Getting out of Debt - April 2013 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 04-24-2013, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm so happy for you and your DH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Important baby items to me were my carrier, my boobs, cloth diapers, clothes, and a car seat. Everything else you don't really need. Although with twins you might want to get a swing or bouncy chair to keep one safe and occupied while you tend to the other. I would join a local freecycle group. I got most of my baby stuff on their for free. I would try to at least use cloth at home.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#32 of 41 Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Yep trekking girl that sounds about right. I would rather clothe diaper because once a day I can wash a load of them and I don't have them festering in a trash can for a week until trash pickup.

I love freeCycle. I give things away on there all the time. Great group around me too.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#33 of 41 Old 04-24-2013, 06:05 PM

Yep trekking girl that sounds about right. I would rather clothe diaper because once a day I can wash a load of them and I don't have them festering in a trash can for a week until trash pickup.

I love freeCycle. I give things away on there all the time. Great group around me too.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#34 of 41 Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 PM

So much exciting stuff! Twins, interviews, private school, paying off bills. Congrats everyone!

I don't post all that often. This month hasn't been the greatest. We some how managed to blow through our EF. Ugh. The good news is that I just paid our very last daycare expense! Yay! That will free up 25% of my income. Even though its been a rough month, I think we're finally on the other side of our financial woes. Child care is a huge drag. This year we paid $2k towards debt and I want to continue paying it off.

Kate~ Mama to two.
#35 of 41 Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 PM

I really want to buy the house. DH isn't sure we should. The mortgage is $2036 per month. Our debt is about $650 per month minimum payments. $200 ins $90 phone plus maybe $300 for utilities. After tax we bring home about $4800. This would leave about $1400 to live on. DH says the numbers don't add up for him....too close for comfort. He said he'll sign if it's what I really want. I think we should try and if it doesn't work out we should get a room mate until we can refi the house and pay off the debt. It's a 5 bedroom 4 bath with two master bedrooms. Plenty of space. Before I decide anything I need to make sure that there isn't extensive water damage in the bathrooms. The inspection came up with a few issues there.

As of now we are supposed to be getting seller closing costs and state down payment assistance. So the 11k we have saved plus selling the RV could pay off a huge chunk of the debt we've been sitting on waiting to buy the house. I'm not sure what I should do. DH says he doesn't want another room mate. We had one for five years.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#36 of 41 Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

I really want to buy the house. DH isn't sure we should. The mortgage is $2036 per month. Our debt is about $650 per month minimum payments. $200 ins $90 phone plus maybe $300 for utilities. After tax we bring home about $4800. This would leave about $1400 to live on. DH says the numbers don't add up for him....too close for comfort. He said he'll sign if it's what I really want. I think we should try and if it doesn't work out we should get a room mate until we can refi the house and pay off the debt. It's a 5 bedroom 4 bath with two master bedrooms. Plenty of space. Before I decide anything I need to make sure that there isn't extensive water damage in the bathrooms. The inspection came up with a few issues there.

As of now we are supposed to be getting seller closing costs and state down payment assistance. So the 11k we have saved plus selling the RV could pay off a huge chunk of the debt we've been sitting on waiting to buy the house. I'm not sure what I should do. DH says he doesn't want another room mate. We had one for five years.

You need to ask yourself a few questions:

- How much are the groceries going to take out of that $1400 left over each month?

- What about other ongoing expenses like clothing or school supplies? Do you have a dedicated category for these expenses?

- Do you have money set aside for any renovations or unexpected issues with the house?

- How long are you going to be paying off that $650 per month debt for? Once that is gone, it's $650 freed up for other expenses / savings.

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#37 of 41 Old 04-26-2013, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

trekkingirl - no advice, what loveourbabies said makes a lot of sense though I think.  

Congrats goldfishkate on making the last daycare payment for your kiddos. I am about to start paying into the world of daycare and dread the added expense.

My interviews earlier this week went well. The Monday one was for a per diem job in another part of the agency I already work for - I got an offer with them. Yea! But it's going to be very part time - so still hoping another job comes through.

Tuesday interview also went well but no acceptance - I got the usual response- we need to check references - finish interviewing candidates etc.....

I have one more interview on this coming Monday, glad for that.

In the meantime, I have $1 in my checking account to last me 7 days (glad I have gas $$ set aside) and a second private school tuition payment looming.  I trust that it will all work out but man oh man............. the anxiety around it all!!!

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 181/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012)
#38 of 41 Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Orangemomma, glad to hear your interview went well. I hope the best job becomes apparent to you very soon.

AFM, I had a skype interview last night for a job in Memphis, Tn. This morning I got an offer to work there. Now I need to consider with my husband if it is the right move for us. Not many job opps for DH, housing is expensive, crime is high.

#39 of 41 Old 05-03-2013, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I started a thread for May - no throw ups this time. LOL

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 181/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012)
#40 of 41 Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 PM

What helps with budgeting a lot i've noticed is having an app on your phone for that purpose. I use mint.com to track all finances for our family and it send alerts too and tracks your goals. really helpful tool for budgeting.

#41 of 41 Old 05-10-2013, 05:04 PM

welcome janina come join us in the may debt thread

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1382742/getting-out-of-debt-may-2013/20#post_17354035

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page