Getting Out of Debt - June 2013 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
trekkin--that's great! And I thought it was good that we got a free brake light with our oil change last week... smile.gif

Thanks for the advice on the house. I think that we're going to wait and see what happens. My DP wants to change careers, and the one she wants to go into has a very low-paid apprentice period that we'll need to weather, so I think we're going to try to get that started before we make any major financial changes. I'm hoping that interest rates will stay fairly low for another year or two. If not, maybe it's not meant to be?

dziejen--have you tried re-reading the book? It might help get you stoked up again to recommit if you were doing well before!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#32 of 52 Old 06-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Woohoo! I met with another midwife yesterday and literally fell in love lol.  We just clicked.  To make a good thing better I her fee is 3200.00, I told her I had 2600.00 saved up and would she barter for the rest?  She said yes! I am going to knit her about 60 baby hats or so for her to give as gifts to her clients, but if I work but behind off I can knit a hat a day...woohoo!

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#33 of 52 Old 06-19-2013, 11:22 AM

meagan congrats on the new midwife :) that was great.

#34 of 52 Old 06-20-2013, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
That is great about bartering with the midwife!

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#35 of 52 Old 06-29-2013, 04:03 AM

Had some goodnews yesterday a gentleman I know from work has been asking questions of me for months. He has been "interviewing" me for a job he has open at his business. Well yesterday he gave me his card told and asked when I could come in. told him I was off work at 2 so could be there at 2:30. Had a tour of the place and now have a new job starting in a week. 10/hr which for me is a 2/hr raise. I will be doing testing on water in a lab. I just can't wait.

i'm going to keep on the schedule of paying off the SL but ecelerate my savings on EF and 2 to 3 months of savings.

I feel like I should be dancing. :)

#36 of 52 Old 06-29-2013, 06:46 AM

Great news, Pollyanna!
Prettyisa - I am going to start re reading our Financial Peace University materials and find out when the classes are being held in our area because now we can go for free.
Recently we made a hard decision - my brother is coming back to the US after being in Afghanistan and we were hoping to be at the base with my parents to welcome him but after doing the math we realized it was going to cost at least $1000 and we just couldn't swing it. It was the right decision but I can't wait until we are at a point where we have more savings and everything isn't dictated by how much cash we have.
#37 of 52 Old 06-29-2013, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dziejen, I totally feel ya. I can't wait til the "live like no one else" part gives us he upper hand.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#38 of 52 Old 06-29-2013, 12:41 PM

So our first of the month paycheck yesterday and Dh and I have given each other challenges.  Right now our grocery budget is 550.00 and his nicotene budget is 80.00.  The deal is that if we have anything leftover from our budget we get to add it to our blow money (then next month we will redo the budget to fit in those numbers).  Now we do live in a very HCOL area but I think 400.00 would be a reasonable budget if I worked with sales.  I created a 31 day meal plan and went and bought everything other than parishables yesterday.  The total was 315.00, and then somehow I lost 5.00 so really we are at 320.00.  So that leaves me 80.00 for milk, bread, cat litter, and produce for the month, oh and cascade because I forgot to grab it yesterday.  I think I can do it.  They are having a big 'farmers market' type sale at our commissary where they have cucumbers, green beans, and apples on sale (among others). I think I am going to stock up on green beans and freeze them.  We will just have a lot of green beans this month lol, I am hoping I can make the budget work so that we have enough green beans to last us until my garden starts producing some.

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#39 of 52 Old 06-29-2013, 03:35 PM

Pollyanna, that is great! Better paying jobs are good!
Dziejen, it is hard to make those decisions especially when it means missing family events. I took look forward to the "live like no one else" part of DRs plan.

JOhn16n33, wow that is ambitious. Ihope your garden starts producing soon. Ihave kale and broccoli so far.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#40 of 52 Old 06-29-2013, 05:41 PM

I had to restart all my seeds inside thanks to my dog who loves to dig.  I am hoping for a better outcome this time around.

-Meagan

#41 of 52 Old 06-30-2013, 06:54 PM

I still haven't found time to refi my car. My BIL gave me some great car shampoo so I may just clean it up really well and sell it, since I'm not upside down on the loan anymore. But then I wouldn't have a car since my DH rides a motorcycle.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#42 of 52 Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 AM

New to this thread...

My husband and I quit our jobs two years ago to return to school for our masters degrees, and as an added bonus we had the amazing surprise of having our first baby girl a semester before graduation! Needless to say, despite the many blessings we have, it has been financially challenging. When we still worked we were on a cash envelope system that worked really well,but the fast-paced crazy nature of our TAs and school work made it impossible to keep up with. So to replace our old system (cash envelopes/excell spreadsheet budget) we converted everything to mint.com and started using our debit cards again. It has worked really well, especially since it allows both parties to keep up with transaction tracking in real time on our smartphones. Even though we've graduated and I'll be staying home with our daughter, we will probably continue this system because it works so well and tracks all of our spending nicely for tax purposes. It's basically the same envelope budgeting system only electronically linked to your bank account.
#43 of 52 Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Okay, I don't know why this never occurred to us until now, but we devised a plan to ROCK BS3 and 4.

