Getting Out of Debt - May 2013 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 05-14-2013, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemomma View Post

trekkingirl - I am so right there with you, my DH is not on board with a budget either.

So I got a job offer for a 20 hr/week position with a non-profit that I am considering taking.  

After paying taxes and deductions for a family health insurance plan - I will only see 46% of my gross salary. Does that seem about right for the United States??  I don't know if I am going to net enough to make it worthwhile.

I would also be curious to hear what folks say that are living in the rest of the world - how does that compare?

54% does seem high. The health plan premiums will be deducted off your gross and then the tax withholdings will be calculated... that may make a difference in your net pay.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#32 of 53 Old 05-14-2013, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
But if the health premiums are average and she's only working half time, it might not be out of line. You also would want to check the number of exemptions you claim to right size your take home now so you don't get a huge Refund later.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#33 of 53 Old 05-15-2013, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I took my gross earnings for a pay period - subtracted the health insurance before any taxes - then took 30% off for taxes which is about the usual rate for me. Equals 54% of my paycheck deducted. (My deductions have been changed to as low as possible now - had to pay in to the feds the last two years.)

It is because it is only a 1/2 time position - if I worked more, the company would pay more of my health insurance and I would obviously have to pay less.

It's such a bummer - sigh. But I will need to decide if I should take it or keep looking - just trying to figure out if it's likely to be the same elsewhere.  Sounds like it probably is.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 223/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012)
#34 of 53 Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM

Got a bill from the IRS today for $1044. Apparently they think I should have paid 20% tax on my disability pay last year. seems crazy since that money was tax money that I paid into the program when I was working.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#35 of 53 Old 05-16-2013, 03:20 AM

trekkingirl redo your taxes to inclue the money the IRS said you should have. When they send you the bill sometimes they don't figure your exemptions you have. what they say you owe might not be correct.

#36 of 53 Old 05-16-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

lilac- how's the job search going? Find the best one yet?

Hope things are going well for you and the little beans.

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 223/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012)
#37 of 53 Old 05-16-2013, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Extremely tired pregnant with twins momma. I have a second interview on June 6 to be a math tutor at the local community college. I think that would be a good fit for me and maybe someday I could teach math at the community college. One week and a day left with kids then clean up 12 years of accumulation in my classroooms. Ugh.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#38 of 53 Old 05-19-2013, 06:23 AM

I am at a loss now that I am borrowing for college. Not sure what to pay down now. Guess Dr would say the smallest. But should i try to put snowballing on hold and save money for classes and get lower loans for upcoming semesters. I usually can figure this out but my mind is drawing a blank. My new used car needs new brake pads and the winsheld needs cracks filled as a rock gave it 4-5 small cracks on the freeway just after I bought it...I racked up some cc debt this past month too. I need ti get back on track greensad.gif

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#39 of 53 Old 05-19-2013, 06:52 AM

If you can get federal student loans for school (especially if they are subsidized!) then my personal opinion would be to use the cash to pay down higher interest cc debt. However, some might disagree with that because student loans can never be discharged in a bankruptcy, so maybe it would be better to avoid it. Obviously you want to avoid any private student loans like the plague they are, but I'm sure you already know that.

How much do you think you are going to need to borrow to complete your degree? Can you try for any grants and/or scholarships? And what degree are you looking at, again? (sorry if you said all of this earlier, I have a severe case of pregnancy brain.)

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#40 of 53 Old 05-19-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteh View Post

If you can get federal student loans for school (especially if they are subsidized!) then my personal opinion would be to use the cash to pay down higher interest cc debt. However, some might disagree with that because student loans can never be discharged in a bankruptcy, so maybe it would be better to avoid it. Obviously you want to avoid any private student loans like the plague they are, but I'm sure you already know that.

How much do you think you are going to need to borrow to complete your degree? Can you try for any grants and/or scholarships? And what degree are you looking at, again? (sorry if you said all of this earlier, I have a severe case of pregnancy brain.)

I am getting a restricted teaching license and that leads into a masters in teaching. I already have a B.A. and I am taking grad level classes which are all unsubsidized. One thing that I can do is get a defferment on my current student loan debt though it is pretty low and will not free up much money per month, those loans are subsidized and I think will not acrue interest while I am enrolled in college.

I already accept 2300$ for my summer classes in student loans at 6.8% interest accruing as soon as it is disbursed next week. That is for 6 hours plus money for books. The restricted teaching license will only put me about 5K in debt, but I was planning on picking up some of the masters classes because of the timing and the unlikelihood of getting a job in January. The total amount for all the masters classes I need for the degree is about 18000$. 12 hours are actually a paid internship when I get a job teaching and at that point I hope to be able to pay as I go or shortly after I complete the hours.

My current debt is about 1750$ in cc and 4000K in student loans. I have reduced my emergency fund to 2000$(which is more than DR suggests but I rely soley on alimony/cs from xdh so that amount is as low as I feel comfortable, and I do have a bit extra right now in the bank but I am not paying anything off with it until the end of the month once i get my car issues fixed and paid for and see what is left.

