Anyone else stressing out about how they are going to afford health insurance? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 08-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

texas has decided not to expand the Medicaid.so I think I will wait it out and see what happens next yr

#32 of 57 Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I found this calculator for Colorado ... http://www.connectforhealthco.com/let-us-help/individuals-families/calculators-individuals-families/

#33 of 57 Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I don't know anything about the medicaid expansion as I haven't heard anything in my state yet...But a friend did just pass this site to me to get health insurance it seems cheaper than you would if you went thru insurance places themselves...When I got a quote from my insurance company it was through the roof insane for what you actually got but more than 1/2 less thru this site for the same coverage...Wonder why they can do that...Not fair at all to people to charge more just because you can...

ensurance.org

I found a plan that will work for me and little bit for under $100 a month that I plan on purchasing at income tax time for the year...all well care is covered 100% plus you get so many visits a year with a copay..Your deductible can be higher and copays for precriptions can go up to $40 but with the $4-10 walmart plan I hope to ride around that...

Hope this will work for us until I go full time and can get benifits through my employer....

#34 of 57 Old 09-01-2013, 11:32 AM

We are paying $1200/month of our $3000/month income in premiums for employer sponsored insurance. That's for three of us. It sucks, however, I have thyroid cancer and our son is only 10 months. So insurance is a necessity. We make too much to qualify for any kind of aid in Texas. It's incredibly stressful.
#35 of 57 Old 09-01-2013, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm not particularly worried.  We are currently on Tricare Prime and hope to be able to channel money into playing for Tricare Reserve when my husband's orders are up.  It seems the most reasonable and affordable for us.  We do qualify for Medicaid.  I'm more worried about upcoming years.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#36 of 57 Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have great hopes for CA. I was laid off this week and COBRA is around $1700/month for our family. I was paying over $700/month plus the endless copays and 20%s while employed for a very good plan. We don't have any particular health needs other than three kids and a totally unwillingness not to carry excellent insurance. Any of the available plans will be much cheaper than private market insurance. 

Has anyone seen what kind of income qualifies as "income"? Unemployment insurance? Unearned income?

#37 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

That's the big question for us, Judi, and you've reminded me that our call centers are open.  Differences in counting income is what led us to being kicked off subsidized health, but able to retain Medicaid for my daughters.  The WA basic health plan counted inheritance, DSHS strictly counted earnings. 

So, I'm going to be interested how this is going to work.  We have a rental house we were unable to sell when we moved to our long-time property.  We are self-employed, so our gross income is much larger than our net income.  I'm guessing it will be based off what your taxable income ends up being--that is my hope, and it's time to find out.  The lead-up information has been less than informative for the average person.

Our WA call centers are supposed to be open now, how about CA and other states?

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#38 of 57 Old 09-09-2013, 04:51 AM

no call centers open for here til oct. hoping to find a plan that will not be too much.

#39 of 57 Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 PM

Washington State call centers and website will not open until Oct. 1http://www.wahbexchange.org/

Heidi
#40 of 57 Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post

Washington State call centers and website will not open until Oct. 1http://www.wahbexchange.org/

Further down the same page in your link it states that call centers open Sept. 3rd.  Enrollment begins Oct.1.  I still haven't called.  Need to..  Thanks for posting the link.

#41 of 57 Old 09-13-2013, 04:50 PM

The call centers open but will only be able to answer limited questions. The best way to sign up etc is via the website. I know this because last week, I was on Townhall meeting on King 5 and spent many hours off camera discussing this very issue. 

Heidi
#42 of 57 Old 09-23-2013, 05:04 PM

I decided against getting insurance. I'll take the $95 per person penalty. I haven't been to a conventional doctor in 14 years. If I need something done I'll pay cash. I'm cool with socialized healthcare. If it cost me $25/month! But I can't afford an extra $300 a month for something I never use. I'm also self employed. 

#43 of 57 Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 PM

mlins, that is probably what we are going to do. I'm in CA and it will be 270ish for ONLY my dh, and the plan isn't good IMO. Like I said before, if I wanted it for me, too, and/or ds2, then it would be about the same cost, but I have much better insurance through work, and ds2 has full coverage at no cost through my ex. We cannot afford the 270.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#44 of 57 Old 09-24-2013, 06:50 PM

We're without health insurance now and I'm considering staying this way and paying the fines. But every time I mention to someone that we don't have health insurance, they act as though I'm playing Russian roulette with our lives. I want to be responsible but it feels like there are so few choices-- pay a ton for coverage that we most likely won't use or risk ending up in enormous debt if we have any sort of medical disaster. I've also been looking more carefully at the plans available to us- none of them provide pregnancy/birth coverage. You can buy supplemental coverage, but it doesn't kick in until the third year, and it doesn't cover home birth or midwife care. Argh!!! I hate to say this, but there's a lot of incentive to stay below the poverty line. With my son, Medicaid covered 100% of prenatal care, home birth, and infant care. Now we're looking at spending $5000 (or much much more if there are any complications) for prenatal care and birth, simply because our income increased slightly. Sorry- rant over. I just get so frustrated with this whole system. I had much higher hopes for Obamacare. greensad.gif
Backroads likes this.

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#45 of 57 Old 09-24-2013, 07:35 PM

Another reason why we're planning a home birth. 

