Where do we go from here ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH works full time at a non-profit. He brings home about $1100 to $1200 a month ( $1200 if he gets non-existant overtime! lol)

We were getting foodstamps, and last week our annual recertification was due. DH submitted the paperwork, and we were turned down. There are 5 people in our household, 3 are under the age of 5. DH argued the denial, and we were given a new caseworker and told to re apply. We did so and were told that it would take anywhere from 2 weeks to 45 days for our application to be processed, but that they were backed up so there was no chance of the application being processed sooner than 2 weeks.

I don't know what to do now. We pay $675 for rent plus $25 late fee (because rent is more that an entire paycheque, so we have to use the entire first paycheque of the month and part of the second to cover rent) , $100 for electric, $35 for phone, $55 for insurance premiums, $60 for diapers, $10 for coin laundry, $15 for household stuff like soap and toilet paper, and $50 in co-pays for Lupus meds for me. This leaves $135 for whatever might arise, and this would be at the second paycheck, at the end of the month. We already handed over all the first paycheque this month to rent, so we have $0 right now. 

I have the following in my kitchen: 2lbs rice. 1 dozen eggs. 1/2 lb cheese. 1 cucumber. 1lb oatmeal. That's it. I don't know when or if we will be approved for foodstamps, if we are approved, that's still a week and a half out at least.. The nearest food pantry is 4 miles away. We don't have a car, so if I end up going there it will be over an hour walk along a highway and very busy streets each way, with three young children in a stroller. 

Just feeling very defeated and at the end of my rope. I've been in tears the past few days. We are running out of food and i just have no idea where to turn.......

Sorry for the disjointed, rambling post. Have any other Mamas found themselves in a situation like this? Any suggestions or words of advice?

slingtwin.gif Mummy to DS1, 3, hola.gif twins DD and DS2, and wife to DH asl.gif

#2 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 03:08 PM

what about calling churchs or food banks in your area to see if they can be of any help? sending you hugs & hoppe that everything turns out ok

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) we're with #4 edd 4/15 Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
#3 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Do you have any kind of support system around you?  Friends, family, even dh having co workers he is close to?  Now is the time to swallow your pride and let others help you.  Otherwise, I would park my butt in the dhs office and tell them what is going on. Why were you even denied?  Call 211 if its available in your area.  What is the rental situation like in your area?  Could you possibly find a cheaper place easily?  As much as it would suck, perhaps you need to stop your rent check so you can eat and let yourself get evicted so you can find a cheaper place...not advocating for not paying your bills, but this is a pretty extreme situation.  I second calling churches and pantries...maybe even offering to work in some capacity for food. 

#4 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would recommend calling churches today and tomorrow (you know they're in on Sunday!). I know that our church would help if someone called.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Why are you paying health insurance?  You should qualify for state insurance.  Unless you DH has major deductions on his check he is making 15-18/hr??

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/applicant_recipients/eligibility.htm#income  here is the income requirement link.  A family of 5 has an hourly rate of $16.88 (if i did the math correctly)

I would be calling every church, catholic charity, st vincent charity , lds, etc in town and see what they can do.

I know we dont have much in my house but if my neighbor came over with her 3 kids and said 'we dont have food' I would find something to give them.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 03:27 PM

FWIW you should also qualify for WIC for all 3 kids and that now includes fresh veggies and fruit along with bread and cereal for everyone.  Not just the old milk, juice and cheese.  So if you get WIC, you dont need to use FS to cover those items.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Also, does your town have a free lunch program?  We just got one in my town.  It's actually less than 1/2mile away from me at the neighborhood park.  We can walk down there and have a picnic lunch, which the kids love.  They hand out a sandwich(usually meat and cheese on wheat bread or sunnybutter and jelly), carrot sticks or celery, an apple or cut up oranges, and a milk.  They serve ages 1-18 and you don't have to prove income or anything.  My neighbor comes with us with her kids and we play on the playground and have lunch together once a week.  She even brings her nephews sometimes who she watches for free(she can't really afford to feed them) to help cut costs.  It's not embarrassing, there's no huge lines, they just pack lunch bags out of coolers and hand them to the kids and everybody has a picnic outside in the park.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#8 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

We are fairly new to this area, both sides of the family are in different countries. DH is VERY macho latino and won't talk to his co-workers about our situation. He doesn't want me to tell anyone either because 'people will think he cannot take care of his family'. That's been a big arguement between us. He thinks we can just 'hang on' until things get better greensad.gif. I ended up talking to a neighbor today and she bringing things to make a pizza by this evening. 

The reason we were denied was because of a clerical error, the old caseworker had entered our income as DH making $550 every week, instead of $550 every two weeks. When DH looked into it, they admitted it was their error, but we still have to wait because of the backlogged applications. 

