Summer Pantry Challenge - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 08-20-2013, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post

Seeing the question about frozen cubed butternut squash reminded me that I have several packages of Cascadian Farms butternut squash puree in the freezer.  What can I do with this?  I originally intended to serve it like a mashed vegetable of the side, but it's too runny for that, so they've been sitting in there for months.

Could you use it in a quick bread instead of pumpkin?  I've done that with sweet potato puree.

Your message reminded my about my cubed squash...I think I will try adding a bit into our enchiladas tonight.

#32 of 47 Old 08-21-2013, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Can't you mix purees into spaghetti sauce and chili and stuff like that?  Kinda like when people on WIC try to get rid of the bazillions of jars of babyfood they get that the baby doesn't eat.  

We are making muffins from leftover brown sugar oatmeal from this morning and probably some veggie stock this afternoon in the crockpot from all the trimmings and single bites of carrot or celery or whatever that the kids don't finish.  I just realized that we'll be losing our food stamps in a month and so eating out of the freezer/pantry will be pretty important very shortly.  I'm going to really appreciate all that garden produce that I've been freezing and canning very shortly.  It's almost time for concord grapes to be ripe as well so that's going to fill up the freezer quickly with juice and all the canning jars with jelly.  I know we'll be REALLY grateful this year for the free grapes.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#33 of 47 Old 08-21-2013, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hmm.  Using it in muffins or butternut squash bread could work.  It's probably perfect for butternut squash soup, but the kids aren't fans of that.  I'll give the muffin thing a try, especially since those would go well in lunchboxes.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#34 of 47 Old 08-21-2013, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is a recipe by Ellie Krieger - macaroni and cheese made with squash puree. I bet you could google it and find it. IIRC, it was yummy!

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#35 of 47 Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 AM

Using up the last 1lb pack of grass fed beef I got on sale at Aldi a few months ago to make crockpot meatballs for the kids for lunch and to freeze in canning jars for meatball sandwiches for school lunches.  I also made yogurt yesterday and will be making frozen yogurt pops with the last few shriveled up old blueberries in the back of the fridge.  My kids LOVE yogurt pops.

I'm getting bored with our typical black bean go-to meals.  Anyone have an awesome recipe I should know about?  I buy the 1lb bags of dried beans and cook them in my crockpot and freeze them in baggies.  My crockpot is just the absolute most irreplaceable item in my kitchen.

#36 of 47 Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I need a crockpot and a blender.  Those are on my 'wishlists'

We have been stocking up and eating out of the pantry.  Keeping a good rotation going here

Tongiht was salad to get rid of the veggies that were wilting. and PIzza - more veggies  yummm

I am also making GF bread for yarn club tomorrow and using up some frozen nectarines yummmy.

Since the oven will be on I might make a double batch make make blueberry for us!   No sense in heating up the house for a single item ya know??

I've got lots of frozen fruit to do something wtih and gosh a blender would be so useful... they are on sale now with BTS stuff... I have 2 coupons for KOHLS  $10 off anything and $10 off $30, i think I can combine them and maybe I can get one appliance??  hummm have to go check it out this weekend.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#37 of 47 Old 08-22-2013, 05:38 PM

So happy to say we've been doing really well! We also cleaned out our freezer (found my placenta way in the back, need to plant that thing!) and we are done to bare minimum in there ..some grass-fed meats, some fish, and a few packages of appetizer things from Whole Foods I got for a party, and haven't made. Thinking of doing a movie + snack night for the kids, they will love that! Snacks for dinner! The pantry is going well too - I actually ended up finding a lot of things we can't eat now (cutting back/out gluten) so I gave them to my Dad (who gets his food from the food pantry and happily took everything I had to give..) Doing lots of cooking lately! Tonight we had a roast chicken with leeks/carrots and onions..and than I used the rest of the meat for a chicken salad, and I will use the bones for a broth. YUM 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#38 of 47 Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 PM

We've been doing well too.

We still have too much food in our house redface.gif.  But we have been concentrating on using the items that we have had a while.  We'v been using up a lot, throwing out a little, and donating some to the food pantry.

We've done a good job of keeping up with the garden too - except for the blackberries...there are just too many.  (We had a scaled down garden this year and are still giving away quite a bit.)  I am not canning or freezing this year...I'm sure I will regret it this winter.

