November Spend-less Challenge- Enjoying a cornucopia of savings!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 130 Old 11-23-2013, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

1   :2whistle Ate at Dairy Queen while I had a tire patched.  The repair was free, the errand on the way to work.

2   :throb  No spend

3   shine.gif  DH picking up some groceries

4   shine.gif  Groceries.... aaaand wee little treat.  Not counting that.  It's "groceries".

5   shine.gif

6   :2whistle Ate lunch out with girls.  Some planned spending on crafts stuff and unplanned--both minor.

7   :2whistle 4-H training night.  Picked up some dinner for myself at grocery store deli instead of packing it. 

8   :loveeyes Enrolled girls in gymnastics.  Groceries

9   :throb  No spend

10 :throb

11 shine.gif $14 donation to a little girl's fundraiser.  Small snack.

12 shine.gif Groceries

13 :2whistle mini mart snacks, nothing big but the past-date oreo sale was too much to pass up.

14 :throb No-spend

15 :2whistle Snacks and eat out with girls (about $10--not bad).  Planned Christmas light spending.  Gas.  :sipCoffee. 

16 :throb No spend

17 :throb

18 :2whistleGroceries (plus too many cookies).  Planned spending on fleece pants etc.  Plus mall treats.  Not bad, but so hard to keep it tight with the girls along.

19 shine.gif Groceries.  Girls and I stayed home.

20 :2whistle Ate out with dd after a dentist appointment.  Found nice work shirts for dh and a swimsuit for dd at the thrift store.

21 :throb

22 shine.gif Groceries and planned spending but...... :2whistle Ate lunch out and grabbed a coffee at the coffee stand.  :nut  Electrician.

23 :throb No spend

24 :throb 

Almost forgot the electrician.  Aack!  It was around $100, but then again, it was only $100!

Gifts: $0/$400

Junk: $13 tree lights

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#122 of 130 Old 11-23-2013, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Spent $30 on a birthday present and spent $6 on groceries (needed frozen corn and corn starch to make tonight's meal). I'm doubling tonight's dinner, so that will get us all through lunch tomorrow, and then I think I'll make eggs and sausage for dinner tomorrow. So tomorrow should be no-spend.

Key: 

No unplanned/unbudgeted spending: thumb.gif

Unbudgeted spending: irked.gif

Ate at home all day: yummy.gif

Did something mindfully frugal: orngbiggrin.gif

----------------------

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 6/23

Mindfully frugal days: 0/23

11/7: irked.gif $14: Food out/treat for DH. $135: Groceries and comfort food (budgeted). 

11/8: thumb.gif yummy.gif Groceries (budgeted) $15. Christmas gift (budgeted): $15. 

11/9: thumb.gif yummy.gif 

11/10: irked.gif Wine: $13. Flowers: $20. Groceries: $40 (budgeted).

11/11: thumb.gif yummy.gif 

11/12: irked.gif Lunch out: $20. Library fine/movie rental: $4. Cheese: $21 (out of grocery budget). Kiva.com: $55.

11/13: thumb.gif yummy.gif Class fee: $20 (budgeted)

11/14: irked.gif Dinner out: $24. Groceries: $39 (out of grocery budget). 

11/15: irked.gif Takeout dinner: $20

11/16: irked.gif Takeout dinner and ice cream: $48. Groceries: $10 (out of grocery budget).

11/17: irked.gif yummy.gif Movie for DD: $20. Groceries: $61. Gas for car: $54.

11/18: thumb.gif yummy.gif Groceries: $20 (out of grocery budget). 

11/19: thumb.gif yummy.gif 

11/20: I can't remember! I suspect I spent a few dollars.

11/21: irked.gif yummy.gif Kindle books: $4. Groceries: $5. Hair products: $15 (budgeted)

11/22: irked.gif yummy.gif Co-op registration: $60 (budgeted). Gorceries: $44 (over budget). Hair products: $12 (budgeted). Cake: $16 (definitely not budgeted!).

11/23: irked.gif yummy.gif Birthday gift: $30 (budgeted). Groceries to finish out recipe: $6 (over budget). 

