2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

#421 of 1025 Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I know issue with my fridge was I hung clothes on it as I pulled them out of washer(ok stupid I know!)  but maybe that is issue with your-we duct taped our tight every night and it fixed itself mostly.  

Got a credit on electric that is basically 1 1/2 months electric.  That is AMAZING as had no idea it was coming.  Signed up for food stamps and they found out I was eligible.  

Dropped internet to lower speed but no difference so that saved 25 a month or so.  Of course a new bill pops up but it is nice to have good news for a bit.

#422 of 1025 Old 04-13-2014, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Just grocery shopped. So depressing. $74 later I carried five bags up the stairs. :-( I just don't know how we'll make it sometimes. Bills are paid. Rent is paid. Safe for another two weeks until it's all due again. sometimes the struggle seems so futile. Got my house cleaned and laundry done today since we were getting really behind on it all. Took the kids to visit my parents and play outside in the backyard so that was nice. I actually have a lot of hours coming up this week at work so hopefully that will help financially. Got a few opportunities for work coming up so I need to decide how I want to proceed and which road I want to take but it's nice to have choice.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#423 of 1025 Old 04-13-2014, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I hear ya, justmama. It seems like a constant struggle sometimes and constant feast or famine. When there is enough to put aside something happens. Shrugs. On the plus side I was able to get some really nice plus sized clothes off freecycle. Some new stuff for myself plus Im sharing with many others. Easter is costing me very little out of pocket. I got some plates, plastic ware and napkins at dollar tree. We also did a little easter basket for my grandpa who is in assisted living and has dementia so its hard to really take him out for holidays(he gets upset and confused afterwards). I actually have a frugal brag!
#424 of 1025 Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I am sorry Justmsma greensad.gif Been a rotten day here too....
#425 of 1025 Old 04-15-2014, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

In our last semester of college and NO job offers. Everywhere we've applied and really expected to get in hasn't panned out. We really didn't expect to be in this situation and have no idea what we're going to do... My mom has an apartment she can let us stay in for cheap, we can stay with MIL for awhile (she's in the UK, so can't be more than 3 months unless we can get a visa/permanent residence for me- she's covering travel because she REALLY wants to see her grandbaby!), we've got a little in savings, so we're not totally dead in the water, but it's hard not to freak out.

Right now I've got a fundraising campaign to cover my final project expenses, and I'm kind of hoping for a miracle that we can get enough to cover expenses for awhile. I'd love to be able to make money for a freelance artist, but it's not easy to. Even low paying jobs get snatched up FAST by people with way more experience than me, and I don't have a fanbase so I can't make much money on my own...

#426 of 1025 Old 04-15-2014, 02:23 PM

My hubby is up for a promotion today. Wish him luck! Itsin the other plant so its a bit further a drive and its five days instead of four, second shift (still forty hrs). Im not sure what the new pay would be but there is more room for advancement. In other interesting news I may have tracked down a semi local and inexpensive source of raw milk and butter. Its always been waaaay out of my way but if what I heard is true the farmer isnt charging much more than conventional.
sillysapling likes this.
#427 of 1025 Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 PM

Interview seemed to go well, but we have to see where things lead. I did my grocery comparing today for my list. Thanks to easter theres some nice prices on staples.
#428 of 1025 Old 04-17-2014, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So 2 dr.s visits and 80 $ in copays and all my labd are normal though my vit d is borderline low normal. I hope my insurance pays for all the labs work. I was put on prednisone for a couple weeks. The dr admitted he was guessing I had a virus a months ago that threw my system off whack. I have been having dizziness headaches lethargy and leg and knee pain and twice in the past week I had a low grade fever. I know I am probably dealing with ms. I have had these symptoms im the past but diagnosing ms usually takes decades. So I am taking extra vit d and going to finish prednisone and see if I get better.
Finally got support Tuesday. My ex is going nuts and honestly I don't know what to do. Not income related but the decisions I make regarding his psychotic episodes will affect me financially. Either for the better or worse depending on what decision I make.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#429 of 1025 Old 04-19-2014, 08:52 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My heart goes out to all :grouphug.

