2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

2014 Low Income Support Thread

happyhats's Avatar happyhats
02:05 PM Liked: 129
#301 of 1315
02-25-2014 | Posts: 1,285
Im still here and kicking, just been fighting a cold and been uber tired. Im fighting between the frugal side of myself and the side that wants to minimize clutter and upgrade a few things. Hugsto all the mamas going through tough times.
ILoveMyBabyBird's Avatar ILoveMyBabyBird
07:36 PM Liked: 127
#302 of 1315
02-25-2014 | Posts: 1,486
Had to take ds in for an infection 20 $ copay. I have decided I am selling anything I can. I want to feel like i have enough pay my bills and pay off my debt I had a lot of family stress this pas t day and my reaction is to sell stuff. Weird but guess it is a coping mechanism to stress
laura163's Avatar laura163
07:04 AM Liked: 37
#303 of 1315
02-26-2014 | Posts: 476

Ilovemybabybird - Totally my first thought too.  And shut off the lights and turn down the heat.  Even though we already do that stuff. I tend to freak out and act a tiny bit irrational.

07:55 PM Liked: 129
#304 of 1315
02-26-2014 | Posts: 1,285
Im tired of late fees. Im tired of debt I cannot pay. Im tired of putting back necessities from the grocery store and telling myself "I can wait until next week". Im really hoping this is the yr it changes. Im having to give up some wants I was looking forward to, but we have some savings and we have cut down on some bills as well. My debt is currently manageable- our car payment and dh student loans.
mar123's Avatar mar123
12:29 PM Liked: 1069
#305 of 1315
02-27-2014 | Posts: 572

From July 2010 to June 2013 my dh was in and out of work; even when he was working, he wasn't making close to what he was before July 2010. I am a teacher, we have three kids, and they are all in Catholic school. Somehow we made it. We had to short sell our house, but that ended up being a blessing because we are now renting a bigger house for $700 less than what our mortgage was. The schools were really great with helping out (where we live the public schools are beyond awful). Now that dh has a really good job with great benefits, we are slowly paying things back. I am also tired of always being behind, etc. It looks like in July, we will be out of the woods. I keep telling him I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm praying it's not a train.

While we wouldn't have been considered low income, even when he was out of work, it was hard to deal with our income being cut in 1/2. I learned so much from this forum by reading. We didn't qualify for any type of assistance because I made too much money, but I sure learned how to cut back!

Now I am working on payment plans and a budget. We cannot slip back into our old spending ways even though we are making good money. I really want to save a significant amount each month. My son will be starting college in the fall. He has qualified for the free state tuition based on grades, he knows he has to take out a loan, and we will be helping with the rest. It is doable, but we need to save. While dh was out of work, I picked up a lot of tutoring jobs, which was great. Some months, that was our food money! It's tempting to turn down some jobs now, but I'm afraid to. Some nights I get panic attacks worrying that he might lose his job again (which isn't valid- the company is busier than ever, he just got a raise after only 7 months, etc). Dh and I both have college degrees and for so long that seemed like protection against anything bad economically. Boy did I learn that wasn't true!

One silver lining is what my kids learned. They have far less materially than what their friends have, and they know why. The 18 and 16 year old work and pay for many of their wants. Last night the 13 year old put this quote up in her room, "There are people happy with far less than what you have." I told her how proud I was of her character. That even though she hears "no" most of the time and has less than her friends, she realizes that there are people who have far less.

Good luck to everyone here. I hope everyone's situations improve!

