Getting out of Debt in March 2013 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post

Chocked off part of a goal for this month- reduced our home phone cost by half by converting to ATT Uverse. Now onto reducing cell phone fees. The Mr. Money Mustache articles are great, although they have profanity every now and then.

I love mr. money mustashes no nonsense attitude to frugality and money =) Best thing his blog taught me was BIKE.

*edited because I posted a different response meant for somewhere else

#32 of 54 Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I got a call from the HR department at the school I was considering. Turns out my salary would be $10,000 less than I make now, I would have to drive an hour to get to work, and I wouldn't get paid during the summer. I am going to turn down that job and keep looking for something closer to home and hopefully better pay. Ugh. Looking for work is hard work.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#33 of 54 Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am right there with you lilac. The job that I applied for last week - they filled it - they never even called me and I was perfectly qualified :(

The job at my DS potential new school hasn't been posted yet so I can't even apply - might have even gone to an internal candidate for all I know - just hasn't shown up on the website. So I wait on that one.

Good luck at finding a better job closer to home!

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 228/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012) Ramsey's BS1 $455.31
#34 of 54 Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 PM

Work Comp doctor wrote me off work for 4-8 weeks. I hope the payments on work comp are comparable to what I normally earn. On the plus side, better now then when were locked into a mortgage payment, right.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#35 of 54 Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 AM

Hope your back gets better soon. I keep having a runny nose and coughing. It is annoying.  Just want it to go away!

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#36 of 54 Old 03-22-2013, 06:24 PM

Yes! Finally got my tax money back, so now my EF is up to four thousand!!! I am totally stoked about that, even though I have been, how we say, not so frugal lately. I think I'm just bored of this long ass snowy winter, so I buy stuff to a.) Have something to do and b.) make myself feel better. So, I put a big chunk of refund into savings, having the suspension done on my car, and filling the oil tank (hopefully for the last time this season), and that is that. We are coming into busy restaurant season, and I should be able to bank a couple more thousand this summer. I was hoping to get my big EF up to ten grand by year's end, but that is seeming like wishful thinking at this point. Also working on building some good credit, because we need to buy a house within the next couple years. Our lease is coming up and I think our land Lord wants to sell soon. By the time we move we will have been paying rent here for 4 years and paid 64800.00, crazy right? Anyhow, sorry for the ramble. Hope everyone is feeling better soon, and best wishes for the job searches smile.gif
#37 of 54 Old 03-23-2013, 03:28 PM

Would love to join up here, hope I can stay on top of this. I am newly pregnant which was planned and we even waited longer to make sure we were doing well financially! Then DH was laid off. Lucky for us, his parents offered us some help and we are moving into a great situation-- almost $200 less in rent. Although the area is less than desirable and I would have really loved to stay where we are (I can walk to the store/park, awesome grocery stores and shopping nearby and *not* being close to the inlaws!) but I am trying to make the best of it. ;)

Pre-Step 1: Get current on your debts and do a budget
0.1 No new borrowing. <== This is a challenge for us, especially being pregnant. I want to buy stuff.
0.2 Talk with spouse and get him/her on the same page as you concerning finances. <== Another challenge. We get into over money constantly.
0.3 Do a written budget <== Please post where I can download a good budget, we are using mint.com but it's not helping much.
0.4 Temporarily stop all retirement contributions <== Done. Hubs lost his job. Hoping to roll over to IRA and use that as emergency fund.
0.5 Get current on all the basics (Shelter, Food, Utilities, Basic clothing) <== We are current right now, thank ye gods. We are having trouble buying quality food and clothing went on a CC.
0.6 Amputate "toys" (bikes, boats, ATV's etc) to help snowball <== Ha. Never had any to begin with! We don't really do vacations either, mostly just local dinner dates.
0.7 Cut lifestyle (Cut cable, cell, extras, eating out) and/or get a second job to raise $1000 EF.  <== Considering the cable going back on as DirectTV is giving us a year free with contract!
0.8 Get current on ALL bills <== Thank goodness, this isn't an issue.

