May No Spend Challenge~~ May the SAVING flowers bloom for you!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a support thread to help you not spend your money.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be April 1st. Now is a good time to start.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here and record your spending.

We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

c. How you plan to get there

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

a.  I'm Jenn, homeschooling SAHM to 6 kiddos.

b.  We're on track to being debt free.  We've been s-l-o-w-l-y progressing on it, it seems as though each time we take 2 steps forward, we also need to take 3 steps back irked.gif But we're pressing on.  I would LOVE to have our CC debt paid off by the end of the year, but I'm not sure if that goal is too lofty or not.

c.  We're still working on controlling our spending shy.gif.  Our plan for the month:

~ STAY OUT OF STORES!!  This is our biggest $$ suck.  Our family can NOT go into a store for just 1 thing, we end up spending at least $100!!  We've been doing really well keeping this under control and we're going to continue to work on staying out of stores.

~  Cooking at home as much as possible.  DH and I need to sit down and re-evaluate our food budget.  Costs are going up, our kids are getting bigger, and I think I've been in denial about how much we *really* need.  More gardening will get done this month as long as the weather cooperates.

~  STICK TO THE BUDGET!!  Major "purchases" this month:  DH's summer tuition and our bulk meat order.

~  BE AWARE!!  We just need to be more aware of where our money is going.

I'll come back and edit for my goals this month.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

a. Who you are  Homeschooling mom of 2 girls.  We live in a rural area not too far from a small city.  DH is a professional gardener, I am a former gardener who picks up housecleaning jobs these days.  We've moved to our property and have rented the house we were unable to sell.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) Now that seasonal income is increasing, and taxes are over, returns are in, I can start thinking about what our financial plans are.  Short term: to pad our savings so that we can live off that in the winter without spending our core savings.  We also need to find income for health insurance, possibly, without too much financial pain.  Mid term: to finish our basement and get a woodstove down there.  Also, save to replace this car when the time comes.  Pie-In-the-sky:  Afford our neighbor's ten acres when they decide to sell.

c. How you plan to get there  Right now, not spend!  I need to pick up a couple more clients to increase our income.  We have a vegetable garden this year which hopefully will decrease our food bill this summer.  Summer always brings lower utilities as well (our well pump will keep it higher than I would like, though).  The girls are dropping gymnastics for the summer.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

a. Who you are

Hi, I am Ruth, mama to four kids, wife to my darling husband.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)

Pay off debt!!!!!!   We have a heap of debt acquired from our recent cross country move.  Moving costs will be reimbursed by dh's new job, but we are waiting on checks.  We are also getting a small check from the sale of the house, so we are in a good place to be debt free again by the end of the month.  That is my first big goal. 

The second goal is more long term.  We would like to buy a house again and will be saving a down payment. 

Ahhh...the hard part.  We need to spend less, much less.  We are living in a small duplex, we sold our second car and have cut back our spending so that we can live on 1/2 of our take home pay.  The rest goes to savings.

May is going to be awesome!

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

a. Who you are:  I'm Kathirynne, single, WOHM to 4 kids, the eldest two of whom are in college.  I always start these challenges really strong and then peter out, but I've had some recent experiences which would have been easier to maneuver through if my finances had been in better shape (not tragic things, just eye-opening ones).  Also, I checked my student loan balance, and it's MUCH less than I thought, so that was another motivator to really get serious about my budget and remove that particular millstone from my neck.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals):  In light of the above, I laid out some very specific goals this week end.

1) Fully functional washing machine and dryer  (I bought a new-to-me set from Craigslist.  I have to switch out the dryer cord, but I've been told that's not hard.  It feels so good to have this almost done!) - UPDATE:  My brother (the appliance guy) and my son switched out the dryer cord last night....over SKYPE! 

2) $1,500 emergency fund
3) Children fully kitted out for winter (Christmas gifts are included under this goal)

4) Fully stocked home (food, hygiene supplies, cleaning supplies, et cetera)

5) All monthly bills paid in full and on time

c. How you plan to get there:  My budget works on paper, so I just have to STICK. TO. THE. BUDGET.  To accomplish this, I will use the envelope system and put the debit card on ice (literally) so that when money is deposited into the savings account connected to the debit card, the money stays put and grows.

