Summer Pantry Challenge - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Between wanting to clear space for all of the garden bounty I will be freezing and canning very soon and being the recipient of a ton of leftovers from our recent family reunion, I am doing a pantry challenge from now until school starts at the end of August.

Goals:

*Use up all of the fresh fruits and vegetables from the family reunion before they have a chance to spoil.

*Use up all of the "Why in the world did I buy this?" items in my cupboards.

*Make space in the freezer for my garden harvest.

*Create room in the grocery budget to stock up on non-perishable things we need for winter.

Anyone care to join me?

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#2 of 47 Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Was just thinking about this thread.  Absolutely I will join you.  I actually JUST cleaned up my pantry shelving yesterday and have a bag to bring to goodwill and my freezer NEEDS to be cleaned out and eaten up.  Planning to bring some stuff like veggie and chicken stock to my mom's tomorrow I think.  

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#3 of 47 Old 07-10-2013, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would love to join! I've been feeling off in the kitchen lately, so my family has been eating out WAY too much. I need to start cooking again, and what better way than to use up what we have and not spend money for a while?

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#4 of 47 Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Yay!!  Some  "partners in crime"!

I haven't planned very far in advance, but my dinner menu for the rest of the week looks like this:

Tonight:    HUGE pasta salad (great way to use up all the bits and bobs of fresh veggies, cheeses and the tiny shrimp in a tin....when did I buy tiny shrimp in a tin?  WHY did I buy tiny shrimp in a tin???)

watermelon  (Family Reunion leftovers)

Thursday:  fish tacos

cabbage salad

Friday:      tomato soup

grilled cheese sandwiches

cantaloupe

Saturday:   homemade veggie burgers

"burger fixin's"

leftover pasta salad

leftover melon

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#5 of 47 Old 07-12-2013, 04:48 PM

In.

#6 of 47 Old 07-12-2013, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Yeah, I'm in. Got to move the last of the home canned veggies and frozen stuff from last year before I whip out the canner for this year's stuff in few weeks. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#7 of 47 Old 07-15-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

It's good to see our little group growing!

My dinner menu for this week (breakfast is cold cereal, fruit and/or yogurt; lunch is leftovers or peanut butter sandwiches with fruit)

Sunday: chicken Caesar salad

crackers and hummus

Monday: French bread pizza

garden salad

Tuesday: hard-shell tacos (Family Reunion leftovers - I usually do soft flour tortillas for tacos)

Wednesday: broccoli cheese soup (in the Crock-Pot)

dinner rolls (from the deep freeze)

Thursday:  spaghetti

garlic bread

salad

Friday:     Crock-Pot Cranberry chicken

rice

salad

Saturday:  Sloppy Joes (from freezer)

Jell-O salad

peas

#8 of 47 Old 07-16-2013, 05:15 PM

Small progress, but we ate the last of the sweet corn from the freezer the other night. It was a bit past it's prime, but with lots of butter and salt it was edible. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#9 of 47 Old 07-17-2013, 09:51 AM

I'm in.  Same reasons - mainly I want to use up the lingering bits in the pantry and also eat through what is left in the freezer so I can defrost it and get it ready for more meat this fall.  Also starting into the new preserving season and I want to use up the leftovers from past years.    I do need to save on our grocery bills as well.  I have been doing this for the past couple of weeks and managed to use up some pantry goods but there is still quite a bit to go!  I'll be working on a meal plan later.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#10 of 47 Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 PM

I'm TOTALLY IN. 

We are going on vacation in a week and I've been wanting to get rid of everything in the fridge - and not have to go food shopping. And than once we come back, I want to go through our pantry and start over for the winter (and make room for bulk shopping, meats and freezer stuff from the garden..) 

Today we are going out to dinner (errands) 

Tomorrow : salad from the garden + fish sticks (from the freezer) + cous cous or something from the pantry 

Friday: NO IDEA YET! 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#11 of 47 Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 PM

Ugh.  It's been so hot lately that I haven't wanted to cook anything.  For dinner tonight: http://beautythatmoves.typepad.com/beauty_that_moves/2013/07/the-other-day-i-found-myself-craving-a-meal-rich-in-protein-perhaps-i-was-simply-craving-a-meal-and-the-protein-part-was.html  Between the garden, the fridge, and the freezer I have everything for it.  

This morning we did the last of two different kinds of bread for toast and some watermelon.  Snack was cookies I baked early this morning when it wasn't overwhelmingly hot.  This afternoon's snack is the rest of the watermelon and some yogurt I froze in silicone tubes.  