I've thoroughly cleaned and organized the fridges and freezers.  I am also going to change my buying habits.  I buy too much each month from UNFI...I am going to be more selective.  That said...yesterday's order included 50 pounds of beans.  I've always bought Eden canned beans but they have gotten so expensive.  So I bought dried pinto and northern beans; they were not available in 5# bags...so I bought the 25# bags.  I didn't realize just how many beans make up 25 pounds!

#39 of 47 Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry.  I didn't check back on this.  I just chucked peeled apples and peaches into a pot with a little bit of water and cooked them until they were all soft and mushy and I ran them through my food processor after.  I've also done it in my crockpot before.

Thank you.

Our peaches are gone but I will remember for next year.

We are still picking apples and pears, and the plums will be ready soon, so I might try it with those. 

#40 of 47 Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Can I join? shy.gif

I am a Norwegian, single mama to my 12 YO LoveBug. Living in Norway is extremely expensive, so this is a challenge right up my alley.

We just moved into a new apartment 8 days ago, so I don`t have a lot of old food laying around, but I have a bad habit of not using what is in my freezer/fridge, because it looks boring/I don`t want that kind of food that day etc. And, then it goes bad and I throw it out... whistling.gif

So, I need a challenge like this! orngbiggrin.gif

Today I am making chicken meatballs in a creamy tomatosauce. I`m serving it with ww pitapockets and a salad.

Tomorrow my son is with his father, and I am eating leftovers.

Sunday I`m trying to use up a bag of chickenthighs. I saw a Jamie Oliver show on tv last night, and he made something he called sticky chicken. It looked yummy, and I think I have enough

spices etc. to try and make something similar, atleast. Serve with a salad and maybe rice.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#41 of 47 Old 08-23-2013, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I need a crockpot and a blender.  Those are on my 'wishlists'

Check Goodwill. I always see some nicer, newish at mine, for $10 or so. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#42 of 47 Old 08-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm curious if your sticky chicken is similar to mine!  Actually, it's not my recipe, it's been on the internet for as long as I can remember.  Make a spice rub out of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and other things, and roast the seasoned chicken in the oven at 250F for 5 hours?

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#43 of 47 Old 08-24-2013, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Check Goodwill. I always see some nicer, newish at mine, for $10 or so. 

got a basically free crockpot at kohls today... $18 and I had $10 off anything and $10 off $30. they combined the coupons plus I had a email %15 off your purchase.  I picked up a couple other things to get to about $75 so after coupons I would have $50 for a reward for next week .  Got a couple little jammies for my neice for xmas and a shirt for me, the crock pot and a 2 nighties for me, for around $50.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#44 of 47 Old 08-27-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

got a basically free crockpot at kohls today... $18 and I had $10 off anything and $10 off $30. they combined the coupons plus I had a email %15 off your purchase.  I picked up a couple other things to get to about $75 so after coupons I would have $50 for a reward for next week .  Got a couple little jammies for my neice for xmas and a shirt for me, the crock pot and a 2 nighties for me, for around $50.

Nice! I actually just found a Crockpot Little Dipper for $5 at Goodwill to add to my growing herd of crockpots. :-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#45 of 47 Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 AM

Spiderdust: I never made the chicken. My internet fell out that day, so I had no way of finding the recipe! So I made something else with the chicken.

Yesterday I made soft taco`s with lettuce, minced beef with seasoning, sour cream, cheese etc. I wanted to use the beef, cause it was close to it`s expiration date.

On Tuesday I made a nice meal with the leftover chicken from Sunday. (I made a stirfry on Sunday, with chicken and lots of veggies.) So on Tuesday I threw all the chicken and veggies in a pan, added some more veggies and poured over some heavy cream and some cajun spicemix I make. Served it with rice.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#46 of 47 Old 08-29-2013, 06:29 AM

Just baked up some banana cinnamon muffins with overripe bananas I had frozen.  Will be sticking some in the kids' lunches at school over the next few days.  I have a pot of brown rice on the stove right now simmering in homemade veggie stock(from peelings and ends of veggies I save and freeze) to make stir fry over rice for me tonight and chicken and rice soup for the kids for lunches.  I need a good lentil recipe though.  Anyone???

#47 of 47 Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
 I need a good lentil recipe though.  Anyone???

Lentil soup - and you can do it in the crockpot if you want. 

1 onion, diced

2 carrots, diced

3 ribs celery, diced

2-3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 large can of diced tomatoes

ham hock or cubed ham (optional)

8 cups of chicken stock or water

1.5 cups of dried lentils

1 teaspoon thyme

salt and pepper to taste

Toss it all in the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours or high for about 3. Serve with crusty bread. It's super good. 

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page