Getting Out of Debt - June 2013 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 06-05-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Do you want to get out of debt? Start living on a budget? Be able to start saving? Then this is the thread for you! Some of us use Dave Ramsey's method but please join us even if you're following someone else/your own plan. All are welcome!

Here's DR's plan:

Pre-Step 1: Get current on your debts and do a budget
0.1 No new borrowing.
0.2 Talk with spouse and get him/her on the same page as you concerning finances.
0.3 Do a written budget
0.4 Temporarily stop all retirement contributions
0.5 Get current on all the basics (Shelter, Food, Utilities, Basic clothing)
0.6 Amputate "toys" (bikes, boats, ATV's etc) to help snowball
0.7 Cut lifestyle (Cut cable, cell, extras, eating out) and/or get a second job to raise $1000 EF.
0.8 Get current on ALL bills

BS1 $1,000 to start an Emergency Fund
1.1 Chop up/freeze CC's (You have an EF now)
1.2 Get Health insurance NOW if in the US
1.3 Get Life insurance NOW if you have considerable debt/your family couldn't make it financially if you died.
1.4 Amputate cars that you can't pay off within 24 months

BS2 Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball
2.0 Do the debt snowball, paying all your debts from lowest BALANCE to highest.

BS3 Three to six months of expenses in savings
3.1 Start car replacement fund
3.2 Save up 20% for home purchase OR pay down existing mortgage to the point you can drop PMI.
3.3 Start furniture or other non-essential stuff replacement fund

BS4 Invest 15 percent of household income for retirement

BS5 College funding for children

BS6 Pay off home early

BS7 Build wealth and give! Invest in mutual funds and real estate

Here's the link to Dave Ramsey's website: http://www.daveramsey.com or if you want a good DR discussion forum,http://www.llnoe.com is good but hardcore. Gail vax Oxlade's Til Debt do Us Part is great tv show, very motivating. Her website is:http://gailvazoxlade.com/blog Others like Suze Orman or Mary Hunt, really doesn't matter whose method you use, just start the process to getting out of debt

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 231/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012) Ramsey's BS1 $468.31
#2 of 52 Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So we are in our first month using the envelopes and so far so good! Dh has only slipped and used his debit card twice (our month officially started last Thursday when we got paid) which is good for him. 

Question:

Can y'all give me a rundown of what y'all eat?  We live in a VERY HCOL area and have no way to move out (we are Army) for another 19 months or so.  Our grocery budget is killing us!

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#3 of 52 Old 06-06-2013, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

My family is vegetarian so it may make some difference in what we eat but lots of rice, beans, potatoes, pasta, bread, fruits, and vegetables and some dairy. It still seems that groceries suck the money out of budget.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#4 of 52 Old 06-06-2013, 08:19 AM

Had a great job interview today at the local community college.  I will be excited to see whether I get offered the job or not.  They said I should know in a week or 2.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#5 of 52 Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Yay for a good intereview Lila! I pray you get it!

AFM- I have been putting postings on care.com, our communities fb page, wyzant, AND craigslist offering tutoring.  Just over the last few days I have been blessed to schedule two tutoring interviews (one I start tutoring for sure next Tuesday).  I also interviewed for a part time babysitting job that would be 2 afternoons a week and I have been asked to watch another 3 girls occasionally.   The babysitting pays 10.00/hour and the tutoring pays 25.00.  I found out this weekend if I got the two day a week job which I really pray for because it is 5 hours each day so 50.00/day or 100.00/week.

If I just got that job and then tutored those two kids once a week each I would be bringing home 150.00/week or about 600.00/month which would really help us out.  The mom said she also puts in for overtime frequently so some weeks I would work 3 or 4 days.   This would be perfect because she is pregnant as well and due 2 weeks after me.  If I worked up until I have Little Man she could go on maternity leave then.

If I do this I will be super busy of course.  Homeschooling Dd, teaching her co-op Friday mornings, babysitting, and tutoring.  So I am praying for energy!  Please pray that I am able to secure these jobs and that I have the energy to complete them sufficiently!

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#6 of 52 Old 06-06-2013, 10:30 AM

I will have to see about getting set up with wyzant for tutoring. Right now I am just trying to get sufficient rest so I don't always feel exhausted. Twelve weeks today in my twin pregnancy.

