September Spend-less challenge: Storing the bounty we harvest - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 155 Old 08-31-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

This is a support thread to help you not spend your money.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be September 1st. NOW is a good time to start.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here and record your spending. We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

c. How you plan to get there

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 155 Old 08-31-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

... or "Insert Favorite Clever Title Here!"

#3 of 155 Old 08-31-2013, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are: I am Emi, mom to 3 kids, wife to Griff.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and: I am hoping to get our bills down as low as I can to hopefully be able to pay off debt and make it.

c. How you plan to get there: I currently work 2 jobs, my husband works one full time job. I plan to cut eating out, we cut off cable, we cut off the iPhones and went to prepaid. We are hoping that my husband will stop smoking and we cut back on soda too. That of course will take time.

I have been on here a few months before but never get past a few days. When I spend a lot I always give up once I get off track. I am determined to record the ugly,etc.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#4 of 155 Old 08-31-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

a. Who you are

I am a homeschooling mama of two girls, nearly 7 and 9.  WE live in rural western Washington.  I work every week or two as a housekeeper (self-employed.)  DH is a gardener/landscaper for his own business.  He is the sole employee.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) 

We have been living of the profits from the sale of our Seattle house, plus an inheritance for the last 7 years.  I've counted much of that as start-up costs, as dh had to build his business from scratch after the move.  But the extra money is gone, we have enough in our savings, but we need to actually make more than we spend.  We have a good start this season, but did not save what we expected for the off-season when expenses exceed income no matter what we do.  We need to start thinking about replacing our car in the next 2 years.  Long term, (or, hopefully not so long) we'd like to finish this house, including adding stairs and a woodstove.  We want to sell our house in town within 5 years, but we can wait if our (fabulous) tenants need to stay longer.

Reduce costly activities.  No unnecessary spending.  Not any.  Birthday Season is arriving along with High Utility Season and Christmas and No Income Season.  I have no room for treats.  In  the next week or so, I need to pick up some applications for some holiday work.  

Rental house is still making a very modest income for us, but we still need to build up the savings for large expenses before we can routinely pull off a profit.  

Our garden is still supplying us with most of the veggies we need, minus potatoes, onions and celery.  Chickens are actually making more eggs than we can eat, and we are actually selling some here and there, though it would be better if I freeze some for baking in the winter.  So, groceries could theoretically be their lowest in September.

I will be privately tracking our grocery expenses this month.  The dude-icons make me happy and motivated, so I will be using lots of those.

#5 of 155 Old 08-31-2013, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

a. Who you are

I'm a high school English teacher, and my husband was a teacher up until a few weeks ago.  He's decided to look for a different career, and chose not to start this school year.  He's looking for work, and can start doing some work for my uncle in a few weeks, but ultimately, it may be a long time before he's earning anything like what he was.  We have three daughters: 5yo, 2.5yo and 3mo.  DD1 begins kindergarten this year, DD3 is being taken care of by my mom and dad, and for the time being, DD2 is continuing at her daycare/pre-school so that DH can accept a job if he finds one. (Don't think my folks could handle BOTH DD2 and DD3.)

We need to avoid racking up major credit card debt while waiting for our income situation to stabilize.

We're eliminating all eating out/treats.  We're off to a good start here, as we were working with a pretty strict treat budget this summer, and we did much better than in summers past.  We're cutting cable, the paper and netflix (Don't ask me how much money we've wasted on netflix in the past few years.  We do not have time to watch movies.)  We'll be sorting out a tighter grocery budget as well.  Ultimately, however, we need some more income!

#6 of 155 Old 08-31-2013, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi, I'm Bruna, Mother to baby boy L. , 15 months, and partner to M. I care for my son full time, and work very part time in a city library. My partner is working on the rebuilding and refitting of a 1936 vintage wooden fishboat that we bought with the best part of my savings. Our goal is to have a work boat that we can use for making a living providing marine based services on the West Coast of British Columbia. 

