Disability Insurance for the Stay at Home Mom & Adult Caregiver - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-20-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Ladies,

I'm currently a SAHM to our 3.5 year old homeschooled child. Starting next month I am also going to be a permanent caregiver to my MIL who has fairly advanced Parkinsons Disease. She'll be coming to live with us. Our finances are tight but manageable.

I just had surgery for my horrendous sinuses and am totally laid up. My husband had to take time off work since I couldn't care for our daughter. I can't help but wonder what would happen if I got injured or really sick and he'd have to care for our child and his mother.

What are the rest of you SAHM's doing in terms of disability insurance? I've heard of mom's getting a paycheck and I would be happy to set that up, so long as it was legal. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can't stop thinking about the "what if's"

Thanks,

Lovepickles

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
#2 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'm guessing there isn't much help out there. I keep doing searches for it and the only advice I keep getting is to find a way to generate income from home. I'm really frustrated that there isn't any monetary value attributed to women who homeschool and care for the elderly. It is like I've got to go do it for someone ELSE in order to be of any worth. So frustrating.

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
#3 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 PM

I have never been able to find disability insurance for a SAHM.  I have life insurance, but yeah, we'd be pretty much out of luck if I became disabled. Disability insurance is usually based (that I know of) on a percentage of your income, so I don't know how they would calculate that/ what they would be willing to cover anyway.

#4 of 7 Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 PM

I guess I never looked for it on myself- but I have tried to buy it for my self employed husband.  The rates are ridiculous and the payout is terrible.  We decided it was money better spent to just save a rainy day fund.  There are very few companies that will even write such a policy but to put it into dollars- the quotes I got were for something like 40% of our taxable income and the premium was about $200/mo.  Our income isn't very high and 40% was pretty laughable.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#5 of 7 Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I don't have any suggestions about disability insurance, although it seems like a reasonable idea. But it might be possible for you to get paid for your MIL's care. I don't know where you are, but a starting place might be your local Area Agency on Aging. Some of the programs may be based on your income or hers. Others are based on level of need. Worth checking into if you haven't already.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#6 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was able to get it for myself through my husband's union. 

Heidi
#7 of 7 Old 07-31-2013, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Some life insurance plans will pay out upon permanent disability, so it might be worth your while to look into something like that for yourself.

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page