Thursday:  bagels and cream cheese with strawberries and blueberries.  Chicken quesadillas and spinach salad.  Dinner with their dad.

Friday: eggs, toast, and blueberries.  probably a salad from whatever we pick up at the farmer's market that morning.  Dinner with dad again for their overnight.

#12 of 47 Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM

I'd like to join too.

I need a perpetual pantry/freezer challenge since I am a bit of a food hoarder redface.gif.

My first challenge is to use up last year's frozen blueberries and blackberries since it is time to pick again.

#13 of 47 Old 07-20-2013, 06:14 AM

Well I have started stocking up the freezer/pantry again here and there with summer garden produce but I'm still using up what's left of last year's stuff.  I just canned up 4 quarts of bread and  butter pickles and 3 quarts of peaches and froze 2lbs of sugar snap peas and several baggies full of swiss chard and kale.  This pantry challenge is actually a really good idea for us this month because we have precious little money left for the end of the month for food.  I think I can attribute it to the extreme heat wave we've been having and my lack of ability to cook from scratch and our consumption of fresh fruits and veggies instead.  I haven't cooked a real meal in over 2 weeks now.  We've been eating a LOT of fresh cold from the fridge fruit and salads so that hasn't been cheap.  Can't wait until my tomatoes start ripening because we are about to be inundated by them.

#14 of 47 Old 07-20-2013, 07:47 PM

Today, I used up some of the frozen blueberries, two frozen pie crusts, and a jar of sauerkraut (not in the same recipe wink1.gif).

#15 of 47 Old 07-22-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

Ugh.  It's been so hot lately that I haven't wanted to cook anything. 

Same here... makes it so hard to get into the kitchen, especially for baking. 

In the last week I've only managed to use one jar of apricot jam for a crockpot apricot chicken, and tonight I'm using a jar of tomatoes in marinara sauce. 

#16 of 47 Old 07-22-2013, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I just need to meal plan better.  I'm in....

what we have needs to last until 8/7

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#17 of 47 Old 07-23-2013, 04:26 AM

Had to go to the store for yogurt and fresh fruit yesterday.  I was going to MAKE our yogurt but with the price of milk lately, it's almost the same cost and I'm low on "give a crap" lately.  Today is my daughter's birthday and we are headed to the children's museum for the day and bringing lunch so that'll help us get rid of some pantry stuff.  I suck at meal planning though.  Also, I'm making a cake tonight for her birthday so that uses some pantry supplies.  A rainbow mustache cake.  headscratch.gif 13 year olds.  I'll come back with a more definitive list of foods when the day is over.  I'm trying to caffeinate and watching legos take over my living room.

#18 of 47 Old 07-23-2013, 04:47 PM

kiddo had egg salad for lunch and turkey sandwich

and is having left over hamb helper for dinner with other 'odds and ends'

Breakfast was 2 bananas

lunch was 2 ricecakes, larabar, dried fruit, applesauce

finished salad stuff for my dinner

packed lunch for tomorrow

2 rice cakes, 2 little jellies (from some restauraunt. lol), apple sauce, dried fruit... sense a theme?

bananas left for breakfast and a lara bar

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#19 of 47 Old 07-23-2013, 07:09 PM

I should do this.  Last night I was laying in bed lamenting having no butter and no cheese and no eggs and no time or energy or working left foot to go to the grocery store.  So this morning the kids and I made butter and cheese (we have 2 milk cows).  I had just been using the extra milk to fertilize my garden...  Anyway.  I really need to do better with what I have rather than go to the grocery store.  Anyway..  We made 2 lbs of butter and 7 lbs of mozz that we froze.  I am also fermenting and canning from my garden.  We seriously have no shortage of food- and no real reason to go to the grocery store....  Other than I feel like I need to get out :)  So other than eggs I am going to try to stay home and use up what I have.  

Wed.

Breakfast- crockpot oatmeal with canned apple pie filling

Lunch- freezer burritos

Supper- delivered from a friend on account of my hurt foot :)

Thusday

Breakfast- crockpot oatmeal with blackberries and cream

Lunch-  rotisserie chicken (chicken from my freezer) with frozen corn on the cob and new potatoes

Supper- Crockpot stew

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#20 of 47 Old 07-23-2013, 07:22 PM

Iowa- I wanna come eat at your house...  So sorry about the foot.

I agree, its not that there is 'nothing to eat'  It's that I need to make what we have work.  I mean really, I'm 39 years old... I should be able to figure this stuff out.