1 May: petrol - $10  thumb.gif

2 May

3 May: rent - $950 thumb.gif

4 May: groceries - $150 thumb.gif (a few things for the stockpile)

5 May

6 May

7 May

8 May

9 May

10 May

11 May: washer & dryer from Craigslist - $225 joy.gif

12 May

13 May: petrol - $20

14 May

15 May

16 May

17 May: power bill - $150 thumb.gif

18 May

19 May

20 May

21 May: car registration - $44

22 May

23 May

24 May

25 May

26 May

27 May

28 May

29 May

30 May

31 May

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 05-01-2013, 04:46 AM

In.  April was a bust.  But May is going to be MY month. 

01  $10 fast food, $120 rec soccer sign-ups

02  thumb.gif

03  thumb.gif

Old 05-01-2013, 06:11 AM

a. Who you are

I'm Ellen, single WOHM to DD (9) and DS (7).  Kids split time between my house and their dad's.  

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

I want to pay off my student loan as fast as possible (it's currently sitting a little under $32K) and get to a point where I don't rely on child support to pay my monthly expenses.

The next few months are going to be interesting for me.  The school I work at is a charter that currently operates under a for-profit company, but is going independent next year. This means new payroll company, which will cause an imbalance with paychecks over the summer, meaning I need to save up some money now to cover that transitional time so that I don't fall short (they are paying out a small bonus at the usual pay time, but it's not quite half of what my normal paycheck would be).  Anyway, the good thing is that I get an extra paycheck in May, so I need to save pretty much all of that, just to be safe.  I am also still waiting for a disability check from the time I had to take off work for my knee surgery.  If it weren't for that extra paycheck coming in May, I'd be totally freaked out by now.  So anyway, I plan to pay any money left in my account after the paycheck dealio to my student loan.  I'm also trying to make sure that I stay within my budget for food, gas, and miscellaneous.  I've struggled a bit with this in the last couple months because I have a new boyfriend who is super awesome, but manages the kitchen at a vegan restaurant and doesn't keep much food at his house.  What does that have to do with my budget?  Well, every time I go up there (he lives a little over an hour away from me), he usually is working some of that time and we go to the store to get dinner fixins, which turns into me spending money.  I need to be better about planning those meals and bringing food with me to eat when he's not there.  Great thing is that he is quitting his job at the end of June and taking July and August off and will be subject to my neurotic meal planning, as he's planning to stay with me for much of that time ;)  He also just wrote out a budget for himself, so I'm thinking we'll be on the same page with food frugality pretty soon anyway.  He's very frugal, but just has different spending habits regarding meals than I do.  I would like to have at least 20 no spend days this month.

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

Old 05-01-2013, 08:46 AM

a. My name is Danielle and I am a WOHM of 2, soon to be 3 (ds due mid August).

b. We need to pay off debt and set up some savings before dh retires from the military this fall. We were on the path to being debt free this summer, but my pt job hours have been cut back, sometimes pretty drastically (I was getting 30 hours per week, now sometimes under 20) because I work retail and the recession is hitting us hard right now.

c. I need to reassess the budget and frankly, just not spend money unless absolutely necessary. So far, the only non bill oriented spending besides food and gas for this month are an inspection for dh's car and the tags are also due. We are unsure if the car will pass the inspection, last time it was pretty close. If it doesn't we will be selling it and making due with one car. I won't be working after baby comes in August, and we are within walking distance of just about everything (library, groceries, thrift stores, mall) anyway, so apart from swimming lessons this summer it won't impact much. I also plan to sew some cloth diapers for ds, I will just need some covers. I have an awesome coworker that is giving me a double stroller and a bunch of clothes her son has outgrown, we already have a car seat and the Moby wrap I used with dd2 and I will be bf, so hopefully we are pretty much set.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 PM

Well, I am starting the month off with a wee bit of spending.  I found a terrific used bike for my son.  I also picked up a used bike helmet while at Goodwill.  