04:23 PM Liked: 129
#306 of 1315
02-27-2014 | Posts: 1,285
Alright ladies, hit me with yr best staycation ideas! We were hoping to do a small vacay this summer but its not in the cards. Im consoling myself with the fact we were able topay down debts, get savings started, and buy needed household items. But still, we all really need some get away time. One thing I know we are going to do is get a punch card for a pool town over. Forty bucks for twenty visits, which is five trips for my family. And there is an awesome park across the street so if its not disgustingly hot we can picnic and play. There are lots of free or low cost things to do abt an hour from us but we have to work out scheduling so we dont pay tons in gas and eating out. And the kids want fishing poles so we will probably spend some time fishing at the city lake and maybe bringing stale bread for the ducks. My kids are little so they dont even need fishing licenses but dh might get one.
Mylie's Avatar Mylie
04:52 PM Liked: 685
#307 of 1315
02-27-2014 | Posts: 1,596
We cant do a vacation either...By the time I got my bills pd and caught up my taxes are gone...Very thankful for that....I Did want to get a year membership to John Ball Zoo This year but bills came first...to make summer fun we will be doing lots of beach time, picnics at the park and I always do the free stuff the town offers...breaks up the bordem and she doesnt realize we arent going somewhere just because there isnt enough money..
justmama's Avatar justmama
04:26 AM Liked: 349
#308 of 1315
02-28-2014 | Posts: 5,738
Happyhats, know anyone with a tent so you could go camping? Have any hiking in the area or national parks to visit? We are coastal so we spend a ton of time at the beach every year.
Mar123, I'm glad to hear that your teens picked up that message from your struggles over the last 3-4 years. Cultivating gratitude is essential for a happy life in my opinion.

Funeral this morning. Work tomorrow. Kids are home all weekend. Just not really feeling like doing a dang thing. Wanna go back to bed. I just keep telling myself I can rest Sunday until the evening when I have to babysit and that job is a treat. I can make it. Ithink
06:47 AM Liked: 127
#309 of 1315
02-28-2014 | Posts: 1,486
How about frugal ways to stay active as a family? Ds needs guidance in exercise he did soccer last spring and swimming in the summer and again in the fall. Then went to basketball and he is also in cub scouts. Ex pays half. Basket ball is definitely the most bang for our bucks but ds does nt care for it. Since divorce he got thick around the middle and it is imperative I keep him active for his health but spending a total of 250$ in the past year which is my half plus the bballs, gas, snacks, uniform etc is so expensive and dd and I don't get any fitness benefit from it. When it is nice we go walking or to the park but it is hard to keep ds engaged. ...
sdelgadillo389's Avatar sdelgadillo389
10:50 PM Liked: 11
#310 of 1315
02-28-2014 | Posts: 108

Today I am very grateful for my older sister. She took my son to go get his haircut today and I told her how I needed to buy him new shoes next month (in march) since I would have money to budget for them. She came home with 3 new pairs of shoes, pumas, vans and chucks. I am very grateful for them since I can not afford those styles. My clothing limit is $20 a month total for me and my son. So now I get to buy him a new sweater and some long sleeve shirts. I love my sister and brother in law and am very grateful that they are letting me and my son live with them rent free.

frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama
12:12 AM Liked: 130
#311 of 1315
03-01-2014 | Posts: 1,155

Haven't been posting as I'm dealing with a lot of personal stuff. Just don't have mental energy to reply to everyone right now. Hugs to everyone though.

Greatfuls, because I really need to work on being greatful:

~Our kitty got fixed & his rabies shot free today. And he was even good on the bus.

~The massive grocery haul I got free today. Some of it I'm not sure I'll use, but will try.

~ebay sales. Finally had a couple things sell.

12:25 PM Liked: 129
#312 of 1315
03-01-2014 | Posts: 1,285
Babybird, can you see if there are any scholarships available for sports for yr son? Many groups waive fees for low income family. Justmama, borrowing a tent is out. I love our state parks during the day but after I get tired Im off to a/c and a bed. Too humid and too many bugs. Frugalmama, I hope yr doing okay.

I got an informal food drive started through a fb group. I also about fell over at my electric bill. All time high thanks to this winter. Ah well. Im feeling restless. Its tax time so people are moving and doing new things and Im pluggingaway at same old same old.
07:37 PM Liked: 349
#313 of 1315
03-01-2014 | Posts: 5,738

Babybird, how about the recreation dept in your town?  I can't afford $120 every 6 weeks for gymnastics even though my middle one LOOOOOOOVES her some gymnastics.  So every year the rec dept does gymnastics and it's $35 for the 8 week session.  It's not the best, it's way less than she deserves, but it's a treat that she enjoys SO much.  

sdelgadillo, your sister sounds awesome! Where do I sign up for one of those because my sister sucks.  I never got over that toddler phase of wanting to return her.  And I'm 32.

frugalmama, :Hug We love you lady.  Don't be a stranger.

