Spending Freeze!: January Spend-Less Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 177 Old 01-06-2014, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did our Whole Foods shop today and came home with a ton of fresh produce, plus stocked up on our favorite chicken tenders (a splurge for the kids, they're limited to once a week!), bought some fish, which we haven't had in awhile, the makings for our favorite shrimp stew next week (pricy but we get two meals for four people, plus an extra lunch out of it), and a chicken for bone broth for me during our cleanse. The kids bought their own soup for lunch and DD11 bought herself and her dad oysters to eat raw tonight. Hooray for Christmas money! My cleanse is going well, in spite of all the pitfalls and temptations around this house! DH, who is doing a less strict version, came home with a near migraine (from caffeine withdrawal, IMO) :( We'll be spending the next few days hanging around the house, so should have more no-spend days thumb.gif

Key: 

No unplanned/unbudgeted spending: thumb.gif

Unbudgeted spending: irked.gif

Ate at home all day: yummy.gif

----------------------

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 4/31

1/1: irked.gif yummy.gif Sheets: $21. Redbox: $1.30

1/2: thumb.gif yummy.gif Etsy bag: $72. Groceries: $85 (budgeted).

1/3: thumb.gif yummy.gif

1/4: irked.gif School books/slide kit: $65 (budgeted, used GC). Dinner out: $25. Library fines: hammer.gif

1/5: thumb.gif yummy.gif Groceries: $113 (budgeted).

1/6: thumb.gif yummy.gif Groceries: $209 (budgeted).

1/7: 

1/8: 

1/9: 

1/10: 

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#62 of 177 Old 01-06-2014, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

:throb No spend.

:throb

:throb *Disciplined* spending

shine.gif  Groceries :sipCoffee $2.50 .  Snacks for dd2.

:2whistle DH and I ate lunch out, $20.....

:2whistle Snacks and candy, $6.35

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#63 of 177 Old 01-06-2014, 11:00 PM

Oh my goodness, we spend so much on food! We have spent about 30% of our food budget and it's only the 6th( I did buy tofu & cheese in bulk from Costco which should last the month)! I need to figure out how to stay with budget! My dh works at a grocery store which is both good and bad. He gets a 10% discount & does most the shopping, but he often gets a few items and adds on a couple things. We buy groceries way too much. He doesn't want to do huge shopping trips though. And we have basically no spending money this month & I need to pay some library fines:( 

:love no spending

:thumb budgeted spending

:p no driving/stay home

:( unplanned spending

1- :love

2-:thumb Costco & HFS- groceries, diapers & laundry detergent  

3-:love:p 

4-:thumb bought vitamins

5-:thumb:p dh bought groceries

6-:thumb um, more groceries, just what dh forgot yesterday

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#64 of 177 Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Super frugal trip to the grocery store.  It is always so much easier to stick to the list when I shop alone.  We should be set for 6 or 7 days.  

I had planned to sign up my son for swim lessons today, but he really, really doesn't want them.   I am a little stumped.  He loves to swim, his older siblings are great swimmers and love swim team, but this little guy is just digging in his heels and won't do the lessons.  Part of me thinks this is fine and I am  happy to save the $50, but I also know that we spend a huge amount of time around water and I want him to be safe.  I think we'll just skip them for now and try again in the spring and I'll move $50 to our savings account. 

:thumb no spend/budgeted

nono.gif not in the budget, stupid spending

December 31 -- :thumb gas and groceries, nono.gif 3.00 to vacuum out the van, nono.gif 18.50 New Year's Eve trip for ice cream

January 1 -- :thumb

January 2 -- :thumb groceries

January 3 -- :thumb

January 4 -- :thumb 40.00 family day with the inlaws

January 5 -- :thumb

January 6 -- :thumb

January 7 -- :thumb groceries
January 8

January 9

January 10

January 11

January 12

January 13

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#65 of 177 Old 01-07-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

shine.gif  Groceries :sipCoffee $2.50 .  Snacks for dd2.

:2whistle DH and I ate lunch out, $20.....

:2whistle Grrr... $8.75

Leave it to dh to eat the girls' candy and so we stopped, bought more *and* more for him, plus even more.  Grrrr........ I had not planned on spending on anything but groceries today.

Paid the $1200 ER bill.  Now I guess we have coverage from Jan. 1st, but that didn't help us with this bill.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#66 of 177 Old 01-08-2014, 04:54 AM

I had to run to the library tonight to pick up some hold books, so I stopped at B&N to pick up the girls' new planners (only $4 each, on clearance, out of "school expenses" budget), at BB&B to pick up some new Pedegg blades that I've been needing (out of our "personal care" budget), and at BJ's to buy more salad and clementines for DD8's class today. Not a no-spend day but a budgeted spend day, at least!

