Pantry Challenge - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 192 Old 02-18-2014, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

I definitely need to meal plan again also. Had to pick up a few basics we were out of last night. Today will be eggs for breakfast for me and the babies, thinking hamburgers and fries for lunch since I need to use the last of these potatoes, then for dinner we will have hamburger steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, and cream corn.

I finally found a new food ministry program in my area since the Angel Foods shut down forever ago. That use to be my best friend for meal planning and small grocery budget but I haven't had that resource for years now. The new one is One Harvest and finally has a pick up spot near me. I'm going over the menu for next month and seriously considering going back to doing this for our food. If it all looks good when I get done checking it out then we'll be on a massive pantry challenge to clean out what's here and start fresh next month with the food program and some basics. 

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#182 of 192 Old 02-18-2014, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Crazyms - sounds like a great resource! I never used Angel Food as we're allergic to half the stuff, but it was a great deal.

Still working on meal planning here. DD is sick, so trying to fix things she likes & will eat well.

Today's meal plan:

Breakfast:

Bagels with cream cheese {free bread}

Lunch:

Hot Dog on a bun {got the buns free}

Dinner:

Probably fish / chicken, mac & cheese and veggies. Making bread pudding with the oldest of the free bread for dessert.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#183 of 192 Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Breakfast - well slept thru that one

Lunch-  freezer meal

Dinner- left over pork chops, chopped potato and veggies

snacks - anything thats OPEN----DS i love you butp lease do not open another package of something in this house  OMG

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#184 of 192 Old 02-18-2014, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Does anyone else meal plan long term?
We lay out lunch and supper for an entire month at a time. We clean out all three freezers and plan based on that. Breakfasts and snack are basic stuff that we keep stocked at all times, though I'm thinking of planning in some breakfast casseroles and frozen cinnamon rolls this next month and see how that works for us.

So, what are some tips and tricks that you use for meal planning more than a week ahead?

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#185 of 192 Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

I have done monthly meal planning in the past and found it helped as long as I kept up with it. The biggest thing it helped with for me was food waste. We do eat leftovers but I found it easier to convert our leftovers to a new meal and this required meal planning to have the ingredients on hand for the change. Some examples of this are chill made into chili poppers the next night (chili filled cornbread muffins) or making a pot roast that becomes beef stew then vegetable soup. This really helped to keep away appetite fatigue if we had a lot of something left over especially when we had little ones that didn't eat much of the family meal.

I found it easiest to stick to a menu if dinner was the only really pre-planned meal. Breakfast and lunch would have 7 options for the week and repeat each week. Snacks would get chosen based on what I wanted to make or what was on sale. Snacks, breakfast and lunch would go on a list of options for the week and we would choose an option each day that we wanted. Dinner would be planned by the day so that I could prepare ahead of time if needed plus make good use of leftovers. I haven't done this in a while though and really need to get back to it.

Wolfcat likes this.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#186 of 192 Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 AM

Still chugging along. This weeks' free haul included lots of turkey lunchmeat, frito chips, hamburger buns, salad greens, potato buns, and more bagels. At least this time it was the mini cinnamon swirl ones - dd likes those toasted with butter & sugar. Hit a sale on shredded cheese - 12oz & 16oz bags for $1. Got a ton of mozzarella, Monterrey jack, and one jalapeno jack {but it was a bit spicy when I used it to make frito chili pie so not sure how I'll use the rest up}.

We've been doing sandwiches for lunch with thin sliced bagels, turkey lunchmeat, and cheese I got on clearance. DD is much happier with them now that I got mustard, lol.

Thinking tonight will be homemade pizzas, using either bagels or english muffins, pasta sauce, and clearance cheese. Or I might do that for a snack for the kiddo & her friends from next door when they show up this afternoon.

And I'm making bread pudding again :)

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#187 of 192 Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

breakfast was mini bagels with cream cheese and bananas.  lunch they ordered from school today.  Dinner was stir fry(clean out the fridge for veggies) over brown rice and some chicken on top for the girls.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#188 of 192 Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 AM

Dinner last night ended up being chicken sandwiches, using free buns. Paired with french fries that needed used.

Today's menu:

Breakfast: Bagels with cream cheese for me, bagels with butter & sugar for dd.

Lunch: leftover chicken patties, either on buns or as-is, paired with maybe some alfredo mix {to use up milk that needs used}

Dinner: I'm thinking fish sandwiches with rice & veggies. I have some cauliflower that needs steamed. Not 100% sure though, but it will have to be an easy meal.

#189 of 192 Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 AM

It's cold & wet today, so I'm trying to run the oven to help warm the house.

Breakfast:

Bread pudding fresh from the oven

Lunch:

I'm thinking maybe a hot lunchmeat sandwich, or soup & sandwich

Dinner:

Fish, Rice & Cauliflower - last night we ended up doing hot dogs instead.

#190 of 192 Old 02-28-2014, 11:06 PM

Did a massive freshness policy haul today - had to go super early to drop off our cat to get fixed, so we killed time at the grocery store 2 blocks away. I am now drowning in milk, yogurt, Orange Juice, tortillas, and bread items. Ended up getting 3 gallons and a quart of milk, plus 2 gallons of OJ. Probably going to give away a gallon of the milk - one was fat free, and we are not fans of fat free milk honestly - we normally buy whole milk. I dunno - maybe I can use it for cooking if I add a bit extra butter? And some bread items that ended up having stuff dd is allergic to in them.

Also got butternut squash cubes - not quite sure what to do with those. Thinking maybe some type of squash bread?

Today {Saturday} meal plan:

Breakfast:

Either bagels with cream cheese / butter & sugar OR milk & cereal. OJ to drink.

Lunch:

Lunchmeat sandwiches, using free lunchmeat, free bagel thins, and cheap cheese. Either Milk or OJ to drink.

Dinner:

Chicken helper, using thin sliced marinated chicken from the freezer {got on clearance a while back}. Doing the Alfredo one as it uses a boatload of milk {5 cups!}

veggies

dinner rolls

#191 of 192 Old 03-01-2014, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Trying to do as little grocery shopping as possible before we head on vacation in a little over a week.

3/1 ranch, parm. chicken, rice, asparagus

3/2 beef roast, potatoes, carrots

3/3 cheesy, smoked sausage pasta

3/4 beef stew

3/5 easy taco casserole

3/6 brown sugar glazed pork chops, rice, veggies

3/7 leftovers

3/8 pancakes

3/9 pork roast, mashed potatoes, veggies

3/10 leftovers

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#192 of 192 Old 03-01-2014, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Did a massive freshness policy haul today - had to go super early to drop off our cat to get fixed, so we killed time at the grocery store 2 blocks away. I am now drowning in milk, yogurt, Orange Juice, tortillas, and bread items. Ended up getting 3 gallons and a quart of milk, plus 2 gallons of OJ. Probably going to give away a gallon of the milk - one was fat free, and we are not fans of fat free milk honestly - we normally buy whole milk. I dunno - maybe I can use it for cooking if I add a bit extra butter? And some bread items that ended up having stuff dd is allergic to in them.

Also got butternut squash cubes - not quite sure what to do with those. Thinking maybe some type of squash bread?

Today {Saturday} meal plan:

Breakfast:

Either bagels with cream cheese / butter & sugar OR milk & cereal. OJ to drink.

Lunch:

Lunchmeat sandwiches, using free lunchmeat, free bagel thins, and cheap cheese. Either Milk or OJ to drink.

Dinner:

Chicken helper, using thin sliced marinated chicken from the freezer {got on clearance a while back}. Doing the Alfredo one as it uses a boatload of milk {5 cups!}

veggies

dinner rolls

Does your daughter like chili?  Maybe mash up the squash well and mix it into the chili?  I bet the flavor would camoflage it really well.

Or these are delish. http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/24/black-bean-and-butternut-squash-burritos/

Or these and sub the squash for the pumpkin.  It's not a ton different in flavor.  Plus you use pumpkin pie spices and top with cinnamon and sugar and it's incredible. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/10/promise-keeper-pumpkin-eater/ 

Also, for the milk, it shouldn't matter for cooking with if you use fat free.  In something like pancakes you would be totally fine and unable to tell.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Tags
Frugality , Popular On Mothering In 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page