I am having a rough spell here, too. My "Dream Job" that I have been loving for the last 3 years seems to be morphing into something I will not like. It would take writing a book to explain, but the condensed version is that a new employee with a far different style from mine is rewriting the whole game plan. She has a very assertive personality, and her style is permeating the agency. Much more structure, documentation, formality. Yuck. Just yuck.

It has been about 2 weeks, and I have not heard from the interview I had. I guess it isn't going to happen. That is sort of OK - while it would pay double my current salary, it was 50 miles away. I have another application in for a pretty fantastic job, but I haven't heard. I will keep applying, but it is hard to maintain optimism.

My landlord wrote the weirdest nasty letter the other day. Not only is he raising the rent by $100 (no surprise, but it still sucks), but he complained about the oddest things ((complained in the sense of formal, written documentation). Too much dog poop in the yard - he stepped in some when he came to repair the fence 3 months ago. Well, he still hasn't finished the fence, and really, if you stepped in dog poop, wouldn't you mention it then, not 3 months later? Would you even remember it? Also, when the ugly, cheap vertical blinds broke, rather than asking him to replace them, I took them down, and installed decorative curtain rods, and matching drapes in the dining room and living room. Huge improvement, and I didn't ask him to pay. Now he says I will be responsible for the cost of blinds when I move out. I don't really care - if he charges me, I will take the drapes and rods with me, but wouldn't it have been nicer to just ask me, rather than the nasty accusatory tone of the letter.

All these things are things I can cope with, but it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I am also grumpy because I just got paid 4 days ago, paid some bills and got some groceries, and I am broke now till the first. Car registration is due, and next month will be just the same. It just gets old after a while.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#430 of 1025 Old 04-19-2014, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Ugh, our landlord is a nightmare as well. Over the awful winter, the plows couldn't be bothered clearing our parking spot properly- the other tenants called up the landlord to complain about the plow and how this wasn't fair to us, and she gave us this nasty call about how everyone was complaining about our parking and we needed to fix up our act and be better neighbors. Obviously not the only issue we've had.

#431 of 1025 Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 PM

My apartment can suck bad eggs a lot of the time. You def have my sympathies. My husband keeps talking about looking into buying a home but the responsibility and cost worries me.
#432 of 1025 Old 04-19-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Well my parents had been planning an addition to their house under the guise of "increasing value" for resale purposes. When it fell through my mom seemed more upset about it than I thought she would..I told her that it just wasn't meant to be..she said "The addition was for you and the boys, now what are we going to do?" I said "Can we not do what we've been doing"? She says "That won't work either!" Oh. Ok. I get it now. I'll be applying for HUD housing on Monday I guess. Anyone know how that process works? I'm upset but it's whatever. I thought that we were the kind of family that could have a multi-generational home but my parents care more about their freedom than anything else. I guess it's just because we live in a very hispanic area and I see these homes all the time where several generations live together, abuela watches the kids while mama and papa work and when abuela gets old mama and papa take care of her. Guess it's not in the stars for us though. :/ Oh well.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#433 of 1025 Old 04-19-2014, 05:43 PM

I think we are all getting burnt out of being broke. It's hard when it happens constantly and it's not a stepping stone to something better but a way of life. I'm thinking of all of you and hoping that you all have better things happening next month.

#434 of 1025 Old 04-21-2014, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

I think we are all getting burnt out of being broke. It's hard when it happens constantly and it's not a stepping stone to something better but a way of life. I'm thinking of all of you and hoping that you all have better things happening next month.