Gratefuls:

-my sales at work have been AWESOME so my commission this week is going to be very exciting.  We may be able to stock up on groceries for a while.

-Got a snuggly baby fix tonight and again tomorrow night.  I love her.  9 months is such an ama*ing age.

-also, got a possible new once a week babysitting job for a 5 month old.  We'll see if that pans out.

-my younger two earned a free slice of pi**a from a local place just by logging the minutes they read every month.  

-I had some extra yarn so I finally replaced the hat that my middle girl borrowed from me and lost at school.  I've been COLD without it.

03:04 PM Liked: 129
#314 of 1315
03-02-2014 | Posts: 1,285
Another super frigid day out there. We had sleet last night and its currently snowing, though Im not sure we will accumulate all that much. Its been a rough winter in our area. Im lucky I can afford the above average electric bills even if they are a squeeze.
05:00 PM Liked: 129
#315 of 1315
03-03-2014 | Posts: 1,285
On the subject of childrenscsports I just saw sign ups for little league in my area and it was 150 bucks! That just seems crazy to me, esp considering the extra costs of the outfit, mitt, and possibly bat. I dont know how parents can afford to put their kids in multiple sports, especially if they have more than one.
09:10 PM Liked: 127
#316 of 1315
03-03-2014 | Posts: 1,486
It was 120 $ for basketball. It equals 3.5 months or so. Ex pays half of that.

On to my rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My debit card info was stolen. Drained 600 $ from my account! I was on the phone canceling the card when a transaction came through ugh I really didn't need this right now
zebra15's Avatar zebra15 (TS)
09:33 PM Liked: 2768
#317 of 1315
03-04-2014 | Posts: 4,767

Im here, dealing with personal stuff.  not in a good mental place right now. 

11:05 AM Liked: 349
#318 of 1315
03-05-2014 | Posts: 5,738

:grouphug  I know everyone is struggling.  Just take it minute by minute.  Rant here when you need to.

01:32 PM Liked: 130
#319 of 1315
03-05-2014 | Posts: 1,155

Zebra - *Hugs*

Right now I am just mentally & spiritually burnt out. Dealing with a lot of personal issues. Struggling to get basic stuff done, like making appointments & getting stuff done around the house. Trying to take it day by day & get through what needs done.

I am so tired of being broke & poor. A local friend was posting stories from an article on FB about, as she put it, "lesser off" folks. I had to slap my hand from replying that I'd LOVE to be as well off as some of the "lesser off" folks she posted about.

Gratefuls, because I need to remind myself that good things still happen:

~It's bulk pickup again! AKA free curb shopping :) Hoping we get some good stuff or stuff I can sell.

~free groceries. Cuz grocery prices went up yet again it seems.

~The $2 Windows Vista CD I found while thrifting worked to upgrade my laptop from XP to Vista. And thankfully my key code from my broken desktop worked to register it.

05:11 PM Liked: 349
#320 of 1315
03-05-2014 | Posts: 5,738

frugalmama, groceries went up a LOT in the last 6 months.  We are choosing smarter, cheaper options like bulk grains and beans.  I'm a little anal about factory farmed meat so we can only afford a little bit of the good stuff so the kids are eating mostly vegetarian with me lately.  Just cooked up our last chicken breast to stretch into quesadillas for lunches this week and cooked up a big pot of lentil sloppy joes.  Fortunately that's one of the very very few "bean" meals they will eat.  They are relying on a lot of homemade yogurt and broccoli and eggs for protein lately.  It's pretty frustrating.  Just when I was so proud to be off food stamps I'm panicking about affording food.  :irked

Grateful:

-standing at the bus stop this morning with the kids and a car stopped to talk to me.  The lady told me that she wanted to let me know that my younger two were very kind to her toddler nephew at the playground and played with him and she wanted to introduce herself.  Was nice to hear that they aren't ALWAYS strangling each other and smacking each other around ya know? :lol  Sometimes they are nice to each other AND other people.