#21 of 47 Old 07-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Yesterday was a hit.  Mustache cake was a win.  It was vaguely reminiscent of the bat signal but....ROTFLMAO.gif

So yogurt and fruit for breakfast, lunch at the children's museum with goldfish, ham roll-ups for the kids and hummus with lettuce and cucumber rollups for me, water, and random assorted bits of fruit.    Dinner ended up being spaghetti with meat sauce (vegetarian for me), garden green beans, and salad with homemade garlic french bread.  LOTS of pantry ingredients there and leftovers for lunches.  

Today was cereal for breakfast, lunch program at the park today with friends, and we'll have to see for dinner.  I'm thinking something with beans and quinoa and fresh veggies.  Or maybe a frittata and quinoa on the side????  Definitely making fruit smoothies for snack this afternoon, it's pretty hot and humid again.

#22 of 47 Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 PM

We've been eating at home and from the freezer/pantry all week. I've been packing lunches so that means (rice cakes and jam, fruit, lara bars etc) DS has been having left overs for lunch. Dinner was Hamb. helper for ds one night. Lots of yogurt for DS, granola bars, Most of the fresh produce is gone (I had a salad last night for dinner and lunch today). The fresh fruit is almost gone too. Next week is looking like lots of frozen items. More Hamb. helper for DS. Cake to finish for DS. Chicken sausage and french fries one night Pasta and sauce one night (garlic bread for ds) No food stamps until 8/7 so this is going to become tricky. I have plenty of lara bars for breakfast and ds has granola bars for his swim team practices. I have fruit strips for my snacks if needed. I think I have a huge bag of chicken in the freezer and we have boxes of rice and frozen veggies too. There is a 'dinner in a bag' for ds hummm seems like lots of DS food and not alot of mommy food.

#23 of 47 Old 07-27-2013, 12:35 PM

I was able to use up two packages of frozen GF English muffins this week.

I also used a bunch of frozen blackberries (we are picking fresh now but I have not been freezing; I am giving away what we cannot eat.)

I also used two boxes of frozen spinach littles.

Any ideas for frozen cubed butternut squash?  I have a couple of pounds to use up.

#24 of 47 Old 07-27-2013, 06:52 PM

Only got produce at the store. forgot rice milk ;(

Ate dinner out with a friend (their treat) and DS was gone all day.

Tomorrow planning on:

DS to friends for afternoon and lunch there

Dinner: dinner in a bag for ds,  salad for me

Made some brownies GF and DS has cake to finish up/

Need to look for 'fun' lunches for work next week.  ugh

#25 of 47 Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM

Been plugging along here. Need a few things from Sprouts Market today and I have Bountiful Baskets pickup on Saturday.

Stocked up 123 Gluten Free mixes that were on mega clearance at the store (wasnt planning but they were 75% off or more) I can have pancakes again!!!.  

DS had hamburger helper and leftovers the past couple nights.  Tonight is apple chicken sausage and french fries. The last of the broccoli and dip. and maybe salad.  A bit of cake for him for dessert and I have GF cookies.

Lunch today is more left overs or a freezer meal.

#26 of 47 Old 07-31-2013, 03:55 PM

#27 of 47 Old 07-31-2013, 03:59 PM

We are still at it.  Pancakes with apple peach sauce in them this morning.  Lunch was simple peanut butter and jelly with grapes and home grown green beans at the park.  Dinner: http://beautythatmoves.typepad.com/beauty_that_moves/2013/07/the-other-day-i-found-myself-craving-a-meal-rich-in-protein-perhaps-i-was-simply-craving-a-meal-and-the-protein-part-was.html  The tomatoes, chives, and parsley are all homegrown.  SO good.  

#28 of 47 Old 08-02-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

Pancakes with apple peach sauce in them this morning.  

Sounds good...Can you give a recipe for this apple peach sauce?

We haven't been using up pantry or freezer items.  We are picking so much from the garden that we are just trying to keep up with eating the new pickings (and giving away some of it.)  We picked a lot of peaches and blackberries this week and our neighbors said they had enough and I still have frozen from last year.  The tomatoes and peppers are ripening slowly which is sort of nice - we can keep up with them. 

#29 of 47 Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry.  I didn't check back on this.  I just chucked peeled apples and peaches into a pot with a little bit of water and cooked them until they were all soft and mushy and I ran them through my food processor after.  I've also done it in my crockpot before.

#30 of 47 Old 08-20-2013, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Seeing the question about frozen cubed butternut squash reminded me that I have several packages of Cascadian Farms butternut squash puree in the freezer.  What can I do with this?  I originally intended to serve it like a mashed vegetable of the side, but it's too runny for that, so they've been sitting in there for months.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page