My financial goal is to keep healthy and happy on a tiny budget. We are going away for a month to visit family. It is hard to say how my frugality will fair, but I imagine we will save on groceries.

For September, I probably won't keep as close track of my spending, but will keep a general record to make sure I don't get into any debt.

I also need to work on some non frugality based goals this month for my personal and business interests, as I am realizing I am perhaps too good at slowing down to the thrifty-ist speed, thus maintaining when I would probably be better busting out here or there.

September's frugal challenge is to accept the hospitality of others, and to find a way to give back that is both helpful for my hosts, and rewarding for me. Keeping active and involved while in other people's territory is sometimes a challenge for me. I will probably not be checking in everyday this month,

Upon return on October, we shall reassess the whole shoestring budget lifestyle, and see if we might best rake in some dough to get the project moving faster!

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#7 of 155 Old 09-01-2013, 06:11 AM

a. Who you are:  Sarah, mom to dd(7). We homeschool and I work at a local after school child care program where I can take my daughter. We're also trying to have a hobby farm.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and:  I'm working on trying to stay current and stay within my budget. VERY bad about not following the budget!

c. How you plan to get there:  I already track everything, but need to do a (much) better job actually staying within the budget. I need to get better at actually remembering to use envelopes. I have started rack drying as much as possible, but need to stay on top of the laundry to stay away from the dryer. Also going to NOT get DVDs at our local library. They only lend them out for 4 days at a time and I frequently wind up with late fees. We'll be getting DVDs from where we use to live when we go to visit Daddy/my ex.

I have a second job that is very sporadic and will be using the funds from that job to pay for things like firewood, some new windows (the old ones all leak and I've replaced 6 already), and pay down medical debt.

I've also just gotten back into selling freeze-dried and dehydrated foods via Thrive Life (was called Shelf Reliance). I figure it will at least help me with my own food!

key:

no spend - thumb.gif     

budgeted spend - winky.gif       

over budget or not budgeted - greensad.gif   

hung clothes on rack -  hang.gif

9/1: 

#8 of 155 Old 09-01-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

This is a support thread to help you not spend your money.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be September 1st. NOW is a good time to start.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here and record your spending. We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a. Who you are

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

I'm Tammy -- a military wife, mom to 3 children and Nana to 4 grand-babies.  I homeschool our 15 year old son and will be watching one of our grand-daughters while her mom works Wed-Sunday.  

Our goals are to pay off all our credit card debt and only have our vehicle loans and monthly bills to pay.  To put money into savings.

We will be using our bonus to pay off as much as we can.  We will only use our CC in emergencies.  We will pay cash for everything else.  

#9 of 155 Old 09-01-2013, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

a. Who you are   I'm Justmama, single mom to 3 school-age children.  

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and   I'm saving for a college training course in October which is very expensive for someone with a very low income.  Not only will this class be expensive but we'll be losing our food stamps next month because our income is higher which will be a tough transition for us.

c. How you plan to get there   I have 2 part-time babysitting jobs and a part-time retail job now that I just started.  I'm hoping to schedule my jobs to avoid daycare(which will negate the benefits of working).  I'm also trying to keep my summer garden going into the fall and get an area set up in my room for a fall garden since we have a grow light and a small portable greenhouse for outside.  I will also be keeping a close eye on our grocery spending since we need to stock up as much as possible this month for low grocery bills in the future.  I've gotten lazy now that my dryer is fixed and been using it too much and I want to get back to line drying as much as humanly possible.  Also, I tend to nickle and dime myself to death so I'm wanting to keep as little as possible in my checking acct and start a savings acct with all the rest of the money so I don't have easy access to the cash to spend it.  The only thing we NEED this month is for me to invest in another few quality pieces of clothing for work and possible one more pair of shoes but they can likely wait until next month.  I really NEED clothing but I'm hoping to find the pieces at the thrift store if possible.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#10 of 155 Old 09-01-2013, 12:16 PM

