homeschooling on public assistance - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We homeschool grades 1-9 and have been considering applying for SNAP and medical insurance through the state.  I am just worried that they will say I have to get a job.  My dh works a full time job, but it's just not enough with fours kids still at home.  Does anyone have experience with this?

#2 of 8 Old 11-27-2013, 12:46 PM

My husband works and I stay home.   We've been on snap for years and its no problem.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#3 of 8 Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 PM

It should be no problem.  They just ask how much income is coming in, and you tell them.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#4 of 8 Old 11-28-2013, 12:36 AM

Shouldn't be a problem for SNAP and medical insurance for kids if nothing available reasonably through hubby's work. They may have you do the children's health insurance program through the state instead of Medicaid, but it just depends on your state. 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#5 of 8 Old 11-28-2013, 06:40 AM

Depends on the state. In WA we were told both parents had to work regardless of the age of a child. In MO one parent can SAH if there is a child under age 6 living in the home. They don't care if you homeschool so they expect that if you have school aged children a parent doesn't NEED to be at home.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#6 of 8 Old 11-30-2013, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Its going to vary by state, I know here even a single parent has to work to get SNAP or be in some kind of job search/training activity.  Once your making $218 a week you don't have to participate.

Seriously?
#7 of 8 Old 12-15-2013, 07:34 PM

Just depends on what kind of assistance. Shouldn't be an issue for foodstamps or medical for the kids. (No job search requirements in WA as of this fall when I had applied at least). For TANF, which is actual money, they do require job search. 

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#8 of 8 Old 12-19-2013, 06:59 PM

In our state, in order to maintain your SNAP and assistance, you have to show that you are actively seeking a job as well as attend workshops and mandatory meetings "teaching" you how to get a job.

~~~Jennifer~~~

Mama and stepmama to DSS1 (16), DSS2 (12), DSS3 in heaven, DD1 (9), DSS4 (8), DS1 (7), DD2 (1) and DS2 due spring 2014!

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page