#7 of 52 Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 AM

I can imagine feeling exhausted.  I did my student teaching during my first trimester and I have no idea how I survived it!

-Meagan

#8 of 52 Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi! I'm excited to see this board--I just read DR's book and am all stoked about it, but could definitely use some support!

How are you all doing your budgets? I pay all of my bills online (they almost all come out automatically). We can do envelopes for groceries and things, but i want to keep track of online stuff somewhere. is anyone using an online budget system that you like?

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#9 of 52 Old 06-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyisa View Post

Hi! I'm excited to see this board--I just read DR's book and am all stoked about it, but could definitely use some support!

How are you all doing your budgets? I pay all of my bills online (they almost all come out automatically). We can do envelopes for groceries and things, but i want to keep track of online stuff somewhere. is anyone using an online budget system that you like?

prettyisa, welcome!  This has been a great boon to me since spring 2012 when my DH and I got on the DR band wagon.  I think you will find people that are willing to share ideas and encourage you here on your path to financial freedom.

For budgets, I actually use a spreadsheet to do my budget.  I had an online one, but I wasn't keeping up with it.  I too have most of my bills paid by direct withdrawal so I don't miss payment deadline. We do envelopes for groceries and misc stuff.  We use our debit car for gas so we can pay at the pump because the cheapest gas is in a seedy part of town.

#10 of 52 Old 06-06-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Haven't posted anything about my progress in awhile.

I did end up taking that part time job that I was considering back in May - I actually now have 4 part-time jobs and between them all will be working full-time.

I am in the process of sorting out childcare for the fall. Our free babysitter ( DS) will be heading off to that private high school that I am working so hard to pay the tuition for :)  

Still stuck on DR's pre-step 1 but that's okay - I can live with that for now. Too busy learning the ins and outs of my new jobs to fret over my not making any progress with DR's steps.

Keep up the good work everyone! 

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 231/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012) Ramsey's BS1 $468.31
#11 of 52 Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 AM

So my prayers for finding a babysitting and tutoring job have panned out!  Not only did I find one job, I found 3 and possibly 4!  As of next week I start tutoring one kid every Tuesday afternoon, then I babysit for two boys two afternoons a week for 5 hours each, and then I will also be doing occasional babysitting for another family.  I also have a meeting Saturday to talk to a lady about tutoring her daughter as well.  So right now this is next weeks schedule:

Saturday- Meeting and babyshower

Sunday- Free thank heaven

Monday- Meeting @ 10 then babysitting 12:15-3:30

Tuesday- Tutor @ 1

Wednesday- babysit 1:30-6:30

Thursday- babysit 1:30-6:30

Friday- Free

But starting August 16th I will also be teaching a co-op class Friday mornings lol.  I just pray that I have the energy to be able to keep up with this all AND that Dd doesn't get lost in all the chaos.  I want to still make this summer extra special for her since it is her last summer as an only child.

-Meagan

#12 of 52 Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 AM

That's great, John16! What class are you going to be teaching? Are you expecting another baby?

We're starting to plan for #2, which makes me nervous because even though we have the cheapest daycare I could find (we picked it because we liked it best--being way less expensive than the competition was just a nice bonus!) the idea of paying for two seems really overwhelming, but I need the health insurance at my job until we are through having babies, so I'm kind of stuck.

I feel like this month has been a whole series of nasty little financial surprises. Just when I thought things were going well we got a bill from a credit card that I thought didn't have anything on it (spring clothes shopping catching up!) and then realized that the check we sent to our tax preparer never actually got mailed, so now we apologized and are waiting for that to come out, too. I have such a cute little debt thermometer on my fridge with NO ink on it at all! greensad.gif

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#13 of 52 Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 AM

ok my EF is -70 dollars this month had to replace a tire. But this is the first time in my life i had an emergancy fund felt great to be able to pay for it without wondering what bill won't be paid. i paid 250 on my SL so the balance owed is 1700 almost to the end of my bills. other good news is yearly reveiws are coming up so i might have a raise next month. got my fingers crossed we will see.

#14 of 52 Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM

prettyisa-  I would be teaching the foundations class with our Classical Conversations co-op.  Not a lot of money, like 1500 a year and I pay 500 to be in the co-op, but it's something.  And yes I am pregnant, #2 is due mid-October.

