Ever mix finances and friendship? Did you live to regret it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-19-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I started something with a friend about a month ago, and already our friendship feels strained. Issues like her expecting I would be happy with a way lower percentage of profits than we had at first mentioned...Who pays for what expenses....I felt the need to speak of for my needs in the situation, and I sense it was not wholly welcome...

I am regretting the whole thing. I miss just having a regular, non-money-tied my friend, and the pitiful paltry profits won't make the perhaps inevitable mounting tension worth it one bit! Also, we share other friends in common, and my inner 7th grader thinks that if I lose this friend because she can't take my sticking up for my needs money-wise, maybe I'll lose some other friends, too. 

Years ago I loaned money (well, fake money, I loaned my credit card number) to a best friend, and it seemed to cause pain and distance in the long run....I should have known better this time...

Has anyone else had to learn this lesson? Or have I just had bad luck or perhaps bad attitude, and there are glowing cases of mixing girlfriends and income...?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-19-2013, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If your friend is taking advantage of you in some way and won't re-visit the money split with you.. then get out of it. As soon as possible.. for all your sakes.
#3 of 3 Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree. You can keep it simple and neutral too. Hey, I feel like this isn't working out and I want to discontinue my involvement. If you have money invested you have to figure out how much to ask for back...
I don't mix money and friends unless I'm giving a no strings attached gift. If I were to do it in the future I would have a contract drawn up on the specifics.

Tags
Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page