BS1 $1,000 to start an Emergency Fund
1.1 Chop up/freeze CC's (You have an EF now) <== Easy. Only issue is, at dept. stores I always have them "look up" my card when I purchase things knowing full well I shouldn't.
1.2 Get Health insurance NOW if in the US <== Hopefully approved for medical. ;(
1.3 Get Life insurance NOW if you have considerable debt/your family couldn't make it financially if you died. <== Scary thought but good idea.
1.4 Amputate cars that you can't pay off within 24 months <== Trying to sell off a car that we refinanced in order to pay off credit cards. What were we thinking!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#38 of 54 Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 PM

i want to thank you guys for keeping me on track. I haven't posted but read all the other posts. I have paid off my car :) i am almost half way to my emerancy fund. all i have left to pay off is my SL less than 2K. According to the budget i have done I should have 200/month extra after bills and am using it for the EF. I have been guilty of purchasing some stuff not budgeted for but I keep telling myself it is ok since i have some extra. :(

My goal is to payoff this SL by next jan what i don't have paid off will get paid with what ever my refund is next yr.

#39 of 54 Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A little update on me:

I did my taxes online a week ago and I should be getting back more than I did last year!

I'm not sure how to budget it but I'll be paying on at least one debt and getting caught up with the mortgage a bit.

Beyond that, having my emergency fund is helping me to breathe a little bit easier. I'm not to the point where I don't have to touch it during the month yet though.

I've also been staying on budget for the most part so this month has already been so much better than last month! Now to find a job that doesn't cost so much in gas...

How is everyone? Hope you're well. Happy holidays if you're celebrating.

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#40 of 54 Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 PM

Tilly,

In regards to the cable, I'd run for the hills, I think. ....I tend to be skeptical of any free hook to get you to sign a contract. It's obviously benefitting them in the long-run, or else they wouldn't do it.

We don't have cable, but DH finally broke me and I approved $8/mo for Netflix. Is that an option for your family? ....or TV-free or library DVDs?

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#41 of 54 Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 PM

Thank you for pointing that obvious fact out and this is EXACTLY what I told DH. I don't want a contract on anything right now. I'm pretty pissed we made a deal with my sister for the cell phone family plan because now we are broke again and might have trouble paying. Ugh and you have to with a contract!!!

We have Netflix but I'm considering canceling. I think I'll just keep it. There selection sucks compare to when Stars was still with them. We also got a roku player as a gift and it's great but mostly for unsavory programming. Like aweful YouTube videos of ppl planking. No actual value in any of the channels that are free. The thing crashes constantly and we pretty much only use it for Netflix.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#42 of 54 Old 03-30-2013, 03:22 AM

We spent $400 on an external high def antenna last fall because Dh wanted tv and I didn't want a contract. We get about 30 different channels with all the major networks. I like it.

#43 of 54 Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 AM
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We use Hulu plus here. One sister has an account and we share it. I think for her its $9/month. Eventually we'll split the bill so $3/month. Problem is that we have yet to cancel cable so there's another $200 and an account that we have still. I'm not a netflix fan either mainly for their selection

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#44 of 54 Old 03-30-2013, 01:19 PM

My DH refuses to get rid of our Dish package. It's like $120 a month. I'm not even a big tv watcher, but he is, especially sports. So he pays for it. I don't know how to get around it- it's frustrating because we're broke, but paying $500 a month for cell phones, satellite tv, and internet. It's like beating my head against a wall, but he won't budge. Meanwhile we have $5.12 in our EF. IF we get a tax refund (may have to pay in)-then any refund will start the EF.

First time mama to baby Easton born on 6/21/13!

