Using what you have - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I saw this concept with the Happiness Project, and it's one I'm trying to work with.  I'm fascinated by how it reaches into so many areas--one of them being finances.  I'm hardly a shopaholic, but still stuff manages to build up.  I'm trying to use what's there--multipurposing cleaning products (tip: conditioner on a wooden cutting board).  I love the mindset and, yes, it's saving me money.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#2 of 21 Old 08-06-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just did this the other day to some extent.  We needed some new cloth napkins and as much as I would've loved to go to the fabric store and pick out a beautiful new fabric, I just shopped in my own fabric stash, using up pieces that were too small for a big project but great for napkins.  I did go to the fabric store to buy some plain flannel backing because we've learned that we like them best that way, but at least I saved 50% of what I would've spent. 

I would love a headboard for our bed.  Our neighbors recently put up a new fence and I saved the old fencing hoping to make a rustic headboard out of it. 

I have some empty spots in our backyard flower bed.  I'm planning to thin some of the front yard plants and move them to the back to fill in this fall.

I would love to hear some other examples of where you and others have done this!  Inspiring!  Helps me to think outside the box.

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#3 of 21 Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 PM

I don't have any spectacular examples, but when my laptop screen snapped off (don't ask - my toddler broke it when he decided to take a dive off the couch).. I just added an "open and close" latch made out of... (wait for it)... duct tape. Tight? You bet. I'd rather use that money for something else.

Oh, and one of the plastic handles of my cheapo stainless steel pot broke off, so dh is making metal handles (from scrap metal) and will weld them on. I'm not throwing the pot out - what a freakin' waste! It only cost $20, but what about the environmental price of that metal being mined, formed and then the product shipped.. only for it to go in the bin.

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#4 of 21 Old 08-07-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Another part of is still using what I have. I'm trying not to "save" things for special occasions only to find them past the expiration date.

Catholic Mama likes this.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#5 of 21 Old 08-12-2013, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Are we talking about consumable stuff here? :) I'm very bad about keeping personal and household cleaning stuff under control.  Using them up can take years. :o Last I checked I have about 15 bars of soap just for myself.  About 6 years worth of laundry detergent.  Thank goodness I don't use much beauty products so at least there isn't a pile of those.  I have about 12 bottles of shampoo, though (and 4 of those are 1 Litre size).  I need to challenge myself to not buy any more of those for at least a year.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#6 of 21 Old 08-12-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroads View Post

Another part of is still using what I have. I'm trying not to "save" things for special occasions only to find them past the expiration date.

That's a big one here, too.  I have to remember to scour the contents of my refrigerator to be sure that I don't overlook stuff until it's not consumable anymore.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#7 of 21 Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 AM

I am about to go through the basement and purge anything we have but have not used for a year in a big yard sale. The one exception is super cute kid clothes, because we want to keep the good ones for the next one (hopefully, fingers crossed!).

I have been reusing containers from foods we buy (when we buy processed food, that is), turning the inevitable plastic grocery bags (even though we have reusable ones, it happens!) into a shoe mat for winter (preventing the tracking in of mud and snow) and the like...

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#8 of 21 Old 08-12-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

Are we talking about consumable stuff here? :) I'm very bad about keeping personal and household cleaning stuff under control.  Using them up can take years. :o Last I checked I have about 15 bars of soap just for myself.  About 6 years worth of laundry detergent.  Thank goodness I don't use much beauty products so at least there isn't a pile of those.  I have about 12 bottles of shampoo, though (and 4 of those are 1 Litre size).  I need to challenge myself to not buy any more of those for at least a year.

I think we are. At least, consumables is what came to mind for me.

I'm also cutting back on buying all the stuff in bulk I don't need. I'm part of Amazon Vine, and I get exited about getting free toiletries.  Then I realize I can't use them before they expire.

Note on laundry detergent:  apparently it's only good for two years at most, even unopened.

#9 of 21 Old 08-12-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroads View Post

I think we are. At least, consumables is what came to mind for me.

I'm also cutting back on buying all the stuff in bulk I don't need. I'm part of Amazon Vine, and I get exited about getting free toiletries.  Then I realize I can't use them before they expire.

Note on laundry detergent:  apparently it's only good for two years at most, even unopened.

Oh I hope not.  What I have is those natural laundry soda, there isn't supposed to be any filler in it.  I bought a bucket good for 1000 loads.  Plus a few tins each enough for 100 loads.  That's enough for 6 years for us.   I only buy liquid detergent for delicate washes as needed.  Anyway, I'll try hard not buy any more. :D

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#10 of 21 Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I was part of the 'compact' a few years ago.  Same concept and I sort fell off the wagon.  We moved and kept moving, things got sold, lost and re-accumulated.