-Meagan

#15 of 52 Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

2 things:

1) We have NO income for this summer. I just pulled all the cash we need to sustain us from now until September so it didn't stay this imaginary comfy looking pillow that would just get flittered away through debit transactions and screw us in September when there's nothing left. I "spent" it all into envelopes: 15 weeks of groceries, 15 weeks of gas, 3 months of monthly bills. There's nothing left- spent, done, all accounted for we'll just squeek by.

2) I am SOOoooo torn about DS1's schooling. I've been homeschooling while I was on mat leave. Now our choices are: return to crapy toxic public school for free, or pay $6,000/yr (which we would have to borrow...and we'll NEVER get past BS3) for him to go to a private Waldorf School. ....or really fight the public school system to get him to be able to go to the school I work at, ahh...that would be nice...and free...

Or do I let him go to school, realize he still hates it, then work part time the following year so I can homeschool him again.

Or do we think outside the box, find a great homeschool curriculum, and have him continue homeschooling while we call in a nanny or something.  ....I need a fortune-teller to tell me what the next 3 years of life will look like, please!!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#16 of 52 Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 AM

eirural--that's a tough choice! Are there any other alternate schools around you? I would be inclined to try getting him into the school you work at, since that might be the easiest once you actually get him there. Or maybe someone is also homeschooling nearby with similar methods and you could pay for private tutoring? Good luck!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#17 of 52 Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 AM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post

2 things:

1) We have NO income for this summer. I just pulled all the cash we need to sustain us from now until September so it didn't stay this imaginary comfy looking pillow that would just get flittered away through debit transactions and screw us in September when there's nothing left. I "spent" it all into envelopes: 15 weeks of groceries, 15 weeks of gas, 3 months of monthly bills. There's nothing left- spent, done, all accounted for we'll just squeek by.

2) I am SOOoooo torn about DS1's schooling. I've been homeschooling while I was on mat leave. Now our choices are: return to crapy toxic public school for free, or pay $6,000/yr (which we would have to borrow...and we'll NEVER get past BS3) for him to go to a private Waldorf School. ....or really fight the public school system to get him to be able to go to the school I work at, ahh...that would be nice...and free...

Or do I let him go to school, realize he still hates it, then work part time the following year so I can homeschool him again.

Or do we think outside the box, find a great homeschool curriculum, and have him continue homeschooling while we call in a nanny or something.  ....I need a fortune-teller to tell me what the next 3 years of life will look like, please!!

Wow, I'm surprised that would be such a fight.  You'd think that they would practice professional courtesy and be happy to have you bring your son to your school.  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#18 of 52 Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 AM

ok i am trying to get out of debt but am thinking ahead to christmas. how do others handle christmas? my plan is to save 25/dollars a paycheck into an envolope right now i have 50/dollars in it. in october what ever i have in it should be what i spend. does this sound doable?

#19 of 52 Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 PM

Hi Pollyana--I think that sounds totally doable, depending on how you do presents and how many people you're buying for. I finally (FINALLY) convinced my extended family that it would be nice to only buy for two people instead of everyone, so we do a name draw and then have a limit on how much we spend for each of our two people. That and a white elephant exchange are it for the cousins, parents, siblings, and other assorted relatives. At home we keep it pretty simple, especially since our kid is young and is getting tons of toys from grandparents still. And we try really hard to avoid gift exchanges with friends. But whatever you have when you get to Christmas is an ok amount to spend--if everyone is getting a mug of cocoa mix and a card because that's what you can afford don't worry that you can't buy them each a new ferrari. You can save that for when you're out of debt and have the money to spend!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#20 of 52 Old 06-12-2013, 06:43 PM

prettyisa that is what i got everyone last yr LOL mug of cocoa they had a special at walmart for the 2 mugs so i got 2 gifts for the price of one. this yr they may get cards with a bit of cash in them. My grandma used to have a christmas club acct at the bank when i was a kid. it is how she saved for christmas every year.

#21 of 52 Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 AM

eirual, that is a tough call - $6000 a year for an elementary students seems steep for private school.  The idea of finding a private tutor actually sounds like a better idea and probably cheaper.  What grade is he in?

Pollyanna, that is what we try to do. We have a "sinking fund" in our saving account ear marked for Christmas so that when those expenses come - gifts, travel, etc - we have them.