-Even though I didn't want to move to the projects, I'm finding that it's actually kinda nice to be around other people who are struggling too, people that can understand.

-felt rich today.  Gave a handful of pencils to a kid on the playground who said her sister couldn't come out because she didn't bring a pencil home from school to do her homework and her mom was upset.  

-my seedlings are coming up in the windowsill.  Maybe we'll have a balcony garden this year.  I love the little bits of greenery.  It snowed again today. 

crazyms's Avatar crazyms
06:06 PM Liked: 2374
#321 of 1315
03-05-2014 | Posts: 1,203

Justmama that is absolutely amazing about the pencils. I know it's a small thing but anything I can do something like that it just makes my world better! I'm sorry everyone is having things so tough. I honestly think tax season is extra depressing since we get the "extra" money, use it all up to catch up and then are left in the same spot we were in. Just sucks. :(

Things are okay here. I've been really tight with the money here lately trying to hold on to every dime. I got great news today though... dh got to work over! That's a big blessing for us since it means an entire extra paycheck with no benefits held out. This is going to be a big help to getting some of our bills paid off. When the money from that extra check comes in we will be able to do a little more of the repairs to dh's truck (should have it entirely tuned up then) and pay off all the current medical bills! The regular bills are caught up now so that's great. I've managed to stash a tiny bit into savings. It's not much but it's making me feel a little safer. If we can manage to sell some things off in the coming weeks I might just have a chance at moving in the next year. This is a really big deal since our lease is up in June and I really don't know what we'll do then.

06:34 PM Liked: 130
#322 of 1315
03-05-2014 | Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

frugalmama, groceries went up a LOT in the last 6 months.  We are choosing smarter, cheaper options like bulk grains and beans.  I'm a little anal about factory farmed meat so we can only afford a little bit of the good stuff so the kids are eating mostly vegetarian with me lately.  Just cooked up our last chicken breast to stretch into quesadillas for lunches this week and cooked up a big pot of lentil sloppy joes.  Fortunately that's one of the very very few "bean" meals they will eat.  They are relying on a lot of homemade yogurt and broccoli and eggs for protein lately.  It's pretty frustrating.  Just when I was so proud to be off food stamps I'm panicking about affording food.  :irked

*snip*

That's part of what has me worried. It seems like here just in the past week or so it took yet another price hike, honestly. Everytime I go to the store the prices are getting higher & higher, but SNAP isn't. We get the max for FS for a family of 2 - and yet most months I run out by the 3rd week of the month. Even with shopping loss leaders, clearance, couponing and buying conventional stuff. And I've heard rumors that they plan to cut SNAP benefits again soon - I've seen a couple mentions in the most recent SNAP bill, but nothing concrete. I honestly don't know what I would do then.

I'm trying to stretch our FS as far as I can, but most of the cheaper grains & bean options are out for us due to allergies. DD simply does not do well with beans at all, no matter what I try she ends up sick from them. I try to buy meat on clearance as much as possible, and I've totally tossed the idea of organic meat or halal meat as it's so far out of my price range as to be dreaming, although I'd dearly love to buy it. But the reality is that we eat a lot of meat, and without it neither I nor dd do well. I used to be able to fairly regularly pick up boneless skinless chicken on clearance for less than $1/lb - now that same item on clearance is $2/lb {or more}. Ditto with produce - I used to be able to buy "bruised" bananas for .99 for a 4-5lb bag, now instead they don't discount them at all so I pay .49/lb. The cut fruit tubs I used to buy for .99 on clearance now cost upwards of $3 each {and spoil faster than they ever did before}.

I'm already pushing it by eating so much bread products - when I eat too much wheat I feel terrible & my joints flare. But bread is something I can get lots of free w.....so I eat it & feel horrid.

I feel like the nutrition level of our meals is swirling down the drain, and there is nothing I can do about it because prices have jumped so much & SNAP isn't increasing along with them.

