Is it wrong to get a tattoo while on welfare? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 49 Old 12-16-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
 
AllyFolsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bristol, Virginia
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I NEVER spend money on myself. Ever. I have wanted this tattoo for a long time. My family is on food stamps. Is it justifiable to spend money on a tattoo that is important to me while on welfare? We scrimp our asses off and have built up a savings. We don't have any debt. When we get our tax return, we will put most of it in savings. I would like to take some out and treat myself. Honest opinions of all kinds are welcome.


Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

AllyFolsom is offline  
#2 of 49 Old 12-16-2013, 05:18 PM
 
MountainMamaGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It is not justified. You are on welfare. A tattoo is not a necessity.  You should put that money toward something that will help you get off welfare. That's what all your "extra" money should be focused on. 


Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
MountainMamaGC is offline  
#3 of 49 Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 PM
 
rachelsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I think it depends.  If you just want it because it's pretty, then it should wait, but if getting this tattoo is part of your metal health self-care in some way, then I say you should get it.

AllyFolsom likes this.
rachelsmama is offline  
#4 of 49 Old 12-16-2013, 06:34 PM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes! It's not okay to spend money on yourself this way when you could use that money to benefit the entire family.
swede and AllyFolsom like this.
philomom is online now  
#5 of 49 Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't think there is anything wrong with treating yourself to something you really want just because you are accepting food stamps right now. Especially given that you say you don't treat yourself and have been working really hard to save. As long as you're not talking about an unreasonable amount of money.

Sometimes our spirits need these things.

How does your family feel about it? If your partner doesn't want you to pull the money from savings, then that is different.

Hoopin' Mama is offline  
#6 of 49 Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 PM
 
bellesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

IMO, I agree with the previous poster that said it is not a necessity.  All additional funds that you have should be focused on getting yourself ahead of the game and eventually off of any type of assistance.  By all means, once you are off assistance and still would like the tattoo and all of your other obligations are met - go for it!