Key: 

----------------------

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 4/31

1/4: irked.gif School books/slide kit: $65 (budgeted, used GC). Dinner out: $25. Library fines: hammer.gif

1/7: thumb.gif yummy.gif Student planners: $8 (budgeted). Groceries: $14 (budgeted). Pedeggs: $8 (budgeted). 

1/8: 

1/9: 

1/10: 

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#67 of 177 Old 01-08-2014, 05:05 AM

Hi!  I found this challenge today and would like to join it.  :)  Here is some information about me.

a. Who you are

I am wife and mother of 2, a 5 year old girl and 15 year old boy.  I work outside the home but am home this month on medical leave.  

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) 

We are financial stable but I spend when I am bored, which I am pretty bored right now at home.  I easily find items to buy online and want to go to the mall to entertain myself.  My goal is to use up the groceries in my cupboard and not buy anything outside our budget.

c. How you plan to get there

I will meal plan to use food items and will avoid online spending, will delete email message of sales.  

I am starting today, January 8th.  :thumb

#68 of 177 Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 AM

:nod  No Spend/ Budgeted Spend

shake.gif  Unnecessary/ Un-budgeted Spend

1.  :nod

2.  :nod

3.  :nod

4.  shake.gif   My kitchen scale's batteries died, and DH ran to the grocery store, $70 later.

5.  shake.gif  Ordered a dress, DH picked up cupcakes & chips for DD2's birthday dinner.

6.  :nod

7.  :nod

8.  :nod  Putting this here pre-emptively.  DH's car wouldn't start this morning, thinking the cold zapped the battery.  Fortunately we have funds to cover it.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#69 of 177 Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASunny View Post
will delete email message of sales.  

I am starting today, January 8th.  :thumb

That's a good idea. I unsubscribed from a bunch of advertising e-mails the other day.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#70 of 177 Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 AM

Hey...I'm back for January.

I will start as of today, seeing as how I haven't kept track of the first 7 days of this year.  (Although we did spend yesterday, so maybe I should show that.)

Working mom with DH and DS, 2 dogs, four chickens, 1 guinea, and 2 roosters.

Just trying to keep a curb on the spending.  This thread helps keep me more accountable.

:thumb = no spend/budgeted spend

:( = unbudgeted spend

1-7  :(  

Me  ribbonpink.gif, DH  guitar.gif, DSviolin.gif, 2 dogsdog2.gif,  and 4 chickens and 2 roosterschicken3.gif 
#71 of 177 Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 AM

Another no-spend here.  I can feel myself settling into a nice January groove -- exercise, controlled spending, healthy food.   Kind of a big relief after the merry making of the holidays.  

December 31 -- :thumb gas and groceries, nono.gif 3.00 to vacuum out the van, nono.gif 18.50 New Year's Eve trip for ice cream

January 8 -- :thumb

January 9

January 10

January 11

January 12

January 13

#72 of 177 Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Key:

No spend - :thumb

Budgeted spending - :eyesroll

Necessary unbudgeted spending - :(

Unneccessary unbudgeted spending - :angry

Spending that was fiscally harmful - yikes2.gif

1:  :( - had to get equipment for Xmas gifts not included with the gift

2:  :eyesroll - we eat out weekly at a friend's coffee shop, partially to support her and partially cuz the food is great and we get to spend time together

3:  :eyesroll - grocery shopping day

4:  :thumb

5:  :thumb

6:  :angry - had a bad day and ordered pizza instead of cooking

7:  :angry - got cigs, a pop and some chocolate

8:  :thumb

9: 

10:

11:

12:

13:

14:

15:

16:

17:

18:

19:

20: birthday.gif

21:

22:

23:

24:

25:

26:

27:

28:

29:

30:

31:

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#73 of 177 Old 01-08-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

That's a good idea. I unsubscribed from a bunch of advertising e-mails the other day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Unsubscribing is an idea! I am easily tempted. If I can do anything to limit the temptation, I will be better for it.
#74 of 177 Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 PM

Jan 8th- no unbudgeted spending

Today I met a family member at restaurant in the mall. I need to return a comforter I ordered but didn't like. I realized today just how vulnerable I am in stores. I constantly am seeking a deal, thinking through the mental list of items I need, or think I need, to buy. I need this challenge, desperately and am excited to see a transformation in me.joy.gif
#75 of 177 Old 01-08-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

shine.gif  Groceries :sipCoffee $2.50 .  Snacks for dd2.  All planned.

:2whistle DH and I ate lunch out, $20

:throb Snacks, $2.38......