And I totally hear you on the nice to be around fellow strugglers. I think that's part of my issue right now, honestly. I live in a neighborhood that is mostly middle class, and no body seems to be struggling like I am.

Union's Avatar Union
09:27 PM Liked: 5
#323 of 1315
03-05-2014 | Posts: 11

That is amazing!! I feel super happy for you. I hope you are doing well on your new JOB!!  :) 

sdelgadillo389's Avatar sdelgadillo389
11:11 AM Liked: 11
#324 of 1315
03-06-2014 | Posts: 108

Yesterday was the first day that I actually went to a food bank. The people there were so nice! I also agree that prices for food have gone up. I used to be able to find such great deals on produce and now I feel like I'm spending twice as much. I also went to a single mother's non profit organization to get a little help. The founder who happens to be a single mother who was struggling told me about another non profit organization but for family. They have free zumba classes, yoga, therapy, couponing classes, cooking classes and so much more. It was amazing to find free stuff to do where I live and to get extra help. So I am grateful that I was able to find these organizations. I also got my tax return yesterday and was able to pay off a credit card before I got a couple hundred dollars in interest, so that feels amazing not having to pay almost $500 in interest. I am still job hunting, David's bridal never called me back on Tuesday like they said they would. But I already knew I wouldn't get the job since I couldn't work on Sundays due to no child care. I also disliked how the manager stated if someone else could watch my kid or tell my current provider to watch him. My current provider is amazing but I respect her religion and let her go to church on Sundays. That to me was very disrespectful and I knew the manager did not have kids. Where I live it is extremely hard to find someone to provide care on the weekends, let alone just Sunday and they usually charge about $300 just for 2 days!!! But I believe going to school right now is more important then finding a part-time job that pays $8 an hour.

04:17 PM Liked: 129
#325 of 1315
03-06-2014 | Posts: 1,285
Glad you had a pleasant experience at the food bank and information on some free things. Doing some spring cleaning here. Cleaned out the pantry for the food pantry since many of oursare struggling. Got some misc clothes ds has outgrown or wont wear for our local frrecycle. I hear ya on food. We pay more for food than any other bill including rent most months. And we arent eating luxury food items though I try to eat whole healthy foods and organic as possible. Trying to do a food box for the mission is hard too since its all non perishable and nonbreakable items. Many people heavily rely on this food so I dont want it to be crap.
10:51 AM Liked: 349
#326 of 1315
03-07-2014 | Posts: 5,738

Stephanie, I'm running into childcare issues like that too and it's SO incredibly frustrating.  Fortunately I've been able to lean on my parents a bit lately but I hate doing it.  Neither of them are in good health so chasing 3 children isn't easy for them.  They had to take my girls this past Saturday and I felt awful because they looked completely wiped out when they brought the kids to me at work after 4 1/2 hours.  I know they enjoy it but.....it's a lot for them.  It's hard to work opposite shifts from my ex because he's at work from 7am until 5:30pm.  Doesn't leave much time for me to work and still have someone to watch my kids.  And my neighbor can only handle so long with them since she's got two of her own, one of which has special needs.  It's a balancing act.  Each week when my work schedule comes out, I feel like I'm struggling to keep my head above water just to find childcare.

Gratefuls:

-I have a job.  It might not be much money and I might struggle with childcare but my state has had cra*y high unemployment since 2007(highest in the nation) so just HAVING a job makes me happy.

-my parents who always find ways to be my childcare solution.  Thank goodness they are both retired now.