Breastisbest2008 and swede like this.

~~~Jennifer~~~

Mama and stepmama to DSS1 (16), DSS2 (12), DSS3 in heaven, DD1 (9), DSS4 (8), DS1 (7), DD2 (1) and DS2 due spring 2014!

bellesmom is offline  
#7 of 49 Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 PM
 
rainbowasylum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boreal Handbasket
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't think being on assistance means you have to go without anything and everything nice in the world. Now, if you are talking about  deciding to get a tattoo, then asking for assistance paying your rent because the rent money went to ink, yes, there is a problem.  If you are getting a tax return, putting a majority aside to meet your needs/pay bills/ and allowing yourself a small treat that is truly meaningful to you- I think that is absolutely appropriate. 

This is the same argument as people complaining because someone on SNAP buys some steaks and  cookies. Is it something to be done on a daily basis- no, it isn't a responsible use of the resource, but  on occasion it is absolutely reasonable. 

Please do not let anyone make you feel like because you accept assistance, because you are entitled to that assistance, you are not ever entitled to anything you want, and must only live meeting your basic needs.  

rainbowasylum is offline  
#8 of 49 Old 12-19-2013, 09:11 PM
 
farmermomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Go for it. Get one for me too. Needles scare me ;-).
dalia and skinnyloveBC like this.
farmermomma is online now  
#9 of 49 Old 12-20-2013, 11:02 PM
 
swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyFolsom View Post
 

I NEVER spend money on myself. Ever. I have wanted this tattoo for a long time. My family is on food stamps. Is it justifiable to spend money on a tattoo that is important to me while on welfare? We scrimp our asses off and have built up a savings. We don't have any debt. When we get our tax return, we will put most of it in savings. I would like to take some out and treat myself. Honest opinions of all kinds are welcome.

I think it would make more sense to wait until you are off food stamps.  Maybe as a celebration once you are back on your feet.  Would you be able to afford it if you weren't getting food stamps?  If the answer is no, then I would pass.  Buying steaks on food stamps is still food - not a good comparison, IMO.  A tattoo is a luxury. 

USAmma, Satori and LoveOurBabies like this.
swede is offline  
#10 of 49 Old 12-22-2013, 06:50 PM
 
wildmonkeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 1,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have no opinion on this; however, given that you asked it seems like you do.

 

So, honestly...I would wait until you feel like you can enjoy it without asking for permission.

rachelsmama and Turquesa like this.
wildmonkeys is offline  
#11 of 49 Old 12-22-2013, 06:56 PM
 
dalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMomma View Post

Go for it. Get one for me too. Needles scare me ;-).

I love FarmerMomma.

It ain't nobody's business what you do. As long as YOU feel like it's okay and you're being responsible. Being on assistance doesn't mean you can't have anything other than bare essentials ever. You don't have an "A" on your chest!
skinnyloveBC and Viola P like this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

 
joy.gif

dalia is offline  
#12 of 49 Old 12-22-2013, 07:07 PM
 
wildmonkeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 1,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't think it is anyone's business because her family is receiving assistance - it is our business because she asked on the Internet.

 

I stand by that if you are uncomfortable enough to ask for permission - you aren't comfortable. That is my honest opinion.

wildmonkeys is offline  
#13 of 49 Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 PM
 
Viola P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
You're poor but still humsn. As long as its not taking food out of your family's mouth and you can make your obligations I say go for it.
Viola P is offline  
#14 of 49 Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 PM
 
swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola P View Post

You're poor but still humsn. As long as its not taking food out of your family's mouth and you can make your obligations I say go for it.


technically, she can't meet her obligations or feed her family - that's why she is receiving assistance.  A tattoo is not a human right. 

swede is offline  
#15 of 49 Old 12-23-2013, 06:35 AM
 
Poddi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Go for it.  You don't need to ask for strangers' permission for such private matters, do you?  Not everyone can be perfect or be rational all the time.  Although I agree that since you asked, you're probably not too sure about it.  Maybe wait a bit until you're very sure, so you won't regret later.

skinnyloveBC and AllyFolsom like this.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
Poddi is offline  
#16 of 49 Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 AM
 
Sharlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Springfield Mo
Posts: 12,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, its fine to treat yourself with a gift. Enjoy your tattoo smile.gif
skinnyloveBC likes this.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Sharlla is offline  
#17 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 04:40 AM
 
junipermoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone who pays their sitter min wage, or works in management in a company where min wage is given to any segment of workers should have NO RIGHT to get tattoos either. Or dolls for their kiddies. Or
skinnyloveBC likes this.
junipermoon is offline  
#18 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 AM
 
junipermoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kidding. But we are all partof the same puzzle. Strange to me that some folks don't see that.
junipermoon is offline  
#19 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 06:10 AM
 
swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermoon View Post

Anyone who pays their sitter min wage, or works in management in a company where min wage is given to any segment of workers should have NO RIGHT to get tattoos either. Or dolls for their kiddies. Or


Only on MDC.  A tattoo is a luxury.  No debate about that.  When you have trouble making ends meet - you don't get luxuries.  If someone was living hand - t- mouth withOUT government assistance, would anyone encourage her to get a tattoo?  I doubt it.  That would be seen as irresponsible.  But when you are receiving aid, don't let anyone hold you back!

2cutiekitties and Mulvah like this.
swede is offline  
#20 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 06:24 AM
 
junipermoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post