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#123 of 130 Old 11-23-2013, 09:47 PM

11/1 - :love no spend

11/2 - :thumb planned spending $46 grocery store, $105 Costco, $28 Elephant Revival ticket

11/3 - :thumb planned spending $4 flowers for a friend's blessingway, $35 gas

11/4 - :love no spend

11/5 - :love no spend

11/6 - duh.gif unplanned spending $2 school lunch for DS, $32 dress for me

11/7 - duh.gif unplanned spending $57 running shoes

11/8 - :love no spend

11/9 - :thumb planned spending $48 groceries, $20 gas

11/10 - duh.gif unplanned spending $2 online music (overage after $20 in amazon gift cards), $17 Savers, $45 tickets to see music (2 nights)

11/11 - :thumb planned spending $251 new windshield; duh.gif unplanned spending $28 new pendant and bindis 

11/12 - :love no spend

11/13 - :love no spend

11/14 - :love no spend

11/15 - :love no spend

11/16 - :thumb planned spending $32 groceries, $25 gas; duh.gif unplanned spending $22 thrift store (returned $15 of it and got store credit), $22 metaphysical store, $87 online shopping, $38 drinks (this is all coming out of my birthday money I'll be getting soon--so much for not pre spending it this year!)

11/17 - duh.gif unplanned spending $10 burger

11/18 - duh.gif unplanned spending $35 dinner

11/19 - duh.gif unplanned spending $5 cookies

11/20 - :love no spend

11/21 - :love no spend

11/22 - :love no spend

11/23 - :thumb planned spending $3 postage (returned some stuff I bought during my spending binge last weekend), $87 groceries, $11 headlight bulb

I'm over my grocery budget for the month.  I still need to buy things for Thanksgiving dinner.  Tomorrow will be a spending day also--I need to get gas and I need a new journal (which will come out of my birthday money).  DD also needs black pants and a white shirt for a school performance the week after next.  Gonna get that out of the way tomorrow, too.

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#124 of 130 Old 11-24-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

I'm over my grocery budget for the month.  I still need to buy things for Thanksgiving dinner.  

I hope you are not including Thanksgiving in the regular grocery budget.  I never include holiday celebration food when I keep track of those sorts of things. Yes, technically you do eat it, but considering the food is often more expensive, and more of it all around, it really skews what a regular month looks like.  Unless it's beans, potatoes and cabbage for T-day!

#125 of 130 Old 11-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I hope you are not including Thanksgiving in the regular grocery budget.  I never include holiday celebration food when I keep track of those sorts of things. Yes, technically you do eat it, but considering the food is often more expensive, and more of it all around, it really skews what a regular month looks like.  Unless it's beans, potatoes and cabbage for T-day!

I didn't include it, but set aside money that I ended up spending on other stuff ;)  I'm just gonna go with the way-over-budget-for-the-rest-of-the-month thing and pay off my credit card when I get paid next week.  December will be better! 

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#126 of 130 Old 11-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Catching up for the past week.  I don't know what happened to me, I just spaced on keeping up with this thread.  We have been doing decently.  We bought another tank of gas that puts us over and our grocery/household budget is very tight now.  I bought cat food and litter, a turkey for Thanksgiving and all of our normal food stuff, plus it is the end of the month, so I shouldn't be surprised that I am down to the financial dregs.  

Overall I am very happy with the month so far.  I think we really need to budget for 3 tanks of gas.  I know we can go lower, but it means that we are housebound more than is comfortable.  I also took the kids in for haircuts.  This is something I can do at home and simply chose the path of convenience this month.  Not the frugal choice, but I am going with it for now.  I guess we are choosing some comfort and that always costs me money.  In my head, I really want to take my frugality to the wall and get our spending down even more and then there are days when I simply burn out on the whole thing and take my kids to Supercuts.  We did bicycle there, so that is something. 

:thumb No spend/budgeted spending

nono.gif Un-budgeted spending

November 1 -- :thumb

November 2 -- nono.gif 10.00 pool,  :thumb 129.07 groceries

November 3 -- :thumb

November 4 -- :thumb 60.07 gas for van

November 5 -- :thumb  28.73 groceries

November 6 -- :thumb 24.64 groceries/household

November 7 -- :thumb

November 8 -- :thumb

November 9 -- :thumb

November 10 -- :thumb 149.65 groceries, :thumb desks and lamps for the boys, nono.gif 36.63 lunch

November 11 -- nono.gif 12.75 ice cream for kids

November 12 -- :thumb 48.10 groceries

November 13 -- :thumb 194.00 title and registration for van -- overbudget, but very necessary

November 14 -- :thumb gas for van

November 15 -- :thumb

November 16 -- :thumb  107.58 groceries  nono.gif 22.17 tea and hot chocolate after chilly hike