We own two houses. The one with the smaller mortgage is being rented out. If put all of my income to that house (which, I was planning to save/invest it anyway...starting next year [DH still has one more year of school]) it can be paid off in 4 yrs. That means that property would actually give us INCOME, which we could then slam through our larger mortgage and be living mortgage-free in about 10yrs. That's flaming CRAZY!!! And totally doable, as far as I can see. It also means private school for the boys is actually feasible too.

I feel a slight pang of guilt when I think of working through DS2's formative years, but I really do have a great child/family-friendly job and we've simplified life to help it balance (no commute, close to family). The freedom it will bring to our future will be freaking amazing!!!

I need to see the rules for paying down a mortgage stupid fast, but I have yet to find a fault in our logic. Can it seriously be this attainable??

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#44 of 52 Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 PM

this is the reason I've been trying so hard to buy a house!!! I don't know about canadian rules but here in the US it's totally doable.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#45 of 52 Old 07-02-2013, 03:35 AM

Welcome katie.  Sounds like you and DH have made some good financial decisions.  Hope you can keep them up once you are done with grad school and spending time at home with your daughter.

eirual, sounds like an excellent plan!  If DH and I could swing it, we would like to buy a house down the street from us - 4 bedrooms, new siding, new roof - $9,900!  We could live in that because it is bigger and rent out the 2 bedroom house we currently live in.

AFM, ugh, I always feel like it is one step forward, two steps back.  Yesterday I called up my fertility clinic, because I had gotten a bill for DH's semen storage, but I knew there should be a bill for some unpaid fees from the IVF and the storage fee for our embryos.  I had most of the fee saved already, but there was more than I thought I owed - ended up paying the extra from my extra summer job to cover the whole fee so I could be done with IVF fees.  I was hoping to put that extra money toward a home improvement loan I have as a third mortgage on my house.  Because of it, I can't refinance the house.  I really want that paid off this summer so we can refinance before I am no longer getting paid and the twins are born.

Today I am going to be learning exactly how my job will go for the next 6 months.  Pay, benefits, job description, etc.  I am excited and scared.  Glad I have something to do and work that is significant as a math coach to elementary teachers.  I will be talking with the superintendents today about their vision for how I can help teachers.

#46 of 52 Old 07-02-2013, 01:07 PM

I am excited!  Not only will I have a job for the next 6 months I got a raise too!  I am getting about $700 more a month.  I have to wait until last day of July to see exactly what my take home pay will be.  I will get paid once a month, as I always have since working as an adult. I can't wait for July 31st to come!

#47 of 52 Old 07-04-2013, 12:15 PM

That's great!

I am excited too.  Although my tutoring client is moving in two weeks I have found a temporary nanny job at the end of the month.  It's only 6 days but I will bring in 240.00 extra to put towards savings/debt.  Woohoo!

-Meagan

#48 of 52 Old 07-05-2013, 03:44 PM

hi guys :) great news no nights at mcdonald's anymore. I am not working there anymore. A customer at work liked the way I worked and offered me a job at his lab that does water testing. This is like getting a 2 dollar raise :)) I start working Monday  My hours will be 8-5 m-th 8-12 fri no nights no weekends and no holidays. I have never had a job like this before not even sure what to do with all the weekends off. they don't give health ins but after 3 monthes they pay 100 dollars toward my insurance costs.

my balance on my SL is 1500 so with this Job I might be able to pay it off earlier. I really want to actively start saving for a house :)

#49 of 52 Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 PM

Wow, all good things! Yay, hard work and happy surprises!!

#50 of 52 Old 07-06-2013, 05:05 PM

Pollyanna, that is great news!

#51 of 52 Old 07-06-2013, 08:18 PM

here is to hoping we all make it to the next step :) whatever step that maybe.

#52 of 52 Old 07-11-2013, 03:31 AM

Went and talked to our local credit union about transferring DH's Canadian car loan to the US and bringing his line of credit that he owes down here too.  We keep getting dinged with fees to transfer money to Canada to pay those 2 bills every month. DH thinks the fees are no big deal but to me it is scandalous!  The credit union loan officer was confident we could either have a car loan and a signature loan to cover the two bills or put both of them together into one signature loan and likely have payments lower than what the car loan payment is each month currently.  Score if we an make it happen!  DH has to make calls and get 20 day pay off amounts for both of those debts. Hopefully within the next week we will be able to look forward to lower payments to help knock off a couple lower balance debts.

We are also looking at refinancing our home - right now it is just in my name since I bought the home before we were married.  DH would really like to have his name on the mortgage too but that requires refinancing in order to do that.  If we can get a fixed rate mortgage for 2 percentage points less than we have, we will definitely do it.

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page