I'm Ellen, single mama to DD (9) and DS (7).  I teach 2nd grade and split time with my ex with the kiddos.  I am pretty frugal but like to spend my money going to see live music and I'm totally okay with that ;)  I have $32K in student loan debt and my goal is to pay that off as soon as possible.  I want to pay double or triple the minimum payment to get that thing paid off ASAP.  Not sure of other financial goals beyond that...just kind of rolling with what happens ;)  I keep myself on a cash budget for food, gas, and miscellaneous spending, which has been working out pretty well for a long time.  I'm now getting paid once a month instead of every other week and I'm pretty excited about it (and got a raise, too!)  Makes budgeting much easier, IMO.  My plan is to put any extra money leftover after bills are paid (and cash taken out for expenses) toward my student loan.  It's birthday season over here, too, and I'm hoping that the $150 I've been putting in my sinking fund monthly (and conveniently spending on things each month--lol) will cover the cost of a birthday party for my DS and presents for my DD...DS' presents are already bought.  DD also needs some new shoes, but there shouldn't be a ton of other big expenses during September for me.  

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#11 of 155 Old 09-01-2013, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

a. Who you are

I'm Michelle, mama to 3, partner to DH. I work part time but have recently started losing tips due to low customer base and getting less hours so I'm not sure how long this working is going to last.

We really need to get a home of our home either buying one or developing our property and building so desperately need to save. I'm also undecided yet if public school was a good idea for us and may need to transition the kids back to homeschool after the semester or year which would mean no more working for me so that's something to consider as well. My current goal this month though is to just put anything I can in a starter EF again as I currently have NO savings.

Not spend so much! I'm bad about little purchases that rack up since we're out of the house so much with school, soccer and work. My goal is to stay away from the little purchases as much as possible. Also... I smoke. I know, I know, I konw :( I really want to quit so I'm going to work on this this month as well. That would be a big cut back in little spending! Cut down on redbox and return the next day! Cut back phone plan to $35 from $55 plan. Be more diligent about electric bill. Very little eating out. Get my lazy butt out of bed early enough for the school bus and let the kids ride to/from school on it (have been ppu). No car days if not a designated soccer or work day.

No Spend :thumb

Budgeted Spend :wink

Unnecessecary Spend:o

9/1 :o $15.85 cigarettes, 2 sodas & birthday gift

I'm off to a great start :(. Coming here and reporting this might be embarassing enough to stop me tomorrow lol.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#12 of 155 Old 09-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

... I'm now getting paid once a month instead of every other week and I'm pretty excited about it (and got a raise, too!)  Makes budgeting much easier, IMO.  ...

Definitely! I'm trying to hold as much as possible this month to get us back a month ahead so I can have all our month's money ready on the first of each month again. Makes budgeting a LOT easier when you know how much you really have for the whole month.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#13 of 155 Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm Emily, mom to Ruby, wife to Layne.  

We're hoping to pay off Layne's student loans, about $6,000.  We are between jobs as Layne will be finishing an army training in two weeks and is looking for a job.  

We have the money saved from his training and will be living in my very wealthy grandmother's basement apartment rent-free, so this will be helpful.  Our focus is to get some further income so we're not just depleting money.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#14 of 155 Old 09-01-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hoping for fewer than the 13 Devil Dude-icons I earned for August!

:D:D:D No-spend.

A good start to the month, and especially since we drove to my sister's and back without stopping for anything.

#15 of 155 Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 PM

1. Day at the fair with free entrance. Danced to live big band music with L., his favorite. Spent $14 on fair food. Harvested tomatos and will be transplanting the kale, gai lan and broccoli to their new spaces in our urban garden accross the street.

#16 of 155 Old 09-01-2013, 05:25 PM

Here goes:

peace.gifNo spend!

