strictly for calling  - no texting, internet, etc.

It might be more practical to just find a less expensive carrier and donate the savings.

#7 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 AM

I think prepaid/no-contract could potentially be more cost-effective for you. Although I priced it out and 2 phones vs phone & family plan on a regular carrier doesn't seem to be a significantly better deal, but maybe I'm missing something. 

#8 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

I think prepaid/no-contract could potentially be more cost-effective for you. Although I priced it out and 2 phones vs phone & family plan on a regular carrier doesn't seem to be a significantly better deal, but maybe I'm missing something. 

Thanks for the suggestion...I never considered prepaid phones but I will look into it.

We have been very lazy about our wireless service and have paid too much over the years.  We've used Verizon forever. (Long enough that my first mobile phone was a plug in the car bag phone - around 1990).   We've gotten our price down over the years and currently pay ~$125/month.   We use almost no chargeable minutes; most of our minutes are not counted since they are Verizon to Verizon but I am afraid to go to the lowest minute plan.  We did that years ago and went over the minutes two months and it cost a fortune in per/minute charges.

#9 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I have VirginMobile and total unlimited (minutes/text/web) is $55 month.   I need to get DS a phone with text and he would be $30 or so (he does NOT need unlimited as he has a tracfone with minutes)  I've been with Virgin for years and never had a problem.  I don't care for the 'kid friendly' customer service but most everything can be done online.  I have a smart phone type thing and coverage is good.  I live in PHX and have traveled cross country.   Not to mention Target runs sales on the phones, I can use my target card and RX rewards and save an additional 10% on the phone...  I'm sold!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#10 of 11 Old 10-27-2013, 03:50 PM

I spent about an hour on the phone with a sales person, who told me I'd get a big discount for the first several months. We walked through the services I wanted, and he convinced me I'd save a  lot of money. Then the bill arrived. Right away, I saw a problem: the big discount I was going to get only applied to a small part of the bill, not the whole thing. It amounted to a piddly little joke. I called, and the sales person basically blew me off. "Too bad, so sad, have a nice day." Later, my wife went to Canada, and racked up $30 in data overages on our so-called unlimited data plan. When I had asked CREDO about this before she went, I was told not to worry about it, it was covered, Surprise! It's not! Screwed again! Eventually I compared what I was spending on AT&T to CREDO, and realized I wasn't really saving any money, and since all they do is resell Sprint, part of my money is still going to fund the conservatives.

#11 of 11 Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I did sign up for Credo.

It's been alright but we have had two issues too:

I gave the name of someone who was supposed to get $$ for a referral, but they said they couldn't find her as a customer.

I was given a discount, then minutes after signing up I rec'd an email with a better discount so I asked for the better discount.  After talking with several customer support people I was told I would get the better discount.  Well...two invoices later and several calls and emails to customer service I still am not getting the better discount.    I need to call them again...but I do not feel like dealing with it.

According to Credo, Sprint is politically neutral.  But I haven't verified that comment.

So we are not completely unhappy with Credo; but we are not thrilled either.  We had a certain amount of time to cancel before the contract kicked in but I cannot remember how long.  Now that I broke my 20+ year relationship with Verizon, I figure it will be much easier to leave Credo if I am not happy.

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page