AFM, still waiting on word about jobs post June 30 when I get my last paycheck from my current job.  Hoping and praying that one of my recent interviews will be "the one".

#22 of 52 Old 06-14-2013, 05:29 AM

pollyanna--ha! It's such a good gift, though--I really like presents that you use and then are done with--no need to find room for more stuff! I like making candy for presents--it's not that hard, and people are always really impressed.

We're at a bit of an impasse at my house. We had originally wanted to do a big addition to our house (basically finishing the attic). It would double the space, which right now clocks in at a little under 700 sq ft for 2 adults and a toddler. Right now we're fine for space, but whenever we have more babies it's going to get really tight. The bank appraisal came in lower than expected, so now they're offering us a little home loan and a big personal loan to do the work. Technically we could afford it, and it wouldn't put us into negative equity, but it's scaring me to think of taking on another big chunk of debt for space that we don't need right this minute. On the other hand, having a playroom and a bedroom big enough for us to each get out on our side of the bed instead of scooching to the end sounds heavenly.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#23 of 52 Old 06-14-2013, 07:37 AM

How long would it take you to save the amount needed to do the renovation since you don't need it "right now"? The thing with debt is that you never can count on having enough for the minimum payment - you get pregnant, someone loses a job, a car needs replacing. Saving toward what you know is good for your family and something you want can leave with you room to breath if something unexpected happens.

#24 of 52 Old 06-14-2013, 09:03 AM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyisa View Post

We're at a bit of an impasse at my house. We had originally wanted to do a big addition to our house (basically finishing the attic). It would double the space, which right now clocks in at a little under 700 sq ft for 2 adults and a toddler. Right now we're fine for space, but whenever we have more babies it's going to get really tight. The bank appraisal came in lower than expected, so now they're offering us a little home loan and a big personal loan to do the work. Technically we could afford it, and it wouldn't put us into negative equity, but it's scaring me to think of taking on another big chunk of debt for space that we don't need right this minute. On the other hand, having a playroom and a bedroom big enough for us to each get out on our side of the bed instead of scooching to the end sounds heavenly.

Interest rates are going to rise (they have already started to do so--mortgage rates are nudging up), so if you're sure this is something you really want to do, I'd get the loan now, personally. 

(sorry, I know I just said that on the "getting out of debt" thread.)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#25 of 52 Old 06-15-2013, 04:58 PM

good news because i have started working the overnight shift 2 days a week i run shifts at work. so i was told today that i need to start making the same as certified managers that is about a .60 cent raise but means i can pay about 40 dollars more a month on the student loan i will be able to pay it off in nov instead of dec :).

I'm not counting my chicks before they hatch but am very hopeful to have this last debt paid off and on to saving for a down payment on a house

#26 of 52 Old 06-15-2013, 10:18 PM

half way through the month and I'm just checking in. 

paid $1800 extra on my car this month so I can refi for less than 80% of value to get a 2.9% rate vs the 7.9% I have right now

and then I had to write a $1055 check to the IRS because apparently I owed that from taking paid family leave back in 2011. I went in and asked about the charge and it turns out that's what it's from. I couldn't believe it. Why do they pay it to you just to take it back, so stupid.

here's to hoping that when this house purchase finally becomes available that I'll still have some of the EF left.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#27 of 52 Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 PM

I can't believe I forgot to mention that AAMCO ended up fixing my transmission for free even though it was way out of warranty. Total blessing seeing as it's a $4000 job that I already had to pay once.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#28 of 52 Old 06-16-2013, 07:11 PM

Wow, fixed the transmission even though it was out of warranty!  That is indeed a blessing!

#29 of 52 Old 06-17-2013, 11:15 PM

yeah, my DH knows just about everyone in his home town so I wasn't surprised that he was friends with the guy at the shop. A blessing indeed!

#30 of 52 Old 06-18-2013, 05:02 AM

I've been following along but haven't posted in a couple months. We are continuing along and day to day bills are getting paid, we have paid a very large chunk of the car loan that we refinanced last fall and we have no new debt. What also have our $1000 emergency fund. It still feels like we are struggling to pay for anything "extra" and that the more we save for, the more expenses come up. We have also been in our home for 10 or so years now and we have lots of updating/repairs we would like to do but finding cash is very slow. I guess we need to revisit our budget and get our motivation back - we were very focused when we were doing FPU last year.

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page