No kidding, its frustrating:(

Nothing good here going on, had no rent money since i had to pay an almost $700 utility bill and everyone got there shut off notice before I did so none of the agencies had any funding. Ended up giving my 30 day notice and before the LL said I could use my deposit for my last months rent but he changed his mind and decided that no I couldn't even though 2 weeks before he said I could. If the house had insulation and wasn't so drafty then maybe I wouldn't have such high bills! The weather is warming up and it appears mold is starting to grow in the house and the health dept won't do a thing besides tell me how to get rid of it. Umm, no, its rotted though the exterior wall and into the house, thats not something I can fix! I applied for a couple income based places and I'm really stressing waiting to hear back because were supposed to be out of here in about 2 weeks if we don't get a 3 day notice before then since I didn't actually pay the rent and told him I was using the security deposit as lasts months rent like he AND his rep told me I could. I'm just terrified of getting an eviction on my record, very low income, got old stuff on my credit report thats really dragging down the score and no credit cards to raise the score makes it hard enough to find a decent place, they don't care if you have a perfect rental history, they just look at the dam report:( Debating going to the food bank but not sure what good that would do, last time we went we left with a single can of tuna due to celiac, beef and dairy allergy. I need produce type stuff to complete meals in the pantry and that still doesn't solve the need for protein all day long to keep everyones blood sugar stable. Kids are sick of eggs and refusing to eat them:( I really miss CA right now, we had access to free produce 4 days a week which allowed us to make good healthy meals with staple foods and I could use our SNAP to buy protein and what little produce that wasn't at Fresh Rescue like onions/potatoes. We've been eating more starches then proteins the past few days and its been miserable with everyones mood swings due to the blood sugar swings:(

ugh, I just called the places we applied to and someone else got the apts that were open and a good luck with the next opening! I was #1 on the list with one place and they had 2 openings when I applied and now were some how #4 and the 2 are filled? Anyone know of any blogs on camping or car living with kids? My parents have already said we can't stay with them as they won't deal with my SN kids who are not the perfect children they expect them to be. Step dad honestly thinks the Cleavers are real and every family is supposed to be like them. I will look at 1bedroom apts but it ticks me off that dd13 would get the bedroom to herself because of her attitude towards dd7, I literally can't allow them to share a room for safety. I have to be present at all times when they are together:(  Hoping we see improvement now that we finally got a dx and are getting services started for Autism and one of the therapists is seeing if there is something they can do to lessen dd13's acute hearing. You can whisper in another room with background noise and she still hears you. She expects dead quiet at all times and thats just not fair to me or dd7 to be walking on egg shells because she doesn't like noise unless its something she picks.

The only good thing thats happened lately is an angel sent me some paypal to get the girls some things for easter baskets. It killed me to spend the money on something frivolous but the girls where thrilled between what I bought and what I made.

Seriously?
#435 of 1025 Old 04-21-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Satori - *Hugs*

Justmama - I think you nailed it. We are all tired of being broke.

Just got the electric bill - now waiting for the cut-off notice. Pretty sure the main place I was going to go to is out of funds so not sure what to do. Ditto on the water bill. And I'm freaking out inside about the property taxes that still haven't gotten paid yet. Going through the house today to see if there is anything we can sell to try to come up with the funds. Ebay is dead right now - haven't sold a thing in weeks. I did sell some homeschool stuff on FB, but it's like $50 after shipping so not enough to pay the taxes.

Debating cutting off my net for the summer as soon as I can, and then just using free wifi at mcdonalds & the library. They raised the price of my net to $60  month, and that is just too high IMO. If I can get another kindle off ebay cheap I can make it through the summer without net at home I think. Will have to plan & such to be sure I have everything I need to list on ebay & stuff when I make a trip but I think I can do it. We go nearly every day in summer anyways to escape the heat, so the bus fare cost wouldn't be anything extra.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#436 of 1025 Old 04-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Im so sorry. Everyone seems to be really struggling right now. Im just burnt out in general. We had a very good weekend but Im pooped. Today will probably be an easy day, catching up on some fleaning and diving into library books.
#437 of 1025 Old 04-21-2014, 07:18 PM

Mamas, I don't know what to do. I am on the waiting list for Section 8 Vouchers. I signed up almost 2 years ago, and was told 5 years minimum before my number would come up. Well - I got a letter today saying my number is up to complete our application & determine eligibility. I'm not sure what to do. We are barely getting by in our house and any major repairs are going to be nearly impossible, but on the other hand I really don't know about renting. DD is not the gentlest kiddo & I can easily see having to do a lot of paint touchups, etc to keep a landlord happy. DD has her first friends here, and it's a decent neighborhood with great neighbors. I would hate to move. Plus we'd have to downsize to a 2 bedroom apt from our current 4 bed but tiny house. I'm not even sure how much it would save us either. I think maybe $100 a month savings at best. But it would be no upkeep, no repairs to worry about. Probably no lawn to deal with. Plus it would ever have a/c - something this house doesn't and won't have for quite some time unless I hit a couple of ebay jackpots.

