Using up those last little bits - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

This morning I was putting on my deodorant (which I use when spending long days in public) and wanting to figure out how other frugal people use up that last little bit that's stuck in the bottom.  The plastic is scraping the sides of my skin, but because I use deodorant infrequently, that's enough to last me for another 4 months!

So, I thought I'd come to y'all for tips.  Then I thought that making the thread about using up the last bits OF ANYTHING would make for a better all-around thread-- toothpaste, oil for your car, oil for cooking, whatever.

Now that the natural toothpaste tubes are made with plastic, I can cut open the ends, scrape the opening end with my toothbrush and sqeeze out the body of the tube more effectively.  Lasts me at least 3 extra days.

What are your tips?

And please tell me the best way to get that last bit out of the deodorant!!!!

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 3 Old 08-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My deo comes in a tin...maybe you could scrape out the extra and put it a small candy tin or something? Gotta apply with your finger but I just rinse my hands after.
#3 of 3 Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got this! I wait until I have several dead deodorant sticks, then scrape as much as I can out of each container with a knife and into a bowl. Stick it in the microwave until it melts, then pour it back into one of the empty containers to cool. (Try not to inhale while you do this. Silicon up the nose, whoof!) I've been doing this for years after reading a tip in a newsletter. 

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page