November Spend-less Challenge- Enjoying a cornucopia of savings!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 130 Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Grocery budget:  $625- this does NOT include beef and chicken.  We buy our beef by the side and chickens in bulk from a friend; both are already paid for.

Gifts- $50 each for DD1 and DS2. DH is the other birthday this month and he got his gift yesterday, a cell phone upgrade (budgeted).

Knit a stick horse head, 2 pairs of child gloves, a pair of mittens, a hat, and sew a Waldorf baby doll for Christmas gifts.

:treehugger  Do something intentionally frugal every day.

1.  :thumb   Co-op order placed, $117.70, DH stopped @ store $7.14; $500.16 left in the grocery budget.  :treehugger  With DH's cell phone upgrade came a contract change, lowered our cell phone bill about $15/ month.  Mended one of the baby's knitted wool diaper covers.

2.  :thumb  Quick grocery run, $21.27, $478.70 left in grocery budget.  :treehugger  Strained the beef stock I had in the crockpot and separated it into ziplocs to freeze.  My stock is made from soup bones AND miscellaneous bones I get from our beef farmer.  Made a batch of crockpot granola.  Picked up chicken necks and feet from my "chicken friend".  They butchered 16 birds of which I bought 8, but she doesn't use ANY of the feet and necks.  She gave them ALL to me for FREE:joy  They make the most beautiful chicken stock, which I will get started later tonight or tomorrow.

3.  :irked  Big monthly Costco shop today and I've already OVER spent the month's grocery budget *sigh*  Granted, for the rest of the month, the only grocery shopping that will be done is when I ask DH to stop and pick up milk every week, but that's still about another $25.  :treehugger  Started a batch of chicken stock from saved chicken carcasses and chicken feet.

4.  :irked  Zulily had bunk beds for sale.  We've been looking for bunk beds for our girls.  Zulily had a set for $249.99, regularly $499 (I checked, some places were as high as $550!!)  We ordered 2 sets of bunks for the price of 1!!!  While very frugal for us, it wasn't in the budget this month.  Also ordered a pair of casual Clarks shoes for me, $54.99.  :treehugger  Extended the mashed potatoes by adding some parsnips from the garden.  Strained the chicken stock and reduced it down to concentrate it more.

5.  :thumb  DH picked up the birthday gifts.  Ordered Five Guys Burgers for lunch, budgeted for.

6.  :thumb

7.  :irked  Ordered a long sleeve running shirt for myself (it was on sale, is my excuse) and placed a fairly large order w/ Mountain Rose Herbs.  :treehugger  Made split pea soup for dinner using a leftover ham bone I was saving in the freezer.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#62 of 130 Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

1  :2whistle Ate at Dairy Queen while I had a tire patched.  The repair was free, the errand on the way to work.

2  :throb  No spend

3  shine.gif  DH picking up some groceries

4  shine.gif  Groceries.... aaaand wee little treat.  Not counting that.  It's "groceries".

5  shine.gif

6  :2whistle Ate lunch out with girls.  Some planned spending on crafts stuff and unplanned--both minor.

7  :2whistle 4-H training night.  Picked up some dinner for myself at grocery store deli instead of packing it. 

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#63 of 130 Old 11-08-2013, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Another no spend here, though I am gearing up to spend some money this weekend.  My boys need a better place to do their homework, so we are going to take a trip to IKEA this weekend and get them some cheap desks.  Probably will be a couple hundred dollars for 2 desks, lamps and a couple of shelves. I should have done this ages ago, just getting around to it finally.  Of course, if we go to IKEA we will probably stop for meatballs at the cafeteria.  :2whistle

And my kids are begging for swim team and basketball....dh and I will sit down this weekend and look over our goals and see what we can make happen.  The days are darker and rainy lately, so I know the kids need more ways to get out their energy and organized sports are a good way to do that.  So much easier in the summer when I can just take them hiking, swimming, biking, etc....

The groceries are holding well.  I have a chicken thawing for dinner and enough produce and rice for another day or two.  Might stop for milk, but that should be it until I go shopping on Sunday.  