......yet a huge victory since I didn't buy myself anything, even from my favorite minimart.

#76 of 177 Old 01-09-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Jan 8th- no unbudgeted spending

Today I met a family member at restaurant in the mall. I need to return a comforter I ordered but didn't like. I realized today just how vulnerable I am in stores. I constantly am seeking a deal, thinking through the mental list of items I need, or think I need, to buy. I need this challenge, desperately and am excited to see a transformation in me.joy.gif

I'm the same way except it's almost worse for online shopping because I'm an introvert, so I rarely go out to regular stores. We have Amazon Prime, which is so dangerous for me. I'll go there to research something (reviews or prices or whatever) and the next thing you know I have a bunch of stuff in my cart! I'm trying to just stay off Amazon, or at least be more aware of myself when I go there. You're smart to recognize this pitfall and be prepared to avoid it. Maybe practice making some habits around your wallet--e.g., practice taking it out like you're going to pay for something and think to yourself, "What can I put back on the shelf?". (I've been reading a lot about habits lately, and it's helped me recognize how many of my emotions and desires are triggered. Of course, the harder step is actively making new habits :rotflmao)

#77 of 177 Old 01-09-2014, 06:49 AM

The only money spent yesterday was for DD8's weekly science/history class :D.

Key: 

----------------------

No-unbudgeted-spending days: 6/31

1/7: thumb.gif yummy.gif Student planners: $8 (budgeted). Groceries: $14 (budgeted). Pedeggs: $8 (budgeted). 

1/8: thumb.gif yummy.gif DD8's class: $20 (budgeted).

1/9: 

1/10: 

#78 of 177 Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 AM

:love no spending

:thumb budgeted spending

:p no driving/stay home

:( unplanned spending

1- :love

2-:thumb Costco & HFS- groceries, diapers & laundry detergent  

3-:love:p 

4-:thumb bought vitamins

5-:thumb:p dh bought groceries

6-:thumb um, more groceries, just what dh forgot yesterday

7-:thumb library fines ($28!!)

8-:love

9- 

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#79 of 177 Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post

I'm the same way except it's almost worse for online shopping because I'm an introvert, so I rarely go out to regular stores. We have Amazon Prime, which is so dangerous for me. I'll go there to research something (reviews or prices or whatever) and the next thing you know I have a bunch of stuff in my cart!

My problem is blogs.  I know that blogs are only a small representation of someone's life, but I get so caught up in the beautiful photography and writing.  One of my favorite bloggers did a juice fast and lost quite a bit of weight.  She gushed about how amazing she felt and how transformative the experience was for her.  And wouldn't you know?  A couple of days later, I have bought a juicer.  

Damn it.  I have used it, but I don't really like the way I feel when I drink a lot of juice.  It makes me jittery and upsets my stomach.  The kids use it occasionally, but mostly it is an uncomfortable reminder of my lack of discipline. 

#80 of 177 Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

My problem is blogs.  I know that blogs are only a small representation of someone's life, but I get so caught up in the beautiful photography and writing.  One of my favorite bloggers did a juice fast and lost quite a bit of weight.  She gushed about how amazing she felt and how transformative the experience was for her.  And wouldn't you know?  A couple of days later, I have bought a juicer.  

Damn it.  I have used it, but I don't really like the way I feel when I drink a lot of juice.  It makes me jittery and upsets my stomach.  The kids use it occasionally, but mostly it is an uncomfortable reminder of my lack of discipline. 

LOL! We did that after watching Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. We do use the juicer too, but only rarely. I also (not learning my lesson from the juicer) bought a Vitamix after wanting one for years, with every intention of making green smoothies and revolutionizing our diets...until I made a few duh.gif  I'm a water drinker--I don't even drink soda or milk or OJ. So why I thought I would drink fresh juices--and THEN, after I discovered the juices grossed me out, thought I would drink thick, slushy green smoothies!--is absolutely beyond me. 

I feel the same way you do when I drink the juices. I can't even get enough down without gagging, and then I feel queasy and bloated for the rest of the day. 

#81 of 177 Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post

LOL! We did that after watching Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. We do use the juicer too, but only rarely. I also (not learning my lesson from the juicer) bought a Vitamix after wanting one for years, with every intention of making green smoothies and revolutionizing our diets...until I made a few duh.gif  I'm a water drinker--I don't even drink soda or milk or OJ. So why I thought I would drink fresh juices--and THEN, after I discovered the juices grossed me out, thought I would drink thick, slushy green smoothies!--is absolutely beyond me. 

I feel the same way you do when I drink the juices. I can't even get enough down without gagging, and then I feel queasy and bloated for the rest of the day. 

