Getting Out of Debt- July 2013 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 07-27-2013, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Pollyanna, glad you had the emergency fund to raid. That has been something that has really helped me relax about finances more.  I wish someone would have told me about that when I was in high school and just how important it was to keep at least $1000 in the bank.  I am glad it is helping your stress level be less.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#32 of 43 Old 07-27-2013, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a great attitude., Pollyanna. We've had several things happen like this and while it stinks, it feels so empowering to be able to fix what needs to be fixed and have the money to do it. I remember from FPU that Dave was saying that with out an EF then you have both a car and a money problem, not just a car problem.
Hope it is fixed quickly!
#33 of 43 Old 07-27-2013, 03:43 PM

well I have to get a new car. The engine needs to be replaced on this car so since I can't afford that I will getting a new car. The place I bought the car had sent a gift certificate  for 500 toward a down payment for another car. well I kept it so now I will us that and a couple hundred from my EF for the downpayment. this just means I will have to watch my budget and will take a bit longer to pay off studentloan.

#34 of 43 Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 PM

Pollyanna, that's really unfortunate - Sorry to hear about your car woes. It's a good thing you kept that voucher!

Are you able to trade your old car in at all? Or sell your old car in "as is" condition and contribute that money towards your new car loan?

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#35 of 43 Old 07-28-2013, 02:38 AM

well i'm going to call one of those places that will pay you cash for junk cars. I won't get much but every little bit will help. I hate car payments. but well I have to do what I have to do.

I guess if I was farther along on the DR plan I would have been able to fix this car. I'm not so I guess back to Step 1.

#36 of 43 Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM

Pollyanna, sorry to hear about your car woes. That is tough.  Have you looked into any craigslist or private sellers to see if you could find a car that works for $1000 or less?  At least something to tide you over until you can save more money for a car you would really rather have? I have found car payments to be the biggest drain on my financial outlook because they seem so never ending.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#37 of 43 Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

I would totally try to buy a car on the street. DR says that a car payment is a no no. Your biggest wealth building tool is your income, so try to not have so many payments and you'll get through his baby steps faster.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#38 of 43 Old 07-28-2013, 11:30 AM

That's awesome Orangemama!

Well it looks like our debt free journey might be on hold for a little while.  Well, kind of.  I think I mentioned before that it looks like we will be headed back to Texas in less than a year or so.  Dh has been talking about how he would really like to go ahead and build a barn/apartment on our land (that I inherited) when we go back.  Something nice enough for us to live in 5-10 years while we pay it off and save for our dream home in the process.  I see his reasoning and because of this we have decided to stay in 'Storm Cloud Mode' and are still working like crazy but we are saving the money instead.  Our plan is to still pay off our last CC and then keep paying the minimum on the car and SL until we build and see what our finances look like afterwards.  It's crazy but I think we can do it!

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#39 of 43 Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM

thanks for reminding me about private sales. I just remembered this morning a girl at work just bought a new car and dealer only wanted to give her 500 as a trade in she said no. I will ask her at work in the morning if she still has it for sale :) I might be able to get it for 1k. :) fingers crossed.

lt was so freeing to be able to pay off the car I have now. well if I can sell the non running car  couple hundred and get the other car for 1k I might be able to be back on track by sept.

goodluck Meagan :)

#40 of 43 Old 07-31-2013, 07:29 AM

We were paid and I'm now up to 19% of our debt gone. This month is going to be another very tight month (no spending money at all, except for the children's homeschool supplies and any extra curricular classes) :( but it's worth it seeing those numbers in red getting smaller with each passing month.

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#41 of 43 Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 AM

Good news tonight I was talking about my car problems at work Monday and one of my co workers had another mechanic she trusted that would look at my car. :) well he looked at it and said he didn't think it was the engine. He towed it to his place it needed a whole new timeing chain plus the gears so between the labor and parts cost 380 dollars. so after I moved all my cash back into the correct envolopes I have 250 in EF and 85 in the new car envelope. it will take me a few weeks to get it back to where it was so this month I will just pay min on SL but will be back to hit that hard. 

#42 of 43 Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 AM

Pollyanna that is really good news.  Always helps to get a little help from your friends (or those they know).

#43 of 43 Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

I put up the new thread for August, come check it out!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page