:thumb No spend/budgeted spending

nono.gif Un-budgeted spending

November 1 -- :thumb

November 2 -- nono.gif 10.00 pool,  :thumb 129.07 groceries

November 3 -- :thumb

November 4 -- :thumb 60.07 gas for van

November 5 -- :thumb  28.73 groceries

November 6 -- :thumb 24.64 groceries/household

November 7 -- :thumb

November 8 -- :thumb

November 9

November 10

November 11

Goals for November:

Groceries 182.44/900.00

Gas 1/2 tanks

Register Van ~ 150.00

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#64 of 130 Old 11-08-2013, 02:33 PM

Spent $15 on groceries today, which leaves me with $200 for the rest of the month. We could possibly just baaaaaarely squeak by on that thanks to the food I have in the freezer and pantry (lots of oats, canned tuna/salmon, frozen chicken and stock, etc.), but I'll have to sit down and do some meal planning so I don't blow it. I also spent $15 on a stocking stuffer (a mishmash of stackable bracelets) for my DD11, who's just starting to get into wearing fun jewelry. Hopefully the purchase was worth it--almost seems like too good a deal! I'll probably also spend a little more for Christmas tonight on Etsy. I just need to narrow down some options. All Christmas spending is already budgeted though. I'm just trying to stay ahead of all my shopping this year so I can actually enjoy the season!

Key: 

No unplanned/unbudgeted spending: thumb.gif

Unbudgeted spending: irked.gif

Ate at home all day: yummy.gif

Did something mindfully frugal: orngbiggrin.gif

----------------------

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 1/23

Mindfully frugal days: 0/23

11/7: irked.gif $14: Food out/treat for DH. $135: Groceries and comfort food (budgeted). 

11/8: thumb.gif Groceries (budgeted) $15. Christmas gift (budgeted): $15. 

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#65 of 130 Old 11-08-2013, 06:29 PM

11/1 - :love no spend

11/2 - :thumb planned spending $46 grocery store, $105 Costco, $28 Elephant Revival ticket

11/3 - :thumb planned spending $4 flowers for a friend's blessingway, $35 gas

11/4 - :love no spend

11/5 - :love no spend

11/6 - duh.gif unplanned spending $2 school lunch for DS, $32 dress for me

11/7 - duh.gif unplanned spending $57 running shoes

11/8 - :love no spend

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#66 of 130 Old 11-09-2013, 08:34 AM

No spending at all yesterday! We got stuck at home all day because my DH accidentally left for work with the carseat in his car. One positive outcome: no spending!

Today I plan to spend $10 on some groceries.
#67 of 130 Old 11-09-2013, 07:34 PM

Vegged at home all day, cooked at home all day, so no spending. 

Key: 

----------------------

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 2/23

11/7: irked.gif $14: Food out/treat for DH. $135: Groceries and comfort food (budgeted). 

11/8: thumb.gif yummy.gif Groceries (budgeted) $15. Christmas gift (budgeted): $15. 

11/9: thumb.gif yummy.gif 

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#68 of 130 Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 PM

I'm on my phone so it's a pain to do emoticons and such for my "reports..."

Spent more than $10 but it was for grocery stuff I should have anticipated. $25 for almond milk, cow milk, goat milk (sadly everyone in my household drinks different milk), cheese, 2 big bags of produce, and a pack of training pants--not bad!

I'm never totally sure what my DH is spending, though. Are you guys tracking that too?
#69 of 130 Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 PM

@melissel, what do you do with the canned salmon? We have some canned Alaskan sockeye salmon we need to use, and I used to occasionally eat it mixed with brown rice and salad, but it kind of grossed me out. I need to come up with a recipe my family will eat.
#70 of 130 Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esinedeggplant View Post

@melissel, what do you do with the canned salmon? We have some canned Alaskan sockeye salmon we need to use, and I used to occasionally eat it mixed with brown rice and salad, but it kind of grossed me out. I need to come up with a recipe my family will eat.

canned salmon is good for salmon burgers.  I also make a salmon salad - much like tuna salad - only for some reason I started adding pieces of apple to the salmon salad and I really like it like that.  I only buy the boneless canned salmon.  Once I got some that had lots of bones in it and that grossed me out. 

#71 of 130 Old 11-10-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

01...  $122 New Dog

02...  :thumb

03...  $93  New Dog

09..  :thumb

10..  :thumb

#72 of 130 Old 11-10-2013, 07:23 AM

1   :2whistle Ate at Dairy Queen while I had a tire patched.  The repair was free, the errand on the way to work.