Yes, yes, yes.  The juicer I have is the one promoted by the the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead guy.  Dos it help that I bought it on sale?

And I have wanted a Vitamix for years.   :o 

I am Ruth and I have no willpower when it comes to buying gadgets. 

#82 of 177 Old 01-09-2014, 03:28 PM

Picked up a thesaurus for dd that she needed for school.   Not a big purchase and I was able to get in and out of the bookstore with a hungry 6 year old and a cranky toddler with a poopy diaper without buying anything else.  I call that a mom win!

Editing to add: Dh stopped and filled the tank, so adding that in.

January 9 -- :thumb 5.99 thesaurus for dd, :thumb gas

January 10

January 11

January 12

January 13

#83 of 177 Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

shine.gif  Groceries :sipCoffee $2.50 .  Snacks for dd2.  All planned.

:2whistle DH and I ate lunch out, $20

:throb Snacks, $2.38......

shine.gif  Groceries

#84 of 177 Old 01-09-2014, 10:09 PM

I'm tired and probably missing something really obvious but how do we get our tracking stuff to carry forward into a new post? I tried copy and paste but that didn't work at all. Thanks!

#85 of 177 Old 01-10-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

Picked up a thesaurus for dd that she needed for school.   Not a big purchase and I was able to get in and out of the bookstore with a hungry 6 year old and a cranky toddler with a poopy diaper without buying anything else.  I call that a mom win!

Ruthie, that is a major accomplishment to get out of the store with a hungry 6 year old and cranky toddler.  Nice work!

#86 of 177 Old 01-10-2014, 03:32 AM

:thumb no spend/budgeted

nono.gif not in the budget, stupid spending

January 8 -- :thumb

January 9 -- :thumb I bought a McDonald's sundae for each of the kids after school from my personal cash.  Otherwise, no spending for the day.  Not spending, actually, felt really good.  :)

January 10

January 11

January 12

January 13

#87 of 177 Old 01-10-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesmama View Post

I'm tired and probably missing something really obvious but how do we get our tracking stuff to carry forward into a new post? I tried copy and paste but that didn't work at all. Thanks!

I do copy and paste rom my previous thread. Maybe try again? Otherwise, you can also click Quote to reply to your previous thread and just fill in the next day's information, or you can open your previous thread in Edit mode, copy it there, and then paste it into a new reply. 

#88 of 177 Old 01-10-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Ruthie, that is a major accomplishment to get out of the store with a hungry 6 year old and cranky toddler.  Nice work!

Thank you for saying so.  It was hard fought.   Our local book store is great, but someone had the bright idea of stocking toys for Christmas this year and now there is a wall of marked-down toys and candy by the entrance.  Gah!

#89 of 177 Old 01-10-2014, 09:37 AM

Shaping up to be another no-spend day.  The kids are busy with school and activities and I am keeping active.  Keeping myself busy is always good for my budget. 

Oh! I cleaned out a section of the garage and found a whole box of fabric and yarn!  So excited.  I have enough to make a quilt and lots of yarn to make....something.  It feels like Christmas all over. 

January 9 -- :thumb 5.99 thesaurus for dd, :thumb gas

January 10 -- :thumb

January 11

January 12

January 13

January 14

January 15

January 16

January 17

#90 of 177 Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 AM

So far, so good!! DP ordered a new phone for me to use until I can buy the phone I really want. That will be here next week. It's so hard to be without a phone!

Today will be a big grocery shopping day (it's like Old Mother Hubbard in our house!).

I can't wait to send in my taxes! Come on, IRS, open up!!

ETA today's spending!

1st - $10 gas, :love:yum

2nd - $33 Turbo Tax, $40 credit card pymt, $1200 mortgage pymt :love:yum

3rd - 45.47 gas, $15 Starbucks card, 12.21 groceries, 7.99 rx for dd2, paid some utility bills and Netflix :love:yum

4th - 25.73 groceries :love:yum

5th - :love:yum (dp bought us pizza in but this doesn't come out of my budget - sneaky)

6th - $11.30 shipping fees for item sold on Ebay, $30 picking up items to sell :love:yum

7th - :love:yum

8th - 16.49 groceries :love:yum

9th - 10.03 gas :love:yum (SO tempted to eat lunch out - the baby had a GI appt. Went right home and made lunch!)

10th - $54 gas, paid babysitter :love :yum (came so close to ordering dinner in because I'm not feeling well and didn't make it to the grocery store.)

11th -

12th -

13th -

14th -

15th -

16th -

17th -

18th -

19th -

20th -

21st -

22nd -

23rd -

24th -

25th -

26th -

27th -

28th -

29th -

30th -

31st -

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page