-homemade dry shampoo(aka cornstarch).  Just sayin.:wink

-a Saturday off work to relax, run errands, and just have time for ME.

crazyms's Avatar crazyms
12:56 AM Liked: 2374
#327 of 1315
03-08-2014 | Posts: 1,203

Childcare is such a problem! I actually was doing the childcare shuffle myself to make it so work tonight since dh had a last minute workover and now won't be home for two weeks. My mom took them tonight and my sister is taking them tomorrow so I'll manage this weekend. I'm so sick of the work and childcare fight. I barely make any money at my job after paying childcare and gas (none if we don't have business since I'm tip based) and I have to fight to have childcare to go at all. Dh doesn't make much money at his job either since they cut the workover out in Oct although he got to work over this time so I'm hopeful. We really would be better off if we moved to a better area so I could work too (a full time job) but heck we don't make enough to save to be able to move. Ugh just not feeling it today. :(

Satori's Avatar Satori
12:03 PM Liked: 56
#328 of 1315
03-08-2014 | Posts: 7,737

I can sympathize with the childcare issue:( I'm not sure I'm going to be able to go back to work due to dd's needs (she's on SSI). I'm applying to 3 different income based apts (turns out disability services are very different in this state and I can use some of her funds separate from SSI to sound proof her room which makes apt living more doable:) I've wondered about just babysitting for income? How much are you paying for childcare? I know it varies by area and I would be picky about the kids I take but it would be a handy service when someone needs a fill in sitter and I don't mind nights/weekends.

That said I am seriously stressing over bills, its the rent which is now 3 days late or the electric which is about to be shut off and I can't even try agencies until I get the shut off notice. dd7 is sick with croup and making everyone miserable with her tantrums over EVERY. LITTLE. THING. I've only got $47 left in FS for the month to buy produce with, paleo is seriously killing us but its medically necessary. There's a huge produce stand place in the city all summer where you can get stuff cheap when your buying by the bushel, I'm going to learn how to can as much as possible:) As soon as we move I'm going to figure out how to start a garden too even though none of the low incomes have private yards, I just hope the neighbors don't steal my stuff. The weather here will be cold for another 3-4 months:( If I can set aside money for a light set up I can grow hydroponically inside since I have the stuff to do that. Sadly in this house, the room with the light is also one of the coldest and we don't use it and its closed off due to no insulation and its drafty as heck. Whats really sad is its my living room. Its costing $400+ mo just to heat 3 bedrooms, a hallway and the kitchen, it should be against the law to rent places like this with no insulation and tons of drafts:( I have to run the space heater for an hour to get the bathroom up to 60F to shower which brings it up to 70F then I can get dd7 in there quickly before it gets to cold again which only takes minutes. When dd 13 showers we have no hot water for the rest of the day:( We ran out of fuel oil 2 days ago which means I cant dry laundry in the hall anymore and the washer will probably freeze up again since there is no heat to go back there from the hall and were stuck using the laundry mat which is a 30 min drive and of course I'm broke:( This week SUCKS:( Praying we get into one of the low incomes quickly, at least the house owner said I can use my deposit towards the last months rent which will mean we can afford to move into the new place without saving up a huge amount for 1st/last/security.

Don't really have any gratefuls right now, I'm so overwhelmed with everything its hard to see anything positive:( I got one, my car is fixed but I can't afford insurance to drive it at  this point, or the gas for that matter and were 30 min from basic way over priced groceries and an hour from better priced stuff and anything else.

*hugs* to everyone.

05:10 PM Liked: 349
#329 of 1315
03-08-2014 | Posts: 5,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post

I can sympathize with the childcare issue:( I'm not sure I'm going to be able to go back to work due to dd's needs (she's on SSI). I'm applying to 3 different income based apts (turns out disability services are very different in this state and I can use some of her funds separate from SSI to sound proof her room which makes apt living more doable:) I've wondered about just babysitting for income? How much are you paying for childcare? I know it varies by area and I would be picky about the kids I take but it would be a handy service when someone needs a fill in sitter and I don't mind nights/weekends.