We almost have enough bikes.  My daughter is going to need one and I will be watching the local resale shops for a good one.  I have a set price that I am willing to pay and will certainly be buying used.  

May 1 -- used bike and helmet

May 2 

May 3

May 4

May 5

May 6

May 7

Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 PM

I'm a working mother of two that is trying to pay off my student loans and finish off our emergency fund as quick as possible.  I promised myself when I meet those two goals I can plan a family vacation.  I also need to save up some extra money because there are tons of birthdays in the summer in our family.  I want to be able to save up extra money to pay for these gifts by spending less on groceries, gas, and other variable bills instead of having to take the money away from our savings goals.

I forgot about starting this today.  I spent ten cents on a cup of ice water at work.  (I usually bring a water bottle with me but left it at home).  And I had to mail some flyers to friend that was $2.

May 1st eyesroll.gif

Mother, wife, employee, housekeeper, cook, accountant, frugal shopper ... the usual mom stuff. Goals: Raise 2 amazing children, find low cost, healthy meals that my husband & children will eat, save money, spend less while enjoying life & traveling as much as I can. The Ripples Affect

Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 PM

5/1: budgeted spending thumb.gif $119 Costco, $64 grocery store

Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 PM

May 1

jammin.gif No spend

This sounds nice, but we really needed OJ and dishwasher soap!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 AM

Grrrr...had to go back and erase my smiley face because I ended up spending money after all yesterday.  But today...TODAY is my day.  I'm not spending a dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 AM

May 1- bills only (rent, gas, internet) plus gas for my car $50

May 2- coffee $5 left over on gift card no NO SPEND!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Off to a spending start angry.gif  Today should be a no spend, though.  We're not going anywhere, we're not getting fast food, I pretty much have a plan for meals,and far as I can tell, we don't need to buy anything.

Key

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted Spending

Cuss.gif  Un-budgeted/ unplanned spending

1.  Cuss.gif  DH came home and informed me he needed new dress shoes for work.  While I'm proud of him for finding the pair he wanted at a GREAT price, I hadn't worked expensive shoes into the budget this month.  eyesroll.gif

Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM

Stopped to buy gas today and have been eating meals at home.  We found a terrific new playground this morning and I have two very tired, napping boys!  Oh yeah, we'll be back to that park again.  

We got our check from the sale of the house and it is soooooo small.   I can't believe we got so little after owning our house for 10 years.  I know many are in worse situations and I feel very lucky that we were able to sell at all.  I am not feeling sorry for myself, just a little shocked.  

This is the moment when I put on my goggles of Outrageous Optimism and be happy where I am in life.  We will be in this little rental for 2 years to make up for the losses, so might as well be happy with my local playgrounds and walkable neighborhood.  It really is very nice.  And we are all healthy and well fed, so it is all good.  

With this check, I can pay off one of our credit cards.  Will do that as soon as the check clears the bank.  One debt gone. 

I need some motivating smilies:

thumb.gif budgeted...no spend...part of the master plan

bag.gif   off budget

May 1 --  bag.gif   used bike and helmet

May 2  -- thumb.gif  gas, summer swim team fees

May 3

May 4

May 5

May 6

May 7

Old 05-02-2013, 02:36 PM

I am a mostly SAHM mom who is trying to work as little as possible. DH's modest salary covers all of our necessities, housing, food, gas, etc. My income covers the "extras"

Starting tomorrow I have very high goals.....only spend $250 this month on EVERYTHING!!! This would allow me to save $650 which is very much needed as I do not work much in the summer. Wish me luck!!!

KEY: thumb.gif = NO SPEND  treehugger.gif = frugal/planned and desperately needed spend

May 3-

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

Old 05-02-2013, 04:21 PM

a. Who you are

I'm Ashley and I'm a part time working mom to two kiddos. 

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)

We're trying to save up for a 20% down payment for a house.  This month I want to keep all our grocery, toiletries, and extra spending under $500.