#46 of 57 Old 09-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlins3109 View Post

I decided against getting insurance. I'll take the $95 per person penalty. I haven't been to a conventional doctor in 14 years. If I need something done I'll pay cash. I'm cool with socialized healthcare. If it cost me $25/month! But I can't afford an extra $300 a month for something I never use. I'm also self employed. 
Is it 95 a month?
#47 of 57 Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a CNN article explaining the penalties.  

#48 of 57 Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 AM

The latest I found was $95 for 2014, $395 in 2015, and $595 in 2016. I'm hoping by 2015 the law will have changed.

#49 of 57 Old 09-29-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

If your son qualifies for Medicaid, it is likely you should qualify as well under the new plan. 

???  I don't really know the details.

Anyhow, Medicaid is being expanded to include adults.

Sunrise, that is insane.  We are a self-employed family, and we don't even make that much per month.

DO you have any information on the medicaid expansion for adults? My kids get medical through xdh but the copays bite and I have a crappy individual plan while i am in college, wonder if this will affect me and/or the kiddos?

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#50 of 57 Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post

DO you have any information on the medicaid expansion for adults? My kids get medical through xdh but the copays bite and I have a crappy individual plan while i am in college, wonder if this will affect me and/or the kiddos?

http://www.advisory.com/Daily-Briefing/Resources/Primers/MedicaidMap

Things are more complicated than they seemed when I posted that.  Here is a nice map to get an overview of which states are or are not expanding Medicaid, who is on the fence, etc.  I didn't notice when the information on the map was posted.  I'll check to see if this is current information.  With open enrollment beginning tomorrow, you'd think the states that are waffling would need to have figured this out by now.  

ETA: this map was posted Sept 17 this year, so..... I guess it's the most current info?

In the meantime, if anyone has any updates on the info for your state vs. what is represented on this map, please post.

I'm glad this thread has been useful to folks.  I'll keep posting as well as we start the enrollment process.

#51 of 57 Old 09-30-2013, 03:37 PM

Colorado's largest expansion seems to be covering more pregnant women, but honestly good luck finding a hcp who will take it. It took me dozens of calls to find one after I had my miscarriage a few years ago and the *only* reason I was able to continue using her after she changed practices is because I was already her patient and they let it slide because they were not accepting any new clients. 

I was informed by our pedi denist's secretary last time that they could not take any more new medicaid patients, including my youngest dd who hadn't been seen yet.

And our family physician only reluctantly took it because we've been going there so long.

#52 of 57 Old 09-30-2013, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Colorado's largest expansion seems to be covering more pregnant women, but honestly good luck finding a hcp who will take it. It took me dozens of calls to find one after I had my miscarriage a few years ago and the *only* reason I was able to continue using her after she changed practices is because I was already her patient and they let it slide because they were not accepting any new clients. 

I was informed by our pedi denist's secretary last time that they could not take any more new medicaid patients, including my youngest dd who hadn't been seen yet.

And our family physician only reluctantly took it because we've been going there so long.

This is the problem I've had in AZ.  State insurance is great unless you actually need to use it.  Finding a provider is difficult at best.  Then finding a qualified provider (who you actually want to see??  not gonna happen).   Urgent cares are fiilled with state benefit recipients waiting to be seen and the ER is filled as well.  Why??  because no one has a PCP!  Why doesn't anyone have a PCP?  Because no PCP's are taking new clients with state insurance.  

AZ is expanding AHCCCS to cover single adults (ahcccs is az medicaid).  I was told this at my last recertification appointment for medical and foodstamps (last week).

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#53 of 57 Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 AM

Anyone looked at the exchanges yet? The cheapest plan I found for our family was around $650 a month with a $10,000 deductible and I couldn't really figure out exactly what that would pay for. It looked like 50%. The lowest deductibles were closer to $1600 a month. I had looked at Humana One before but they are no longer operating medical in our state. That plan would have let us see our current doctors. I tried to look up providers for the plans offered and they were a bunch of pdf files with no order to them whatsoever.

Not that it matters... based on the expansion of medicaid we will probably continue to qualify for a long time to come. And I think as long as we qualify for medicaid we can not qualify for the tax credits to purchase private insurance right??? So hopefully we won't get dropped from our current practices.

#54 of 57 Old 10-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

NY States health care exchange website went up and then down today because it could not handle the hits (2mil in 2hrs); ha!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#55 of 57 Old 10-01-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRise View Post

NY States health care exchange website went up and then down today because it could not handle the hits (2mil in 2hrs); ha!

WA state's seems to have experienced some gliches as well.  I'm waiting a couple of weeks before I attempt anything.  

#56 of 57 Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I heard yesterday that the exchange for small businesses in IL is delayed. Need to check that out. DH and kids are OK on his insurance, but they upped the premiums a lot if you keep the spouse (me) on. I will be looking at getting my own through my business through the exchange. Need to do the research, though!

PS Of course, it's anyone's choice to go without health insurance, but we have always kept some kind, even cheap, catastrophic-only because anyone can get into a car accident, be suddenly diagnosed with a chronic or serious illness, etc. We have seen it happen over and over.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#57 of 57 Old 10-03-2013, 05:03 PM

Don't stress, it's not too hard.

I've done quite a bit of research into the new Affordable Care Act as it relates to Washington State. If you go to this site http://www.wahealthplanfinder.org/ and fill in the information, you can find out the cost of the various plans available. The cost is on a sliding scale. The less you earn, the less the premium. I was doing my calculations based on insuring one person, so my results won't help you much.

If you need help, be sure and contact the support line. 1-855-923-4633

Hope this helps.

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page