Kids winter coat tips - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-25-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Please share your frugal tips on buying kids winter coats and other winter gears. :D I know it's only August, but hopefully it's a good time to buy winter clothes for kids.  Post any tips, links, sales here.  If you have any particular tips on how to keep warm and dry in your local weather, please tell us about it, too. :)

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#2 of 15 Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We live in the PNW, so layers are key here.  Typical winter wear is turtle neck, t-shirt, fleece jacket, and a hat.  When it requires more I  just get the kids coats from thrift and consignment, even hand me down.  I also search the clearance racks at the end of season for hats, and gloves, and I buy 3 or 4 of each for each kid, because those always go missing.

#3 of 15 Old 08-25-2013, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I live in the desert. The most we need is a sweater and long pants.  I have the same fleece thing for about 10 years now.

Kohls is always running sales and that seems to be a great place to stock up, (seems to be less costly than even good will).

Most mommy groups are willing to swap kids clothes, esp for the younger kids.  Holiday gifts are a great time to ask for that new winter coat, boots, gift cards to buy those things etc.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 15 Old 08-25-2013, 05:41 PM

Since my son was about 5 or 6, I've always bought his winter coat one size bigger.  It gets him through two winters, so instead of going through a coat every winter, we get one every other winter.  :)

Wendy
Mumsy to Gavin (10-year-old artsy boy) and Rowan (baby disco queen!)

#5 of 15 Old 08-25-2013, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

When my kids were little, I was able to find everything second hand.  Now that 2 of my kids are older I have a terrible time finding coats in larger sizes.  I have been scouring the resale shops this summer and have come up empty handed for my 12 and 10 year old kids 

So, second hand and hand me downs for the little boys and a new coat for the older kids.  I live in the PNW as well, so we will get them a waterproof shell and a fleece.  That, with a long sleeved shirt, will be their winter wardrobe. 

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#6 of 15 Old 08-25-2013, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxieFox View Post

Since my son was about 5 or 6, I've always bought his winter coat one size bigger.  It gets him through two winters, so instead of going through a coat every winter, we get one every other winter.  :)

This.....My L got a new coat and snowpants last year...she will be wearing them again this year...I always try to work it so we get two years out of them...

JinxieFox likes this.
#7 of 15 Old 08-25-2013, 09:45 PM

In about February Old Navy has their winter coats for under $10. Traditionally Old Navy can have iffy quality but we live in CO and they have lasted through 2 kids
JinxieFox likes this.
#8 of 15 Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I guess we qualify as living in the Pacific Northwest as well. :) Although our city is a bit colder and a lot rainier than place like Seattle.  Waterproof quality is very important, as well as wind blocking quality.   Somehow it's always windy here.   I've had good experience with coats from Land's End, most of them are water repellent.  I wait until they're on sale, then use a coupon code and can get a Squall parka for $25.  Down filled coats are a bit too warm here, squall type of coats are just perfect.  Everybody in my family hate layers (sensory issue) so we don't do it.

I did shop end of the season sale in local stores before.  Kids winter coats were usually reduced to $15 or so, but the quality is usually not great and they hardly lasted one winter.  The filling got all lumpy after a couple washing and the fabric got small holes around edges.  I have two boys so I'm willing to buy good clothes for the older one.  The local thrift stores here hardly have any outerwear.  I guess either they go really quickly, or maybe all the other people layer.  I've never found a decent one.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#9 of 15 Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 PM

It may be different depending on where you live, but I find around here (Toronto area) seasonal stuff often goes on sale or even clearance before you need it. For example winter doesn't really start here till December usually (with snow and such) or even January, and by then boots and winter coats are often getting reduced in price.

#10 of 15 Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

I've had good experience with coats from Land's End, most of them are water repellent.  I wait until they're on sale, then use a coupon code and can get a Squall parka for $25.  

This, or LL Bean.  Great quality and really reasonably priced when you can find those coupons.  I got both my kids down jackets for $38 each last year! :)

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#11 of 15 Old 08-29-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxieFox View Post

Since my son was about 5 or 6, I've always bought his winter coat one size bigger.  It gets him through two winters, so instead of going through a coat every winter, we get one every other winter.  smile.gif
Yup, I do this too. I tend to buy from Old Navy, I've not had a problem with coat quality there myself and I can usually get one on sale. I've not (yet) found a coat at Goodwill or other thrift stores, but I have found gloves there in the past which was an awesome find.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#12 of 15 Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

We are in New England.  We have long cold snowy winters and very wet cold springs.  We stick with good brand names for winter jackets and pants and boots and save all year for them.  I buy ahead one size so they wear them for two years and we do try to trade with friends and family.  Typically on a winter day sledding my kids will wear tighter fitting jammies under sweatpants and a long sleeve shirt along with a sweater sometimes(wool).  On top we do at least 2 pairs of socks, snow pants, a down jacket, hat, mittens, and boots.  I taught myself to knit so we always have hats and mittens and wool socks for fairly cheap.  That allows us to spend more on the outerwear that we need.  We only do bib overall snowpants because you can buy big and not worry about it AND there aren't many people I know that like a load of snow down their backside when they sit in a snow bank.  winky.gif  We usually buy clearance items or thrift shop ones for our winter jackets.  We stick with LLBean or Lands End usually if possible.  Lots of yard sales have great LLBean jackets.  Performance matters when you are 5 and it's only 10degrees or lower out.  We see temps below zero oftentimes and that's just DARN COLD.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#13 of 15 Old 08-29-2013, 01:04 PM

I just bought my 8 yo son a coat at Goodwill, but I bet the only reasons it was there were 1) it's August and 90 degrees here, and 2) it was in the shirt section, not the coat section.

I often troll Zulily for a coat sale and find something good there; that's where my daughter's coat came from, another 90 degree weather winter coat purchase!

#14 of 15 Old 09-01-2013, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Just passing this along -- LandEnd is 30% off EVERYTHING this weekend thru Labor Day.  Their squall coats have been amazing for my kids.  They are expensive, but awesome.  We have lived in New England and in Sweden and the Squalls kept my kids warm during a lot of cold winters.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#15 of 15 Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 AM

I just found a fantastic Patagonia snow suit for my 3 year old daughter at a baby consignment store. It was hard to stomach paying $50 for a used snowsuit, but it looks new and was probably closer to $200 originally. Getting high quality winter coats and gear is really important to me, we just moved back to Montana and the winters are long and snowy and we will be outside a lot. Consignment and resale stores have good deals on like-new, good quality kids clothes. I also check out ebay to look for good quality brands - Columbia, Patagonia, etc. 

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page