I want to ask Canada Revenue Agency to lower my debt amount - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-18-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am crawling my way out of poverty and am finally at a good place financially -- still low-income and not financially self-sufficient, but I do have more coming in than going out!

My student loan debts went to collections a while back. There are two. With first one I have managed to pay it down by half. The other one ... Well it just went to collections but they are very understanding. One is with the fed. gov., the other is with the prov. gov.

It has been suggested to me that I ask Canada Revenue to reduce my loan amount. Has anybody done this successfully? If so, what is the best way to approach asking them? How much will they lower it? I have been communicating with them and making regular payments for the past year so, like I said, they are pretty good to deal with.

I would like to get rid of the first loan and then do the same with the second -- pay it down and then ask them to lower it.

Thank for any tips!

#2 of 3 Old 12-28-2013, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Congratulations! What you've done is inspiring. It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have suggestions to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 3 Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know someone who had that, though I don't know the details.  I think you need to be out of school for many years and not able to pay it down.  How long have you been out of school?

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page