Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Frugality & Finances (http://www.mothering.com/forum/312-frugality-finances/)
-   -   June No Spend Challenge!!! (http://www.mothering.com/forum/312-frugality-finances/1384433-june-no-spend-challenge.html)

avismama24 06-02-2013 06:58 AM

Come one, come all...I have been participating for the past 2 months and it has helped us stay on track with both our spending and savings.

Feel free to share a bit about your family and your goals.

Groceries: Monthly goal: $400

Week1:

Week2:

Week3:

Week4:

Key:thumb.gif = no spend day treehugger.gif= budgeted/frugal spend irked.gif= unplanned spending

June 1 $50 gas= $50

June 2nd- $12 clothes for ds, $10 book for b-day prezzie= $22

honeybee80 06-02-2013 08:16 AM

Thanks for starting this!  

I'm moving next week and my biggest goal for June is to not buying anything new for my new place until my current place is rented out and I recoup some of the double rent I'm paying (it should get rented out very quickly, but I'm still a little nervous about it!)  I fell apart with the challenge last month, so I'm trying to refocus myself and consolidate any purchases that need to be made so that I'm not just going out and blindly spending money.

Key:  biggrinbounce.gif = no spend, thumb.gif = budgeted spending, Sheepish.gif = unbudgeted spending

I'm just gonna post daily and tally mine in a row instead of keeping a running list so that my posts aren't so long.

June 1st - no spend 

no spend days = 1 biggrinbounce.gif

budgeted spending days

unbudgeted spending days

SweetSilver 06-02-2013 09:02 AM

I dropped out of the May challenge because I was too overwhelmed with events to want to keep track online.  Something had to drop!  But summer is the hardest time for me in the sense that now the money is flowing in, I tend to be less mindful of our spending.  Thankfully we need very little this summer--most of our spending will be on gas and trips.  

My goal is to save as much of our surplus income as possible so that we can make it through our "off" season without dipping into our long-term savings.  Then, spending more than we earn is inevitable, but hopefully what we save can cover it.  

So, withthat in mind, because I need summer discipline, I am going to make my self post my spending--and be more brutal about it too by recording everything I spend, necessary or not.  I can't accumulate no-spends because where we live we have to combine our errands where we can.

June begins with gymnastics cancelled until September, so that gives the girls and I the chance to stay put.  In fact, after this weekend's trip to the city, we have 2 days of Stuff to Do, then we are home for the entire week, if we want!

1.  $17 mini-mart snacks for whole family

(That mini-mart pizza has no business being that yummy!  Maybe I never have pizza anymore, but this pizza seems better than the "local" pizza place.)

MariesMama 06-02-2013 09:34 AM

Can I join!  We have a LO coming in October and I'm trying to be frugal.  We still need a car seat, and then I would like a crib and dresser and all that.  Anyway...

I've budgeted $150 a week for groceries and household items and am hoping to stay waayyyyy below that.

June 1:  $88 on groceries for the week which included a present for a party DD is going to today and chick feed.

tiqa 06-02-2013 10:55 AM

1 - shy.gif  9.99 - Babies movie download from Amazon

shy.gif  7.99 - Belly-dancing book I kept getting from the library and wanted to own

treehugger.gif

2 -  thumb.gif

treehugger.gif

3 - eyesroll.gif 30.00 - Food delivery (I have a terrible cold and just couldn't be bothered to even defrost something)

shy.gif  30.00 - Baby-bouncer-thing for DD2, DH has been pressuring me to order one for awhile now

treehugger.gif

Peace.gif - walked, pushups, situps

4 -  eyesroll.gif  9.99 - Backpack for DD1 - she doesn't technically need it for home-school, but it was... pink...

love.gif  negative 25.00 ! - Sold a playhouse on CL.

Peace.gif - push ups, situps

5 -  irked.gif  Not gonna write every detail, but blew it... mostly for a good cause (care package for friend with sick child) but way overspent...

Peace.gif - walked

6 -  shy.gif  $65 @ Thrift store - Clothes for DD2 (needed) and myself (needed) and a diaper bag and small present for DD1

eyesroll.gif $6 for tiramisu and ginger beer at PF Changs...

7 - thumb.gif

treehugger.gif

Peace.gif- elliptical and weights

8 -  shy.gif - iced tea and cookie for DD1

9 -  shy.gif - breakfast out with DD1

shy.gif - farmer's market trip with family

eyesroll.gif - went overboard on Solstice presents

10 -  eyesroll.gif  - vet bill... for stray cat.  also litter box and litter, flea collar

11 - thumb.gif

treehugger.gif

12 - irked.gif  potted plant, homeschool craft supplies, disposable diapers (small pack), snacks

treehugger.gif  No-drive days - 5/15

thumb.gif    No-Spend! - 3/15

shy.gif      Budgeted (or justified) spend

eyesroll.gif      Not justified spending

Peace.gif  Worked out

honeybee80 06-02-2013 06:24 PM

Key:  biggrinbounce.gif = no spend, thumb.gif = budgeted spending, Sheepish.gif = unbudgeted spending

I'm just gonna post daily and tally mine in a row instead of keeping a running list so that my posts aren't so long.

