What are your weirdest money-saving tips? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 05-18-2013, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Autistic children are more likely to be abused than non autistic children.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#32 of 41 Old 05-18-2013, 12:36 PM

http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/autism-safety-project/sexual-abuse

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#33 of 41 Old 05-18-2013, 12:36 PM

Dp

#34 of 41 Old 05-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Double post

#35 of 41 Old 05-30-2013, 07:48 AM
PJJ

I also count the toilet paper and only flush after 2 pees. 

I use vinegar all the time for all sorts of cleaning.

I use brown paper bags for hair curlers.

Sometimes while waiting for the shower to get hot, I place a bowl to catch the water and then use it for my plants outside that need watering.  -)

PJJ

pumabearclan likes this.
#36 of 41 Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Recycle everything possible

Don't buy garbage bags (use grocery bags)

Get meds on auto-fill so they are refilled every 25 days (county insurance)

I'm a coupon-a-holic 

I've stopped sending presents and gifts to all adults in the family.  THis year I am sending cards to soften the blow, next year I'm totally hard core again.  My kid and my sis's new baby are the only 'kids'  My kid rarely gets presents and the new 'baby' won't be getting much this year.  So far my sis had a baby shower, a welcome home gathering, a christening coming up,  I can't send stuff for all that.  I live across the country.  There are 13 yrs between these kids... sorry.  I use amazon and send off one book per 'event'.  usually under $5.

I use the library for everything. Books, movies, cd's, digital downloads etc.

I've stopped swapping.  Can't afford the postage.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#37 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)

I've said before, but when I find something I like I buy lots of them, such as shoes, pants, food storage, etc. Then as the dollar tanks and quality declines over the coming decades and in the case of any income shortages, I have what I need. I haven't bought shoes in almost 10 years. I bought half my shoes when they were $80 a pair & bought 5 more pairs when they went on sale; now comparable shoes from the same brand cost $140 and we've been putting our cash to other uses over the past decade.

Additionally, for everything I buy I have the criteria to buy whatever will last the longest. Many things I've bought I expect never to replace in my lifetime.

Doing things by hand and eliminating, eliminating! No separate shampoos, hand soaps, face soaps, special lotions, special clothing, makeup,etc.

Also CRON: eating 300-500 calories less than the US recommendations. (Make sure you track your nutrition on this plan!)

We don't socialize around food; we found that entertaining, pot lucks, and restaurants were wasteful and expensive. We socialize around cultural events and physical recreation.

"Fix it up,

wear it out,

make it do,

do without"

#38 of 41 Old 06-11-2013, 08:30 AM

I buy the large packs of cheap face cloths (like 10 for $3.00) at walmart, cut them in half and use them as reuseable toilet paper.  Also, I try to get the fruits and veggies that are not good enough to sell at the grocery store for free (I tell them they are for my animals) and just either cut them up and keep the good parts to use, freeze or puree and freeze for smoothies and sauces.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#39 of 41 Old 06-12-2013, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I've been keeping my watering can in my kitchen sink and using it to catch any "extra" water or water from boiling pasta or steaming veggies or the like and using it to water my garden.  I take it out in the evening to water when I go out to dump the compost on the pile.

pumabearclan likes this.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#40 of 41 Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 PM

We use floss more than once. Before you say ick, think about. You don't throw your tooth brush out after one use. Doesn't seem any different to me.

#41 of 41 Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 PM

I dont know how many of these are "weird" so i'm just going to include whatever i can think of:

We only have one cell phone.

We dont own a car, instead we walk or ride the bus.

I use empty yogurt cups for food storage.

I used to buy organic but i dont anymore and i've found that, most of the time, the quality of the food doesnt taste or feel that different at all.

Bought our mattresses off of craiglist and simply disinfected them before use.

We use craigslist and freecycle for odds and ends, like clothing, appliances, toys, etc.

Also, if micah mae is still reading this thread then i hope you've reported your friend's husband by now. I dont know how you can rationalize it or how your friend can because taking lewd pictures of a little girl is beyond despicable. Even if he hasnt touched anyone, that is certainly bad enough. He knew he could get away with it so he did it. Just imagine if there comes a time when he gets away with something similar again or worse. The man clearly is disturbed, a lot of people here have pleaded with you to make the call, i am another one. You dont have to give your name and it doesnt necessarily mean he'll get arrested. It simply means there will be an investigation and if they find him to be a threat to children then they will help keep kids safe.

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page