Mothering Forum banner

Thrift Score Holidays - 2013

Tags
frugality
893 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mommariffic 
#1 ·
In the same vein as the Handmade Holidays thread, I thought we could have one for thrifted/second hand holidays as well. While I'd love to do everything hand made, the truth is most of the gifts I give will be second hand scores this year.

Since I'm sure I'm not the only one taking this route, let's all share! So far, I've got the following -

For my son -

Radio Flyer wagon, picked up at Goodwill for $25

Half a dozen books (mostly Richard Scarry), picked up at Goodwill for less than $5

#3 ·
I would be glad to join here as long as we can count items that we actually got for free as well as from thrift stores
:)

Picked up a little wooden chair (toddler sized) from the side of the road for DD. It's nothing fancy, DH will clean it up a bit. Will go perfectly with the little table she got last year for Xmas.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post

The radio flyer is awesome!!
Thanks - I was so excited to find it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemomma View Post

I would be glad to join here as long as we can count items that we actually got for free as well as from thrift stores
:)

Picked up a little wooden chair (toddler sized) from the side of the road for DD. It's nothing fancy, DH will clean it up a bit. Will go perfectly with the little table she got last year for Xmas.
Free is also great! Have you read the blog Roadkill Rescue? It's a whole blog devoted to making over things people find. Great stuff!

#5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion for Roadkill Rescue blog - I put it on my list of blogs to check out!

Another freebie found this time at the dump/transfer station - Melissa and Doug board puzzle - the kind with the wooden shapes that fit into the spaces on the wooden board. Perfect for DD.

Now I just wish I could find something free or at the thrift store for DS - he's a teenager with very specific wants/desires.

Perhaps the money I am saving on DD's gifts could just go towards ones for DS - that's probably the way I will do it.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemomma View Post

Thanks for the suggestion for Roadkill Rescue blog - I put it on my list of blogs to check out!

Another freebie found this time at the dump/transfer station - Melissa and Doug board puzzle - the kind with the wooden shapes that fit into the spaces on the wooden board. Perfect for DD.
It's one of my favorite blogs to read - so much great inspiration. One person's trash is really another person's treasure!

Why would someone throw out a nice puzzle like that! Great score for you though. It really astonishes me what people with throw away...

#7 ·
Haven't started too much holiday shopping yet, but working on it. I normally leave things till' the last minute (aka mid-December) and I'm rushing + paying tons extra for shipping.

I did find DD a few horse-movie-DVDS (she's obsessed with horses) and I got her 3 dvds for $5 (all things she hasn't seen before!) very exciting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.