WWYD?

I am considering calling them & either asking if they can put me back on the list further down or if maybe they have some program that would help me stay in the home I've got & to the needed repairs to get a/c & such in here.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#438 of 1025 Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 PM

Frugalmama, I would do it. S 100th is a lot per month. Plus, don't you have to come up with a large sum for taxes on your house every year? I know its not ideal but sometimes we have to make sacrifices. I didn't want to shove my family of three kids and myself into a two bedroom. But it's saving me a ton. And it kept them in the same schools even though it pulled my oldest away from her friend next door. But she adjusted and she's happy here i think.

#439 of 1025 Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 PM

Honestly frugalmama I think you need to do this and once you do you will be so relieved. Typically you dont pay water/sewage in a rental. No need for lawn care. Even if the utlities dont change much since youd be using a/c, that means less leaving yr house because of heat. Yr housing seems to be major source of stress.
#440 of 1025 Old 04-22-2014, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I think you should too frugalmama...those places are based on your income so if it goes down you will be ok..I have my name on our super long list too...It will relieve so much stress for me also when my name finally comes up also....
#441 of 1025 Old 04-22-2014, 07:34 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I also would go ahead with the application process. It will take some time to actually get the voucher, and even once you have it, there is no huge rush to move. Take your time to find a place that suits you - right neighborhood, good landlord; whatever. I have been a homeowner and a renter, and I MUCH prefer renting. I know I will have to pay for some repairs when I move out (YoungSon is anything but gentle!), but when major stuff breaks, I love that the landlord is responsible. Furnace, water heater, roof - all that would be beyond my means. If you really can't find any place to rent, you have no obligation to use the voucher.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#442 of 1025 Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 PM

Little things just keep going wrong this week. Yesterday I broke my only big mixing bowl. I have to mix in my crockpots or pans til I can get a replacement lol. My kids are being grumpy and needy, my house has turned agaist me (things get messy again as soon as I turn around, things keep getting misplaced or broken, etc), I forgot to thaw dinner and my washer is leaking like crazy. Thankfully my dad is coming over tomorrow nightto help me look at that and my portable washer is in my sisters storage if we cannot fix this one. I scrounged up some change for towels I sopped up washer water with so I dont have to worry about them ruined. But I do have a few gratefuls. Dh got a gc at work and used it for new shoes. Tonight hes picking up clothes for son off freecycle. My mom gave me some yummy pumpkin spice soap she wasnt using.
#443 of 1025 Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I am still here...  sending hugs to everyoneone.... taking every hug i can get.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#444 of 1025 Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 PM

Zebra - *hugs*

Well, after talking with the folks at the housing agency & reading their manual to confirm a few things, I am 99% sure I am not going to take it. I know - its crazy. It should be cheaper & easier.

But when I did the math my rent would range anywhere from $50 a month to $150 after the voucher, depending on how much I sold that month, how they figured the self-employment income, etc. The worker's best guess was probably about $100 a month. My current property taxes work out to $80 a month, if I can manage to put that amount back monthly. Utilities only get paid by the agency if either A. they are included in the rent or B. there is a grant deficit {i.e the grant for a family of 2 is $800 a month, and you find a place renting for $700. You would then get the other $100 {possibly} given to you to cover utilities}. The only places I could find with either bills included or renting for less than $800 were all places or neighborhoods worse than our current one - many were places I make a point to avoid due to them being so bad. Most apts in decent parts of town only included water in the rent or trash. I was only able to turn up a handful of apts or houses for rent for $800 or less in good areas after checking the entire city on Zillow. I would have to recertify every 30 days for the 1st year since I'm self employed. After that, any month my income increases or decreases by more than $100 I would have to report & recertify. And if we missed 2 months of our portion of rent in a row {which I can easily see happening during the summer sales slump}, we would be evicted & kicked off the program. So really when I looked at it - it came down to maintance & maybe a nicer place vs. no landlord & safe neighborhood. Pretty sure I'm going with no landlord & a safe neighborhood.

Oh well - it was a nice idea.

