Getting a used car checked out - how do you do it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-31-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

We are in the market for a new (used) car. I've often heard that you should get a trusted mechanic to check out a car before you buy it. After the fiasco that was our last used car, I would really like to do that with our next car. My question is... how do you go about that? I have a trusted mechanic, but it seems weird to say to a seller, "Hey, can I have your car for several hours/days (not sure how long it takes?), so I can get it checked out? We just met, but I promise I'm not stealing your car!" Has anyone done this? Ideas on how to approach it? We are currently a one-car family, so we can't let them have our car while the other car is getting checked out, unless it's only for a few hours. Also, we live in a very big city (Houston), so there's no guarantee the car we're interested in will be anywhere near our mechanic.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24******32***36***40** Oct 2014
#2 of 5 Old 05-31-2013, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Could you, the seller, and the mechanic all meet at a neutral location, like the mechanic's garage? Then the seller would be leaving the car with the mechanic (who presumably has a business license, insurance, etc.), and not with the prospective buyer they "just met".

The seller would need some other method of transportation home, and back to the garage again, but if they're selling this car, I'm assuming they have something else lined up already! Worst case scenario, I guess they could get a ride with a friend, depending on how motivated they are to get the car sold.

You're buying the car from a private individual, right, not a dealership? We had our used car checked by a mechanic before we bought it, but we were working with a dealership where this happens all the time.

#3 of 5 Old 05-31-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I think trying to just have the seller drop the car at the mechanic would be best. I guess I'm just concerned because we could be looking at a car in the Houston metro area that is still 30-50 miles from our mechanic. Pretty far to ask someone to go out of their way, especially with a friend or family member in tow with a second vehicle.

We don't have a specific vehicle lined up to purchase yet, but we probably are looking to buy from a private individual just because it's cheaper. Also, at our price point (under $10,000), there isn't a lot for us at non-sketchy dealerships. I do think it would be easier to arrange an inspection with a dealer-owned car, though.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24******32***36***40** Oct 2014
#4 of 5 Old 06-16-2013, 01:51 PM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Also get a carfax report at carfax.com

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bout a used car from a private party. I found a mechanic near where the car was and told the seller I wanted it inspected. Surprisingly he had no issue with me taking it for inspection. The mechanic did his thing for a few hours then I met back up with the seller and took the car home later that day.

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page