Is it wrong to get a tattoo while on welfare? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 02-10-2014, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I was even wondering are you "not supposed to" get your kids any toys because you could be using that to get off of welfare. There need to be some sacrifices. There needs to be some balance as well.
#32 of 49 Old 02-11-2014, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyFolsom View Post

I didn't realize there were so many replies, I saw the first two and must not have noticed all these! Anyway, I asked for honest replies and that's what I got. I appreciate the feedback! Something that crosses my mind is that the cost of disposable diapers is around 850 a year and the cost of formula is around 1,500 a year. I just wonder why it is so acceptable to buy formula with food stamps or WIC, or buy diapers while on food stamps. In one year of breastfeeding and cloth diapering my two (7 and 20 months old) I save roughly 3,200!! I haven't gotten the tattoo by the way :)

Now I wanna lurk in this thread and see what people say.  I've gotten tattoos on food stamps before(never on welfare though).  I find it interesting to see all the responses.  I wonder if people htink of medicaid as one and the same with programs like food stamps and welfare.  We are now off all aid but for medicaid.  But my job doesn't offer any health insurance.  So it would be pretty impossible to get off medicaid unless I wanted my kids to have no health insurance.  I wonder if that would preclude me from gettingn tattoos in those same people's minds.  I pay a premium for it but it's subsidi*ed because it's medicaid and I'm still at the low end of the spectrum financially.

AllyFolsom likes this.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#33 of 49 Old 02-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMomma View Post

I was even wondering are you "not supposed to" get your kids any toys because you could be using that to get off of welfare. There need to be some sacrifices. There needs to be some balance as well.

I would argue that a couple of toys for one's children and a tattoo are nowhere near the same thing.  Kids need to play - it's their work.  Toys help facilitate that.  Nobody needs a tattoo.  It is purely a luxury item. 

philomom and jessid03 like this.
#34 of 49 Old 02-11-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I find it ineresting the two camps that develop in response to this question:  No, you shouldn't, because the money could be used in a more productive way, and Yes, go ahead, you've sacrificed a lot and would like it.

Many years ago, I stumbled upon the book A framework for Understanding Poverty  http://www.amazon.com/Framework-Understanding-Poverty-5th/dp/1938248015/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392162606&sr=1-1&keywords=framework+for+understanding+poverty  (this is the new edition; the one I read was the 2003 version).  It talks about how there are different rules and social norms for different social classes.  Much of what works for people of middle class are not practical and are not taught  for anyone outside that class, either upper crust or poverty. Much of our  laws, fianancial expectations, and public behaviors are modeled on middle class social rules and values. It shows, in how we repond to questions like these and how we judge, willingly or not, the people around us. A fascinating read.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#35 of 49 Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have been thinking about this. I have to say I'm in the 'no' camp. It's a purchase that's both big and self indulgent. I do think those on welfare should feel free to treat themselves at times but when I think of a treat I think of a magazine, an article of clothing, driving a few hours away to visit family for a day or two, a bottle of wine, a few DVD rentals, a throw blanket. I don't think of a tattoo.

You said you have savings. The asset limit for food stamp eligibility is $2000. Unless it's a really small and simple tattoo it would use a significant portion of those savings. If you have enough to save why not try and get off government assistance so that money can be used for others?

Cloth diapers are great but I don't begrudge a family on public assistance disposables. Not everyone has access to laundry facilities that allow diapers to be washed and many daycares are not willing to use cloth diapers. In my opinion having saved money with cloth diapers does not justify spending a bunch of money on a luxury when taxpayers are buying your food.
swede and jessid03 like this.
#36 of 49 Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I'd like to say though, I really appreciate how kind everyone is being in their responses.  All opinions are well thought out and I like the debate.  It didn't get judge-y which I am thrilled to see.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#37 of 49 Old 02-12-2014, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post

I have been thinking about this. I have to say I'm in the 'no' camp. It's a purchase that's both big and self indulgent. I do think those on welfare should feel free to treat themselves at times but when I think of a treat I think of a magazine, an article of clothing, driving a few hours away to visit family for a day or two, a bottle of wine, a few DVD rentals, a throw blanket. I don't think of a tattoo.

You said you have savings. The asset limit for food stamp eligibility is $2000. Unless it's a really small and simple tattoo it would use a significant portion of those savings. If you have enough to save why not try and get off government assistance so that money can be used for others?

Cloth diapers are great but I don't begrudge a family on public assistance disposables. Not everyone has access to laundry facilities that allow diapers to be washed and many daycares are not willing to use cloth diapers. In my opinion having saved money with cloth diapers does not justify spending a bunch of money on a luxury when taxpayers are buying your food.

This totally. When it comes to the debate of where you could save money to maybe get off assistance different situations still have to be accounted for. I used cloth with my oldest two but not my third most of the time. When I had her though we traveled for dh's job in an rv and didn't have wash facilities of our own. Doing cloth laundry in a camp laundrymat when I was able to use it wouldn't have been an option. Daycares don't generally allow cloth either at least not where I live. I know the one dd briefly attended wouldn't so disposables were required then. Spending on disposables to put a kid in daycare and work is definitely better than using cloth at home without a job purely for that reason. The same debate could get stretched to other things as well like mama cloth, family cloth, etc. Or how to cook to save the most money. We all do the best we can with our situations but a tattoo is truly a luxury only item that can be quite costly. I personally wouldn't do it. I would be concerned about a tattoo in general though and would need a highly trusted and recommended tattoo artist to do it which would make it a costly endeavor though. My list of needs (household items, clothing, kids things, etc) is always long though and a tattoo just never hits the list just as a low income mama with or without assistance involved. 

swede likes this.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#38 of 49 Old 02-13-2014, 01:24 PM

You mentioned you don't spend ANYTHING on yourself... And you already scrimp on everything. 