Avoid all unnecessary spending and stay out of stores.

5/1-No spend joy.gif

5/2- $7 (larabars and coconut milk), $13.18 (two packs of diapers for DS), $16.98 (grassfed ground beef ($2.99/lb!))-all technically 'necessary spending'

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

Old 05-02-2013, 04:38 PM

May 2

thumb.gif Nothing unnecessary, just that soap and OJ we needed.

1. jammin.gif No spend

Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally.

I was able to keep my wallet in my pocket for one day.

Quote:

02  thumb.gif

Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally.

I was able to keep my wallet in my pocket for one day.

I don't know about you, but I know my credit card number by heart.

So, your victory is much more than keeping your wallet in pocket!  Congratulations!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM

5/2: budgeted spending thumb.gif $50 physical therapy

Old 05-03-2013, 06:29 AM

I just wanted to comment and say that I will be following this thread if that's okay.  It isn't feasible for me to no-spend in May (Dd and I are flying back to Hawaii, I am visiting family, etc.) BUT I plan to do it in June so I want to get as many ideas as I can :)

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM

Oh I spent hundreds of dollars today -- groceries, gas for my gas-inhaling mini-van, water bill for the year.  But that stuff never counts against me in my mind because that is just part of the cost of being alive.

I didn't buy any ~uneccesary~ things today.  For me, that is a victory.

Quote:

02  thumb.gif

03  thumb.gif

Old 05-03-2013, 01:28 PM

Joining...

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:49 PM

I am a mostly SAHM mom who is trying to work as little as possible. DH's modest salary covers all of our necessities, housing, food, gas, etc. My income covers the "extras"

Starting tomorrow I have very high goals.....only spend $250 this month on EVERYTHING!!! This would allow me to save $650 which is very much needed as I do not work much in the summer. Wish me luck!!! Everything includes just my gas, snacks, meals out, misc items, etc

KEY: thumb.gif = NO SPEND treehugger.gif = frugal/planned and desperately needed spend

Grocery budget for May- $400                            Spending Money

Week1  $142 (big shop, out of lots of basics)     Week 1 $40 taken out

Week 2                                                                Week 2

Week 3                                                                Week 3

Week 4                                                                Week 4

May 3-thumb.gif

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

Old 05-03-2013, 07:08 PM

May 3

loveeyes.gif  Well.... not entirely necessary.  Spent about $6 at thrift store, plus some groceries we did not absolutely need.  Critter food.

2. thumb.gif Nothing unnecessary, just that soap and OJ we needed.

1. jammin.gif No spend

Stuff I need this month:

Clothes for 4-H presentations

Swim gear, plus other kids' clothes for summer

Camping reservations

Kitchen "tea" towels: mine are ancient and disgusting.  I could wait because they are functional, but, mmm.... nope.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:49 PM

May 1- bills only (rent, gas, internet) plus gas for my car $50

May 2- coffee $5 left over on gift card no NO SPEND!!!

May 3- Kids are sick, didn't leave home NO SPEND!!!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 PM

5/2: budgeted spending thumb.gif $50 physical therapy

5/3: no spend biggrinbounce.gif

Old 05-04-2013, 10:42 AM

Starting tomorrow I have very high goals.....only spend $250 this month on EVERYTHING!!! This would allow me to save $650 which is very much needed as I do not work much in the summer. Wish me luck!!! Everything includes just my gas, snacks, meals out, misc items, etc

KEY: thumb.gif = NO SPEND treehugger.gif = frugal/planned and desperately needed spend

Grocery budget for May-$400                         Spending Money

Week1 $142 (big shop, out of lots of basics) Week 1 $40 taken out

Week 2                                                           Week 2

Week 3                                                            Week 3

Week 4                                                            Week 4

May 3-thumb.gif

May 4th-treehugger.gif ($8 on smoke alarm battery, $5 yard sale on toys for DS, $3 thirft store on clothes and baby potty!) = $16      

May 5th-           

Tags
Frugality , Finances
User Tag List