:innocent Budgeted spending

nono.gif Un-budgeted spending

September 1: :innocent Grocery shopping went rather well today.  We stayed well under the budget that we had set for the week, and perhaps we can adjust that budget down in the future.

#17 of 155 Old 09-02-2013, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

September 1:  $200 for religious tithing, $2.15 on Cokes for my mother and I after she requested them.  That latter habit is one to be kicked.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#18 of 155 Old 09-02-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Hoping for fewer than the 13 Devil Dude-icons I earned for August!

:D:D:D No-spend.

:D:D Just necessities.  Groceries.

#19 of 155 Old 09-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

1. $0 spend

2. $115.51 groceries.  $6.93 of it was cat litter and an unnecessary pack of cat toys.  But the groceries were in budget and we saved almost $30.  

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#20 of 155 Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 AM

Yeah, I'm gonna not count yesterday ;)

#21 of 155 Old 09-02-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

Yeah, I'm gonna not count yesterday ;)

It's a holiday, and I completely lose track of the calendar.  Doesn't September start tomorrow?  :2whistle

Backroads likes this.

#22 of 155 Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

It's a holiday, and I completely lose track of the calendar.  Doesn't September start tomorrow?  :2whistle

You are SO right! ;)

#23 of 155 Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 PM

peace.gifNo spend!

September 1: :innocent Grocery shopping 

September 2: :innocent Cat food

#24 of 155 Old 09-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

a. Who you are

I am Ruth, mama to my four little people.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)

My family just made a huge move to a new town, a new job, a new life.  We are renting now, but would like to buy a house next year.  We are saving a down payment and plan to have 20% nest summer. 

Budget, budget, budget.  This is a tight month, because I bought school supplies, new shoes, rain coats, and a few clothes for the kids.   I have 3 kids in school this year and that adds up to a lot of gear. 

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#25 of 155 Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Starting the month with a bit of school shopping.  My daughter needed a new helmet and bike lock so she can ride to school.  I ordered rain jackets and fleeces for all 4 kids, so we should be pretty good for a while.  

My plan for the month includes getting us settled into the school routine, keeping to the grocery budget, and eating our meals at home.  My husband traveled a lot this summer and I weakened and ordered pizza too many times and my pants know it.  I need to eat better and get a few pounds off.  I  have a huge bin of clothes from my pre-pregnancy days that I could really use right now.   

And I am totally stealing Gooseberry's icons. :Sheepish

peace.gifNo spend!

September 1 -- :innocent  school supplies

September 2 -- :innocent  bike gear for my eldest, :innocent checks, nono.gif workout pants for my big bottom

September 3

September 4

September 5

September 6

September 7

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#26 of 155 Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 PM

Key:

:thumb No spend

:dizzyBudgeted spending

Cuss.gifUn-budgeted spending

:eat Ate at home

September 1st: Don't remember

September 2nd:12.xx on grocery :dizzy:eat

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#27 of 155 Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

And I am totally stealing Gooseberry's icons. :Sheepish

Well, I'm glad you like them.  I like to bug my husband by giving the peace sign in most photos.  It seemed like the emoticon made just for me.

#28 of 155 Old 09-02-2013, 08:35 PM

1. $14 Fair food.
2. $20 Groceries.

#29 of 155 Old 09-03-2013, 03:34 AM

In!

#30 of 155 Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 AM

My name is Prudence (kind of ironic, eh?) and I have a spending problem.  :2whistle

My husband is a teacher and we have 12 days until he gets his first paycheck since LAST May.  So whew...we made it through another summer...but things are TIGHT around here.

My goal:  To track my spending and carefully think about every purchase before I make it.

1.  I do not need any new clothes

2.  My children do not need any new clothes

3.  We do not need to buy wild Alaskan salmon and goat cheese and freshly squeezed juice every time I go to the grocery store.  There are healthy options that will not result in my grocery bill being higher than my mortgage payment (a lot higher....I might add...and I live in an expensive part of the country so my mortgage is high)

Just trying hard to reign in the spending.

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page