Will this tattoo give you extra strength to go forward? Is it a part of your mental health self-care? Is it a form of healing therapy? [I don't mean retail therapy at all]  .. From what you mentioned, I think it's a YES to all 3 questions. 

Go for it, mama! 

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
#39 of 49 Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 PM

This is kind of an aside, but a friend of mine was told (by a tattoo shop) that they would not give her a tattoo while she was still breastfeeding.  LLL recommends waiting until the nursing baby turns 1. Other than that consideration, I have no strong opinion on this issue :)

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#40 of 49 Old 02-16-2014, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Why would you have to wait a year if you're nursing to get a tat? Actually curious about this and will look into it.
#41 of 49 Old 02-17-2014, 05:35 AM

From what I understand, it's the risk of infection, which is very low if you take proper care of it...but the shops don't want to take a chance sometimes.  https://www.llli.org/faq/tattoos.html

AllyFolsom likes this.

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#42 of 49 Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 AM

I'm going to put aside the fact you're receiving welfare.

Do you have a budget?  If yes, is there any wiggle room in that budget for you to set aside some tattoo  money over the course of some time?

If so, I see no reason against it.

AllyFolsom likes this.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#43 of 49 Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 AM

I see people on here who are basically saying "No, you shouldn't.It's okay to occasionally treat yourself to a small thing here or there, but not a tattoo." Those "small things" add up. OP is saying that she doesn't usually indulge in these small things. Depending on the cost, it could be about the equivalent of a Redbox movie twice a week for a year, or getting a drink from a coffee shop once a week. I think most people would be OK with someone spending $5 or so on themselves in a week.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#44 of 49 Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think it is strongly advisable to make good/wise/beneficial choices all the time - but especially when you are receiving assistance. I don't care where that assistance is coming from. It could be WIC, a family member or kind stranger.
If a friend of mine was struggling to the point she came to me and asked for help with groceries, I gave her money and she came back with a tattoo, I would be offended and would not offer her money again. 
I know once a gift is given it is the receivers to do with it what they wish but when someone gives a gift in good faith out of charity and concern for someones well being they expect it to actually be used for their well being and that of their children - not fun, expensive items that have no worth other than glamour.

I cannot stress how strongly in favor I am of government aid to those in need. However, I do also believe that it needs to be remembered that aid is a gift given to those who are in need because of extremely difficult circumstances. If you are in a position to afford a tattoo (something my budget wouldn't allow for and I am not receiving aid) then it might be likely you do not need this gift. 

swede and LoveOurBabies like this.

mama to three little ladies
#45 of 49 Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMomma View Post

I would argue that a couple of toys for one's children and a tattoo are nowhere near the same thing.  Kids need to play - it's their work.  Toys help facilitate that.  Nobody needs a tattoo.  It is purely a luxury item. 

I would argue that toys are NOT necessary. Kids will always find a way to play, to do their important work. They wil play with pots and pans, and bowls and spoons. Sticks, leaves, and pebbles. (My children do even with all the toys they have.) So, do kids really NEED all those horrible, cheap plastic toys? No, but obviously some people FEEL that they do. Is a tattoo a need, of course not, but some people may feel they need them. We all have different priorities and different opinions about things that are important to us.
Backroads likes this.

winner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.giftreehugger.gifribbonpink.gifgoorganic.jpg

#46 of 49 Old 03-20-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldoak View Post

I would argue that toys are NOT necessary. Kids will always find a way to play, to do their important work. They wil play with pots and pans, and bowls and spoons. Sticks, leaves, and pebbles. (My children do even with all the toys they have.) So, do kids really NEED all those horrible, cheap plastic toys? No, but obviously some people FEEL that they do. Is a tattoo a need, of course not, but some people may feel they need them. We all have different priorities and different opinions about things that are important to us.

I agree.  But when someone is unable to feed one's children without assistance from the government, their priorities should be to earn financial independence, not body art.

A&A and LoveOurBabies like this.
#47 of 49 Old 04-15-2014, 06:47 PM

I would not judge anyone who got a tattoo while on food stamps or others on government assistance. Who am I to know the frugality practiced in other ways, the reasons for the tattoo, etc? What it comes down to, in my mind, is whether you expect that someone receiving government assistance is some kind of saint who should be under expectations of behaviour far beyond anyone else. It's just a sliding scale: a wealthy person could say that no middle class person should be indulging in things when that person's child doesn't have post-secondary education fully paid for, and so on. It's too easy to feel self-righteous judging the spending of others.
mamapigeon likes this.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#48 of 49 Old 04-16-2014, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

I've been skirting around this thread since it started, but now I'm chiming in. Yes, I think it is wrong to get a tattoo while on welfare. Yes, we all deserve and needs treats in our lives, but sometimes we just can't have them. Sometimes we have to wait. And if someone else has to put food on the table for your family for you (which is what welfare is, in frank language) then other things need to get put on hold. You get the tattoo after you've gotten off welfare, to celebrate and reward yourself. Not before. Any extra funds you have need to go to getting your primary needs back to square. 

swede, mamapigeon and Backroads like this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#49 of 49 Old 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM

I would wait until I felt like it was OK without someone else telling me it was. If you need to ask a board of people if what you are planning is OK then in your heart you know you aren't comfortable with it. If I was questioning a decision and went ahead and did it anyway every reminder of that situation would make me feel guilty. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it so I wouldn't do it.

Just my 2 cents :D

mama24-7 and AllyFolsom like this.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page