Greatfuls:

~Figured out all this before jumping into it.

~Fresh or free run today at the grocery store. Scored much needed milk, juice, bread & veggies for free. Gotta figure out how to fix fresh black eyed peas!

~Had a friend show up at the store while I was there & offer to haul all my groceries to my house for me in her truck. Much easier than lugging it on the bus. And I was able to get the heavy stuff.

~free coupons that spit out at the register today - I found some in the lot, got another round while getting dd a snack to eat while I shopped. Free 24 pack water, 2 free $5 laundry soap {got 2 bottles of purex with each coupon}, and free 5lb potatoes {got some nice organic ones!}. Plus 2 $3 off of $30 order. And I have another water & laundry soap coupon to use next time.

#445 of 1025 Old 04-23-2014, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My husband....Sigh.

He has potential to make ALOT of money but does not want to be in field due to "anxiety" (which I GET as have it too) and is making just about min wage after gas/tolls.  There is some serious issues that I can not get him to see/get help on.  I am not perfect and will admit that one major issue is my pets. 

We are about to lose house and the stress is killing the happiness from the pregnancy.  Everyday that passes I realize he has to deal with his demons.  And not sure if I fit into his life any more.  He wants wants wants with little give.

Got state tax check that covered a mini shop at store(40)  So that was very nice/unexpected to come in that soon. 

Everything for a reason...I say it so often.  Would be nice to get a peek at the REASON!!!

#446 of 1025 Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
. Step dad honestly thinks the Cleavers are real and every family is supposed to be like them.

you should remind him that the cleavers weren't divorced,,,,

#447 of 1025 Old 04-24-2014, 02:48 PM

I cant wait for late spring/early summer to arrive. Im ready for u pick farms and farmers markets. Im hoping to get some farm fresh eggs for an affordable price and pick various produce for the year. We have done well switching over to lower carb eating, now its trying to cut out as much processed stuff as we can. But of course our budget already grew so I want to patiently make the changes needed.
#448 of 1025 Old 04-24-2014, 03:34 PM

Gratefuls:

ABUNDANT work. Holy moly. I've never been so busy. But the checks and cash coming in this week will be good.

Two interviews for full time jobs in the past two days. BUT I talked to one of the guys who said that he'd had 35 applicants for the one job and 9 of them he was seriously considering. greensad.gif God our economy is bad here.

Thought I had no food in the house. Turns out I had supplies for stir fry in the free*er over some rice and chicken noodle soup for the kids(love my free*er) and some chocolate chip cookies made from chickpeas and maple syrup and peanut butter. They were surprisingly delicious.

One of my kids has lice. *sigh* But thankfully, it hasn't spread to the rest of us yet. And she's a blonde so it's a bit easier to see in her thin blonde hair(that's nearly down to her bottom).

Thanks to the lice, my house is now quite clean and nice looking.redface.gif

My house is QUIET right now. It's school vacation week and my kids are just out of control. It's nice that they are with dad for a bit and the house is quiet.

A friend of a friend watched my girls for an hour this morning so I could go to a job interview at the last minute. It wasn't really ideal and didn't want to leave my kids with someone I don't know well but they were fine and hopefully I don't have to do it again. I'm really grateful that this person would be good neough to help me out though, especially if it results in a full time job.

#449 of 1025 Old 04-24-2014, 04:55 PM

I applied for section 8 yesterday, step towards self sufficiency but I'm so nervous about money.. :( 

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#450 of 1025 Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had a rough week here to be positive. I was going over my finances and was beating up myself my debt is still so high but after ggoing over the numbers I think I should be proud of my progress.

October 16 2013 I had 12079.00 in debt and 2500 $ in savings.

In 6 months I have survived the holidays. Paid for a class I needed in cash. Paid my taxed. Had my cc stolen. My ex has paid me 2 weeks late the past two months.i paid for and passed my praxis. Paid all my regular bills and I have paid down 922 $ in my 12079.00 and as of today my bank has 2200 $ in it so I am almost back to my 2500 $ and living a month a head per my ex paying me late.

I know low income is relative and having savings is crucial when I am living on support from ex...I could be doing worse.

Anyway just feeling a bit accomplished atm.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page