November 17 -- nono.gif 5.61 frozen yogurt, :thumb 12.92 groceries

November 18 -- :thumb  20.00 bike light for dh, :thumb 17.97 groceries

November 19 -- :thumb 96.92 groceries

November 20 -- :thumb 20.00 farmer's market, nono.gif 10.00 breakfast with  friend

November 21 -- nono.gif a third tank of gas

November 22 -- nono.gif 10.00 movie night at kids' school

November 23 -- nono.gif 54.00 haircuts for 4 kids

November 24 -- :thumb groceries

November 25 --

November 26

November 27

November 28

November 29

November 30

Goals for November:

Groceries 831.15/900.00

Gas 3/2 tanks

Register Van ~ 194.00/150.00

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#127 of 130 Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 PM

1   :2whistle Ate at Dairy Queen while I had a tire patched.  The repair was free, the errand on the way to work.

4   shine.gif  Groceries.... aaaand wee little treat.  Not counting that.  It's "groceries".

5   shine.gif

6   :2whistle Ate lunch out with girls.  Some planned spending on crafts stuff and unplanned--both minor.

7   :2whistle 4-H training night.  Picked up some dinner for myself at grocery store deli instead of packing it. 

12 shine.gif Groceries

13 :2whistle mini mart snacks, nothing big but the past-date oreo sale was too much to pass up.

15 :2whistle Snacks and eat out with girls (about $10--not bad).  Planned Christmas light spending.  Gas.  :sipCoffee. 

18 :2whistleGroceries (plus too many cookies).  Planned spending on fleece pants etc.  Plus mall treats.  Not bad, but so hard to keep it tight with the girls along.

20 :2whistle Ate out with dd after a dentist appointment.  Found nice work shirts for dh and a swimsuit for dd at the thrift store.

22 shine.gif Groceries and planned spending but...... :2whistle Ate lunch out and grabbed a coffee at the coffee stand.  :nut  Electrician.

25 :2whistle Ate out with girls/snacks.  However, did resist buying sugary treats for me.

26 :2whistle Huge grocery bill.  

Gifts: $8/$400  

The first time I went to the co-op in 2 months, and I finally got everything.  DH is wonderful the way he sticks to the lists, but I do not do lists well and the available food at home has been ... hmmm... lacking.  Between Thanksgiving and catching up grocery-wise, the total was pretty steep.  Plus, bought 2 calendars-- one for me, one for the family (Bad Cats--the girls loved it!)

#128 of 130 Old 11-28-2013, 06:24 PM

5   shine.gif

12 shine.gif Groceries

25 :2whistle Ate out with girls/snacks.  However, did resist buying sugary treats for me.

26 :2whistle Huge grocery bill.  

27 :2whistle Mini mart snacks.  HUGE bag of potato chips.  Next time stop by after lunch.

28 :throb HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

#129 of 130 Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 AM

Well, as usual, the end of my month went crazy and I stopped keeping track. We did OK overall, though. Most of my spending has been for Christmas, for which we have a set budget. We've been over by about $170 on groceries, but considering that we started the month $200 over from last month's budget, I guess technically we're still ahead! And I'm still pretty pleased with that amount, because it means we stayed under $650 for groceries for the month (that includes stocking up on K-cups that were on sale for DH and buying Thanksgiving and pot luck supplies, but it doesn't include things like supplements from Vitacost or DH's hair goop--those are part of our personal care budget). And my MIL gave us some money from a collection family friends took up for her after our family's loss at the end of October, which was completely unexpected, but we're happy to have it since it pretty much covers the unexpected hotel costs.

Now bring on December!!! 

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#130 of 130 Old 11-30-2013, 09:34 AM

29 :throb No spend

30 Going shopping with dd1, will probably eat out.

November Summary:

11 days :throb= No spend

10 days :2whistle= iffy spending (6 of those eating out)

3 days :sip= coffee stand

So, actually, eating out wasn't so bad.  That didn't count mini-mart snacks, which covered the other days in that category.  I'm really pleased with this month, actually.  Could be better, but I think it was fairly reasonable.  The totals below will be added to next month, because today we are starting our shopping.  11 no spend days is really good for us, considering we live so far from anywhere, we need to time our stops according to where we will be.  That means a small amount of spending most days.

See you in December, when I expect I will thoroughly tank!  

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page