Getting Out of Debt in November 2013 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Just saw this giveaway on Dave Ramsey's facebook page.  Check it out http://www.daveramsey.com/giveaway

pollyanna02 likes this.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#32 of 48 Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

thanks lilac, I entered his giveaway!!!!

pollyanna02 likes this.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#33 of 48 Old 11-13-2013, 02:26 AM

You can enter his giveaway once every 24 hours and each week they pick a winner for some cash and the other prizes. I read through the terms and conditions and the amount of cash increases each week and the other prizes change.

pollyanna02 likes this.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#34 of 48 Old 11-13-2013, 04:54 AM

i'm really hoping to win this weeks because i have someone to give the other 2500 to :). my mom's roommate has been paying down a sears bill for the past 2 yrs and still has 1850 left on it it is his only debt and i would love it if he could pay it off.

#35 of 48 Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 AM

I am not sure who I would give the "friend money" to if I was to win. I would want to give it to someone for whom it would make the most good.  So many of my friends continue to live the "I will pay off the credit card later" lifestyle, have no budget, and no plan to get out of debt.

#36 of 48 Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 AM

I have several friends who could really use the money if I were to win (heck, who couldn't?) but I have one in particular that I encouraged to enter and we would pick one another. She has supported me and I have her through lots of financial ups and downs by listening, encouraging, understanding, and sometimes sharing resources. Honestly, she could use the money however makes sense to her but I think she would use it to eliminate debt and it would definitely bless her family.
Fingers crossed for all of us!
And lilacvioletiris, you could always share with a Mothering "friend" - ;-) ha ha ha
#37 of 48 Old 11-14-2013, 11:15 AM

dziejen, I had actually thought of that since those of you on this thread are actively working toward a debt free lifestyle and working through the baby steps.  One of my acquaintances had actually won money from a Dave Ramsey giveaway several years ago and it was enough to pay off their mortgage. I don't remember what the whole deal was, I think something about writing an essay about what their biggest debt was that was holding them back from giving as much as they would like or something. I hope someone I know wins something this time too.

#38 of 48 Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 PM

Things I've done towards getting out of debt so far this week:

Spent more time thinking about a realistic budget for us

Spent $40 on groceries (way less than usual) and ate at home for nearly all of the week

Refreshed and updated my Mint account and realized how off track we've been!

Sorted through bills and unopened mail and made preliminary list of debts/bills owed with account info, due dates, numbers, etc.

My next steps are to

1. Try to have a conversation with my DH about a budget we can both live with and a debt repayment strategy (we have very, very different views and habits regarding money and it's extremely hard to get on the same page about finances)

2. Make cash flow chart

3. Make a list in Excel of debts and overdue bills & rank in order of priority

4. Revise our budget to optimize repayment of debts

5. Call payees as needed to make payments & arrangements

Feeling a little more optimistic.

pollyanna02 likes this.
#39 of 48 Old 11-15-2013, 12:06 AM

part of the DR plan is that when the budget is made the couple sits down and the other person looks at it and changes something. i have been watching some DR youtube videos about relating with money.

as a single parent i really have no one but myself to account to.

#40 of 48 Old 11-15-2013, 03:12 AM

esinedeggplant, looks like an excellent list to begin with. Getting your DH on board is important. My DH wants to do all the accounting in his head and not write it down, but he knows that it makes me "happy and docile" to have a spreadsheet where I account for each expenditure and each incoming amount of money. Knowing where your money flows is so important to figure out where to "stop the leaks" in your finances.

Having my spreadsheet with my "debt snowball" has been encouraging to me too. I have it set up so it takes into account the interest rate and the payment amount I will make each month so I have a date for each different debt that I am paying off. Each month it gets recalculated a bit (automatically because of the equations in the spreadsheet) based on how many days I actually waited to pay the bill. It is amazing to see how 50 cents on the first bill can turn into a couple of dollars saved on the last bill as I go through my spreadsheet to determine the amount of my last payment.

#41 of 48 Old 11-16-2013, 08:05 AM

Thanks, guys. I've been sort of understating it maybe, but what if getting both people on board is not possible? I know it's important, even essential. But I think in my situation I have to accept that DH has not only a vastly different approach to money and spending, but major major issues that make a never-ending cycle of debt (incurred by him) very likely. We've worked on it together in the past and gotten in and out of his debt as a couple several times. Most of that is way beyond my control and I'm just exhausted. What do I do ? Is .

#42 of 48 Old 11-16-2013, 04:18 PM

does he like to read? would he read total money makeover? would he goto FPU with you? not sure what else to suggest. I'm working on getting my mom to start some of this budgeting stuff like she calls it. i'm working on her because she is the one in charge of the budgeting in the household. and she can work on her BF from there. *fingers crossed*

maybe get him to a blank budget sheet and get him to write what he thinks the budget should be.

#43 of 48 Old 11-29-2013, 04:26 AM

Well, today is a major shopping day in the U.S. for many people. I won't be going as I am way to pregnant to be dealing with crowds and chaos - although I did see some sales online that I might go for.

Great article about staying on budget for Christmas shopping.

http://content.crown.org/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/2064/p/p-0143/t/page/fm/0

#44 of 48 Old 11-29-2013, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the tips, lilac! I guess Santa isn't the only one who should make a list and check it twice. Haha corny joke.

I'm really committing to making gifts for people this year. I'm enjoying the Handmade Holidays thread. I'm planning to let my family members know that I'm not giving expensive gifts this year so they don't feel obligated to. I'm going to attempt to make everyone rice bag hand warmers and possibly neck warmers. Also considering making scarves and leg warmers out of old sweaters.

As for budgeting, we're doing ok. We traveled to visit family and went over budget, so we'll have to try to make that up elsewhere. I'm trying not to be too disappointed with us though since it's been 3 years since we last lived on a budget. We're going to start implementing the envelope method. We're really looking forward to getting some of our lower balances paid off in the next few months.

Also, I wrote down ALL of our debts and found that, excluding mortgage, we don't really have as much debt as we thought. I forget the exact number but it's right around $25k. Most of that is actually student loans and the rest of our vehicle loan (27 months left), so it's lower interest than if it was all credit card debt.
#45 of 48 Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have been reading about the laws of attraction and the idea that you attract what you think about....... I was wondering if we should change the name of thread to leave out the word Debt? Just a thought as I noticed theres not a December thread yet. Would be a good time to tweak the name.
If you all think I am just being silly, I will not be offended and can just put up the usual thread :-)

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 181/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012)
#46 of 48 Old 12-06-2013, 12:10 PM

You could google "law of attraction cult" and see what you find. Even if one finds some validity to this law of attraction idea in some way, the name as it is tells visitors, or people who may be interested in getting out of debt, what the thread is specifically about. Without using the word Debt, it may be vague and murky, not really telling what the thread is actually about.
#47 of 48 Old 12-06-2013, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Getting into the black.
#48 of 48 Old 12-06-2013, 06:45 PM

Or Becoming Debt Free? Still has "debt" but is a more positive spin.

Good suggestion, orangemomma.

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page