2   :throb  No spend

3   shine.gif  DH picking up some groceries

4   shine.gif  Groceries.... aaaand wee little treat.  Not counting that.  It's "groceries".

5   shine.gif

6   :2whistle Ate lunch out with girls.  Some planned spending on crafts stuff and unplanned--both minor.

7   :2whistle 4-H training night.  Picked up some dinner for myself at grocery store deli instead of packing it. 

8   :2whistle Enrolled girls in gymnastics.  Groceries

9   :throb  No spend

10 :throb

Finally picked up a new client.  Two more to go, and I should be doing fine.  Enrolled the girls in gym, even though I should have waited a bit more.  It makes such a huge difference in the mood around here, and feelings of self-worth.  We've been doing gym so long, I feel like it sort of defines us.  So, not quite financially ready for this, but almost there.  And certainly we are not going into debt, so that's a plus.  Still busy finding clients, but feeling much more optimistic.  Need to keep all other spending under wraps, though.  The girls do need some cozy fleece pants.

#73 of 130 Old 11-10-2013, 11:58 AM

11/2 - :thumb planned spending $46 grocery store, $105 Costco, $28 Elephant Revival ticket

11/9 - :thumb planned spending $48 groceries, $20 gas

I actually made money yesterday…my friend ending up getting free tickets to the show we went to last night (that I had bought tix for already), so I sold my other one and she bought me drinks to cover her cost of the other one I had bought for her ;)  Anyway, I'm putting that money I made from my ticket toward tickets for shows this weekend that I really want to go to.  Today is already an unplanned spending day, but I'll come back and tally later, since I might go to the thrift store this afternoon, too.

#74 of 130 Old 11-10-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Grocery budget:  $625- this does NOT include beef and chicken.  We buy our beef by the side and chickens in bulk from a friend; both are already paid for.

Gifts- $50 each for DD1 and DS2. DH is the other birthday this month and he got his gift yesterday, a cell phone upgrade (budgeted).

Knit a stick horse head, 2 pairs of child gloves, a pair of mittens, a hat, and sew a Waldorf baby doll for Christmas gifts.

:treehugger  Do something intentionally frugal every day.

1.  :thumb   Co-op order placed, $117.70, DH stopped @ store $7.14; $500.16 left in the grocery budget.  :treehugger  With DH's cell phone upgrade came a contract change, lowered our cell phone bill about $15/ month.  Mended one of the baby's knitted wool diaper covers.

2.  :thumb  Quick grocery run, $21.27, $478.70 left in grocery budget.  :treehugger  Strained the beef stock I had in the crockpot and separated it into ziplocs to freeze.  My stock is made from soup bones AND miscellaneous bones I get from our beef farmer.  Made a batch of crockpot granola.  Picked up chicken necks and feet from my "chicken friend".  They butchered 16 birds of which I bought 8, but she doesn't use ANY of the feet and necks.  She gave them ALL to me for FREE:joy  They make the most beautiful chicken stock, which I will get started later tonight or tomorrow.

3.  :irked  Big monthly Costco shop today and I've already OVER spent the month's grocery budget *sigh*  Granted, for the rest of the month, the only grocery shopping that will be done is when I ask DH to stop and pick up milk every week, but that's still about another $25.  :treehugger  Started a batch of chicken stock from saved chicken carcasses and chicken feet.

4.  :irked  Zulily had bunk beds for sale.  We've been looking for bunk beds for our girls.  Zulily had a set for $249.99, regularly $499 (I checked, some places were as high as $550!!)  We ordered 2 sets of bunks for the price of 1!!!  While very frugal for us, it wasn't in the budget this month.  Also ordered a pair of casual Clarks shoes for me, $54.99.  :treehugger  Extended the mashed potatoes by adding some parsnips from the garden.  Strained the chicken stock and reduced it down to concentrate it more.

5.  :thumb  DH picked up the birthday gifts.  Ordered Five Guys Burgers for lunch, budgeted for.

6.  :thumb

7.  :irked  Ordered a long sleeve running shirt for myself (it was on sale, is my excuse) and placed a fairly large order w/ Mountain Rose Herbs.  :treehugger  Made split pea soup for dinner using a leftover ham bone I was saving in the freezer.

8.  :thumb

9.  :irked  DH went and got cereal for breakfast.  Our grocery budget is blown for the month, but I did notice that DH said we were low on some of his toiletries and it turns out we weren't, so next month's grocery budget doesn't need to b as high.