June 2nd - budgeted spending  thumb.gif $7 dollar store, $38 groceries

no spend days = 1 biggrinbounce.gif

budgeted spending days = 1 thumb.gif

unbudgeted spending days

John16n33 06-02-2013 08:44 PM

Okay I am ready to join! I am doing a semi-spend month lol.  I have allocated certain amounts of money for things we need and are getting ready for but other than that I hope not to spend any. Here is what I have allocated:

475.00 for groceries/household items (our actual budgeted amount is 550.00 but my goal is to get this down to 400.00)

40.00 stock up items (our commissary is having a huge tent sale)

111.00 for homeschool supplies

30.00 for maternity clothing

30.00 MAYBE for a sander (I am really trying to find one to borrow though).

I am actually starting my month of semi spending on May 30th because that's when we got paid and it will end on June 27th because we get paid on the 28th as our first paycheck for July.  Have I thoroughly confused you yet?  Okay good.  Now if I could get Dh on board with this no spend challenge!

Key: joy.gif=No Spend thumb.gif =Budgeted/justified spending duh.gif= Unjustified/budgeted spending

May 30- joy.gif

May 31- thumb.gif (spent 162.25 on groceries and 36.56 on stock up items)

June 1- thumb.gif (spent 1.78 because I forgot to buy baking soda the day before)

June 2- thumb.gif (spent 25.23 on printer paper, an ink cartridge refill, multiplication flash cards.  I am calling this justified since I need all three to get ready for my tutoring jobs this week AND I sold 2 items today for a total of 60.00 so I am taking the money from those funds).

June 3- joy.gif

June 4- thumb.gif Dh did go and buy a 12 pack of beer last night, but it was in our eating out/gas station budget and he got some bad news yesterday so I felt he deserved it...

June 5-

June 6-

June 7-

avismama24 06-03-2013 05:59 PM

Come one, come all...I have been participating for the past 2 months and it has helped us stay on track with both our spending and savings.

Week1: $114 (store), $35 (csa) = $149

Week2:

Week3:

Week4:

Key:thumb.gif = no spend day treehugger.gif= budgeted/frugal spend irked.gif= unplanned spending

June 1 $50 gas= $50

June 2nd-treehugger.gif $12 clothes for ds, $10 book for b-day prezzie, gas $30 = $52

June 3rd- irked.gif $20 gas to get the car which needed work = $20

SweetSilver 06-03-2013 07:55 PM

2. $39 gas/$44 co-op/$4 french fries/$34 other co-op

3. $2 pretzel/$68 science center w/MIL/$15 parking (gah!)/$1 bagel/$41 co-op

dizzy.gif Still reeling from this trip to Seattle.  The bills were paid without dipping this month, but we should have seen some savings.  Dh and I lost a really big client this last year, and it is making a huge impact.

honeybee80 06-03-2013 08:34 PM

June 3rd - no spend biggrinbounce.gif

no spend days = 2 biggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gif

unbudgeted spending days = 0

Crunchy*VT*Mom 06-04-2013 04:19 AM

In!  Starting today.

04.. thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  $70 camping supplies, $20 ice cream with D2

thumb.gif = no spend

Crunchy*VT*Mom 06-04-2013 04:22 AM

Summer is easier for us because DH is a teacher and so no money is coming in. 

We can't buy it. 

Period.

I tend to be a black and white person.  If there is any gray area, I can justify spending whatever I want.  but in the summer... no debate.  We can't afford it.

LoveOurBabies 06-04-2013 09:16 AM

I'm in for this month.

All good so far.. We've only spent on budgeted groceries and gas for the car. I don't count budgeted groceries/gas/utilities/mortgage as "spend" because I have no option but to pay the bills, buy food and pay for shelter! :) It's everything else, additional to the very basic needs of mankind that I consider as "spend".

I'm eyeing stuff for christmas for the kids (I like to get in early), but haven't parted with any money. I have to pay more on my layaway this month and buy a night light for DD. That's all I can think of for now.. I'm sure I will find more crap to buy as the month rolls by.

June 1st - No spend.

June 2nd - No spend.

June 3rd - No spend.

June 4th - No spend.

sdelgadillo389 06-04-2013 11:09 PM

Starting today!