Only on MDC.  A tattoo is a luxury.  No debate about that.  When you have trouble making ends meet - you don't get luxuries.  If someone was living hand - t- mouth withOUT government assistance, would anyone encourage her to get a tattoo?  I doubt it.  That would be seen as irresponsible.  But when you are receiving aid, don't let anyone hold you back!

Thing is, this is complicated. There are so many types of "welfare." Corporate included. Who are we to say because you qualify for benefits there is a moral imperative to go without treats? How unfairly stigmatizing. Seems holier than thou.
junipermoon is offline  
#21 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 06:57 AM
 
swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermoon View Post


Thing is, this is complicated. There are so many types of "welfare." Corporate included. Who are we to say because you qualify for benefits there is a moral imperative to go without treats? How unfairly stigmatizing. Seems holier than thou.


Not holier than thou.  Just reality. 

swede is offline  
#22 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 07:08 AM
 
mamabear0314's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think you would feel better if you waited.

kathirynne likes this.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

mamabear0314 is offline  
#23 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 11:46 AM
 
Soul-O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it comes down to financial responsibility, which is not to say that those who qualify for assistance don't deserve to have nice things now and then. However, if one is planning to spend, say, $200 on a tattoo, couldn't that money be put towards an indulgence that has overall benefit, like good quality clothing & shoes?
Mulvah, ilovemygirl, swede and 1 others like this.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
Soul-O is online now  
#24 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 05:10 PM
 
LoveOurBabies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In an Australian kitchen
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The question here is: Would you have been able to save as much has you NOT been on food stamps? I think people here are pissed because it seems that your savings may have only come about through receiving assistance; and it's unfair to have luxuries when people working full time (who don't receive assistance/food stamps because they are $1000 over the cut off) can't afford a luxury like that

 

For what it's worth, I am on welfare payments and hardly ever spend money on myself either. All of my clothes and shoes are hand me downs - I bought one item for myself in early 2013 (when DH was still employed) and that's because nothing else fit me anymore! I see welfare as a privilege and it's sole purpose is to keep you off the streets with a full belly. The money should be used wisely.

ilovemygirl, swede and jessid03 like this.

 

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

 

 

 

LoveOurBabies is offline  
#25 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 PM
 
Viola P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Op do whatever you want.

Meanwhile she has done what she wanted and is rockin a super awesome half sleeve and feeling 0 guilt about it.

Ha ha!
Viola P is offline  
#26 of 49 Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 PM
 
LoveOurBabies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In an Australian kitchen
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post
 

I think it would make more sense to wait until you are off food stamps.  Maybe as a celebration once you are back on your feet.  Would you be able to afford it if you weren't getting food stamps?  If the answer is no, then I would pass.  Buying steaks on food stamps is still food - not a good comparison, IMO.  A tattoo is a luxury. 

 

I agree. Everyone (from food stamp recipients to the wealthy) has the right to access decent, healthy, clean food and the two (steaks and tattoos) cant be compared. Healthy food is a necessity, tats aren't. 

swede likes this.

 

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

 

 

 

LoveOurBabies is offline  
#27 of 49 Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 PM
 
farmermomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have some friends who have gotten tattoos for loved ones that have passed. It seemed a helpful thing in the grieving process. Not a necessity but not trivial either.
rachelsmama likes this.
farmermomma is online now  
#28 of 49 Old 01-10-2014, 02:51 PM
 
LoveOurBabies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In an Australian kitchen
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMomma View Post

I have some friends who have gotten tattoos for loved ones that have passed. It seemed a helpful thing in the grieving process. Not a necessity but not trivial either.

 

I do too - I'm definitely not immune to the concept of tats in memoriam. I come from a family of tat happy people and most were done because of it having "special meaning".. so I understand that it's not entirely trivial. But they didn't get them while receiving assistance for food. The OP doesn't need our permission to proceed, but she asked for opinions and this is mine: Welfare is for a specific purpose and I personally think it's irresponsible to get a tat while on welfare. Like a PP said.. that money should be spent trying to get off welfare. Being on welfare sucks because it's hard to get ahead with so little in your pocket. If I have an opportunity to get off welfare and start moving forward, you can bet your butt that I'll take it. I don't want to turn this into a debate, so I'm going to stop here.
swede likes this.

 

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

 

 

 

LoveOurBabies is offline  
#29 of 49 Old 01-10-2014, 03:37 PM
 
blessedwithboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

How much money are we talking?


Bring back the old MDC
blessedwithboys is offline  
#30 of 49 Old 02-10-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
 
AllyFolsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bristol, Virginia
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I didn't realize there were so many replies, I saw the first two and must not have noticed all these! Anyway, I asked for honest replies and that's what I got. I appreciate the feedback! Something that crosses my mind is that the cost of disposable diapers is around 850 a year and the cost of formula is around 1,500 a year. I just wonder why it is so acceptable to buy formula with food stamps or WIC, or buy diapers while on food stamps. In one year of breastfeeding and cloth diapering my two (7 and 20 months old) I save roughly 3,200!! I haven't gotten the tattoo by the way :)

dalia likes this.

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

AllyFolsom is offline  
Reply

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off