We do have WIC. The twins are under a year, they get WIC cheques for formula. My three year old gets cheques for 1lb cheese, 1lb rice or tortillas or bread, 2 frozen juice, 1dzn eggs, $6 fruit and veggies, 16oz peanut butter, 36oz cereal, and several gallons of milk every month. What's left of the WIC food is what we have in the house right now. 

We are paying an extra fee on state health coverage because I have to see a rheumatologist, and that is not covered under the state health plan. 

The rental situation here is tough. It's a college town, so the rents are sky-high. The place we live is very run down, mold in the walls, door hinges and faucets broken, but it's one of the cheapest places in town to live. We looked into getting a 1 bedroom to save money ( where we come from, it's almost typical for a family to live in a 1 bedroom or studio, it's nothing new to us ) but due to occupancy laws, we must rent a place with at least 2 bedrooms. Our barrier to renting another place is A. rental companies require us to make 2.5 to 4 times the monthly rent and B. security deposits anywhere from 1 month rent to $1800 depending on the rental company. 

I've looked up food pantries, and the closest one is 4 miles away and only open thursday morning. I called St. Vincent DePaul, but they were closed for the weekend. I'm trying Catholic Community Services next and hopefully get a hold of a person instead of an answering machine. There is a church a few blocks away. I'm planning on walking over there tomorow morning and seeing if there is someone to talk to. 

slingtwin.gif Mummy to DS1, 3, hola.gif twins DD and DS2, and wife to DH asl.gif

#9 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

Also, does your town have a free lunch program?  We just got one in my town.  It's actually less than 1/2mile away from me at the neighborhood park.  We can walk down there and have a picnic lunch, which the kids love.  They hand out a sandwich(usually meat and cheese on wheat bread or sunnybutter and jelly), carrot sticks or celery, an apple or cut up oranges, and a milk.  They serve ages 1-18 and you don't have to prove income or anything.  My neighbor comes with us with her kids and we play on the playground and have lunch together once a week.  She even brings her nephews sometimes who she watches for free(she can't really afford to feed them) to help cut costs.  It's not embarrassing, there's no huge lines, they just pack lunch bags out of coolers and hand them to the kids and everybody has a picnic outside in the park.

I'm not sure if we do, we must, though. There are so many kids on free school lunch. DS1 goes to preschool two days a week and they feed the kids breakfast and lunch there.

I will look into that, thank you!

#10 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 PM

call the preschool first thing monday morning. They most likely have a social worker or case worker.  That is the person you need to talk to.  She/he can hook you up with immediate resources.  However tomorrow morning (early) call every church in town.  tell them you have 3 kids, your welfare was messed up and you have NO FOOD for at least 2 weeks.  Some one somewhere in that town has got to be able to bring you a food box.

Your DH needs to wake up and realize this is reality, this stuff happens to people every day.

If the preschool doesn't have a social worker call the administration office for the local school district- they will have a social worker, even on summer break, and they will have resources.

#11 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 06:35 PM

Great idea Zebra.  A few months back we had shut offs for electric and gas and the family advocate at my daughter's Head Start office helped us contact the electric company to get a little more time to pay.  She also filled out the heating assistance application with me this past year and made copies of all my paperwork(it's a LOT, would have cost me several dollars to do myself) and brought it to the heating assistance office herself to hand it in. YEARS ago when I was newly single and divorcing with another kid in Head Start, the family advocate there helped us get on WIC and food stamps.  This is what they do.  We live in a low-income area and the elementary school my kids attend is a Title 1 school.  They have a social work office in the building to help families do what they need to do to survive.  They helped a parent in my area with clothing so she could attend cosmetology school since it was a uniform and she was having trouble finding her size at Goodwill since she's very large.  HUGE HELP!

#12 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 07:25 PM

I hope one of those groups will be able to help you ASAP! Another idea, in the meantime... do you have anything you can sell? Toys your kids don't need, unused furniture or electronics, etc.? Or is there anyone you can trade with -- request food or money or a homecooked meal in exchange for babysitting or handmade items or housecleaning?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#13 of 25 Old 07-14-2013, 01:47 PM

moma- how r u doing today??

#14 of 25 Old 07-14-2013, 02:06 PM

I feel for you deeply. I can't imagine not having the money to feed my family. If you are up for it, I'd like to start a fundraiser for you on gofundme.com. Your DH doesn't even have to know about it. You can just tell him later after you've handed him a check. What do you think??

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#15 of 25 Old 07-14-2013, 02:07 PM

We also have a creel lunch program 1/2 mile from my house near a playground. Do you live near me!? smile.gif

#16 of 25 Old 07-14-2013, 02:25 PM

First, if you have $0 in the bank, you should qualify for emergency assistance.