At this point making extra money is near impossible as far as side jobs, I have little time as it is, and I need to keep my 1-2 days free for studying when the xdh has the kids. His hours are long and unpredictable so him keeping the kids any more is not an option. I also have no relatives within 20-40 mins of me and no one to keep my kids weird hours for a job or would accept the little money i could pay. I make 80$ a month at a church where I can bring my kids, but with illness i usually miss 1 day a month so it is more like 60$.

I do have small items I could sell on CL but I am not going to focus on that until summer classes are done on june 22nd. I will then have an 8 week break until classes start for the fall.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#41 of 53 Old 05-26-2013, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Thanks to overtime for DH we have been able to pay off another credit card.  8 down, 12 cc/student loans to go!  Making progress again after doing our IVF feels good.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#42 of 53 Old 05-26-2013, 07:39 PM

Geat news. I love OT when it comes to getting bills paid.

#43 of 53 Old 05-27-2013, 02:50 PM

Got Paid today 325 went to rent and 175 in bank for bills. The 86 dollars i had left over got split up as 25/dollars for the christmas fund and rest went into EF total 700 in EF. in june i will br able to finish the EF and then be able to pay off SL by christmas. I'm right on track just need a few more checks with 79+hrs in them

#44 of 53 Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 PM

polly make sure you are doing something for yourself during the week or that many hours of work will catch up to you and you'll burn out before christmas. Happy to hear you are so focused though! Keep up the good work.

AFM, I have my car back in the shop. My second transmission is going out. The shop says they will cover it even though the warranty is past but we'll see. It's only been a year but I drive a lot. 

I haven't heard anything back about the house and can't seem to make up my mind as to what I should do. I'm back on disability as I threw my back out again. Living on a fixed disabled income is becoming more and more of a reality to me. All the more reason to get out of debt ASAP!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#45 of 53 Old 05-29-2013, 01:55 AM

Gosh I haven't posted or read in a while! I remember where a lot of you ladies where six months ago, and am impressed with the progress :-)

We made it through BS2 a month or so ago (my computer died and I didn't have a back-up of Quicken so it's all a bit fuzzy).

My only financial goal for 2013 is to have 2 months saved in an E-fund and have enough to buy a Roth for me this year.

As of today, was have 16% of our two month E-fund and 0% for my Roth. And DH just got the notice that he will be furloughed this year, so it's going to be tight. I am setting the E-fund goal low so that hopefully we can reach it, and also because that's all I want to live in the accounts we are filling right now. After that I will shift to something that earns more interest.

#46 of 53 Old 05-29-2013, 07:19 PM

trekinggirl the 79hrs is a 2 wk total, since in this state most places pay every 2 weeks. I plan on paying off my SL for chistmas figured i needed to pay 270/m to do it. so it is beginning to look doable.

#47 of 53 Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 PM

Can I ask for thoughts and prayers that these two tutoring interviews I have go well?  It will more than likely be only an hour each/week/kid (50.00 extra a week), but that's 200.00/month to put towards debt and savings.  I am still trying to get an online tutoring job, but these would help a lot!

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#48 of 53 Old 05-30-2013, 01:35 AM

meagan hope your interveiw goes well for you.

#49 of 53 Old 05-30-2013, 05:27 PM

It went great, besides Starbucks internet not working banghead.gif.  Thankfully I was able to explain to her my ideas and we are having a trial run next week.  I just pray it goes well.  Next Tuesday I have my second consultation so I am praying it goes a little better!

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#50 of 53 Old 05-31-2013, 12:51 AM

glad for my emergancy fund yesterday. we went to the store for groceries tire went flat we need to get fix a flat to hold it until we got to walmart to get a new tire so 79 dollars of unexpected expenses.

#51 of 53 Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well ladies, I have one last mat. leave payment before our income stops for 3 mos. we have savings- not enough, but we always make things work, so I'm sure we'll figure it out! This BS3 has been EXHAUSTING and drawn out. I can't wait until DH is done school and bringing home the bacon!! 18 mos to go...

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#52 of 53 Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 AM

Good luck eirual!!  I am sure you will find a way to make it work, the good news is if your on BS3 that means none of the money is going towards debt!

So Dh has decided he wants to apply for an early out, they are doing away with the language mission he is involved in anyway (Tagalog, he is a linguist in the Army) and have already told us that sometime in the next few years he will either have to switch MOS's or have his contract dissolved...he said he would just rather jump start the process now and get on with our lives.  If it's approved he will get out about Nov 2014, so we have about a year and a year and 5 months to get out of debt and save, save, save.  Lucky for Dh I am obsessive about numbers so I am in the process of creating us a plan to do just that.  When he gets out of school we will have his GI Bill and a PELL grant (which the grant will pay for all his schooling since it's at the Junior college) so we will have some income coming in.

Ugh my mind is just spinning...

-Meagan

#53 of 53 Old 06-05-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Started a June thread - come on over and post there!

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page