KEY: No Spend = thumb.gif         Budgeted Spend = smile.gif        Unbudgeted Spend = duh.gif

6/1: thumb.gif

6/2: thumb.gif

6/3: smile.gif

6/4: thumb.gif

My February Goals:

No Spend Days =

Budgeted Spend Days = 1

Unbudgeted Spend Days = 0

honeybee80 06-05-2013 06:23 AM

June 4th - no spend biggrinbounce.gif

no spend days = 3 biggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gif

honeybee80 06-05-2013 09:44 PM

June 5th - no spend biggrinbounce.gif

no spend days = 4 biggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gif

SweetSilver 06-05-2013 09:48 PM

4. $7 candy orngtongue.gif out of the girls' snack fund

5. $26 chicken feed/ $7 snacks and ice for homemade ice cream

honeybee80 06-06-2013 05:58 PM

June 6th - budgeted spending thumb.gif $19 groceries

no spend days = 4 biggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gif

budgeted spending days = 2 thumb.gifthumb.gif

avismama24 06-06-2013 07:18 PM

Week2:

Week3:

Week4:

June 1 $50 gas= $50

June 2nd-treehugger.gif $12 clothes for ds, $10 book for b-day prezzie, gas $30 = $52

June 3rd- irked.gif $20 gas to get the car which needed work = $20

June 3rd- thumb.gif

June 4th-thumb.gif

June 5th- treehugger.gif $55 gas, irked.gif $4 cookies= $59

SweetSilver 06-06-2013 07:58 PM

5. $42 chicken feed/ $7 snacks and ice for homemade ice cream

6. $43 groceries

Made some really good homemade ice cream today.  The girls have resisted it after a past disaster, but I won them over with a better recipe.  The best is that it is free of rice syrup-- we are eliminating rice from dd1's diet to see if it helps improve her mood.  She's tested positive for an allergy to rice, and it used to give her headaches but we have since reintroduced limited quantities.  Dairy-free ice cream is expensive!  I made ours with soy and coconut an chocolate, and eggs.  Eggs are also suspect, but not so much as rice. 

Crunchy*VT*Mom 06-07-2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
04.. thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  $70 camping supplies, $20 ice cream with D2

~~

25..  $12 on food, but it was unhealthy... chips and such

26.. thumb.gif

27..  thumb.gif

thumb.gif = no spend

avismama24 06-08-2013 08:36 PM

Week2: $109 (store)

Week3:

Week4:

June 1 $50 gas, treehugger.gif $12 clothes for ds, $10 book for b-day prezzie, gas $30 = $102

June 2nd- irked.gif $20 gas to get the car which needed work = $20

June 3rd- thumb.gif

June 4th-thumb.gif

June 6th- thumb.gif

June 7th-irked.gif $16 jojoba oil, $5 prescription = $21

June 8th- $5 laundry, $16 photos, $36 fathers day gifts = $57

honeybee80 06-08-2013 09:12 PM

June 7th - no spend biggrinbounce.gif

June 8th - some budgeted spending thumb.gif $90 groceries, $81 Costco, $12 coffee; unbudgeted spending Sheepish.gif $103 tapestries for my new house, $61 beer (most of that is beer for my dad and my friend as payment for helping me move)

no spend days = 5 biggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gif

budgeted spending days = 2 thumb.gifthumb.gif

unbudgeted spending days = 1 Sheepish.gif

SweetSilver 06-09-2013 09:09 AM

6. $43 groceries

7. co-op.  lost receipt

8. $10 snacks

9. $0

Finally!  A day without spending money!  Kind of.... dh is headed to the dump.

avismama24 06-10-2013 07:39 PM

Week3:

Week4:

June 1 $50 gas, treehugger.gif $12 clothes for ds, $10 book for b-day prezzie, gas $30 = $102

June 3rd- thumb.gif

June 4th-thumb.gif

June 6th- thumb.gif

June 9th- thumb.gif

June 10th- misc groceries= $11

SweetSilver 06-11-2013 09:18 AM

6. $43 groceries

7. co-op.  lost receipt

8. $10 snacks

9. $0

10 $7 snacks

I have got to stop hitting the minimart.

honeybee80 06-11-2013 03:06 PM

June 9th - budgeted spending thumb.gif $4 train ticket, $9 dinner

June 10th - no spend biggrinbounce.gif

no spend days = 6 biggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gif

budgeted spending days = 3 thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

avismama24 06-11-2013 10:01 PM

Week3:

Week4:

June 3rd- thumb.gif

June 4th-thumb.gif

June 6th- thumb.gif

June 9th- thumb.gif

June 10th- misc groceries= $11

June 11th- $18 children's museum = $18

honeybee80 06-12-2013 05:50 AM

June 11th - no spend biggrinbounce.gif

no spend days = 7 biggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gif

budgeted spending days = 3 thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

honeybee80 06-12-2013 09:52 PM

June 12th - budgeted spending thumb.gif $40 gas

no spend days = 7 biggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gif

budgeted spending days = 4 thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif