What's the going rate for childcare?? (I'm in the northeast) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quick backstory: I have a friend that watches a couple of school age kids. Her youngest daughter and my youngest daughter are best friends (they are 5 years old).

My mom turns 85 this Decemeber and wants to take me and my three brothers on a trip. This requires me to find childcare for my three kiddos while I am gone. I asked thid friend of mine if she would consider doing it, but she won't tell me what to pay her (doesn't want to take ANY money, but that makes me uncomfortable).

My 11yo and 9 yo would get on the bus in the morning and take the bus to her house (3pmish), DH would pick them up by 6pm, hopefully. So three hours. My 5yo is in afternoon Kindergarten, so she would get dropped off at this friend;s house at 7:30 and be there until noon. Then go back there from 3:30pm until 6pm.

What should I offer to pay her for the five days??? I don't want to offer too little, but we are also not flush with cash, so I don't want to pay too much either...

#2 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The going rate in my area is $8 to $10 an hour.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#3 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

So in a situation like this ( a full week of childcare) I would still calculate it out the same way? So...three hours a day = 15 hours = $150 for the week. Plus the extra hours in the morning for just one child (still $8-$10 an hour?). I was thinking $200-$300, so I guess I'm in the ballpark.

#4 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina47454 View Post

So in a situation like this ( a full week of childcare) I would still calculate it out the same way? So...three hours a day = 15 hours = $150 for the week. Plus the extra hours in the morning for just one child (still $8-$10 an hour?). I was thinking $200-$300, so I guess I'm in the ballpark.

I would say yes.  My cousin babysits for a family and she gets the same rate for one of the kids as she does if all three are at home.  (for reference, the kids are 9, 11, and 14)

Some may debate whether the rate should be cheaper because the kids are coming to her.

I am in PA and my son's after school program costs $12 per day (for two hours) but that is operated by a not-for-profit.

#5 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I pay my sitter $10 an hour for my three kids but she's a friend of mine, doesn't have to feed them, has them for short periods of time, and they come to her.  I'm also in the Northeast.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#6 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

How do you think I should calculate the hours when she has just my 5 year old? The two girls are friends and do playdates all the time, but I don't want to take advantage of that part of it.

#7 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 02:00 PM

My three year old goes to an at home daycare. The woman is licensed and has been doing this her entire life (and she may be 65+). She has 4 kids (a 6mth old, an 18mth old and two 3 year olds. She charges 30 dollars a day 8am - 5pm.  I believe that a babysitter that comes to your house is different then someone that does daycare. I pay a babysitter around 8 dollars / hr (that is more then minimum wage and no deductions) and I round up (several dollars to 5 additional.).

For the person running a daycare from home the going rate in this area (CNY) is 30 dollars a day. (there are three in my neighbourhood, all charging the same amount.) In your case I might offer 15 / day for the half day and 10 dollars for each kid that does the before and after school care.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#8 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 02:01 PM

If it was me, I would write everything down at the $10 rate (or whatever rate you pick) and break it out by times.  If she wants to say "hey, don't worry about Sally because they would play together anyway (or give me less)" that gives her the opportunity to speak up.  For situations like this, I like to err on the side of being too generous in order to avoid hurt feelings.

swede likes this.

#9 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You can find babysitter rate calculators online that take into account local factors like higher cost of living, but it sounds like you have a good figure in mind. I used sittercity's calc.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#10 of 11 Old 10-24-2013, 04:19 PM

I'd be paying her for every hour they are in her care, since those are hours that she can't run out and do errands with her own kids only, etc.  Even if the 5 year olds play a lot, you would never have a kid over every morning of the week, so I wouldn't treat them all like playdates.  In fact, her flexibility and availability (you'd never find a sitter on short notice who you trust with this perfect availability) would make me want to round up after calculating the hourly cost, but that's just me.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#11 of 11 Old 10-24-2013, 04:20 PM

PS here in the northeast I pay a 12-14 year old $10 an hour.  That's bare minimum but of course it's very regional.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page