10. :irked  DH stopped at the store again.  *sigh*  I need to sit down and meal plan for the rest of the month, this is getting ridiculous.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#75 of 130 Old 11-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Another long day dealing with too much sadness :( A large bottle of wine is in order. Bought more flowers for graves, and bought some groceries (salad, TP, yogurt, etc., budgeted). Didn't eat at home all day, but MIL insisted on paying for dinner, so no spending there. 

Key: 

----------------------

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 2/23

11/8: thumb.gif yummy.gif Groceries (budgeted) $15. Christmas gift (budgeted): $15. 

11/10: irked.gif Wine: $13. Flowers: $20. Groceries: $40 (budgeted).

#76 of 130 Old 11-10-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:

I'm never totally sure what my DH is spending, though. Are you guys tracking that too?

I typically don't track DH's spending if it's personal money (his allowance) that he's spending. If he's buying something for us/the household (e.g., a big bottle of wine!), then I count it.

Quote:

I just do salmon salad too, or break it up over a green salad with a vinaigrette. No one has liked any of the recipes I've tried using the canned salmon, so I just go pretty simple with it. The kids like it with some mayo in it and some crackers and veggies to scoop it with.

#77 of 130 Old 11-10-2013, 05:15 PM

11/10 - duh.gif unplanned spending $2 online music (overage after $20 in amazon gift cards), $17 Savers

Got 2 cardigans for myself (better than the $50 one I was eyeing up online!) and a much needed pair of pj pants for DD.  

#78 of 130 Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Big spending yesterday.  Picked up two desks, shelves and lamps for the boys.  IKEA had the perfect set-up and the price was right.   I have looked around for second hand stuff for the past few months and the selection has been crap.  And what is it with the mark up at the second hand shops lately?  Good grief. 

Did the grocery shopping, too.  I will probably need to pick up a few more food items.   I just didn't buy enough food yesterday and we have all ready eaten most of the fruit.  

November 9 -- :thumb

November 10 -- :thumb 149.65 groceries, :thumb desks and lamps for the boys, nono.gif 36.63 lunch

November 11

Goals for November:

Groceries 332.09/900.00

Gas 1/2 tanks

Register Van ~ 150.00

#79 of 130 Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 PM

1   :2whistle Ate at Dairy Queen while I had a tire patched.  The repair was free, the errand on the way to work.

4   shine.gif  Groceries.... aaaand wee little treat.  Not counting that.  It's "groceries".

5   shine.gif

6   :2whistle Ate lunch out with girls.  Some planned spending on crafts stuff and unplanned--both minor.

7   :2whistle 4-H training night.  Picked up some dinner for myself at grocery store deli instead of packing it. 

11 shine.gif $14 donation to a little girl's fundraiser.  Small snack.

Today could have better, but could also have been a whole lot worse.  I don't take the girls around on errands much anymore, and that's kinder to my wallet.

#80 of 130 Old 11-11-2013, 07:48 PM

11/10 - duh.gif unplanned spending $2 online music (overage after $20 in amazon gift cards), $17 Savers

11/11 - :thumb planned spending $251 new windshield; duh.gif unplanned spending $28 new pendant and bindis 

Well, I seem to be spending quite a bit of money this month.  I'm okay with that and I'm still staying within my budget as of right now.  

#81 of 130 Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 PM

Stayed home and forced the children to clean their rooms, so no spending today :mischief Made banana bread for breakfast with bananas we ended up bringing home from the hotel breakfast buffet last week, and ate from the pantry and freezer the rest of the day. 

Key: 

----------------------

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 3/23

11/11: thumb.gif yummy.gif 

#82 of 130 Old 11-11-2013, 09:33 PM

Last night we ended up eating out (about $21), unplanned.
Today we ate at home all day and
I did a planned grocery run at Aldi, $17, and filled up gas tank, $35. We also went to a state park for free for Veteran's Day, yay! $1 donation.