Here's a link to find a summer meal site near you. They're all over our city, so hopefully there's one near you. There's a number, too.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#17 of 25 Old 07-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Free not creel

#18 of 25 Old 07-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

My city has great free lunch program. It's at several parks around town. There's games and such for kid to do for a couple of hours and then they pass out free lunches to any school age child. No questions asked.
#19 of 25 Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

moma- how r u doing today??

Doing a bit better, getting advise and words of wisdom from other Mamas helps. I don't feel so isolated :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

I hope one of those groups will be able to help you ASAP! Another idea, in the meantime... do you have anything you can sell? Toys your kids don't need, unused furniture or electronics, etc.? Or is there anyone you can trade with -- request food or money or a homecooked meal in exchange for babysitting or handmade items or housecleaning?

I'm planning on listing a bunch of clothing and toys on craigslist today. I've sold on ebay before, but sales there have been slow to none for the past couple months. I'm hoping craigslist will be better because it's local. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

First, if you have $0 in the bank, you should qualify for emergency assistance.

Here's a link to find a summer meal site near you. They're all over our city, so hopefully there's one near you. There's a number, too.

I found a summer lunch program that is easy walking distance for us. They serve breakfast two days a week too, so I'm going to be doing my best to get the kids there every day. I need to know that DS1 is getting at least one good meal at day. The twins are not quite a year old, so they don't qualify for the lunch program even though they eat solid foods ( they have formula in the morning, at nap time, and at bedtime, but for the most part they choose not to take their bottles ). DHS told DH that we might qualify for expidited foodstamps one our application is processed, but we are still several weeks away from it being processed in their backlog. We were told we are not eligible for any emergency $ from the state because DH has a job, and if you make over $495 a month, you are not able to get cash help. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

I feel for you deeply. I can't imagine not having the money to feed my family. If you are up for it, I'd like to start a fundraiser for you on gofundme.com. Your DH doesn't even have to know about it. You can just tell him later after you've handed him a check. What do you think??

That sounds amazing joy.gif

#20 of 25 Old 07-15-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxsmama View Post

The twins are not quite a year old, so they don't qualify for the lunch program even though they eat solid foods ( they have formula in the morning, at nap time, and at bedtime, but for the most part they choose not to take their bottles ). DHS told DH that we might qualify for expidited foodstamps one our application is processed, but we are still several weeks away from it being processed in their backlog. We were told we are not eligible for any emergency $ from the state because DH has a job, and if you make over $495 a month, you are not able to get cash help. 

It's a difficult system to navigate, maybe it's a state difference about the expedited stuff. I hope it's handled quickly.

The lunch program at our park doesn't seem to care about age. My older kids went there for lunch one day last week and a dad pointed at the babies and asked the young man serving lunches to serve them as well. They are over 1, but one of them doesn't look it. So they may happily serve your babies, if you ask. I know the center by us throws food away at the end of the day, so they're happy to give as much as possible to the kids who come (more kids = more funding?). I haven't been on a Friday here, but where we used to live, they also sent home weekend lunches.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#21 of 25 Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM

praying for you.  Do you have a salvation army nearby?  I know that in larger communities they often have food kitchens and will help with temporary assistance.  Was 211 any help to you?  That's the united way.

#22 of 25 Old 07-17-2013, 06:07 PM

Mama, have you tried posting in the Finding Your Tribe area here on MDC? Local mamas might be able to tell you specifically where to ask for help, since they know the area. And I'm sure that I'm not the only MDC member who would show up with a couple bags of groceries if I knew you were struggling to feed your family and you lived nearby...

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#23 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 09:26 PM

That's a really good idea, if you were anywhere around me I would drop off some food! I don't know what kind of area you live in but I have had some luck with free food off Freecycle. People with gardens/fruit trees often have more then they can deal with & are usually glad to share with a family in need. I'm sorry you are going through this, you are in my thoughts.

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#24 of 25 Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxsmama View Post

DHS told DH that we might qualify for expidited foodstamps one our application is processed, but we are still several weeks away from it being processed in their backlog. We were told we are not eligible for any emergency $ from the state because DH has a job, and if you make over $495 a month, you are not able to get cash help. 

Please look into that because in my experience, DHS has 30days to accept or deny the application, less if you are in desperate need.  We qualified for expedited food stamps once and they were on our card the very same day I handed in my application and met with the worker.  Just call the office and speak to the receptionist and ask how long they have to process the application.  If you get no definitive answer there, ask for a supervisor.  Don't let them give you the run around.  They will if they can.  

#25 of 25 Old 07-22-2013, 03:31 PM

update?  I've been worried about your family.

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page