That said I am seriously stressing over bills, its the rent which is now 3 days late or the electric which is about to be shut off and I can't even try agencies until I get the shut off notice. dd7 is sick with croup and making everyone miserable with her tantrums over EVERY. LITTLE. THING. I've only got $47 left in FS for the month to buy produce with, paleo is seriously killing us but its medically necessary. There's a huge produce stand place in the city all summer where you can get stuff cheap when your buying by the bushel, I'm going to learn how to can as much as possible:) As soon as we move I'm going to figure out how to start a garden too even though none of the low incomes have private yards, I just hope the neighbors don't steal my stuff. The weather here will be cold for another 3-4 months:( If I can set aside money for a light set up I can grow hydroponically inside since I have the stuff to do that. Sadly in this house, the room with the light is also one of the coldest and we don't use it and its closed off due to no insulation and its drafty as heck. Whats really sad is its my living room. Its costing $400+ mo just to heat 3 bedrooms, a hallway and the kitchen, it should be against the law to rent places like this with no insulation and tons of drafts:( I have to run the space heater for an hour to get the bathroom up to 60F to shower which brings it up to 70F then I can get dd7 in there quickly before it gets to cold again which only takes minutes. When dd 13 showers we have no hot water for the rest of the day:( We ran out of fuel oil 2 days ago which means I cant dry laundry in the hall anymore and the washer will probably freeze up again since there is no heat to go back there from the hall and were stuck using the laundry mat which is a 30 min drive and of course I'm broke:( This week SUCKS:( Praying we get into one of the low incomes quickly, at least the house owner said I can use my deposit towards the last months rent which will mean we can afford to move into the new place without saving up a huge amount for 1st/last/security.

Don't really have any gratefuls right now, I'm so overwhelmed with everything its hard to see anything positive:( I got one, my car is fixed but I can't afford insurance to drive it at  this point, or the gas for that matter and were 30 min from basic way over priced groceries and an hour from better priced stuff and anything else.

*hugs* to everyone.

I babysit for money.  I don't make much. I've been watching my friend's baby since she was 7 weeks old and she's almost 10 months now and I get $7 an hour but do not provide anything other than care.  Mom provides formula and diapers and lately she's been eating solids so I'm going to the store to pick up cheerios and such.  But it's MINIMAL.  I also do before school care and make $50 per week for 3 children from two different families.  I have them for ten hours per week and I do provide breakfast at my cost so it's probably working out to $3-4 an hour or so.  I've had one of those kids for 3 years and the other two for 2 years though so it's working out well.  I'm very close with both families so I also provide sick care as needed and sometimes other babysitting times for them.  I'm the regular sitter for them.  Two of them are sleeping over tonight because mom has a date.  I pick up what I can but it's not a TON of money for the hours I work or are "on call."  But I've been babysitting or a licensed childcare provider for do*ens of families over the last 11 years.  It's the only consistent work I've had.  Pays the bills, ya know?  If you have any questions or you want to be a little more "above board" and create a contract, don't hesitate to pm me.  I've done babysitting, in home daycare(licensed) and also taken child care subsidies from the state and been registered with the state for that.  So I have a lot of experience.

For your dd13, have you tried a timer?  I have to do that with my 13 year old.  She would take 25 minute showers EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. if I let her.  We don't pay for water anymore but we used to and the gas to heat it.  Got nuts.  So the timer is set for a more appropriate time and when it goes off, I reset it for one minute to allow her a chance to rinse off so she doesn't get out with soap in her hair and then that's that.  End of discussion.  

I'm so not trying to be a pain but I love to garden.  I feel like your entire post spoke to me.  lol.  I water bath can but i don't own a pressure canner yet.  Soon I hope.  But I garden and I know all the ghetto tricks to force seeds early in a cold climate.  I'm in New England so we just started seeds but it won't be warm enough outside to transplant warm weather stuff until June.  It's still getting into the 20's at night.  I've even repurposed produce bags from the grocery store as a "greenhouse" to go over pots to keep heat in.  

mamabear0314's Avatar mamabear0314
05:58 PM Liked: 2160
#330 of 1315
03-09-2014 | Posts: 1,296

Sold my old pos van and my wedding rings for $1350 and added $250 from donating plasma to my savings. Still need to sell my w/d set and some baby stuff but I'm feeling so much better..glad to put some cash in my safe. 

My dad is upset with me for donating plasma, they mutilated my arms the first time and it was really ugly. Black and blue 8X10 in bruises on both arms. However it's $240 a month and that covers gas money...

Tags: Frugality , Finances

Reply Subscribe Frugality & Finances