#45 of 54 Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tilly, Netflix has a thing where you can put your service on hold for a month without paying. You can do this as often as you need to.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#46 of 54 Old 03-31-2013, 12:02 AM

Easter has turned out to be really expensive, ugh.... I hate that every holiday turns into such an added expense when you have kids. I went to five stores today trying to find baskets and everyone was sold out. I ended up spending $17 on three baskets and another $20 on stuff to fill it. All of this came out of my EF as my work comp payment is still MIA. At least I go back to work on Monday and can start earning a wage again.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#47 of 54 Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Trekkin Girl,  In general holidays always cause a bit of extra expense.  And hassle!  Memories of these things are good for kids, though.  I am not really sure what you mean by buying baskets, because maybe you buy filled ones?   But I wanted to be on record for admitting that for all of my 14 years of mothering, I have simply gone into my shelves, emptied out some baskets I use for storage (bought at yard sales) and used them for Easter baskets.  My kids use them to collect their eggs (plastic ones purchased years ago and washed and reused every Easter).  The eggs are filled with Annies bunny graham crackers, Annies bunny cheddar crackers (on sale this week!), a single box of trader joes jelly beans.  A couple of Snickers in the egg shape and some homemade hot cross buns (with grated orange and lemon peel instead of citron) pretty much round out the morning.  At the end of the day (or week, or whenever), the eggs get rewashed and stored again, the baskets just go back to their usual spot.  And my kids have not eaten too much junk. 

I determined a long time ago NOT to cave into the crazy holiday thing of massive buying and junk food eating but still make things special.  It is possible to move away from the expense a bit.  Not too far because if you go too far, it just isn't special.  But you can definitely strike a happy medium.  A friend of mine always made a bunny cake for Easter -- it was simply a matter of cutting a regular rectagular cake into pieces for a square head and triangular ears and frosting it.  The kids love that!  Especially because they don't regularly get sweets. 

But I feel for you: sometimes it is so hard to try to do the good mama thing and still stay on a very tight budget.

#48 of 54 Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 PM

I do usually reuse these things for Easter and also the same type of deal for Christmas but since we have been living out of our RV for the last  18 months all these things are in storage. No shelves with baskets here. I have learned the hard way that sometimes not having a real place to live is more expensive then having a place. We lost many of our belongings to a field mice infestation at our last storage unit so I may not have Easter stuff there anymore?

#49 of 54 Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I am sorry,  I have struggled for a long time knowing that I can't provide my kids with what other kids have.  Although seeing what other people buy and knowing their incomes, I am pretty sure that in many ways they are worse off than us (and seeing that abandoned/foreclosed homes seems to be increasing again seems to confirm my belief).  And while I live in a very small house with almost no storage, I know it isn't as small as an rv.  I had to get rid of a  lot of our belongings to live where I do as well.  But it is still home and we are still a family and in the end, even my teenager appreciates that and knows it to be true.  And so will your kids.

#50 of 54 Old 04-01-2013, 03:20 PM

redface.gif

#51 of 54 Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 PM

I got another call for a job interview this morning.  I am so excited. It is to teach chemistry at a math and science magnet school in a town 30 minutes away.  I would totally love doing that!  Chemistry was my undergraduate major in college. I loved doing research and "pushing back the frontiers of ignorance" as my favorite professor would say. Interview is this Thursday, April 4 at 9:30 a.m. I hope I am feeling good that day.  The in vitro fertilization process this last weekend was intense - especially the egg retrieval. Saturday morning the doctor put back two healthy 4 cell embryos and now I am waiting to see if I am pregnant. The embryo transfer was easy and painless but the bed rest afterward was so boring. I plan to test on Sunday April 7 and I will be having a blood test Wednesday April 10 and 12 for my doctor.

#52 of 54 Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my goodness lilac! Fingers crossed for a sticky bean and for the job that sounds perfect to become yours!

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 228/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012) Ramsey's BS1 $455.31
#53 of 54 Old 04-02-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

It just dawned on me - this is a new month. I will throw up an April thread

#54 of 54 Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM

some how that made me think of puke!

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page