I finally started using Mint again and realized I've been spending way more than I thought on groceries -- about $860 last month, YIKES! That does include pull-ups, toiletries, and a couple bulk purchases (like Costco bulk, not 25-lb bags of grain or anything). We seriously can't afford to be spending that much.
#83 of 130 Old 11-12-2013, 08:51 AM

Kids had the day off yesterday and we went out for ice cream.  :yum

November 10 -- :thumb 149.65 groceries, :thumb desks and lamps for the boys, nono.gif 36.63 lunch

November 11 -- nono.gif 12.75 ice cream for kids

Goals for November:

Groceries 332.09/900.00

Gas 1/2 tanks

Register Van ~ 150.00

#84 of 130 Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM

I neglected to pack some lunch for after the play we saw today, so we ended up spending around $20 for lunch. I also paid my library fine/movie rental fee ($4), bought cheese at BJ's, which should last us at least a week or so ($21), and spent $105 finishing off two micro loans on Kiva.com (only $55 out of pocket though, the other $50 was from repayments from previous loans). I still need to plan better around food, which is a constant stumbling point for me. We eat breakfast later than normal, so mid-day outings usually cross over our lunchtime, and if we're going to be out of the house, I'm lost. I need to plan our days better so I'm not caught unaware so often! 

Key: 

----------------------

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 3/23

11/12: irked.gif Lunch out: $20. Library fine/movie rental: $4. Cheese: $21 (out of grocery budget). Kiva.com: $55.

#85 of 130 Old 11-12-2013, 04:51 PM

Quick grocery trip for more produce, milk and beer for dh. 

November 12 -- :thumb 48.10 groceries

Goals for November:

Groceries 380.10/900.00

Gas 1/2 tanks

Register Van ~ 150.00

#86 of 130 Old 11-12-2013, 06:35 PM

11/11 - :thumb planned spending $251 new windshield; duh.gif unplanned spending $28 new pendant and bindis 

11/12 - :love no spend

#87 of 130 Old 11-13-2013, 03:24 PM

Spent a glorious morning at the DMA (slight sarcasm) and got our van registered in our new state.  I underestimated the cost and was a bit shocked to write a check for $194.00.  I'll need to spend a few bucks tomorrow to mail the old plates back. 

The budget is still holding though, so no complaints.  The grocery budget is solid and we are eating good meals, so my new, lower budget is certainly feasible.  Just kind of riding along right now.   I have more than half of my food budget left, money for another tank of gas, and about $200 of unbudgeted cash to cover any extras that pop up.

November 12 -- :thumb 48.10 groceries

November 13 -- :thumb 194.00 title and registration for van -- overbudget, but very necessary

November 14

November 15

November 16

November 17

Goals for November:

Groceries 380.10/900.00

Gas 1/2 tanks

Register Van ~ 194.00/150.00

#88 of 130 Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 PM

I managed to get through the whole day without spending anything other than the $20 on DD8's weekly class! That includes my having to take the kids to a library function, then over to my parents' so I could go to a meeting. I hadn't eaten dinner, and while I had a few bites of food at my parents' house to tide me over until I got home, I successfully resisted the urger to stop at every pizzeria, McD's, and Wendy's I passed on the way :bgbounce My parents fed the kids, and DH fed himself. Woohoo!

Key: 

----------------------

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 4/23

11/12: irked.gif Lunch out: $20. Library fine/movie rental: $4. Cheese: $21 (out of grocery budget). Kiva.com: $55.

11/13: thumb.gif yummy.gif Class fee: $20 (budgeted)

#89 of 130 Old 11-13-2013, 08:03 PM

5   shine.gif

11 shine.gif $14 donation to a little girl's fundraiser.  Small snack.

12 shine.gif Groceries

13 :2whistle mini mart snacks, nothing big but the past-date oreo sale was too much to pass up.

14 :throb recording an early no-spend

#90 of 130 Old 11-14-2013, 08:51 PM

Spent $24 on Cici's pizza for dinner tonight because the the chicken I was thawing is still half frozen (and frankly, I've been craving pizza!). DH spent $39 on groceries, mostly for lunches for him at work, and eggs and milk. Not terrible, but not fabulous. At least I can say it was conscious decision to get dinner out rather than a function of my usual disorganization :blush

Key: 

----------------------

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 4/23

11/12: irked.gif Lunch out: $20. Library fine/movie rental: $4. Cheese: $21 (out of grocery budget). Kiva.com: $55.

11/13: thumb.gif yummy.gif Class fee: $20 (budgeted)

11/14: irked.gif Dinner out: $24. Groceries: $39 (out of grocery budget). 

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page