My addiction is yarn.  I love yarn and all things crafty but I love yarn  LOL....  I'm sorta doing a stash buster this weekend and using up some yarn making scarves.  Yes that 'special yarn'that I was saving for a 'special' time... who knows for what or when.   DS went thru and culled his books, we do need more shelves.  Same for legos and games.

I am a self proclaimed hoarder of office supplies and non-food items (soap, detergent etc)

I would love to not buy anything in those categories until the new year.  Or if i happen to run out, simply buy ONE box/bottle.

I hope to finish a scarf tomorrow which will get rid of a few more skeins of yarn.  lol

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#11 of 21 Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
zebra, on that note I'm making a shrug for my daughter's bunny stuffie to use up yarn since all I have are little half skeins or less of each. gotta use up what I have.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#12 of 21 Old 08-18-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillitu View Post

I am about to go through the basement and purge anything we have but have not used for a year in a big yard sale. The one exception is super cute kid clothes, because we want to keep the good ones for the next one (hopefully, fingers crossed!).

I have been reusing containers from foods we buy (when we buy processed food, that is), turning the inevitable plastic grocery bags (even though we have reusable ones, it happens!) into a shoe mat for winter (preventing the tracking in of mud and snow) and the like...

I use plastic grocery bags for trash bags, especially in the bathroom trash can that gets disposable diapers, but I'm curious: how do you turn plastic grocery bags into a shoe mat? It doesn't snow here in Florida but it would still be nice to have another mat.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#13 of 21 Old 08-18-2013, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can braid them rag rug style!
#14 of 21 Old 08-18-2013, 08:04 PM

I take all plastic bags, wrappers, etc back to the store for recycling.  Those things seem to multiply around here!  Our stores have bins in the front for 'plastic bag/wrapper' recycling.  So yes toiler paper plastic, paper towel wrappers etc all can go in that bin.

Here is a link to a crafty patten for a door \mat

http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/12/26/plastic-bag-doormat-rug/

continuing to use up yarn here... on to the second scarf with my 'very good precious' yarn lol...  people are getting scarves for xmas

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#15 of 21 Old 08-19-2013, 10:05 AM

zebra15, I've been recycling plastic grocery bags for years. Thank you for teaching me that I can recycle other plastic bags and wrappers with those, too.

I don't know how to crochet, but thanks anyway for the link.

#16 of 21 Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 PM

Used up 10 skeins of yarn making 2 ruffle scarves this weekend (very small skeins  90 yds each).  Was saving this yarn for something special.   ugh.. has it for ummm several years... now i have 2 xmas presents done.     started DS pillow pal and using horrid 'red heart' yarn instead of buying yummy yarn.  

Have shampoo turned upside down in shower, hoping to get 2 more days out of it.

#17 of 21 Old 08-20-2013, 05:05 AM

I usually let all types of soaps and detergents (shampoo, you name it, stuff that foams) run on fumes for the last half dozen uses. Once there's too little to squeeze out, I fill it halfway with hot water and shake and then use the soapy water for qutie a few more uses.   I sometimes worry that my hands aren't getting all that clean for the last week before I replace the liquid hand soap at the bathroom sink, but so far no health tragedies.  I even do this for washing clothes, but not for dishwashing because they are tablets.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#18 of 21 Old 08-27-2013, 02:54 PM

This isn't notable, but...instead of throwing away my (fluoride free!) toothpaste when it's hard to squirt out, I roll it up and squeeze it for about a week longer. I'm amazed at how much longer it lasts!

#19 of 21 Old 08-27-2013, 03:45 PM

Went to the library to preview some cookbooks before ordering them.

Used up some uglies in my crockpot

still using yarn I HATE... ugh

#20 of 21 Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I also have several baskets of lovely yarn I have no plans for . Yet. And I am trying to force myself to finish knitting a scarf for YoungSon in icky acrylic yarn (team colors that don't exist in the fancy fibers I prefer). So I have banned myself from yarn, fabric, and craft stores until I finish using what I have. I mainly only knit socks, well, aside from a huge sweater/jacket thing I am knitting for myself. I really have enough projects started to keep me busy for the next year or more. No excuse to shop!

I am fixing up a spare bedroom for a foster child, and was surprised to find I already had nearly enough extra furniture, linens, and decorations (only need a laundry hamper, bedside lamp, wastebasket, and alarm clock). I was ready to go out and buy a dresser, sheets, blankets, and much other stuff, but a little scrounging turned up surprising treasures!

I pulled all the dry beans, rice, seeds for sprouting, and pasta out of the overcrowded cupboard, and moved them to some shelves over the kitchen sink, in Mason jars. Not only do they look kind of pretty, I actually remember to use them. This is a win/win.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#21 of 21 Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

I'm finding another perk for this practice is buying less stuff.  I think "forever it took me to use that up last time, so... not this time".  

Catholic Mama likes this.

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page